ImageImageImage

Has Nerlens Noel been officially signed yet?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Re: Has Nerlens Noel been officially signed yet? 

Post#41 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:53 am

Knosh wrote:[

:o :o :o

I don't think Dallas is going to offer him 4/80. I'd offer 4/60 and wait for him to take that or sign an offer sheet or take the QO. I doubt he get's much more at this point and I'm fine with him taking the QO. If he looks good next season you still can pay him next year

Really good to see you around mate.

I get where you are coming from. And yeah it doesn't look as likely that he is getting that now, tho it was rumored Dallas offered him even a bit more than that originally but he thought he could get a max offer sheet so they essentially told him to go bring it back.

I think Noel would be foolish to sign for the QO with his injury history, the soft market for big men, and the lack of cap space in the market next year. Does that mean Dallas gets a better deal? Yeah I think it does, but I think Dallas wants him to still feel good about his contract, and want to maintain a good relationship with Happy Walters so I still think some middle ground will be found.

But all leverage belongs to Dallas at this point with no team left with enough cap space.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#42 » by The Sparest » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:18 am

I would offer him 4 years 72 million, front loaded, with a PO on a 50% guaranteed final year.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#43 » by Darren » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:56 pm

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1530406

Good read from Philly's board. Nice breakdown of Noel's game and personality. I am more confortable that he takes QO now. The words 'questionable work ethics' and 'has not improved at all in 3 years' leave an impression to me. We should not overpay him for a mile.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,039

Post#44 » by Mr B » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:44 pm

Darren wrote:viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1530406

Good read from Philly's board. Nice breakdown of Noel's game and personality. I am more confortable that he takes QO now. The words 'questionable work ethics' and 'has not improved at all in 3 years' leave an impression to me. We should not overpay him for a mile.

How much of that has to do with Philly's coaching though? They have several young high lotto picks that haven't improved at all.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#45 » by dirkforpres » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Nerlens was in a toxic environment in Philly with essentially no talent on the team aside from him. I can imagine it being pretty difficult for anyone to improve there when they encouraged tanking for 5 years in a row. I think he showed enough here last season to warrant a multi-year deal and if we get him for a discounted price than originally expected, then that's all the better
FIRE JASON KIDD
Darren
RealGM

Post#46 » by Darren » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:31 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

Nerlens was in a toxic environment in Philly with essentially no talent on the team aside from him. I can imagine it being pretty difficult for anyone to improve there when they encouraged tanking for 5 years in a row. I think he showed enough here last season to warrant a multi-year deal and if we get him for a discounted price than originally expected, then that's all the better

Okay, we'll see. Still, I think he should be able to shoot 60% from the field and 75% from the free throw lines. That's the improvement he has to make anyway. Both Brandan Wright and Tyson Chandler shoot 70% from the field with Mavs system surrounded by great shooters. Free throws tell a lot about efforts. With his athleticism, he should have got to the line a lot. So, it's essential skills moving forward.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,071

Post#47 » by Dirk » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:39 pm

Mr B wrote:

How much of that has to do with Philly's coaching though? They have several young high lotto picks that haven't improved at all.

Regarding Sixers fans...

Before the trade, I was actually a bit shocked about what felt like many who wanted to keep Noel and re-sign him, even if it cost a lot of money. And of course, after the trade, the majority of them hated it. He has some red flags, but he showed enough with the Mavs to justify investing in him, so whatever happened with the Sixers is not very relevant.

In this whole process, I only saw the Nets as a real candidate to give him 20 million/year. Other than them I just couldn't see any other team with need/cap space and with them not going after him... it's not surprising that the market isn't there. This whole thing may mean that the Mavs are more careful with their spending after the debacle with the Matthews contract or even the Powell contract.

