ImageImageImage

Let's Talk About McBob

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,922

Let's Talk About McBob 

Post#1 » by arkuo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Or his contract to be specific. Getting McBob from Miami was essentially Cuban rolling the dice and hoping some team way over the cap needs financial relief by the trade deadline to avoid paying lux tax. Take note that nothing is set in stone but that's where Cuban's gambling comes in.

Below is a list of teams who seem to not be in contention but will be over the cap :
1. Detroit
2. Toronto
3. New Orleans
4. Oklahoma
5. Portland
6. Washington
7. Atlanta

Teams that are over the cap but cant add more talent to contend is probably the worst place to be in. Of those teams I can see Detroit, Toronto, Oklahoma and Washington dumping salary by the deadline. Just my gut feel.

Now this is where McBob's deal comes in handy. A package of Wes + McBob + Seth or Yogi can probably get us Andre Drummond if Detroit is desperate. Any takers for something like that?

The better question is how does Drummond coexist with Noel? I know Nerlens' foot speed can allow him to play PF. But his shooting? Im on the fence. A third team would likely need to be involved. Wes + McBob + Yogi + DFS to Detroit. Detroit sends Drummond to say, Boston. Boston sends us something like Crowder, Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart. Works capwise.

C- Noel / Powell / Mejiri
PF- Crowder / Dirk
SF- Barnes / Jaylen Brown
SG- Smart / Curry
PG - DSJ / Harris / Barea
Darren
RealGM
And1: 827

Re: Let's Talk About McBob 

Post#2 » by Darren » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:06 pm

I don't think Boston is interested. If they are, I am more interested in Wade's huge expiring contract. Crowder is too undersized as a PF. I don't think it work as well.

Boston Celtics
In: Andre Drummond, Chicago 1st (or 2 2nds)
Out: Jae Crowder, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart

Chicago Bulls
In: Jae Crowder, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart
Out: Dwyane Wade

Dallas Mavericks
In: Dwyane Wade
Out: Wesley Matthews, Devin Harris, Seth Curry

Detroit Pistons
In: Wesley Matthews, Devin Harris, Seth Curry
Out: Andre Drummond
arkuo
General Manager

Post#3 » by arkuo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:14 pm

Darren wrote:I don't think Boston is interested. If they are, I am more interested in Wade's huge expiring contract. Crowder is too undersized as a PF. I don't think it work as well.

For conversation's sake, assuming we get Wade from Chitown for Wes + McBob + Seth. And assuming we are way below the cap for 2018, we arent exactly the Maldives for free agents. Nic Batum chose the freakin Charlotte Hornets over us last year. Of course that's apart from Dwight Howard, Deandre Jordan, Mike Conley, Hassan Whiteside et al.

The reality is Cuban needs to monetize these big expiring contracts and flip them into something like we did with Keith Van Horn or Josh Howard for Butler, Stevenson and Haywood. Rather than using them as a DUST chip, Plan Powder and come back empty handed.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#4 » by arkuo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Darren wrote:
Boston Celtics
In: Andre Drummond, Chicago 1st (or 2 2nds)
Out: Jae Crowder, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart

Chicago Bulls
In: Jae Crowder, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart
Out: Dwyane Wade

Dallas Mavericks
In: Dwyane Wade
Out: Wesley Matthews, Devin Harris, Seth Curry

Detroit Pistons
In: Wesley Matthews, Devin Harris, Seth Curry
Out: Andre Drummond

I like it. But we'll be stuck with Wade or we ship him out by the deadline.

Personally I like Jaylen Brown's game. Could slot into the SG spot eventually with DSJ. And he's on an a really small contract for the next 3 years.
Double Diamond
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#5 » by Double Diamond » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:59 am

Wade will never wear a Dallas uniform.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#6 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:59 am

1. This Drummond / Wade talk it from left field. Makes no sense.

2. If Dallas is taking advantage of McBob's contract, it's likely for a young player on a rookie contract or ideally a 2018 1st round pick. There are a number of great options that Dallas could leverage.

-- Portland has $125M committed next year with their 3rd best player, Jusuf Nurkic, going into RFA. He will get offered $20+M, so they have no choice but to make a move before next July. I could see Dallas giving up McBob + Harris + 3rd team player with smaller 2/3 year deal to POR, Allen Crabbe to 3rd team, and Dallas getting a bad 2-yr contract + from POR. THe 3rd team basically would need to have a bad 2-year contract in the 8-10 mill range and willing to take a chance on Allen Crabbe.

