Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Re: Noel Switches Agents in Search of Max Deal 

Post#2 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:52 am

Woooooow!!! Maybe we can salvage that relationship!!!! Let's do it Fegan!

Cubes should up his offer, or if I'm Noel I take the QO.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#3 » by 2011Champs » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:47 am

Mavs need to hold their ground. We don't need to cripple the franchise by signing Noel to an unreasonably high contract for his output and injury history. 17.2ppg&11.6rpg without injury issues would be worth a max salary. Noel is half of that and worth half of the max @ 12.5-13 million ish per year.
I'm much more comfortable letting Noel walk rather than having a huge part of the cap devoted to an undersized center. Just roll the dice on Dirk, Withey, Powell and Mejri as the center rotation.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#4 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:48 am

2011Champs wrote:Mavs need to hold their ground. We don't need to cripple the franchise by signing Noel to an unreasonably high contract for his output and injury history. 17.2ppg&11.6rpg without injury issues would be worth a max salary. Noel is half of that and worth half of the max @ 12.5-13 million ish per year.
I'm much more comfortable letting Noel walk rather than having a huge part of the cap devoted to an undersized center. Just roll the dice on Dirk, Withey, Powell and Mejri as the center rotation.

Anything under 20 I'm happy. If he was RFA for the Sixer's how much would you have offered?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#5 » by 2011Champs » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
2011Champs wrote:Mavs need to hold their ground. We don't need to cripple the franchise by signing Noel to an unreasonably high contract for his output and injury history. 17.2ppg&11.6rpg without injury issues would be worth a max salary. Noel is half of that and worth half of the max @ 12.5-13 million ish per year.

Anything under 20 I'm happy. If he was RFA for the Sixer's how much would you have offered?

I'd probably overpaid and gone as high as 15mil per just to make the sixers think harder about matching.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#6 » by Captain_Obvious » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:22 pm

2011Champs wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:

I'd probably overpaid and gone as high as 15mil per just to make the sixers think harder about matching.

He likely would not have signed that offer sheet. I think most teams got the vibe that Mavs are going to match anything, I doubt most teams would think the same if he still was on the 76ers.

I wonder about his motivation for switching his agent now. Anyway, I hope the Mavs actively are engaged in negotiations with Fegan now and iron out a good offer for both sides. If that happens fast, I think the relationship of Noel and Mavs might have taken less damage long term.

Not really interested in Noel on the QO contract, as that would be a one year rental. I rather just waive or trade him then tbh - lose more games this year.

I'm fine with up to 18 millions / year, but long term.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#7 » by JamesConway » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:56 pm

Is this even accurate? It's been reported that Noel changed to Fegan about half a year ago back when he still played for the Sixers. Then Fegan got into some type of legal trouble (iirc he got his license revoked or at least something along those lines) which lead to Noel joining Happy Walters who works/used to work for Fegan's agency.

I'm not even sure Fegan is allowed to be an agent right now. That whole article might be way off...
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,316

Post#8 » by Clyde Frazier » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:52 pm

This doesn't feel like it's gonna end well :-?
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#9 » by 2011Champs » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:23 am

Well we didn't lose much even if Noel doesn't work out here. I want Noel here but I'm fine with giving Withey an opportunity with heavier minutes instead.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#10 » by arkuo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:26 pm

Oh snap!! Fegan's on board. I think it's no coincidencr that Fegan also represent's Demarcus Cousins.

So it may be a really smart move by Noel to get more from Cuban. I'd be ok to give Noel more as long as a wink wink deal is in place for Fegan to send Cousins here next summer for another max deal. Fegan keeps Noel happy. He earns commissions from it. Cuban's happy if Cousins lands here. And Fegan still earns from it too. All sides walk out pleased.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,807

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:44 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:This doesn't feel like it's gonna end well :-?

I mean all the logic says a deal gets done. Dallas wants Noel. Noel has an injury history that makes playing on the QO really risky, plus limited cap space available next summer, with Jordan and Cousins both on the market as well. Noel could find the music stop next year again with no big contract for him. And even if he got a good contract, he'd never make up the money he lost from this year.

But yeah, its starting to look like logic is losing out to ego with Noel. And that's worrisome. I still want to believe this gets worked out because its in everyone's best interest, but if its max or nothing for Noel its obviously going to be nothing.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
k-lynch201
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#12 » by k-lynch201 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:51 pm

This shouldnt change our stance on not paying Noel anywhere near max.