Ideally a contract is agreed sooner rather than later. This thing dragging on or him playing under the QO just isn't good for anyone.
60/21/10
Mr B
RealGM

Post#48 » by Mr B » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:58 am

Darren wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Okay, we'll see. Still, I think he should be able to shoot 60% from the field and 75% from the free throw lines. That's the improvement he has to make anyway. Both Brandan Wright and Tyson Chandler shoot 70% from the field with Mavs system surrounded by great shooters. Free throws tell a lot about efforts. With his athleticism, he should have got to the line a lot. So, it's essential skills moving forward.

I fully expect his FG% to increase quite a bit. A lot of that will depend on Jr's ability to throw the lob pass and how quick he and Noel develop chemistry in the P&R.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#49 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:37 am

Noel was 7th among starting centers in effective FG% and 8th in overall FG% last year. And he hit 69% of FTs last year. He is fine there. He is likely never going to be more than what Tyson Chandler was, but that's fine. We don't need more than that.

I can't imagine we want him to go into UFA next year. Even if it's a bad year for him to enter based on cap space + FAs available, it's a dangerous game. I would rather lock him into a deal where>...if he progresses, we get a steal. If he doesn't, he may be a bit overpaid. It's a risk, but I still see him as a valuable piece of the puzzle. Do I give him $20-22 mill per like he wants? No. Do I give him $16-$18-mill per like the market dictates? Yes.

I don't even know how contracts work, but if we could give him overall throughout the contract if we could front-load a heavy amount in Y1 and Y2 so we have flexibility in Y3 and Y4.
Darren
RealGM

Post#50 » by Darren » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:00 am

Pointguard01 wrote:Noel was 7th among starting centers in effective FG% and 8th in overall FG% last year. And he hit 69% of FTs last year. He is fine there. He is likely never going to be more than what Tyson Chandler was, but that's fine. We don't need more than that.

I can't imagine we want him to go into UFA next year. Even if it's a bad year for him to enter based on cap space + FAs available, it's a dangerous game. I would rather lock him into a deal where>...if he progresses, we get a steal. If he doesn't, he may be a bit overpaid. It's a risk, but I still see him as a valuable piece of the puzzle. Do I give him $20-22 mill per like he wants? No. Do I give him $16-$18-mill per like the market dictates? Yes.

I don't even know how contracts work, but if we could give him overall throughout the contract if we could front-load a heavy amount in Y1 and Y2 so we have flexibility in Y3 and Y4.

I'd rake 16-18M per as well even if he doesn't improve that much. We're perfectly fine with that. Playing 5 at NBA level is tiresome, overpay him a bit as a compensation is okay. However, I am a bit worry to give him a lucrative contract to sit on the bench. There's a history for centers to look for massive overpayment and sit on the bench. I'd rather train him to be a 20PPG scorer and pay him the max the next contract. I want him to be skilled at something. Athleticism doesn't prolong career of most athletic centers in the NBA.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#51 » by Mr B » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:Noel was 7th among starting centers in effective FG% and 8th in overall FG% last year. And he hit 69% of FTs last year. He is fine there. He is likely never going to be more than what Tyson Chandler was, but that's fine. We don't need more than that.

That's exactly what I would do. Like I said earlier give him his $16-$18 mil a year and lock him up long term. Another thing you have to factor in is that the NBA is really run by the agents. They are really the ones that dictate where the majority of the players go (the mega stars being the exceptions). If they lowball Noel his agent might be more inclined to suggest future clients not deal with the Mavs. Cuban already knows this though which is why he's spent years building a good relationship with Dan Fagen (Noel's agent). So when all is said and done Noel will get his money.
SLATER
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#52 » by SLATER » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:54 pm

Reading thru this thread and it seems the overall opinion is fairly positive. I've read specifics about his maturity issues and feel like I have a grasp on that. His work ethic is questioned (in a broad sense) and I'm curious if there are specific examples of what's going on there...
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,821

Post#53 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:03 pm

SLATER wrote:

Reading thru this thread and it seems the overall opinion is fairly positive. I've read specifics about his maturity issues and feel like I have a grasp on that. His work ethic is questioned (in a broad sense) and I'm curious if there are specific examples of what's going on there...