--Detroit needs to clear space. I would do a Boban Marjanovic (2yrs) + Ishmael Smith (2yrs) + 2018 1st for Harris/McBob's 11-mill expiring package at the deadline. Pending where they were in the standings and what they would want, it would give them much needed cap relief on bench players and allow Dallas to have another draft pick. If they pick in the 10-15 range again, and the protection is something like top 3-5, I would pull the trigger.

From the aforementioned team, I don't see good deals with Charlotte, Milwaukee, Washington, Atlanta, etc don't make much sense.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,606

Post#7 » by jpengland » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:55 am

McBob was about getting out of the committed salary next year to Hammons.

Simple as that.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#8 » by 2011Champs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:37 am

jpengland wrote:McBob was about getting out of the committed salary next year to Hammons.

Simple as that.

Yep. Everyone is overthinking this. If MC can play a few minutes then it's a bonus. Don't take lightly the 5.1 million Miami threw in. That's a nice chunk of change.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#9 » by Heezzi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:09 am

Seth Curry last year was better than Wade, imo. Why trade 3 players to get him?
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,531

Post#10 » by Dirk » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Hard to see the Mavs taking on bad contracts. They feel like they will be trying to assemble 'their team' in the Summer of 2018. So it's extremely unlikely that they would shift from that to taking on undesirable contracts with a pick or two attached. Even during Summer League Rick Carlisle explicitly talked about cap space for the Summer of 2018.

They didn't believe in Hammons. Saw that he wouldn't be playing again this year and used this opportunity to shed his salary. The strangest thing is that while they made this trade to gain some cap space, we have not heard any reports about them actively trying to dump a contract like Powell. I won't mention Matthews because of all the bravado coming from the Mavs about how great he is.
60/21/10
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,842

Post#11 » by dirkforpres » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:15 pm

Dirk wrote:They feel like they will be trying to assemble 'their team' in the Summer of 2018.
The strangest thing is that while they made this trade to gain some cap space, we have not heard any reports about them actively trying to dump a contract like Powell. I won't mention Matthews because of all the bravado coming from the Mavs about how great he is.

I don't think you can have one without the other. Neither one of those guys are in Dallas' long term plans. I wouldn't be surprised if we held on to them till the trade deadline and then tried packaging them with our top 10 protected first rounder for an expiring (Monroe/Kanter). I don't see any other way we would be able to shed either of those albatross contracts before next summer
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,108

Post#12 » by Mr B » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:26 pm

I honestly think their plan is to tank and get another high lotto pick. Then use their cap space (which means keeping McBob's expiring contract) and making a run at a big time free agent.
Pointguard01
RealGM

Post#13 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Dirk wrote:Hard to see the Mavs taking on bad contracts. They feel like they will be trying to assemble 'their team' in the Summer of 2018. So it's extremely unlikely that they would shift from that to taking on undesirable contracts with a pick or two attached. Even during Summer League Rick Carlisle explicitly talked about cap space for the Summer of 2018.

They didn't believe in Hammons. Saw that he wouldn't be playing again this year and used this opportunity to shed his salary. The strangest thing is that while they made this trade to gain some cap space, we have not heard any reports about them actively trying to dump a contract like Powell. I won't mention Matthews because of all the bravado coming from the Mavs about how great he is.

While I think this is true, I think it's a mistake. Cuban, Nelson and Carlisle can probably only stand one terrible season, which will be this coming on. Now, I would love for us to play the young guys (Yogi/DSJ over Barea, Brussino/DFS over Harris + Matthews) and likely rack up losses We get more more high lottery (top 6-7) and then in the 2018-2019 season, we should be a competitive team. We then can be a bordorline playoff team with young talent -- that's enough to attract free agents or trade for a superstar. I don't see us being able to be bad next year to get a top pick and then be able to get a superstar to sign in Dallas the offseason after.

More importantly, there aren't any superstars that I see as being a match with Dallas). And nothing in 2018 free agency overall excites me right now. Now, in 2019, I could see Dallas being the place to be with Barnes, Noel, Smith Jr + 2 lotto picks (minimum). If we acquire assets with taking on salary for McBob, Harris, etc, then we could have even more assets to leverage in a situation. To me, that makes the most sense.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 827

Post#14 » by Darren » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:52 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
Dirk wrote:Hard to see the Mavs taking on bad contracts. They feel like they will be trying to assemble 'their team' in the Summer of 2018. So it's extremely unlikely that they would shift from that to taking on undesirable contracts with a pick or two attached. Even during Summer League Rick Carlisle explicitly talked about cap space for the Summer of 2018.

