ImageImageImage

Summer League '17 (Orlando July 1-6 / Las Vegas July 7-17)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

gomavs
Sophomore
And1: 3

Re: Summer League '17 (Orlando July 1-6 / Las Vegas July 7-17) 

Post#41 » by gomavs » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:49 am

Congratulations to the Mavs for winning the Orlando summer league!

Stats-wise, I like Montero. I didn't get to watch any of the games; does Montero pass the eyeball test? I wish Wood wasn't such a turnover machine.

Well, bring on Vegas!
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#42 » by Nowitness » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:52 am

CHAMPIONSHIP!
Nowitnessing a legend
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#43 » by Torgeir Bryn » Fri Jul 7, 2017 8:39 am

gomavs wrote:Congratulations to the Mavs for winning the Orlando summer league!

Stats-wise, I like Montero. I didn't get to watch any of the games; does Montero pass the eyeball test? I wish Wood wasn't such a turnover machine.

Well, bring on Vegas!

Yeah, I think he played well. Very solid defender, who got a lot of deflections and forced turnovers. Didn't do much with the ball in his hands, but was a confident 3-point shooter.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#44 » by Darren » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:14 pm

Torgeir Bryn wrote:
gomavs wrote:Congratulations to the Mavs for winning the Orlando summer league!

Well, bring on Vegas!

Yeah, I think he played well. Very solid defender, who got a lot of deflections and forced turnovers. Didn't do much with the ball in his hands, but was a confident 3-point shooter.

Pure 3 and D guy. Can run coast to coast. Don't expect him to put the ball on the floor on NBA floor. Not very good decision maker. Like Christian Wood, may look to show off himself for an unnecessary iso play. Well, maybe it's command attitude of rookies. I don't want to overreact on that. But surely, I don't think he's better than Honeycut on our summer league team last summer as a defender and rebounder due to the limitation of size and athleticism.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,010

Post#45 » by Mr B » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:45 pm

It was good to see them go undefeated and the games were more entertaining than I thought they'd be but I'd be surprised if any of these guys make an NBA roster, with the exception of Motley considering he's already signed.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#46 » by JamesConway » Sat Jul 8, 2017 8:24 pm

Dennis Smith's debut is about to start in five minutes against the Bulls' summer league squad (including four current/former lottery picks with Lauri Markkanen, Kris Dunn, Cameron Payne and Denzel Valentine)

Read on Twitter

Should be a fun matchup. CHI is loaded at the guard-positions for SL-standards. Won't be easy for Dennis, especially against Dunn who is a very good perimeter defendder.
gomavs
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#47 » by gomavs » Sat Jul 8, 2017 8:46 pm

I am in Arizona. Is there any way to listen to this game online? Thanks.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,008

Post#48 » by Dirk » Sat Jul 8, 2017 8:55 pm

gomavs wrote:I am in Arizona. Is there any way to listen to this game online? Thanks.

You can watch live here: https://www.mavs.com/watch-2017-dallas-mavericks-summer-league-games-live/
60/21/10
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#49 » by Pinkyring » Sat Jul 8, 2017 10:05 pm

Dsj looking great dfs looks awful
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#50 » by Captain_Obvious » Sat Jul 8, 2017 10:16 pm

#teamDing
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#51 » by Heezzi » Sat Jul 8, 2017 10:31 pm

Look at that. Dallas is on a 7 game dingstreak.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#52 » by Mr B » Sat Jul 8, 2017 10:34 pm

Ding is making himself be noticed. That's really about the best these guys in the summer league can do. Sucks that China has those restrictions on him coming to the NBA. I don't think he's ready for an actual roster spot yet but he seems perfect for one of those two way contracts.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#53 » by dirkforpres » Sat Jul 8, 2017 10:53 pm

DSJ, Ashley, and Ding all looked pretty solid. Im hoping they all find a way onto the roster
FIRE JASON KIDD
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#54 » by JamesConway » Sat Jul 8, 2017 10:59 pm

;feature=youtu.be&a

This is gonna be so much fun with him here at PG. He showed amazing court vision today. The Bulls constantly double-teamed him yet he never lost control, created a ton of open looks for his teammates and sprinkled in those highlight-finishes every once in a while. He definetely chucked a few threes too much but overall that was a highly impressive debut especially in terms of his PG-skills.

