G Maalik Wayns

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: Mavericks Pre-season 2017 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:41 pm

I don't think there's any real "fight" nor are there 3 spots up for grabs.

These will make the team
F Josh McRoberts
F Maxi Kleber

Withey is a probable.

The bottom of the list are a lock for the GL
G Gian Clavell
F Brandon Ashley
G PJ Dozier
G Maalik Wayns
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Re: Mavericks Pre-season 2017 [G1: Oct 2nd @ Milwaukee] 

Post#3 » by JamesConway » Mon Oct 2, 2017 2:09 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,070

Post#4 » by Dirk » Mon Oct 2, 2017 4:12 pm

JamesConway wrote:
Read on Twitter

Finally some basketball. Ironically enough Matthews already generating some reports. What are the chances that he opts out after the season?
60/21/10
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#5 » by daoneandonly » Mon Oct 2, 2017 4:58 pm

Dirk wrote:
JamesConway wrote:
Read on Twitter

Finally some basketball. Ironically enough Matthews already generating some reports. What are the chances that he opts out after the season?

I'd say zero, no one in their right minds would pay him double digits a year, let alone 18 mill. Were you referring to his injury or some other news with respect to him generating some reports?
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,070

Post#6 » by Dirk » Mon Oct 2, 2017 5:42 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Dirk wrote:
JamesConway wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'd say zero, no one in their right minds would pay him double digits a year, let alone 18 mill. Were you referring to his injury or some other news with respect to him generating some reports?

Just the irony of him being the player who frustrates more fans and he pops up on the injury report immediately.

It's hard to see him opting out, but he may think he can get a new 2 or 3 year deal that pays out better than just riding out this current contract. Of course, chances are the Mavs may be one of the few teams who would be interested.
60/21/10
JamesConway
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by JamesConway » Mon Oct 2, 2017 5:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#8 » by 2011Champs » Mon Oct 2, 2017 6:08 pm

Will the game be televised specifically in the DFW area?
Chocolate Daddy
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#9 » by Chocolate Daddy » Mon Oct 2, 2017 7:49 pm

2011Champs wrote:Will the game be televised specifically in the DFW area?

It'll be on FSSW+

By the way, the starting lineup tonight is:

Smith Jr.
Matthews
Barnes
Dirk
Noel
Chocolate Daddy
Ballboy

Post#10 » by Chocolate Daddy » Mon Oct 2, 2017 7:54 pm

Tonight will be fun. Completely meaningless for all but a couple guys (DSJ, Motley, Kleber, Gian, Withey maybe) but I'm hoping to see:

Dennis Smith Jr.: Don't worry about efficiency tonight. I just want him to attack the basket and get to the line and even more importantly, run the offense smooth and efficiently. I'm hoping for 14+ points, 5+ assists, 4+ rebounds, and at least 3 trips to the line (6 free throws).
JamesConway
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by JamesConway » Mon Oct 2, 2017 8:14 pm

Dirk wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Dirk wrote:Finally some basketball. Ironically enough Matthews already generating some reports. What are the chances that he opts out after the season?

Just the irony of him being the player who frustrates more fans and he pops up on the injury report immediately.

It's hard to see him opting out, but he may think he can get a new 2 or 3 year deal that pays out better than just riding out this current contract. Of course, chances are the Mavs may be one of the few teams who would be interested.

Not getting my hopes up. Matthews' PO is probably way above what he'd be able to get in the open market given the limited money that is projected to be availble next summer. The second he opts out he's probably looking at MLE-type of deals (at best). Much better players than him got underpaid this summer due to the market environment. On top of that the franchise also treats him like a cornerstone-type of player. There is little to no reason for him to walk away from all that Imo.

We will likely continue to go through with this for those roughly 150+ games on 34+ mpg that are still ahead of us over the next two years. I won't even try to lie about there being any type of excitement on my part about Wes as a player at this point of his career. There is none. I thought the whole idea of signing a guy fresh off a ruptured achilles to a $70M/4yrs deal was beyond insanity, he hasn't done anything over the last two seasons to make me feel any better about the signing and we also have a huge sample size to know that we can't realistically expect any significant improvements.

And I also don't want to read a single 'we're angry' or 'don't count us out yet'-interview anymore. I've had enough of those somewhen around January 2016.

*rant off*
Chocolate Daddy
Ballboy

Post#12 » by Chocolate Daddy » Mon Oct 2, 2017 8:34 pm

^^^^ I really like Matthews. He's a damn good player. My two gripes with him are:

1) His contract, which isn't his fault at all obviously. I'm willing to bet anything he opts in.

and

2) Last season he decided he wanted to be Kobe far too often where he would iso once he got the ball and start all this crossover, fade away jumpshot stuff. Iso Matthews should never be a thing. If he just shoots 3 on offense then he's awesome. He's a fantastic defender and we're really lucky Dennis gets to play his first two seasons with Wes by his side. He's also played damn near every game with us. My biggest fear when we signed him was that he'd play maybe 60% of his games.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#13 » by Pointguard01 » Mon Oct 2, 2017 11:27 pm

I haven’t been this excited for a Dallas preseason game in a while. Excited to see progress of youngsters (Curry, Noel, Yogi) and DSJ get his first real action!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
CoachJimCarrey
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#14 » by CoachJimCarrey » Tue Oct 3, 2017 1:12 am