While I think this is true, I think it's a mistake. Cuban, Nelson and Carlisle can probably only stand one terrible season, which will be this coming on. Now, I would love for us to play the young guys (Yogi/DSJ over Barea, Brussino/DFS over Harris + Matthews) and likely rack up losses We get more more high lottery (top 6-7) and then in the 2018-2019 season, we should be a competitive team. We then can be a bordorline playoff team with young talent -- that's enough to attract free agents or trade for a superstar. I don't see us being able to be bad next year to get a top pick and then be able to get a superstar to sign in Dallas the offseason after.

More importantly, there aren't any superstars that I see as being a match with Dallas). And nothing in 2018 free agency overall excites me right now. Now, in 2019, I could see Dallas being the place to be with Barnes, Noel, Smith Jr + 2 lotto picks (minimum). If we acquire assets with taking on salary for McBob, Harris, etc, then we could have even more assets to leverage in a situation. To me, that makes the most sense.

I don't think we're bad enough to tank for the top few pick. If we're, I don't mind tanking for a top-3 pick. Beyond that, I'd just want to stock with second rounders and go for the playoff. The top of the draft sucks. But there's quite some unreasonably potential guys at second round. Some even have an efficient at 30-40 range. We may find some role players here. If we can attract suitors for some of our veterans, I am fine trading some of them for pick(s).
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,531

Post#15 » by Dirk » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:12 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:

If you could press a button and pick between being the 8th seed or a top 5 pick. You pick the draft pick. But we know that things are far more complex than that in a sports team. There's a culture you want to build and preserve. These are not robots where you can press a pause button. Players aren't geared for tanking. We know Dallas has paid Barnes. They are going to pay Noel - who has been in tanking teams in what feels like forever. A team tanking when they have two near max contractson the team is strange. You then have Dirk and Carlisle and some vets. Everyone knows that this is not a great recipe for tanking.

Overachieving means that some of these players you invested on are doing well... so that means that fans would somehow be rooting for them to not be particularly good so you can lose more games. Who would have thought that a Yogi/Curry pairing would lead to so many wins last year? It's incredibly complex to root for losses. For a long period last year (Mid December - Late March? Early April?) the Mavs were doing exceptionally well. That's a large sample. So you do "fear" that they may be good this year and overachieve (for their talent level)... but sabotage the 'dream' of adding another highly rated prospect.

The interesting thing is that "with the West being so good", by default the Mavs are ranked near the bottom of the conference by most predictions. The Mavericks also showed late last year that they can tank. And this off-season they were very patient, made this particular trade which shows that they are thinking about the future. So we can definitely imagine that if the Mavs are not in playoff contention, that they may look to make some moves to dump contracts/enhance the draft position.

At the end of the day, I suppose we already have some interesting ingredients to possibly have an interesting team to watch play solid basketball. I will settle for that. Not thinking about Championships or even Playoffs. Just entertaining enough basketball with 2 or 3 younger guys developing. There is no mistake though --- the Mavs are far from being in position to be a contender or look like they have the players who may develop them into it and the best way to get there is to get another high pick.

It's sounding like it's going to be another weird season with the winning games/tanking debate. To me, other than this bizarre vibe you get from the Mavs about Matthews, where it almost feels they act like they owe him something or he is some big part of the future... the Mavs have done ok. No short term moves. Not adding vets to chase some meaningless wins. If they win more games than they should with a youngish core... so be it. But they need to be very realistic in January and be very conscious about the plan they will follow by the trade deadline.
60/21/10
arkuo
General Manager

Post#16 » by arkuo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:02 pm

I can probably see Cuban put his chips on Seth playing SG with DSJ at PG. We'll move forward with Wes and Powell's contracts eventually. The question is "Post-Dirk lineup of Jr, Seth, Barnes, Noel and whoever we slot in at PF going to be good enough to compete for a ring or good enough for 7 or 8th in the West.

Once Cuban is able to answer that he'll know whether to work on a superstar FA deal or keep tanking til we get a lot of young talent like Boston. Apart from keeping our revolving door undrafted or under the radar rookies every season.

DFS, Motley, Yogi, Seth, Wes, Brusino, Ding, Etc. It seems like Cuban keeps scratching lottery tickets to find an undrafted Lebron James who he could pay the minimum. It makes a good playoff story though. Bunch of undrafted rag tag players who have no business being there will be giving teams like GSW a run for their money. Makes for good motivational talks too. I know Carlisle can do those. If it translated to on-court performance is another story.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#17 » by bobsquad » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:24 am

Josh McRoberts
for
John Henson
and
Jabari Parker

Do cap-clearing Bucks consider it if they want to win now? Works salary-wise and saves a ton of money over the next 3 years.
Pointguard01
RealGM

Post#18 » by Pointguard01 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:48 am

bobsquad wrote:Josh McRoberts
for
John Henson
and
Jabari Parker

Do cap-clearing Bucks consider it if they want to win now? Works salary-wise and saves a ton of money over the next 3 years.