I think you have to believe in the Mavs culture led by Dirk, Rick, Harrison, and Wes and say he's not going to be able to get away with not working hard. I don't know as much about the Sixers culture, but obviously his tenure there was during "The Process" when they actively trying to avoid winning so I could see how that could be discouraging to a young player--especially when my first 2 summers they draft a guy in the top 3 who plays my position.

Now maybe he does have legit issues in this area and it backfires on Dallas, but at least he's in one of the best possible locations to address those issues.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
k-lynch201
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#54 » by k-lynch201 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Mr B wrote:

That's exactly what I would do. Like I said earlier give him his $16-$18 mil a year and lock him up long term. Another thing you have to factor in is that the NBA is really run by the agents. They are really the ones that dictate where the majority of the players go (the mega stars being the exceptions). If they lowball Noel his agent might be more inclined to suggest future clients not deal with the Mavs. Cuban already knows this though which is why he's spent years building a good relationship with Dan Fagen (Noel's agent). So when all is said and done Noel will get his money.

Last I checked Noels agent is Happy Walters...not sure how much it should matter in this case, but it might.

We have had a lot of success with players that have Fegan as their agent in the past..
Mr B
RealGM

Post#55 » by Mr B » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:21 pm

k-lynch201 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Last I checked Noels agent is Happy Walters...not sure how much it should matter in this case, but it might.

We have had a lot of success with players that have Fegan as their agent in the past..

My mistake, I was reading an article that was posted 7 months ago that said he had fired his agent and was expected to sign with Fagen. Doesn't appear he ever did though.
SLATER
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#56 » by SLATER » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:15 pm

I think you have to believe in the Mavs culture led by Dirk, Rick, Harrison, and Wes and say he's not going to be able to get away with not working hard. I don't know as much about the Sixers culture, but obviously his tenure there was during "The Process" when they actively trying to avoid winning so I could see how that could be discouraging to a young player--especially when my first 2 summers they draft a guy in the top 3 who plays my position.

Now maybe he does have legit issues in this area and it backfires on Dallas, but at least he's in one of the best possible locations to address those issues.

Well put, agreed.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,670

Post#57 » by LordCovington33 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:07 pm

JamesConway wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Through the first 11 days of free agency, only 8 teams have significant cap space: Atlanta ($13.4M), Brooklyn ($16.5M), Denver ($5.3M), Indiana ($5.5M), LA Lakers ($17M), Orlando ($8.8M), Philadelphia ($15.1M) and Sacramento ($5.9M). Chicago, Dallas, Phoenix and Utah are operating as a team over the cap.

Promising stuff.

Edit: welp....
Read on Twitter

I still cannot get past that he is no longer a sixer. One of my favorite players. :cry: Dallas is one of those teams I am looking forward watching next season. Smith is so good.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,670

Post#58 » by LordCovington33 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:14 pm

I wouldn't read much into it. Having three centers fighting for starter minutes was bound to cause problems. He said stuff to the media last season, but I wouldn't hold that against him. He was frustrated with his situation during a contract year.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#59 » by JamesConway » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Sefko just quoted Nerlen's agent Happy Walters stating that: "we're very disappointed with where things stand" and that "Nerlens loves Dallas and spent June there working out, but we're still waiting on a serious offer"
k-lynch201
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#60 » by k-lynch201 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 pm

JamesConway wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sefko just quoted Nerlen's agent Happy Walters stating that: "we're very disappointed with where things stand" and that "Nerlens loves Dallas and spent June there working out, but we're still waiting on a serious offer"

Keep waiting NN. The market dictates for every other player, you're no different.

Im fine with the QO at this point, sucks we gave up Simba and the 2nd rounders but we will have all the more cap space next summer, beats overpaying imo.

Return to Dallas Mavericks