Well the second unit is fun so far!
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#15 » by 2011Champs » Tue Oct 3, 2017 1:18 am

Powell is having a nice game in 2nd quarter. I'd like to see if he has made progress on his outside shot. Noel has been unimpressive.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#16 » by Pinkyring » Tue Oct 3, 2017 2:08 am

Lord noel is going to kick himself for passing on that deal, we dodged a bullet. As for wes i think an opt out is smart, I'd even be ok with an agreement to give him 3/34
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#17 » by Darren » Tue Oct 3, 2017 5:24 am

Our playmaking is far from satisfactory. Defenders are able to stay so closed to our shooters. We're not going to win anything. DSJ does not play aggressively. Maybe he just tries to demonstrate the result of shooting practice. But still, I don't like what I see. I don't want Wes to make more playmaking attempts than Smith.

Barnes and Curry really play like they care. Both plays like they've something to prove.

Anyway, preseason games don't mean much. Of course, you get an impression on who really cares and prepares.
JamesConway
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by JamesConway » Tue Oct 3, 2017 11:59 am

Motley had a good performance last night, hopefully he can keep it up. Looked every bit the player that was projected to go in that late 1st early 2nd round-range before the meniscus-injury. Active around the hoop on both ends, stayed in front of smaller players on defense, worked the boards and even had a good drive out of an iso-situation on the left block that lead to an open Clavell-three. He also moved better physically than anything I've seen from him in summer league. Hopefully he's at 100% after his knee injury now. This was a promising first appearance.

Clavell can shoot the ball and make a play off the dribble. He chucked too much but that's just the way it is in preseason and he also got a bit of a reputation for that. I thought he played well though. Wasn't rattled by those missed threes early on at all and finished the game with solid 3 point-%s. At 6'4 he's probably still somewhat undersized for an NBA-SG but given our crazy roster construction he'd be a solid addition to round out our group of guards. Hopefully Dozier (6'6 PG) can get back on the court quickly, he's a candidate for that spot as well. Maybe even both of them.

Re Powell: we need him to get minutes at the PF-position. He has to be on the floor with that contract. I like the energy a Noel-Powell frontline brings and, yeah, from a tanking-POV it's probably not a terrible idea to let those two figure out if they can play alongside each other. The spacing won't be great after opposing teams have done their homework on that unit out but that's the part where they -- especially Dwight -- either make it work or it organically hurts the teams' chances to win. Exactly what we should be doing. But I guess it's always a possibility that Rick just goes away from it quickly if the results aren't there.

Re Dennis: he looked bad on offense, no need to sugarcoat it. Struggled with MIL cutting off his driving lanes, the PnR with Dirk wasn't overly smooth, missed a bunch of threes, got a potential and-one called off for two FTs instead which he both blew. He's ultra-talented but games like that will happen. That's just the way it goes when you put rookie PGs into a starting role in the NBA. Besides that the Bucks also have an awfully long squad on defense even without Giannis/Maker/Parker on the floor, really tough to get easy buckets in the paint against them.

Re Barea/Harris: I hope we don't end up with one of Yogi/Dennis being pushed down in the depth chart because of them. That's just all I'm gonna say.
Chocolate Daddy
Ballboy

Post#19 » by Chocolate Daddy » Tue Oct 3, 2017 2:19 pm

That lineup with Dirk at the 5 and Wes at the 3 is going to get murdered. No idea why we can't just start Noel.

Dennis looked awful. Really doesn't mean anything as it's 12 minutes into his preseason career, but just a little disheartening. Defense was terrible and he looked to chuck more than attack the basket. The worst was a deflection that led to him having a wide open corner 3, but he also had a WIDE OPEN lane to the basket. I'm going to guess he didn't want to attack and attempt some crazy dunk and get hurt.

A little more disheartening when you see DeAaron Fox and Donovan Mitchell dominated.

Also, yet again just preseason but I absolutely will be turned off if Wes Matthews gets to handle the ball and shoot as much as he did last night. He's a catch and shoot guy, not freaking Kobe Bryant.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#20 » by daoneandonly » Tue Oct 3, 2017 2:24 pm

Chocolate Daddy wrote:That lineup with Dirk at the 5 and Wes at the 3 is going to get murdered. No idea why we can't just start Noel.

Dennis looked awful. Really doesn't mean anything as it's 12 minutes into his preseason career, but just a little disheartening. Defense was terrible and he looked to chuck more than attack the basket. The worst was a deflection that led to him having a wide open corner 3, but he also had a WIDE OPEN lane to the basket. I'm going to guess he didn't want to attack and attempt some crazy dunk and get hurt.

A little more disheartening when you see DeAaron Fox and Donovan Mitchell dominated.

Also, yet again just preseason but I absolutely will be turned off if Wes Matthews gets to handle the ball and shoot as much as he did last night. He's a catch and shoot guy, not freaking Kobe Bryant.

He really needs to stop, the point of starting Curry was to give DSJ another playmaker who can also shoot, Wes can't really do either these days. if Wes did his job as a SG, we'd probably be starting Noel. I know I sound like abroken record, and this team will be bottom level regardless, but he needs to go,. Trading him will at least make the lineups more sensible and enjoyable to watch, at this point I'd rather trade him for Marvin Williams and start at the forward spot,

Return to Dallas Mavericks