ImageImageImage

Will Noel walk?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Will Nerlens Noel walk?

Poll ended at Fri May 25, 2018 10:30 am

No. The Mavs will offer 20Million + per year
5%
No. He will sign for less than 20Million per year.
5%
He's gone. We won't offer enough to keep him.
18%
He's gone. The relationship is beyond repair, regardless of the Mavericks offer.
23%
He's gone if anyone offers a comparable deal to us.
50%

Total votes: 22

Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Will Noel walk? 

Post#1 » by Roddy B for 3 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 am

As an aside this would be the third greatest Maverick to walk in the Cuban era imo.

Nash
Tyson
Nerlens
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Will Noel walk? 

Post#2 » by Pinkyring » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:48 pm

hopefully so
Chocolate Daddy
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#3 » by Chocolate Daddy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Really no idea to know the market for Noel at the moment. Of course he could average a double double and display elite defensive play and get $20+ mil from many teams and we may or may not match.

I thought Noel looked good the last game we played. I've come to realize that even if he doesn't start, he'll still play around 30 a night. Dirk should get around 25 a night (which leaves 23 minutes at the C spot) plus I could see some lineups with Noel and another big. I'm mainly looking for defense and rebounding (9+ rpg) from Noel.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#4 » by arkuo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Personally, I think Noel coming off the bench may actually be good for his development. Cramming him with the starting unit of Dennis, Seth, Wes and Barnes would make him 4th ot 5th option on offense, as opposed to the 2nd unit which would actually call plays for him.

To me this was pre-agreed between him and Carlisle. Which is pretty fair. We get to start Dirk and let DSJ and HB become the focal point of the offense. Noel gets to develop another side of his game while he bets on himself. If it pans out then we pay the guy. If he thinks he's still worth $25M then we let someone else foot the bill. Pretty fair both ways.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 832

Post#5 » by Teffer10 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:23 pm

I'm trying to figure out the whole Dirk vs Noel starting center situation.

This is most likely Dirk's last season and if Noel is our long-term solution at center there is a huge contrast between Dirk's and Noel's game. In other words, Dirk is a stretch 5 and Noel is defensive-oriented so it seems we will waste an entire season of developing DSJ/Barnes/Noel as a starting core and the contrast in Noel's and Dirk's games makes it even more puzzling.
I'm fine with Dirk starting but this season should be primarily focused on developing and building continuity in our youthful core than it should be about winning with Dirk.

I just feel we're in a situation where we should concentrate on the guys who have the best chance of being here 5 years from now and any others should be considered role players.

So my guess is that Noel will be gone because it appears the Mavs don't have him in their long-term plans unless he elevates to at least a level of all-star status which would make him very marketable and he'll probably be gone anyway mostly because of a bench role in Dallas. I honestly see very little chance that he is a Mav next season.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Post#6 » by dirkforpres » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:14 am

I think they’ll let him walk and chase after Boogie. I think that’s been Dallas’ plan for a while now, and one that I personally would prefer.
FIRE JASON KIDD
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#7 » by 2011Champs » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:As an aside this would be the third greatest Maverick to walk in the Cuban era imo.

Nash
Tyson
Nerlens

While that may be true, he is no where close to the level of Nash or Tyson.
Maybe someday, but right now he is an 8p/5r guy. I'm not losing sleep over Noel departing.

I'm not getting attached to Noel because I believe he is good as gone after this season and possibly sooner if a team offers an asset for the rental of his services.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#8 » by Roddy B for 3 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:59 pm

2011Champs wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:As an aside this would be the third greatest Maverick to walk in the Cuban era imo.

Nash
Tyson
Nerlens

While that may be true, he is no where close to the level of Nash or Tyson.
Maybe someday, but right now he is an 8p/5r guy. I'm not losing sleep over Noel departing.

I'm not getting attached to Noel because I believe he is good as gone after this season and possibly sooner if a team offers an asset for the rental of his services.

I think if Noel can stay healthy he provides near DPOY defense and above average rebounding + above average scoring for a modern defensive oriented center . That if is a big IF tho.

I wish Dirk would tell Rick he wants to win a 6MOY and let Noel start. If he can hold up for Harrison Barnes like minutes then throw a 4year 90Million offer at him. If he gets hurt let him walk.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
arkuo
General Manager

Post#9 » by arkuo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:25 pm

Any chance we get to trade Noel for Jusuf Nurkic? Seems like he may not be getting an extension in Portland. A straight up deal works should Noel agree to it, of course.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:21 pm

dirkforpres wrote:I think they’ll let him walk and chase after Boogie. I think that’s been Dallas’ plan for a while now, and one that I personally would prefer.

