ImageImageImage

Summer League '17 (Orlando July 1-6 / Las Vegas July 7-17)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Re: Summer League '17 (Orlando July 1-6 / Las Vegas July 7-17) 

Post#121 » by Darren » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:42 am

CoachJimCarrey wrote:
Darren wrote:Actually, Yogi's scoreless as well. We could be in trouble. Dennis seems to have trouble to handle double teams. While we have won, we are not getting it the right way. We missed some good looks. But we've to find a way to save the legs for Dennis. It is a back-to-back-to-back competition. We can't expect him to score everytime off double team.

Give Dennis some credits. He's so much better as a defender. He finally uses his hands to put pressure on ball. It is much more difficult to see the floor. It also credits turnovers off poor handles and poor decision making. Good job in this regards. I still want to eliminate some unforced turnovers, though.

Our bigs play fairly well on both ends. That's a pleasant surprise. Hopefully, they keep it up. Motley's playing like he belongs now. Great improvements for both guys. They are playing composed and smart.

Next game is a big stage for DFS and Tatum. I hope DFS win. To beat them, we've to limit Tatum from start to finish. This one is one DFS. I expect a change in starting lineup. Maybe we pull Brussino of the game and insert the best defensive guy out here. We've an edge from PG plays. But from what I saw, we have not solved the spacing issues effectively. We're lucky Dennis's hot down the stretch. But we need better game plan and floor game out there. I expect all opponents to crowd the paint to limit Dennis Smith. If we can't solve it, it is tough to win it all. Let's start with watching some films.

I disagree. Junior is being overly selfless, and focusing on jump shots. He rarely presses for his own shots off of the double team. We know he can take it to the rim anytime - he's working on his perceived weaknesses, trying to make them strengths. Thats a great sign of his willingness to work and to improve. His ability to create open shots for his teammates is going to help this team so much.... but remember that it's summer league. Dont look at the results of the shots from these guys, look at how open they are, and imagine Dirk, Wes, Barnes, and Noel as te recipients of those passes. He could be a league leader in assists, IMO

I don't mean he's playing selfish but I mean the teams' point in paints are limited. They adjust to Papa's defense too much. Give him some credits. This Sacremento starter plays very good defender and grabs a lot of boards.
Darren
RealGM

Post#122 » by Darren » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:44 am

Nowitness wrote:DSJ is VERY promising, can play different roles as a scorer and playmaker I feel. Guys like HB, Wes, and Curry will finish the plays DSJ/Brussino couldn't. We should also really consider bringing on Ding and teh new German kid over a guy like DFS imo. As much as I want to see the kid succeed, he's bringing NOTHING on offense, Brussino has actually not looked too bad to me.

I have to disagree. Brussino looks sleepwalking this game on both ends. He looks so disinterested with a I-won't-be-there-anyway-who's-care attitude. He gets blown past easily and passes on wide-open 3s.
Darren
RealGM

Post#123 » by Darren » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:47 am

Nowitness wrote:Is it possible we could sign all the young guys if we waive McBob? Not sure how the two-way contracts work, but maybe stick Motely in the D-League, and then sign Ding and Kleber? Have 10 legit rotation guys and 5 projects.

Not possible. Motley and Kleber has already taken the two 2-wayed contract spot. Rumors is the Mavs want Ding around but he earns 7 digit in China. Therefore, if Ding makes the team, he's on active roster. They are keep evaluating Ding and Ashley to take Brussino's spot. Brussino's got an offer from a European team already.
Darren
RealGM

Post#124 » by Darren » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:50 am

Lord Cuban wrote:DFS is playing so bad...

