ImageImageImage

Maxi Kleber, just a guy from Germany

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Re: Maxi Kleber - extended 4 yrs/33M 

Post#101 » by BlueSan » Fri Jul 5, 2019 1:37 pm

I wouldnt go as far as that but I will definitely say that between Maxi and Powell Maxi is the more valuable guy and I agree we should let Powell walk. In fact Statistics says that Powell with Maxi on the floor worked great in 2018 but without Maxi he was absolutely terrible. Look it up for yourself guys
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#102 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jul 5, 2019 1:57 pm

BlueSan wrote:I wouldnt go as far as that but I will definitely say that between Maxi and Powell Maxi is the more valuable guy and I agree we should let Powell walk. In fact Statistics says that Powell with Maxi on the floor worked great in 2018 but without Maxi he was absolutely terrible. Look it up for yourself guys

I think most ppl who truly watch the Mavs would agree maxi is better than Powell, so why Powell makes more money is just puzzling and bizarre.
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#103 » by burek3 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 3:47 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
BlueSan wrote:I wouldnt go as far as that but I will definitely say that between Maxi and Powell Maxi is the more valuable guy and I agree we should let Powell walk. In fact Statistics says that Powell with Maxi on the floor worked great in 2018 but without Maxi he was absolutely terrible. Look it up for yourself guys

I think most ppl who truly watch the Mavs would agree maxi is better than Powell, so why Powell makes more money is just puzzling and bizarre.

Loyalty something something
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#104 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jul 5, 2019 3:50 pm

burek3 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Loyality for what? He's a decent player, but he hasn't moved any needle for this team? He deserves the annual amount that Kleber got, maybe a little less. They didnt show any loyalty to Tyson Chandler who was a big part of bringing a title to Dallas. So why does Powell get this? It's not loyalty, its Cuban/Nelson knowing they got destroyed in the Rondo trade, but trying to use Powell as an excuse to try and convince ppl that it wasn't so bad.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#105 » by 2011Champs » Fri Jul 5, 2019 4:25 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
burek3 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Loyality for what? He's a decent player, but he hasn't moved any needle for this team? He deserves the annual amount that Kleber got, maybe a little less. They didnt show any loyalty to Tyson Chandler who was a big part of bringing a title to Dallas. So why does Powell get this? It's not loyalty, its Cuban/Nelson knowing they got destroyed in the Rondo trade, but trying to use Powell as an excuse to try and convince ppl that it wasn't so bad.

One gauge of Powell’s value is interest from other team’s fan bases. So far I’ve never seen any interest.
I agree with the Rondo connection. Mavs still trying to prove they didn’t get bent over in the deal.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,010

Post#106 » by Mr B » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:36 pm

2011Champs wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
burek3 wrote:

One gauge of Powell’s value is interest from other team’s fan bases. So far I’ve never seen any interest.
I agree with the Rondo connection. Mavs still trying to prove they didn’t get bent over in the deal.

Really? I’ve read quite a few fans from Raptors, Sixers (before Horford), Lakers, and even Warriors that wanted Powell. Not for more than what he got with the Mavs but there was interest in him. The only reason I can guess that he got more than Powell though is because he is near elite at 1 thing (being a roll man). Maxi is good at a lot of things but not great at anything. Powell will also likely end up starting more games than Maxi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,950

Post#107 » by Archx » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:45 pm

Mr B wrote:
2011Champs wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Really? I’ve read quite a few fans from Raptors, Sixers (before Horford), Lakers, and even Warriors that wanted Powell. Not for more than what he got with the Mavs but there was interest in him. The only reason I can guess that he got more than Powell though is because he is near elite at 1 thing (being a roll man). Maxi is good at a lot of things but not great at anything. Powell will also likely end up starting more games than Maxi.

Same goes for Maxi. A lot of fans from various teams wanted Maxi. It's basically only our fanbase who doesn't want both Powell and Maxi for some reason. And it's not like they have expensive contracts.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#108 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:46 pm

Archx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
2011Champs wrote:One gauge of Powell’s value is interest from other team’s fan bases. So far I’ve never seen any interest.

Same goes for Maxi. A lot of fans from various teams wanted Maxi. It's basically only our fanbase who doesn't want both Powell and Maxi for some reason. And it's not like they have expensive contracts.

Powell is pretty expensive. When you factor in we have KP and Maxi, and still have a glaring rebounding need, that's the issue with bringing back Powell at that contract.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#109 » by Mr B » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:13 pm

Archx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
2011Champs wrote:One gauge of Powell’s value is interest from other team’s fan bases. So far I’ve never seen any interest.

I mean I do understand that having both is a bit redundant it both are solid backup big men. And like you said, their contracts are very reasonable and either could easily be included in a trade at the deadline. With all of the contracts they have signed the Mavs have given themselves a lot of flexibility.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#110 » by Mr B » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:20 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Powell is pretty expensive. When you factor in we have KP and Maxi, and still have a glaring rebounding need, that's the issue with bringing back Powell at that contract.

