Mavericks Pre-season 2017 [Finale: Oct 13 @ Hornets]

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,076

Re: Mavericks Pre-season 2017 [G2: Oct 4nd vs Bulls] 

Post#21 » by Dirk » Tue Oct 3, 2017 3:00 pm

Summer league, pre-season... it's always the same dilemma. Can you really take the plunge and evaluate much of what you see? In years prior, I have learnt several lessons, with some players looking good and then not making it, while some others who struggled badly, then went on to have good regular seasons.

I think on DSJ, the most concerning thing was on defense, there were a couple of plays where he showed lack of effort and focus. His overall style of play is one where he usually looks lackadaisical, so I imagine that this may be a running thing through the year. I don't really care about the offense at this point with such a small sample.

After taking a break, you get back to basketball and it immediately dawns on you that much may stay the same: 1) Barea/Harris... it's kind of fun and all to see them together... but this franchise is not at a stage where they should be playing these players over young guys; 2) Matthews, as always, over-dribbling and overdoing things; 3) Powell, where will he fit? Will he finally fit somewhere?

Motley looked pretty good, not only because of his motor and physical play, but also because he had some smooth movements and looked in control.
60/21/10
Chocolate Daddy
Ballboy
And1: 9

Re: Mavericks Pre-season 2017 [G1: Oct 2nd @ Milwaukee] 

Post#22 » by Chocolate Daddy » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:02 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Chocolate Daddy wrote:That lineup with Dirk at the 5 and Wes at the 3 is going to get murdered. No idea why we can't just start Noel.

Dennis looked awful. Really doesn't mean anything as it's 12 minutes into his preseason career, but just a little disheartening. Defense was terrible and he looked to chuck more than attack the basket. The worst was a deflection that led to him having a wide open corner 3, but he also had a WIDE OPEN lane to the basket. I'm going to guess he didn't want to attack and attempt some crazy dunk and get hurt.

A little more disheartening when you see DeAaron Fox and Donovan Mitchell dominated.

Also, yet again just preseason but I absolutely will be turned off if Wes Matthews gets to handle the ball and shoot as much as he did last night. He's a catch and shoot guy, not freaking Kobe Bryant.

He really needs to stop, the point of starting Curry was to give DSJ another playmaker who can also shoot, Wes can't really do either these days. if Wes did his job as a SG, we'd probably be starting Noel. I know I sound like abroken record, and this team will be bottom level regardless, but he needs to go,. Trading him will at least make the lineups more sensible and enjoyable to watch, at this point I'd rather trade him for Marvin Williams and start at the forward spot,

If he is used this way, like a ball-dominant chucker then I am 100% for dumping him. It's not his game in the slightest. It'd be like moving Dirk to point guard.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#23 » by JamesConway » Wed Oct 4, 2017 1:49 pm

Read on Twitter
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#24 » by Dirk » Wed Oct 4, 2017 2:43 pm

JamesConway wrote:
Read on Twitter

Are you emotionally involved with the new man from Wurzburg trying to make the squad... or it doesn't really matter much? He wasn't afraid to shoot, I'll say that. It'd be pretty cool if he was actually serviceable and continued the German legacy in Dallas.

Chocolate Daddy wrote:If he is used this way, like a ball-dominant chucker then I am 100% for dumping him. It's not his game in the slightest. It'd be like moving Dirk to point guard.

It's a strange dynamic, because everyone sees that he is not very effective at it, yet it feels like there's no real leash --- this is on the coach.

I am sure Matthews viewed the Mavs as a chance to further develop himself as a player - bigger role and more ball handling responsibilities. As well as probably thinking that he 'needs' to live up to the salary, so he tries to do too much.

This is what makes him intriguing, because if he scaled back to being the guy who played defense and just stretched the floor... his numbers would probably look pretty decent.

As it is, it feels like there won't be any stop to the crazy dribbling and low percentage step back shots. With that said, if DSJ settles in well, along with Curry... then surely Matthews will not handle the rock very much.

Interestingly, Barnes is the one guy who should probably be put in more positions of dribbling and creating for others to try to expand his game. Matthews really just needs to be used as a straight catch and shoot guy on offense.
60/21/10
JamesConway
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by JamesConway » Wed Oct 4, 2017 3:02 pm

Dirk wrote:
JamesConway wrote:
Read on Twitter

Are you emotionally involved with the new man from Wurzburg trying to make the squad... or it doesn't really matter much? He wasn't afraid to shoot, I'll say that. It'd be pretty cool if he was actually serviceable and continued the German legacy in Dallas.

Not really. I barely follow the national league over here or team GER. It's a fun sidestory but that's pretty much it for me on a personal note. Generally speaking I think he's good enough to make the roster and has easily the tools to be an adequate backup-PF in this league but who knows. If he stinks it up in preseason then he might not even make the team. The first game wasn't a good start. But I think he's a great bet to make the squad solely going by his ability to stretch the floor. None of Withey/Mejri/Noel/Powell/Ashley/Motley bring that skill to the table which is a major plus for him I'd imagine.