I don't think he's bad. But he can't make a wide-opened shot at all. However, so is Brussino and Yogi. Both are scoreless the whole game. DFS actually score 7. Most of them are from layups and free throws, though.
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#125 » by spaceballer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:25 pm

NYPost writer:
Read on Twitter

Undrafted guy who got his start with Mavs summer league invite from Donnie:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
k-lynch201
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#126 » by k-lynch201 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:36 am

spaceballer wrote:NYPost writer:
Read on Twitter

Undrafted guy who got his start with Mavs summer league invite from Donnie:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Donavan Mitchell is hands down the guy I would want if we had 9th pick and DSJ was gone. Seeing him play Id much rather him over Ntilikina. He has been real impressive.

DSJ's assists would go way up if Brussino could knock down a single shot all summer league. DFS is still playing at a high enough level.

Cuban commented on Brandan Ashley a week ago, seems like the guy who could make it to training camp out of the summer league roster.
Darren
RealGM

Post#127 » by Darren » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:09 am

Dennis is not playing aggressive this game. Is he saving energy for the next game? If so, why don't we just sit him. Boston sits Tatum as well. We'll likely match up with Lonzo Ball the next game if we advance.
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#128 » by Nowitness » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:18 am

Darren wrote:Dennis is not playing aggressive this game. Is he saving energy for the next game? If so, why don't we just sit him. Boston sits Tatum as well. We'll likely match up with Lonzo Ball the next game if we advance.

Yeah, I think he's for sure reserving energy trying to play tomorrow as well, but if I had to guess the team will just sit him anyways and rest him in the championship (maybe,they may just go for it).
Nowitnessing a legend
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#129 » by Nowitness » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:29 am

Still trying to decide if the Ding love is disrespectful or not haha
Nowitnessing a legend
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#130 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:35 pm

Darren wrote:
Lord Cuban wrote:DFS is playing so bad...

I don't think he's bad. But he can't make a wide-opened shot at all. However, so is Brussino and Yogi. Both are scoreless the whole game. DFS actually score 7. Most of them are from layups and free throws, though.

Yoig gets the benefit of the doubt because he shot 40% on 4.1 attempts per game for Dallas. I don't expect him to continue to be a 40% 3PT shooter, but I would expect a respectable 35%-37% this coming year.

To me though, it's a gut feeling about Brussino vs. DFS. DFS has more NBA ready skills, but unless he can ever hit better than 35% from 3, he won't be a rotational player on a championship caliber team. His team is only above average that can eventually be good. It's not elite, and he is a complete liability on offense. He is still worth investing in and seeing if that shot can come around, but he's not going to make it shooting sub 30% from 3PT range. It's terrible.

As bad as Brussino has been, I still want to invest time in him this year and see how he progresses.
Darren
RealGM

Post#131 » by Darren » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:26 pm

The next game we'll see Ball, Blue and Kuzma. All of them are quite hot now. I expect a pretty difficult defensive outings. Kuzma does raise my eyebows. He's shooting 3s really well and he's a very quick first step with decent handles. Lakers're really lucky to pick him. He's playing a lot better than Zach Collins now. Vander Blue has improved a lot compared with last SL. Lonzo Ball's a very tough cover. We're quite weak defensively. The matchup favors the Lakers a bit. Win or go home. It's a big test to Dennis Smith and his mental toughness as well as his defense. He's not a particular good defender to start with. He's lateral quickness and ability to defend the post are still pretty weak. Rebounding is another huge problems for us. I expect quite some of our rebounders out of positions to guard them tight. It takes a team to pick up for each other.

Meanwhile, Lakers is not a very good defense team. If we can get into rhythm early, we've a good chance to keep a distance from them. 3 pointer differential could be the outcome of this game.

Who's covering Kuzma by the way? We can't get Nerlens Noel there. It could be a serious matchup problem for us. Brooklyn plays well enough to tie with the Lakers until they discover that Kuzma can get everything he wanted.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,084

Post#132 » by Dirk » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:58 pm

Nowitness wrote:Still trying to decide if the Ding love is disrespectful or not haha

I was also thinking that while watching the game. In previous games it actually felt like a nice thing because it came "in the flow of the game". Yesterday it felt like more of a freak show, disrupting the players and not really amusing to see... Singh also got the same reception... so that says it all.