He’s really not expensive at all. I understand what you’re trying to say but his contract is very tradeable. So is Maxi’s. The rebuild is not complete by any means. I expect that hole will be filled at the deadline or next off season.

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,007

Post#111 » by Dirk » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:25 pm

25 year old TJ Warren shot .428% from 3 and averaged 18ppg. His salary was "reasonable". The Suns attached a pick to trade him away. Granted the Suns are a special case of bad management, but it highlights that the contracts may not be that reasonable, especially when you are bidding against yourself.

I'd always want to keep Maxi and if some team offered this contract, I'd match without thinking twice. The Mavs actually managed to get a team option on it for once. I'm still quite curious as to how much other teams think of Maxi/Powell. Powell's contract clearly looks like a bit of a luxury --- you saw a string of productive bench bigs get smaller short therm deals.
60/21/10
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#112 » by Pinkyring » Sat Jul 6, 2019 12:04 am

Dirk wrote:25 year old TJ Warren shot .428% from 3 and averaged 18ppg. His salary was "reasonable". The Suns attached a pick to trade him away. Granted the Suns are a special case of bad management, but it highlights that the contracts may not be that reasonable, especially when you are bidding against yourself.

I'd always want to keep Maxi and if some team offered this contract, I'd match without thinking twice. The Mavs actually managed to get a team option on it for once. I'm still quite curious as to how much other teams think of Maxi/Powell. Powell's contract clearly looks like a bit of a luxury --- you saw a string of productive bench bigs get smaller short therm deals.

It should have been either or, neither player is a starter on a good team and neither guy is young with high upside, i dont have the maxi contract but there was zero reason to extend Powell let alone extend him for 3 more years.
turcorox911
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#113 » by turcorox911 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:11 pm

I hope he develops a more reliable 3 ball.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#114 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:23 pm

turcorox911 wrote:I hope he develops a more reliable 3 ball.

He will. Same with Powell.

I guarantee it.
turcorox911
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#115 » by turcorox911 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:19 am

HairyGOATee wrote:
turcorox911 wrote:I hope he develops a more reliable 3 ball.

He will. Same with Powell.

I guarantee it.

Now guarantee that DFS does the same, lol. :wink: :lol:
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#116 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:29 am

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Maxi Kleber, just a guy from Würzburg 

Post#117 » by Dirk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:58 am

Knosh wrote:Powell is probably playing. Isn't that something? I am excite!

Can you ship me some water from Würzburg?
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

60/21/10
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Re: Maxi Kleber, just a guy from Würzburg 

Post#118 » by Knosh » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:03 pm

Dirk wrote:
Knosh wrote:Powell is probably playing. Isn't that something? I am excite!

Can you ship me some water from Würzburg?

You mean something like this?
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Maxi Kleber, just a guy from Germany 

Post#119 » by Dirk » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:00 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:Feels like Maxi deserves some recognition here, some monster plays today on offense and defense.

Feed the German Shepherd. Throw him a bone
Spoiler:

Someone check his 3 point splits. He's been doing well.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Re: Maxi Kleber, just a guy from Germany 

Post#120 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:34 am

Dirk wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Feels like Maxi deserves some recognition here, some monster plays today on offense and defense.

Feed the German Shepherd. Throw him a bone...

Someone check his 3 point splits. He's been doing well.

Before Maxi went 1-5 vs GSW, I know he was shooting 38% from 3. Ya know, a poster in the "What Does Dallas Need" thread mentioned trading for Serge Ibaka. I responded with Ibaka's stats the last 2 seasons, and said "Sounds like you're describing Maxi Kleber".

Maxi is much better than he receives credit for. Imo, he's a definite NBA starter. Ideally, for him, he'd be your stretch 4 big. He's what the Heat wish Meyers Leonard or Kelly Olynyk were. Leonard shoots a slightly better percentage, but with far less volume. Which means Leonards only taking the wide open 3s, so his percentage should be much better than Maxi's. Olynyk shoots about the same % from 3 with similar volume, but he's a far worse defender and a worse rebounder. He doesn't have the lateral quickness Maxi does or the hops, and his neutral wingspan doesn't help either. And neither one is capable of putting the ball on the floor and creating his own shot, like the clip you showed from the Memphis game. Also both are 8 & 7 year veterans, respectively. Maxi is just starting his 3rd NBA season, he's still improving. Still has room to grow.

Because of Maxi's versatility, you can play him at the 5. Actually, now that I'm seeing Porzingis up close, I wonder how Nikola Vucevic would have worked for the Mavs. You'd of been able to have Porzingis on the wing, in your 7-3 "Kyle Korver" sharpshooter role. Vucevic is a beast in the post. Maxi is your stretch 4, spotting up in the corner, but also can be your rim runner and work in PnRs with Luka, when the matchup is there over a Luka/Vucevic PnR. It'd be pretty lethal on offense.