Another thing: I listened to the locked on-podcast the other day. They were talking about how Carlisle specifically mentioned Dozier as a player he views as an option not only for PG/SG, but also for the 3. At 6'6 with PG skills we could really use a player of that mold, especially a young prospect. I don't know him much, just read a couple of things that went from him being a poor man's version of Michael Carter-Williams up to a Shaun Livingston-starter kit. Therefor I'm hopeful that he'll play tonight and we get a chance to find out more about him.
JamesConway
Sixth Man

Re: Mavericks Pre-season 2017 [G2: Oct 4th vs Bulls] 

Post#26 » by JamesConway » Wed Oct 4, 2017 4:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
CoachJimCarrey
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#27 » by CoachJimCarrey » Thu Oct 5, 2017 2:08 am

I am blown away by the smarts, composure, and decision making from DSJ. Dude has a great head on his shoulders. I'm liking his motor on defense too, even though that may be the dissenting opinion on this board.
CoachJimCarrey
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#28 » by CoachJimCarrey » Thu Oct 5, 2017 2:12 am

Watching Dwight Powell shoot hurts my eyes
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#29 » by Pinkyring » Thu Oct 5, 2017 2:23 am

Good bounce back game for dsj and the team overall i also really like what barnes has done through thess games especially after how horrible he was last preseason, that said he needs the ball more, i should never see a wes dirk pnr
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#30 » by Darren » Thu Oct 5, 2017 2:53 am

Gian Clavell sounds like an increasingly interesting prospect except free throw percentage. This game doesn't show anything but how closed Chicago is from the top pick. This team is even worser than Brooklyn last season.
JamesConway
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by JamesConway » Thu Oct 5, 2017 3:00 am

Is it too early to say that Clavell needs to make the team? He put up great numbers as the nr 1 guy in college, had a strong SL with Miami and continues to do so here in preseason. The guy clearly can play basketball at that level. 6'4, not a highflyer but also not unathletic at all, can shoot, floor it, attack the hoop and dribble the ball twice in a row without having it roll off his feet. I like him a lot. Looks a bit like a steal, hopefully he'll have another good game against Orlando tomorrow when the camp guys will likely get even bigger opportunities.

Dennis' highlights:

Read on Twitter

And some quotes from Rick:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#32 » by Darren » Thu Oct 5, 2017 3:24 am

Nice bounce back from DSJ. Hopefully, he can play consistently against tougher matchup. I like the basketball smart shown in creating and attacking mismatch to his advantages. However, it seems like we've to address an issue of touches of guys. Some guys need the ball in their hands to be effective.

Barnes has quietly put the team on his shoulders. I think this consistency spells a lot of toughness and leadership. He's so confortable against randam nba 4. Besides his advertised up-and-under, he seems to add putbacks and easy baskets to his advantage.
JamesConway
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by JamesConway » Thu Oct 5, 2017 2:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Re: Mavericks Pre-season 2017 [G3: Oct 5th @ Orlando Magic] 

Post#34 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Oct 5, 2017 6:26 pm

Read on Twitter
Chocolate Daddy
Ballboy

Post#35 » by Chocolate Daddy » Thu Oct 5, 2017 6:31 pm

Hoping Dennis can carry over what he did last night. I know his conditioning still needs major work.

I remember attitude and lousiness, especially on defense, were marks against him coming out of college. Was conditioning? For the best athlete in the draft who sports a near 50-inch vert, that is very shocking. Are any of the other top picks having issues with conditioning? i.e. Ball, Fultz, Jackson, Tatum, Fox, Monk, etc,,,,
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#36 » by Dirk » Thu Oct 5, 2017 8:40 pm

Clavell has some nifty moves.
Gfycat Video - Click to Play
60/21/10
Chocolate Daddy
Ballboy

Post#37 » by Chocolate Daddy » Thu Oct 5, 2017 9:28 pm

CoachJimCarrey wrote:I am blown away by the smarts, composure, and decision making from DSJ. Dude has a great head on his shoulders. I'm liking his motor on defense too, even though that may be the dissenting opinion on this board.

He might be more of a "far more athletic Kyle Lowry" than Westbrook or Derrick Rose, which is still awesome.
JamesConway
Sixth Man

Post#38 » by JamesConway » Thu Oct 5, 2017 10:54 pm

Read on Twitter
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#39 » by 2011Champs » Fri Oct 6, 2017 2:30 am

Well I didn't get to watch the game but I sure didn't see many bright spots looking at the box score.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#40 » by Dirk » Fri Oct 6, 2017 10:00 am

JamesConway wrote:
Read on Twitter
I haven't had much time to follow up the news and updates through the day (so that's why it's cool to read some of your 'recaps' from twitter), so when I went to watch the game on demand... I was given the info "game not televised"... and I could not believe it. I thought they had said that the game would be on Fox Sports.

2011Champs wrote:Well I didn't get to watch the game but I sure didn't see many bright spots looking at the box score.

When not even the main assistant coach travels with the team... you know there is something odd with scheduling this game.
60/21/10

Return to Dallas Mavericks