Mr B wrote:
The Mavs (or the league) won't have to wait until KD and Steph are retired. That team won't be together that long. I'd give them 4-5 years max. The luxury tax will eventually break up that team. The process should start next off season when they have to make a decision on Klay Thompson. They will likely have to trade him.

4-5 years max is a lot in NBA terms. Curry/Durant are from 88, so until age 32... it's certainly possible. Depends on injuries. The NBA is depressing for me at the moment... so to think about 4 more years of dominance would be ridiculous.
60/21/10
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Post#133 » by Mr B » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:51 pm

Dirk wrote:
Nowitness wrote:Still trying to decide if the Ding love is disrespectful or not haha

I was also thinking that while watching the game. In previous games it actually felt like a nice thing because it came "in the flow of the game". Yesterday it felt like more of a freak show, disrupting the players and not really amusing to see... Singh also got the same reception... so that says it all.

Mr B wrote:
The Mavs (or the league) won't have to wait until KD and Steph are retired. That team won't be together that long. I'd give them 4-5 years max. The luxury tax will eventually break up that team. The process should start next off season when they have to make a decision on Klay Thompson. They will likely have to trade him.

4-5 years max is a lot in NBA terms. Curry/Durant are from 88, so until age 32... it's certainly possible. Depends on injuries. The NBA is depressing for me at the moment... so to think about 4 more years of dominance would be ridiculous.

During that time Im just going to enjoy watching JR's development and seeing what Donnie does to develop the team. Not only that but I'm interested in watching the whole West develop. The Lakers and Wolves have very good young teams. The Mavs will add another good young player between this season and next off season and the Mavs will be right there in the mix with those really good young teams. 4 years is also not really that long. It takes players time to develop and by then JR should be entering his prime. Barnes and Noel will already be in their prime years. It took the Mavs 8 years to get to their first NBA Finals from the time they drafted Dirk.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#134 » by dirkforpres » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:32 am

This Smith v Ball game has lived up to the hype in the 1st anyway. Exciting matchup for sure
FIRE JASON KIDD
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#135 » by Pinkyring » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:31 am

Brussino and dfs need to go they suck, at least try to add young guys who were washed lotto picks like derrick Williams or thomas Robinson
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#136 » by Absinthe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 am

The Lakers could not miss in the first half. I'm
not surprised if their first half field goal percentage was in the 70s.

Dennis Smith will be legit he reminds me of Francis and Dwayne Wade a lot. I could honestly see him easily averaging 17 and 6 as a rookie.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#137 » by bobsquad » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:34 am

Pinkyring wrote:Brussino and dfs need to go they suck, at least try to add young guys who were washed lotto picks like derrick Williams or thomas Robinson

DFS was a huge disappointment last SL too, especially since he already had a contract. Did you see him in the season? He's an NBA caliber defender on 2s, 3s, 4s. The offensive potential is there even if hasn't put it together yet.
Darren
RealGM

Post#138 » by Darren » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:23 am

bobsquad wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Brussino and dfs need to go they suck, at least try to add young guys who were washed lotto picks like derrick Williams or thomas Robinson

DFS was a huge disappointment last SL too, especially since he already had a contract. Did you see him in the season? He's an NBA caliber defender on 2s, 3s, 4s. The offensive potential is there even if hasn't put it together yet.

He shoots much better alongside Dirk. He's improved his defense disruptiveness. However, he regresses quite some in terms of shooting. His handle is too mechanical. He's not as fiuld as he's last season. Is too early to give in on him, though. As for Brussino, he's clearly an old prospect. We may make a decision before the preseason. At this point, the SL shows we're actually the worst team in the West. The Lakers has improved a lot because of Ball and Kuzma. They picked very well. Along with Ingram, they're surely a no.1 attraction to top free agents like Lebron James and Paul George.

Give them some credits. The Lakers will win an easy finals. We just have too many one-dimensioned players on the roster. In particular, our defense is weak.

Return to Dallas Mavericks