I doubt it. They are saying Jabari's recovery is going great (of course they are, I know). Unike the Sixers, Jabari has proven to be an All-Star caliber talent. He would be an interesting Forward combo with Harrison Barnes. I would love to get Jabari Parker on this team, but not going to happen with that offer.

Dirk wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:

If you could press a button and pick between being the 8th seed or a top 5 pick. You pick the draft pick. But we know that things are far more complex than that in a sports team. There's a culture you want to build and preserve. These are not robots where you can press a pause button. Players aren't geared for tanking. We know Dallas has paid Barnes. They are going to pay Noel - who has been in tanking teams in what feels like forever. A team tanking when they have two near max contractson the team is strange. You then have Dirk and Carlisle and some vets. Everyone knows that this is not a great recipe for tanking.

Overachieving means that some of these players you invested on are doing well... so that means that fans would somehow be rooting for them to not be particularly good so you can lose more games. Who would have thought that a Yogi/Curry pairing would lead to so many wins last year? It's incredibly complex to root for losses. For a long period last year (Mid December - Late March? Early April?) the Mavs were doing exceptionally well. That's a large sample. So you do "fear" that they may be good this year and overachieve (for their talent level)... but sabotage the 'dream' of adding another highly rated prospect.

The interesting thing is that "with the West being so good", by default the Mavs are ranked near the bottom of the conference by most predictions. The Mavericks also showed late last year that they can tank. And this off-season they were very patient, made this particular trade which shows that they are thinking about the future. So we can definitely imagine that if the Mavs are not in playoff contention, that they may look to make some moves to dump contracts/enhance the draft position.

At the end of the day, I suppose we already have some interesting ingredients to possibly have an interesting team to watch play solid basketball. I will settle for that. Not thinking about Championships or even Playoffs. Just entertaining enough basketball with 2 or 3 younger guys developing. There is no mistake though --- the Mavs are far from being in position to be a contender or look like they have the players who may develop them into it and the best way to get there is to get another high pick.

It's sounding like it's going to be another weird season with the winning games/tanking debate. To me, other than this bizarre vibe you get from the Mavs about Matthews, where it almost feels they act like they owe him something or he is some big part of the future... the Mavs have done ok. No short term moves. Not adding vets to chase some meaningless wins. If they win more games than they should with a youngish core... so be it. But they need to be very realistic in January and be very conscious about the plan they will follow by the trade deadline.

I don't want us to tank. I agree with the Mavericks direction and culture in that it creates the wrong behaviors for your young players. You have to play every game to make the playoffs. When you miss, then yes, maybe you sit the veterans (Wes, Dirk, Barea, etc) and play the end of the bench young players (Brussino, DFS, etc). But, Dallas isn't going to be very good next year. As bad as the East is, they get to play double the games against each other and play 1/2 the games against the stacked Western Conference. We are, even with a healthy team all year, 9th at the very best. And could easily be #12 - #14. Yes, there are some bad teams in the East but they will play against each other more and rack up wins.

We have a viable change to get a top 5 pick next year, while trying to win, especially if we allow the young players (insert DSJ) to play through mistakes. He will make a bunch that will cost us games but it will be best in the long run (both for his development and the lottery pick).

But again, I think the biggest reason I take on contracts is:

a) Get assets (picks)
b) 2018 free agents suck
c) Dallas won't be a desirable destination next year

Give us two years and 4 lottery picks + Barnes/Noel/Curry and you can make the case we are a destination and 2019 has some potentially great free agents by then (not to mention what will be available via trade).
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,108

Post#19 » by Mr B » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:25 am

From my understanding the Mavs will be one of the teams with the most cap space. Norm Hitzges was saying this morning that if they are able to dump Powell or Wes they could potentially have enough cap space for 2 max players. I doubt they target two max players though. I think they target one young player. The two players that make the most sense are Jabari Parker and Julius Randle. Parker is the better player but can't stay on the court. I believe he's supposed to be out until January this season. Randle stays pretty healthy but might be an awkward fit next to Noel. The Lakers will likely have to renounce his rights (in order to chase Paul George or Labron) and Randle is from Dallas.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#20 » by arkuo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:50 am

-double post-

Return to Dallas Mavericks