Player Likely to be Traded:
Midseason Trade Targets:
Biggest Surprise:
Biggest Disappointment:
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Re: Mavs Individual Predictions (2017-18) 

Post#2 » by Lord Cuban » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:58 am

Mavericks MVP: Dennis Smith Jr.
Mavericks Rookie of the Year: Dennis Smith Jr.
Mavericks Best Player off the bench: Seth Curry
Mavericks Best Defensive Player: Wesley Matthews
Mavericks Most Improved Player: Wesley Matthews

Points Per Game Leader: Harrison Barnes (18 PPG)
Assists Per Game Leader: Dennis Smith Jr. (7.0 APG)
Rebounds Per Game Leader: Nerlens Noel (8.3 RPG)
Steals Per Game Leader: Wesley Matthews (1.5 SPG)
Blocks Per Game Leader: Nerlens Noel (1.7 BPG)
Field-Goal Percentage Leader: Salah Mejri
3-Pointers Made Leader: Wesley Matthews

Player Likely to be Traded: J.J. Barea
Midseason Trade Targets: 1st round picks
Biggest Surprise: Maximilian Kleber
Biggest Disappointment: Dorian Finney-Smith
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,035

Post#3 » by daoneandonly » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Mavericks MVP: Harrison Barnes
Mavericks Best Defensive Player: Nerlens Noel
Mavericks Most Improved Player: Nerlens Noel

Points Per Game Leader: Harrison Banes
Assists Per Game Leader: Dennis Smith Jr.
Rebounds Per Game Leader: Nerlens Noel
Steals Per Game Leader: Dennis Smith Jr.
Blocks Per Game Leader: Nerlens Noel
Field-Goal Percentage Leader: Jeff Withey
3-Pointers Made Leader: Dirk Nowitzki

Player Likely to be Traded: Wesley Matthews (if dreams do in fact come true)
Midseason Trade Targets: Late 1st for Seth Curry
Biggest Surprise: Dennis Smith Jr.
Biggest Disappointment: Wesley Matthews
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#4 » by 2011Champs » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:55 pm

Mavericks MVP:Dirk
Mavericks Rookie of the Year:SmithJr
Mavericks Best Player off the bench:Curry
Mavericks Best Defensive Player:Harris
Mavericks Most Improved Player:Withey

Points Per Game Leader:Dirk
Assists Per Game Leader:SmithJr
Rebounds Per Game Leader:Dirk
Steals Per Game Leader:Yogi
Blocks Per Game Leader:Withey
Field-Goal Percentage Leader:Finney Smith
3-Pointers Made Leader:Curry

Player Likely to be Traded:Matthews
Midseason Trade Targets:Lamarcus Aldridge
Biggest Surprise:Withey
Biggest Disappointment:[/quote]Barnes
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#5 » by Darren » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:52 am

Does it matter at all? We've to tank with all Noel's drama. We'd better move our veterans (Matthews, Curry, Barea and Harris) early and be prepared for the goal for a top-3 pick. I am more interested in how Barnes and Smith handles the situation as a player and leader as the core of the franchise. Whether we like it or not, we'll see a lot of minutes with Dwight Powell on court coming season. We can stop watching Mavs games, though.

D-Wade (bought out) for Matthews, Barea and Harris with 2019 Golden States' and 2023 Miami Heat's second rounders make a lot of sense for us. Not sure if Chicago is lack of suitors for Wade's huge expiring contract.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,035

Post#6 » by daoneandonly » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:40 pm

Darren wrote:Does it matter at all? We've to tank with all Noel's drama. We'd better move our veterans (Matthews, Curry, Barea and Harris) early and be prepared for the goal for a top-3 pick. I am more interested in how Barnes and Smith handles the situation as a player and leader as the core of the franchise. Whether we like it or not, we'll see a lot of minutes with Dwight Powell on court coming season. We can stop watching Mavs games, though.

D-Wade (bought out) for Matthews, Barea and Harris with 2019 Golden States' and 2023 Miami Heat's second rounders make a lot of sense for us. Not sure if Chicago is lack of suitors for Wade's huge expiring contract.