On defense, Vucevic can body up the biggest post on the opposite team. KP can take the secondary player. You might have spots that are harder like NO with a Derrick Favors/Jahlil Okafor frontcourt. I could see KP getting into early foul trouble there. But, pre-dominantly you have teams playing small ball. SAC for example has Bjelica playing the 4. KP can handle him. And, then you have Maxi's gift. His ability to get out there and cover the perimeter. Take SAC again, he can handle Barnes on the wing. Now, the big problem you have is with teams... let's stay with SAC, they run De'Aaron Fox, Bogdanovic, and Buddy Hield at you. Now, Maxi's getting a little out of his comfort zone (this is where the value of a guy like Jaren Jackson Jr shines through, but nobody seems to understand how good he really is or will become. SCARY). Of course, the Mavs can mitigate this in the offseason by signing Bogdanovic away :lol: :lol:

But, even then, what is Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, Barnes/Bjelica, Bagley/Holmes going to do to stop Luka from terrorizing them on the other end with Porzingis/Kleber/Vucevic? Bogdanovic or Hield would have to guard one of those 3. Kleber rim runs and dunks on both of those guys in a PnR. KP shoots over both of them easily. I'm talking about from 3, I know KP has struggled mightily posting up smaller players. Bagley/Holmes either one are BBQ chicken vs Vucevic in the post.

That's the kind of value I see in Maxi. It pisses me off every time he doesn't start. I don't wanna hear matchup stuff from Carlisle. Kleber is so versatile. I just don't buy it. Somebody in a thread awhile back was complaining about us resigning Maxi. I wanted to slap them silly. Lol! Man, thank God the Mavs resigned Maxi. He's outperforming his $8 mil a year contract. That's how you win championships when you get more than your money's worth from your roster.

Edit: One other thing. In my head, I've been thinking the only trade-able asset the Mavs had was Jalen Brunson. Maybe Delon Wright too, but I don't think teams are really dying to acquire Delon Wright. If Wright were making $3 mil a year, yeah. At $9 mil a year that's probably fair. But, I gotta add Maxi to the Mavs' list of assets. Only, he's a guy I don't want to see go. But, I bet you could fetch a pretty penny for Maxi. HOU needs him. Golden State would have use for him. He'd help the Bucks. I think Boston wants to get away from Marcus Smart defending every big they face. Although BOS has their own up & coming big with Robert Williams. Minnesota could use him. I bet you one of the teams I mentioned trades for Serge Ibaka. That's who Maxi is. Ibaka will be an UFA next season. Maxi is under team control at a very reasonable salary for the next 3 years. So whatever TOR gets back for Ibaka, the Mavs would receive more for Maxi.

Man, it'd be hard to part with Maxi. He's one of my favorite Mavs. But, getting some assets in here. Geez. This cupboard is pretty bare.

I actually wonder if I'm too much of a Mavs' homer. But, if you packaged Jalen Brunson, Maxi Kleber, and the 2nd round pick from GSW this year together, and if you took back a bad contract (not sure if you'd want to. Depends on the contract), what's the best player you could get back in return?

It's hard to find a fit here. A team like LAL would jump at a chance to add Brunson & Kleber, but they have nothing left to offer besides 1st round picks. They wouldn't offer much more than 2 1st rounders, and I'd rather have Brunson & Kleber than 2 late 1sts. Same problem with HOU. If you throw in 2025's 1st round pick, it probably is enough to land you Kevin Love or Andre Drummond, but I don't like the fit with Love, and I'm not sure I really like the fit with Drummond, either. It works for the Heat with a player like Justise Winslow, but I've never been a big fan. POR would have interest. I would love to get Anfernee Simons back, but I doubt they'd be willing to let him go. In a perfect world, the Mavs draft a kid like that this year, and we don't have to touch a thing. It's definitely enough for Gallinari in OKC, but I think he wouldn't work too well with KP & Powell, and he's on the wrong side of 30. It might be enough for Aaron Gordon, IF you add the 2025 1st round pick and agree to some pick swaps/take on Terrence Ross' contract if they're trying to unload it. Idk... You could probably get a couple of 1st round picks from TOR. They're not guaranteed to be late 1st rounders. I might like that a lot. I doubt they keep Van Fleet, Gasol & Ibaka. Lowry has a bit of an injury history. I doubt the Mavs are thinking in this direction, though. UTAH would snap call a deal for Dante Exum, but he's most likely a bust. I wish the Mavs would of gotten in on Markelle Fultz last year, though. Fultz is slowly building his confidence back. Even if he never becomes a shooter, it's clear he can get to the basic any time he wants. He's little like Westbrook getting into the lane. That's approaching the type of offensive skill the Mavs are missing right now from their 3rd scorer.

I don't see any other fits. Mavs gonna have to do something they don't often do. Land an impact FA and/or hit a home run in the draft.

Return to Dallas Mavericks