I think this is the plan too---and I wouldn't be surprised if they even trade for him if New Orleans struggles. However, unlike you I want no part of Boogie. He's an absurd talent, but doesn't play nearly to that level and I just don't trust that to change and Rick isn't going to baby him so I could see potential disaster.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#11 » by Pinkyring » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Noel doesn't have a position thats the problem he's too small to dominate defensively and has no offensive game, dwight howard is punishing him right now
arkuo
General Manager

Post#12 » by arkuo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:20 am

Pinkyring wrote:Noel doesn't have a position thats the problem he's too small to dominate defensively and has no offensive game, dwight howard is punishing him right now

I think this is where us getting somebody like Boogie Cousins (or Embiid) becomes useful. Boogie instantly starts at C. Dirk hands him the keys. Noel slides to PF doing what he does best and that is play defense on smaller PFs and help on the weak side D. With that role he can be our version of Draymond Green. Boogie obviously would anchor the scoring in the paint. Noel would most likely score of lobs or putbacks. In an ideal scenario, of course.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,540

Post#13 » by jpengland » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:39 pm

There is barely anybody with more than MLE space next summer.

Noel is going to be bitterly dissapointed wktjhis market once again.

He ends up.back on the Mavs for about what he turned down this summer.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Teffer10 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:18 pm

jpengland wrote:There is barely anybody with more than MLE space next summer.

With a Center-rich draft in 2018 it will make it tougher because most teams that want/need a Center will probably grab one in the draft. I could see 7 or 8 true centers going in the first round and a few 4/5 combos.

And I'm not so sure Cuban makes that same offer again unless Noel puts up all-star numbers this season. Mavs could very well draft one of those most likely avialable centers.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Teffer10 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:36 pm

arkuo wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Noel doesn't have a position thats the problem he's too small to dominate defensively and has no offensive game, dwight howard is punishing him right now

I think this is where us getting somebody like Boogie Cousins (or Embiid) becomes useful. Boogie instantly starts at C. Dirk hands him the keys. Noel slides to PF doing what he does best and that is play defense on smaller PFs and help on the weak side D. With that role he can be our version of Draymond Green. Boogie obviously would anchor the scoring in the paint. Noel would most likely score of lobs or putbacks. In an ideal scenario, of course.

I agree Boogie and Noel would be great chemistry but I can't see any way we'd be able to sign both cap-wise. Perhaps a poor-man's version of Noel like a young version of Brandan Wright would be a more realistic route if we ever get so lucky to sign Boogie.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#16 » by fuller4379 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:05 pm

I am happy that we get a year to test drive him and see if he is any good or not. If he is good, then the Mavs will pay him. He seems to be motivated by money; therefore, I don't see him walking since the Mavs can give him the most money.

So far he has played 22 games for the Mavs. He was solid for the Mavs, but I want a larger sample size to decide if he is worth a 4 year $80 million contract or not. In the last two seasons he missed 62 out of 164 games and I don't want to pay $20 million to someone who will miss one third of the season.
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#17 » by spaceballer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:42 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
jpengland wrote:There is barely anybody with more than MLE space next summer.

With a Center-rich draft in 2018 it will make it tougher because most teams that want/need a Center will probably grab one in the draft. I could see 7 or 8 true centers going in the first round and a few 4/5 combos.

And I'm not so sure Cuban makes that same offer again unless Noel puts up all-star numbers this season. Mavs could very well draft one of those most likely avialable centers.

Fortunately, free agency happens after the draft. So there will be a chance to assess how the free agency market is altered post-draft before making offers.
Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Post#18 » by Soupman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:37 am

Noel shops around for a better offer and situation but we offer an extra year and a bigger role(a low post anchor to complement Dennis "Spiderman" smith's athleticism,Curry's shooting, and Yogi's playmaking).
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#19 » by 2011Champs » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Noel was probably WTF do I have to do to get more than 20 minutes? Noel played like an all star Vs Atlanta yet was benched in the 4th quarter for Dwight "Scrub" Powell. Noel will get completely discouraged here in Dallas.
Chocolate Daddy
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#20 » by Chocolate Daddy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:37 pm

As well as Noel played last night, in the long run if you've solidified a top 5 pick and can get Ayton or Bamba, then you easily let him walk.

A Smith/Ayton or Bamba duo has me shedding tears of excitement.

Return to Dallas Mavericks