Makes no sense for CHi, they too are rebuilding and are better off letting Wade expire or buy out than taking on Matthews-Barea and throwaway picks.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#7 » by Mr B » Sun Sep 3, 2017 9:44 pm

Points Per Game Leader: Harrison Banes
Assists Per Game Leader: Dennis Smith Jr.
Rebounds Per Game Leader: Nerlens Noel
Steals Per Game Leader: Nerlens Noel
Blocks Per Game Leader: Nerlens Noel
Field-Goal Percentage Leader: Nerlens Noel
3-Pointers Made Leader: Seth Curry

Player Likely to be Traded: Seth, Harris, or McBob
Midseason Trade Targets: 1st rd pick
Biggest Surprise: Nerlens Noel
Biggest Disappointment: Yogi Ferrell
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#8 » by Devassa » Sun Sep 3, 2017 10:09 pm

Mavericks MVP: Barnes
Mavericks Rookie of the Year: Smith
Mavericks Best Player off the bench: Curry
Mavericks Best Defensive Player: Nerlens
Mavericks Most Improved Player: Barnes

Points Per Game Leader: Barnes
Assists Per Game Leader: Smith
Rebounds Per Game Leader: Nerlens
Steals Per Game Leader: Barnes
Blocks Per Game Leader: Nerlens
Field-Goal Percentage Leader: Nerlens
3-Pointers Made Leader: Dirk

Player Likely to be Traded: Powell
Midseason Trade Targets: 1st rounder
Biggest Surprise: Smith (ROY)
Biggest Disappointment: Matthews and/or Powell not getting dealt
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#9 » by SOUNDCHASER » Mon Sep 4, 2017 4:12 pm

Mavericks MVP: Smith Jr.
Mavericks Rookie of the Year: Smith Jr.
Mavericks Best Player off the bench: Curry
Mavericks Best Defensive Player: Nerlens
Mavericks Most Improved Player: Nerlens

Points Per Game Leader: Smith Jr.
Assists Per Game Leader: Smith Jr.
Rebounds Per Game Leader: Nerlens
Steals Per Game Leader: Smith Jr.
Blocks Per Game Leader: Nerlens
Field-Goal Percentage Leader: Nerlens
3-Pointers Made Leader: Seth

Player Likely to be Traded: McRoberts is here as trade fodder but Wes and Powell are there if we can find a taker. Those 2 need to improve and start out hot for anyone to want them. If they do improve then we might want to keep them so its a tricky situation.
Midseason Trade Targets: 1st rounder
Biggest Surprise: Kleber or Motley turning into a keeper and Smith Jr. playing better than we think he will and he should be ROY leader out the gate but if he can give Barnes and Seth a run at leading the team in scoring then he will be a star in this league that can attract free agents to play here. Aldridge is not fitting in SAN so he could be a possibility but if Kleber impresses enough and wth next seasons rookie class full of bigs we probably decide he is too old to take on.
Biggest Disappointment: Injuries if any and if not thank God and probably DFS not developing a better 3 pointer.

Analyzing teams in the west it appears to me we are going to organically tank this season if our guys do not improve and take the next step up. Noel Barnes and Smith need to figure out how to turn themselves into super sayen versions of themselves becoming great on both sides of the court so that we can be good enough to make the play offs. Dirk wants to win and if he can stay healthy we can count on him driving the team in that direction. If Seth can improve his D enough to make a difference then he will add to our success potential.

Wes may be the shoot us out of the game tank commander again this season but he should do well on D. DFS and Wes as the main backup at SF will likely not shoot well enough from 3 again this season and that will be our main weakness. If Motley is athletic enough and healthy enough that he can play the 3 some and hit 3 pointers we might see him there in his few games he gets brought up. That would make him worthy of getting a spot in the 15 and making it so we can trade DFS. With Max getting hyped I see him playing a lot at PF especially if he can defend and rebound better than Powell.