For SL-standards our offense was a thing of beauty for large parts of the game and Dennis and Yogi played a big part in that. I can't wait to see those two play for us next season.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#55 » by Eoghan » Sun Jul 9, 2017 3:43 am

Big DSJ fan, since before NC State (and I'm a Wolfpack fan too). I'm ecstatic that you guys drafted Smith. I was really afraid he'd go to someone like Sacto who has no idea what they're doing usually. Carlisle is a smart coach and he's going to get the best out of DSJ.

... And the best out of DSJ is a very, very, very good player. Y'all are going to have fun watching DSJ shred defenses off the P&R and feast at the line (especially after he sheds the "rookie treatment" refs like to do).
Darren
RealGM

Post#56 » by Darren » Sun Jul 9, 2017 5:05 am

Mr B wrote:Ding is making himself be noticed. That's really about the best these guys in the summer league can do. Sucks that China has those restrictions on him coming to the NBA. I don't think he's ready for an actual roster spot yet but he seems perfect for one of those two way contracts.

Like I said earlier, he's better than Yi Jianlian. Of course, he's much better chance to get minutes more than garbage time than Brussino who's nothing more than a shooter. Ding is strong and explosive. He can rebound and dish. He's adequate defender. But his lateral quickness is not much better than Calderon. He's enough as a backup SF. His competitive spirit is rare among young players. As of now, he struggles to stay in front of quicker player. That being said, he needs to be able to guard the two in next level. Of course, he needs to shoot from mid-range and long-range better than that.

After all, he's skillsets pace him well to nba floor a lot more than Yi Jianlian. At least, he's got a well-defined position to start with. And he can play adequate defense and able to do everything else even if his jumpers has yet to fall. Therefore, I want to keep him over Brussino. However, I think Brandan Paul is better at this point.
Darren
RealGM

Post#57 » by Darren » Sun Jul 9, 2017 5:08 am

I haven't watched the game. How's Dennis Smith's defense? I think doubters criticize this part the most. He's better facilitator than we notice. He's the day one starter for us coming season. Yogi's playing well again.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#58 » by Mr B » Sun Jul 9, 2017 5:27 am

Darren wrote:
Mr B wrote:Ding is making himself be noticed. That's really about the best these guys in the summer league can do. Sucks that China has those restrictions on him coming to the NBA. I don't think he's ready for an actual roster spot yet but he seems perfect for one of those two way contracts.

Like I said earlier, he's better than Yi Jianlian. Of course, he's much better chance to get minutes more than garbage time than Brussino who's nothing more than a shooter. Ding is strong and explosive. He can rebound and dish. He's adequate defender. But his lateral quickness is not much better than Calderon. He's enough as a backup SF. His competitive spirit is rare among young players. As of now, he struggles to stay in front of quicker player. That being said, he needs to be able to guard the two in next level. Of course, he needs to shoot from mid-range and long-range better than that.

After all, he's skillsets pace him well to nba floor a lot more than Yi Jianlian. At least, he's got a well-defined position to start with. And he can play adequate defense and able to do everything else even if his jumpers has yet to fall. Therefore, I want to keep him over Brussino. However, I think Brandan Paul is better at this point.

Personally I really like Brussino but he really does need to show something. If he wants to remain in Dallas beyond this year he needs to take the next step. Ding kind of reminds me of Eduardo Najara except his defense isn't nearly as good as Najara's was. Ding has an ability to just get in people's way or to try just hard enough to do something positive.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#59 » by Mr B » Sun Jul 9, 2017 5:34 am

Darren wrote:I haven't watched the game. How's Dennis Smith's defense? I think doubters criticize this part the most. He's better facilitator than we notice. He's the day one starter for us coming season. Yogi's playing well again.

He still needs a lot of work but just like everyone already knew he has a pretty great ability to score whenever he wants to. He can get to the bucket at will. If any of these guys could throw a good alleyoop pass he would have had at least 2 highlight reel dunks. He needs to develop a consistent mid range jump shot though. He also needs to get consistent from 3. I'd also like to see him develop a running floater. I also would like to see him running the P&R more though.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#60 » by Heezzi » Sun Jul 9, 2017 5:43 am

Darren wrote:I haven't watched the game. How's Dennis Smith's defense? I think doubters criticize this part the most. He's better facilitator than we notice. He's the day one starter for us coming season. Yogi's playing well again.

You need to watch the game. Ding's defense was quite good.

Return to Dallas Mavericks