ImageImageImage

Summer League '17 (Orlando July 1-6 / Las Vegas July 7-17)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Re: Summer League '17 (Orlando July 1-6 / Las Vegas July 7-17) 

Post#101 » by Lord Cuban » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:34 am

Brussino will not be in the 2017-18 playing like this... even Ding played way better... That Ashley guy should take his spot in the roster now.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#102 » by Heezzi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:35 am

Darren wrote:
Heezzi wrote:Finley Smith's shot is trash.

So is a couple of guys out there. I'd take his defense. However, we have to solve their bigs. Maybe involve them in pick-n-roll a little more. The spacing is bad. It makes it a lot easier to their defenders to guard the perimeter.

The difference is that his shot has been trash the entire Summer League.
Lord Cuban
Analyst

Post#103 » by Lord Cuban » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:39 am

DFS is playing so bad...
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#104 » by Darren » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:41 am

Lord Cuban wrote:Brussino will not be in the 2017-18 playing like this... even Ding played way better... That Ashley guy should take his spot in the roster now.

He's so much better than he was last summer league. He works really hard to be a stretch 4 and 5 that can guard the paint and rebound a bit. He deserves a longer look. And I agree. We'd better bench Brussino in favor of Ding to start what he can do against Tatum and Brown the next game.
Lord Cuban
Analyst

Post#105 » by Lord Cuban » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:41 am

I don't understand why the Mavs are the 3rd seed in the bracket because they created a easy path for the Lakers.
Lord Cuban
Analyst

Post#106 » by Lord Cuban » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:44 am

Darren wrote:
Lord Cuban wrote:Brussino will not be in the 2017-18 playing like this... even Ding played way better... That Ashley guy should take his spot in the roster now.

He's so much better than he was last summer league. He works really hard to be a stretch 4 and 5 that can guard the paint and rebound a bit. He deserves a longer look.

You are starting to look way obsessed with those small ball thing... this guy's are not Draymond Green or Kevin Durant.
Lord Cuban
Analyst

Post#107 » by Lord Cuban » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:47 am

Dennis Smith Jr. Is playing some great basketball here... that shoot is looking good...
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#108 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:01 am

Dfs and brussino are garbage goodness dsj should have 8 assist at least. He's getting scrubs open looks
Heezzi
Pro Prospect

Post#109 » by Heezzi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:07 am

Pinkyring wrote:Dfs and brussino are garbage goodness dsj should have 8 assist at least. He's getting scrubs open looks

Ding was playing better than both of them.
Darren
RealGM

Post#110 » by Darren » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:07 am

Lord Cuban wrote:
Darren wrote:

He's so much better than he was last summer league. He works really hard to be a stretch 4 and 5 that can guard the paint and rebound a bit. He deserves a longer look.

You are starting to look way obsessed with those small ball thing... this guy's are not Draymond Green or Kevin Durant.

Am I missing anything? He's the biggest guy on our team. Obviously, I am not talking about Brussino at all.
Lord Cuban
Analyst

Post#111 » by Lord Cuban » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:30 am

Darren wrote:Am I missing anything? He's the biggest guy on our team. Obviously, I am not talking about Brussino at all.

Sorry I think I made a confusion with Brussino.

DFS and Brussino played one of the worse games I ever seen... they shouldn't have missed those great opportunities that DSJ created for them. And this scrubs are actually wasting about 5 to 8 great assists by Smith.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect

Post#112 » by Heezzi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:34 am

Lord Cuban wrote:
Darren wrote:Am I missing anything? He's the biggest guy on our team. Obviously, I am not talking about Brussino at all.

Sorry I think I made a confusion with Brussino.

DFS and Brussino played one of the worse games I ever seen... they shouldn't have missed those great opportunities that DSJ created for them. And this scrubs are actually wasting about 5 to 8 great assists by Smith.

At this point, I want to see Motley and Ding start over them.
Darren
RealGM

Post#113 » by Darren » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:42 am

Actually, Yogi's scoreless as well. We could be in trouble. Dennis seems to have trouble to handle double teams. While we have won, we are not getting it the right way. We missed some good looks. But we've to find a way to save the legs for Dennis. It is a back-to-back-to-back competition. We can't expect him to score everytime off double team.

Give Dennis some credits. He's so much better as a defender. He finally uses his hands to put pressure on ball. It is much more difficult to see the floor. It also credits turnovers off poor handles and poor decision making. Good job in this regards. I still want to eliminate some unforced turnovers, though.

Our bigs play fairly well on both ends. That's a pleasant surprise. Hopefully, they keep it up. Motley's playing like he belongs now. Great improvements for both guys. They are playing composed and smart.