He likely is a better 3 point shooter already and we only need to worry about how he matches up on the defensive end and if he can rebound well enough. As a rookie he will get minutes if he earns them because we need to find another PF solution than Powell becasue he does not rebound well enough. Hopefully Withey being here means he keeps us from using Powell as a center any more and that we can trade Mejri to get something for him. Next seasons Draft will produce a big either a center or PF and probably a PF that is groomed to become the starter after Dirk retires. If Kleber and or Motley come on as a rotation worthy players we might see that pick used on BPA. That would probably still be a big given the strength of the class and I can see us getting a center with the 2nd round pick as well. Getting a SG is another possibility if someone falls to us like DSJ did this last draft.

My biggest wish is that the new guys step up and show they are real and can contribute, especially Smith Jr., and Kleber. Withey and Motley showing they can play would be a nice bonus. If one of either Kleber or Motley develops into a rotation worthy player we are doing good and progressing back faster than anticipated. Withey needs to develop his offensive game and show he is versatile enough to be a stretch 4 as well as a center. I want him to earn minutes at both spots. Kleber needs to prove he can defend and rebound well enough that he is not a liability. That is true of everyone actually and if Motley can play some SF as well as PF I am going to be very happy.

Secondly I want Seth to step up his game and become a force on offense that nobody can contain, who stretches the defense enough so that we force teams to expend a lot more energy on that side of the floor. Yogi and DSJ should give the other teams fits with their penetration so that we will have a balanced attack on offense when Seth is in there leading to them finding him open for a lot of 3 pointers. Minutes wise Seth should be considered a starter but coming off the bench like Jason Terry means he will face less time against the other teams starters and get put in a position to score a lot more than he would if he was defended by a starter all the time.

Maybe they start him some games to experiment with that but I think Wes needs to be shopped and so we need to get value back if we trade him and that means he has to rebuild his shooting touch against starters so we can get something back that is not just a salary dump. This is why Powell will get a lot of minutes as well, they need to see him show something so a trade will be possible. As it is right now those 2 are going to be difficult to trade let alone get anything of value in return.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#10 » by Teffer10 » Mon Sep 4, 2017 7:42 pm

Mavericks MVP: Curry
Mavericks Rookie of the Year: Smith
Mavericks Best Player off the bench: Yogi
Mavericks Best Defensive Player: Wes
Mavericks Most Improved Player: Curry

Assists Per Game Leader: Smith
Rebounds Per Game Leader: Noel
Steals Per Game Leader: Noel
Blocks Per Game Leader: Noel
Field-Goal Percentage Leader: Noel
3-Pointers Made Leader: Curry

Player Likely to be Traded: Mejri/Powell/2018 pick
Midseason Trade Targets: Julius Randle
Biggest Surprise: Withey
Biggest Disappointment: Finney-Smith
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#11 » by dorkestra » Thu Sep 7, 2017 4:05 am

Mavericks MVP: DSJ
Mavericks Rookie of the Year: DSJ
Mavericks Best Player off the bench: DFS
Mavericks Best Defensive Player: Matthews
Mavericks Most Improved Player: DFS

Assists Per Game Leader: DSJ
Field-Goal Percentage Leader: Withey

Player Likely to be Traded: None
Midseason Trade Targets: None
Biggest Surprise: DFS
Biggest Disappointment: None
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#12 » by Teffer10 » Fri Sep 8, 2017 5:49 pm

Darren wrote:Does it matter at all? We've to tank with all Noel's drama. We'd better move our veterans (Matthews, Curry, Barea and Harris) early and be prepared for the goal for a top-3 pick. I am more interested in how Barnes and Smith handles the situation as a player and leader as the core of the franchise. Whether we like it or not, we'll see a lot of minutes with Dwight Powell on court coming season. We can stop watching Mavs games, though.

There is really no reason to tank this season because of Noel. The draft next season is pretty rich with bigs so we could basically replace him with a mid-to-late round pick.
Now I'd be on board with moving most our vets and playing only guys 27 and younger along with Dirk and maybe Barea but I'd still try to win games.
I actually think Withey might be a good fit and become the surprise guy this season and reduce the need for Noel.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#13 » by Darren » Fri Sep 8, 2017 7:21 pm

Teffer10 wrote:

There is really no reason to tank this season because of Noel. The draft next season is pretty rich with bigs so we could basically replace him with a mid-to-late round pick.
Now I'd be on board with moving most our vets and playing only guys 27 and younger along with Dirk and maybe Barea but I'd still try to win games.
I actually think Withey might be a good fit and become the surprise guy this season and reduce the need for Noel.