Even 16mil a year is pushing it, no other team is paying ANY free agent that much at this point of free agency. NN hasnt even talked to a team besides us as far as we all know, and on top of that who even has 20mil left to gamble on him?

My hope is Fegan is there to tell Noel what hes got is the best its going to get and to take it ASAP or bet on himself.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#13 » by fuller4379 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:56 pm

I would rather sign him to the RFA deal than a 4 year, max deal. I don't like rewarding unproven potential with huge money. $18 million per year max, but that is about $5 million per year overpay.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#14 » by SOUNDCHASER » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Rather wait another year and draft center help if he takes max money to sign.

He is not dominating the centers in the west he is probably not able to beat his man on a consistant basis enough to warrant being a long term piece past his 30's.

He was not considered a keeper in philly and he is not 7' tall or still growing. athleticism fades so he is not going to be a decent enough player in his 30's to want to make him stay on forever. You have to be an offensive force to justify big money in your mid to late 30's so he is needing to develop his shooting a great deal more. He knows this if he has paid attention to the career of Dwight Howard.

Jokic
KAT
Jordan
Brooks
Pau Gasol
Marc Gasol
Capela / Hartenstein / Nene
Cousins
Chandler / Len
Willie Cauley-Stein this guy has similar numbers to Noel.
Gobert
Adams
Nurkic / Leonard / Collins

Does he move the dial enough against these guys? I think they are mostly better options on offense and guys who have size advantages will score on Noel and outrebound him.

Who does he beat significantly enough to warrant getting overpaid?

In another few years the Gasol brothers are gone along with Nene and possibly Chandler and maybe Brooks if he gets injured again.
There are some younger guys that are going to need to develop that we could see develop into tough players to match up with.

Rookies Hartenstein and Collins might look decent but it normally takes years to develop skills though Collins was a high pick who could step up this year his team already has decent play at the center so he can take his time.

The big center is not as critical to a teams success as we see in top teams like CLE, BOS, HOU and GSW.

Maybe Noel is just good enough to do the job if there are the right pieces around him.

Personally speaking I think we need more offensive firepower at the big positions to make up for Dirks drop off and to prepare for his retirement.

The game plan may be to add a F or C or both in the draft next off season and spend money on a FA big as well.

Noel needs to be reasonable and recognize he is a low level producer with unproven upside and he also has an injury past that makes teams leary of giving him big money and his game is not superior enough to put him in the discussion for an all star selection or even near all star level. All stars get paid non all stars get paid to just not as much.

Gobert Cousins and Kat and maybe Jokic are the cream of the crop so how he played against them is what we need to use to evaluate his game. If you recall this is what he did last season against the following teams those guys play on.

points/ rebounds
MIN 8/1
UTA 14/ 5
NOP 6.7/ 6.3
DEN 8.5/ 3.5
POR 5/ 9

That is nothing to write home about if you ask me. He scored decetly against Utah but was Gobert playing in that game and he averaged 17.5 / 10.5 against us last season. I want more from our center.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#15 » by DBoys » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Much to do about nothing. Not convinced Noel has changed anything.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#16 » by JamesConway » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:03 am

Read on Twitter
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#17 » by 2011Champs » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:33 am

Simple yes or no, Will Noel play another game as a Dallas Maverick?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#18 » by HMFFL » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:45 am

Noel is risky business but I want him back. We must hold our ground and not set ourselves up to be in a bad situation during our short and long-term future.
Noel is the type of player that possibly won't live up to his potential.
Let's hope Noel gives in some.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,807

Post#19 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:03 am

2011Champs wrote:Simple yes or no, Will Noel play another game as a Dallas Maverick?

obviously yes because he has no other options. Literally no team has enough cap to sign him to an offer sheet Dallas wouldn't snap match, and so at worst he plays out the year on his QO.

Sucks tho that its come to this.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,827

Post#20 » by dirkforpres » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:38 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
2011Champs wrote:Simple yes or no, Will Noel play another game as a Dallas Maverick?

obviously yes because he has no other options. Literally no team has enough cap to sign him to an offer sheet Dallas wouldn't snap match, and so at worst he plays out the year on his QO.

Sucks tho that its come to this.

Definitely. He's in for a rude awakening if he expects a max next summer instead though. The market has spoken.
FIRE JASON KIDD

Return to Dallas Mavericks