Next game is a big stage for DFS and Tatum. I hope DFS win. To beat them, we've to limit Tatum from start to finish. This one is one DFS. I expect a change in starting lineup. Maybe we pull Brussino of the game and insert the best defensive guy out here. We've an edge from PG plays. But from what I saw, we have not solved the spacing issues effectively. We're lucky Dennis's hot down the stretch. But we need better game plan and floor game out there. I expect all opponents to crowd the paint to limit Dennis Smith. If we can't solve it, it is tough to win it all. Let's start with watching some films.
Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,573

Post#114 » by Baz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:01 am

We know DFS is there for his defensive abilities but boy, he was shocking on the other end today.

As for DSJ ... he probably had the greatest dunk miss in Summer League history. His game was solid. We had a couple of turnovers from their full court press in the 4th which we handled terribly, but that's probably because most of the players were scrubs. At least we still in it.
CoachJimCarrey
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#115 » by CoachJimCarrey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:12 am

Darren wrote:Actually, Yogi's scoreless as well. We could be in trouble. Dennis seems to have trouble to handle double teams. While we have won, we are not getting it the right way. We missed some good looks. But we've to find a way to save the legs for Dennis. It is a back-to-back-to-back competition. We can't expect him to score everytime off double team.

Give Dennis some credits. He's so much better as a defender. He finally uses his hands to put pressure on ball. It is much more difficult to see the floor. It also credits turnovers off poor handles and poor decision making. Good job in this regards. I still want to eliminate some unforced turnovers, though.

Our bigs play fairly well on both ends. That's a pleasant surprise. Hopefully, they keep it up. Motley's playing like he belongs now. Great improvements for both guys. They are playing composed and smart.

Next game is a big stage for DFS and Tatum. I hope DFS win. To beat them, we've to limit Tatum from start to finish. This one is one DFS. I expect a change in starting lineup. Maybe we pull Brussino of the game and insert the best defensive guy out here. We've an edge from PG plays. But from what I saw, we have not solved the spacing issues effectively. We're lucky Dennis's hot down the stretch. But we need better game plan and floor game out there. I expect all opponents to crowd the paint to limit Dennis Smith. If we can't solve it, it is tough to win it all. Let's start with watching some films.

I disagree. Junior is being overly selfless, and focusing on jump shots. He rarely presses for his own shots off of the double team. We know he can take it to the rim anytime - he's working on his perceived weaknesses, trying to make them strengths. Thats a great sign of his willingness to work and to improve. His ability to create open shots for his teammates is going to help this team so much.... but remember that it's summer league. Dont look at the results of the shots from these guys, look at how open they are, and imagine Dirk, Wes, Barnes, and Noel as te recipients of those passes. He could be a league leader in assists, IMO
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#116 » by Mr B » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:25 am

CoachJimCarrey wrote:
Darren wrote:Actually, Yogi's scoreless as well. We could be in trouble. Dennis seems to have trouble to handle double teams. While we have won, we are not getting it the right way. We missed some good looks. But we've to find a way to save the legs for Dennis. It is a back-to-back-to-back competition. We can't expect him to score everytime off double team.

I disagree. Junior is being overly selfless, and focusing on jump shots. He rarely presses for his own shots off of the double team. We know he can take it to the rim anytime - he's working on his perceived weaknesses, trying to make them strengths. Thats a great sign of his willingness to work and to improve. His ability to create open shots for his teammates is going to help this team so much.... but remember that it's summer league. Dont look at the results of the shots from these guys, look at how open they are, and imagine Dirk, Wes, Barnes, and Noel as te recipients of those passes. He could be a league leader in assists, IMO

Yea I fully expect his assist numbers to go up once he's surrounded by guys that can finish. Although the Mavs preach ball movement so he will likely also miss out on some assists when they're swinging the ball.
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#117 » by Nowitness » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:27 am

DSJ is VERY promising, can play different roles as a scorer and playmaker I feel. Guys like HB, Wes, and Curry will finish the plays DSJ/Brussino couldn't. We should also really consider bringing on Ding and teh new German kid over a guy like DFS imo. As much as I want to see the kid succeed, he's bringing NOTHING on offense, Brussino has actually not looked too bad to me.
Nowitnessing a legend
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#118 » by Nowitness » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:48 am

Is it possible we could sign all the young guys if we waive McBob? Not sure how the two-way contracts work, but maybe stick Motely in the D-League, and then sign Ding and Kleber? Have 10 legit rotation guys and 5 projects.
Nowitnessing a legend
Lord Cuban
Analyst

Post#119 » by Lord Cuban » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:15 am

Lord Cuban
Analyst

Post#120 » by Lord Cuban » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:32 am

He gotta fix those landings

Return to Dallas Mavericks