I think locker room stability is overlooked. When any of a team member have divergent thoughts, we can't bring competitive result. I don't think Noel is the sole problem. But his expected departure makes it quite clear that drafting a replacement should be the goal. And I don't see any mid-draft prospects better than Noel who isn't even a very complete player in himself at this point. I think it is quite clear that we're closer to lottery than playoff after all Noel draft. We can work for only one goal afterall. If Noel's re-signed, we're all for competing despite not having a very good team. But it is not the case. So be it. We could be happy at some point in future for being sucked. Hopefully, only for a very short stretch. So we can see a complete story of Dirk's career. For a guy like Dirk, it is quite sad if he ends his career the way like KG.
payne
Junior
And1: 9

Post#14 » by payne » Sat Sep 9, 2017 12:42 am

Before i start, i want to say, idk if im crazy or not, but i have high hopes for the mavs. I think we will definately hover around the 7th, 8th or 9th seed. Not saying those are great seeds, but it is definately and improvement from last season.

Mavericks MVP: Harrison Barnes (This needs to be his season)
Mavericks Rookie of the Year: DSJ (obviosuly)
Mavericks Best Player off the bench: Matthews (SL: DSJ, Curry, HB, Noel, Dirk) or Dirk (SL: DSJ, Curry, Matthews, Barnes, Noel)
Mavericks Best Defensive Player: Interior: Noel, Perimeter: Matthews
Mavericks Most Improved Player: Curry (too much people sleeping on seth)

Points Per Game Leader: Barnes (22-25 ppg)
Assists Per Game Leader: DSJ (4 -6 apg)
Rebounds Per Game Leader: Noel (7 - 9 rpg)
Steals Per Game Leader: DSJ or Curry ( 1.3 - 1.7 spg)
Blocks Per Game Leader: Noel (1.3 - 1.7 bpg)
Field-Goal Percentage Leader: Noel (around 58%) mainly due to lobs

Player Likely to be Traded: Matthews
Midseason Trade Targets: 1st Round Draft Pick
Biggest Surprise: For others: Curry. For Me: If Nerlens Noels avg a dbl -dbl i would be shocked
Biggest Disappointment: For Me: Matthews, DFS, Yogi Ferrel
The Cavs are a sad eastern conference wannabe MAVS
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#15 » by Nowitness » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:04 am

Assists Per Game Leader: Smith Jr.
Field-Goal Percentage Leader: Noel

Player Likely to be Traded: Matthews
Midseason Trade Targets: ????
Biggest Surprise: McRoberts
Biggest Disappointment: Yogi (not enough minutes to go around)
Nowitnessing a legend
Chocolate Daddy
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#16 » by Chocolate Daddy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:09 pm

Mavericks MVP: Dirk Nowitzki (still at 40 defenses will key in on him, allowing for the entire team to get better shots. I think he'll average 15 ppg and have many 20-30 point games.)
Mavericks Best Player off the bench: Nerlens Noel (seems like Rick likes Barnes starting at the 4 and Dirk at 5)
Mavericks Most Improved Player: Harrison Barnes (PPG will go down but he'll be a much better passer, rebounder, and defender I believe)

Points Per Game Leader: Dennis Smith Jr. (18.4 ppg)
Assists Per Game Leader: Dennis Smith Jr. (5.5 apg)
Rebounds Per Game Leader: Nerlens Noel (8.1 rpg)
Steals Per Game Leader: Dennis Smith Jr. (1.3 spg)
Blocks Per Game Leader: Nerlens Noel (1.7 bpg)
Field-Goal Percentage Leader: Nerlens Noel (60%)
3-Pointers Made Leader: Seth Curry (185 3PM)

Player Likely to be Traded: Dwight Powell or Seth Curry
Midseason Trade Targets: Big man or a shooting guard
Biggest Surprise: Johnathan Motley (highly impresses in his games he plays, especially rebounding)
Biggest Disappointment: Maxi Kleber (near amounts to much of anything)

Return to Dallas Mavericks