ImageImageImage

Trades & Roster ideas 2018-19

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Re: Trades & Roster ideas 17-18 

Post#1121 » by dirkforpres » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:47 pm

fuller4379 wrote:We got 14 million in pre-draft cap school ace. I’d give up 33, 2019 first (top 3 protected), and Wes and / or Powell for the 4 pick plus Parsons. That would create a great young core.

I would offer the pick with no protection if that made it more appealing to them. Dallas needs this deal to get done.
FIRE JASON KIDD
DeadPool1138
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#1122 » by DeadPool1138 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:48 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
I dont know if the Wiz would take both given Powell's 10 mil the year after, but if they would, I'd sure as heck do it. I love Sato as I get to see pretty much every Wiz game, they may be hesitant to include him, but even without, still may be worth it

See, I think the Wizards would be asking for Powell.

They are stuck under the cap with no ability to get better and Powell would actually fit in really well on that team in my opinion. Didn't Wall say he wanted to play with a frontcourt player with a bit more bounce a few months ago?

I think if the Wizards could get two quality rotation player and get off the Ian contract, they'd jump at it. I love Sato as well, but he is on the last year of his deal so he might not be a long term asset for them anyway.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#1123 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:49 pm

fuller4379 wrote:We got 14 million in pre-draft cap school ace. I’d give up 33, 2019 first (top 3 protected), and Wes and / or Powell for the 4 pick plus Parsons. That would create a great young core.

I'd need more protections on that pick, we are going to suck, so top 3 is not safe enough

Who would you target at 4-5 if the first 3 are Ayton-bagley-doncic, I think therein lies the problem. The next 2 bpa are JJ and Bamba who dont seem like they'd fit well together. Porter is a DNP-back, DNP-hip, DNP-soft waiting to happen
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1124 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:50 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

I would offer the pick with no protection if that made it more appealing to them. Dallas needs this deal to get done.

you'd still do it if doncic was off the board? (With ayton-bagley being the other 2). Essentially, would u take Parsons and give up an unprotected pick for MPJ?
DeadPool1138
Freshman

Post#1125 » by DeadPool1138 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:50 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

Wait, what?

What makes you think the Mavericks won't suck next year if we are trading away players like Barnes and Matthews while playing whoever we take at 4 and 5 a lot of minutes?

That pick needs to be top 10 protected for multiple years or we get fleeced.

We could easily be picking in the top 3 next year.

The price for a team to take on the Parsons contract would be at least the 15th pick in the draft this year. Even then I'm not sure that is enough.

So we'd take on Parsons, give them back two quality players, the 33rd pick, and you want us to give them an unprotected first rounder that would project to be in the top 10 for sure?

No way. I'm all for getting the 4th pick, but we can't give an unprotected first up for it. Mavericks fans need to realize just how bad this team could be for at least the next 2 years if a deal like this gets done.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1126 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:50 pm

DeadPool1138 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Wait, what?

What makes you think the Mavericks won't suck next year if we are trading away players like Barnes and Matthews while playing whoever we take at 4 and 5 a lot of minutes?

It's nice when we agree
DeadPool1138
Freshman

Post#1127 » by DeadPool1138 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:54 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
It's nice when we agree

:D
DeadPool1138
Freshman

Post#1128 » by DeadPool1138 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:56 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y78h9mrp

That plus 33 and a top 10 protected first rounder for multiple years is more than enough for the Grizzlies if they want to challenge for 50 wins and get off Parsons.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1129 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:57 pm

DeadPool1138 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
I dont know if the Wiz would take both given Powell's 10 mil the year after, but if they would, I'd sure as heck do it. I love Sato as I get to see pretty much every Wiz game, they may be hesitant to include him, but even without, still may be worth it

See, I think the Wizards would be asking for Powell.

They are stuck under the cap with no ability to get better and Powell would actually fit in really well on that team in my opinion. Didn't Wall say he wanted to play with a frontcourt player with a bit more bounce a few months ago?

I think if the Wizards could get two quality rotation player and get off the Ian contract, they'd jump at it. I love Sato as well, but he is on the last year of his deal so he might not be a long term asset for them anyway.

Would you include our 33rd pick and/or Kleber if they asked? I'd definitely would have no issue putting maxi in there as a sweetener, the 33rd would eb tough, but we are talking pick 15

and if that trade did go down, what are some names u would target at #15?
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#1130 » by dirkforpres » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:58 pm

DeadPool1138 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Wait, what?

The price for a team to take on the Parsons contract would be at least the 15th pick in the draft this year. Even then I'm not sure that is enough.

So we'd take on Parsons, give them back two quality players, the 33rd pick, and you want us to give them an unprotected first rounder that would project to be in the top 10 for sure?

No way. I'm all for getting the 4th pick, but we can't give an unprotected first up for it. Mavericks fans need to realize just how bad this team could be for at least the next 2 years if a deal like this gets done.

Assuming the deal for 4 is Wes and Powell for Parsons, we still have room to sign a quality free agent along with adding two top 5 picks. For this example, i'm going to assume the picks are Doncic and Bamba and we sign Julius Randle. That team makes the playoffs next year and even if it doesn't, it comes very close. There will at least be at a minimum, 10 teams worse than that and the 2019 draft class is awful... I want no part of it.
FIRE JASON KIDD
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1131 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:02 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
DeadPool1138 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Wait, what?

Assuming the deal for 4 is Wes and Powell for Parsons, we still have room to sign a quality free agent along with adding two top 5 picks. For this example, i'm going to assume the picks are Doncic and Bamba and we sign Julius Randle. That team makes the playoffs next year and even if it doesn't, it comes very close. There will at least be at a minimum, 10 teams worse than that and the 2019 draft class is awful... I want no part of it.

But you have to know as a Mavs fan, the one year we win the lottery will be the year where we should've gotten the #12-#13 pick
DeadPool1138
Freshman

Post#1132 » by DeadPool1138 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:03 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

You don't take the risk, not to mention our track record of getting free agents is poor to say the least.

Regardless, even signing another player, playing Smith, Luka, and Bamba big minutes (like we should) is a recipe for a bottom 5 team and would not be projected to make the playoffs at all.

Almost no way a team like that gets close to 45 wins, which would be the minimum it takes to make the playoffs.

Also, I'd be shocked if the Grizzlies didn't demand Barnes in the trade as he fills a need and is a better player than Matthews.

In addition, the 4th and 5th picks historically have way too much of a bust potential to start trading away future unprotected picks in drafts you don't even have a clue your team can win over 35 games.
DeadPool1138
Freshman

Post#1133 » by DeadPool1138 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:05 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Would you include our 33rd pick and/or Kleber if they asked? I'd definitely would have no issue putting maxi in there as a sweetener, the 33rd would eb tough, but we are talking pick 15

Yea, I would.

I like Smith, Walker, and Shai in that range. I also think Big Robert is under-rated and would like him depending on how the early part of the draft shakes out for us.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1134 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:10 pm

DeadPool1138 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Yea, I would.

I like Smith, Walker, and Shai in that range. I also think Big Robert is under-rated and would like him depending on how the early part of the draft shakes out for us.

yea Robert would make sense only if we drafted Doncic at 5, but if we got JJJ or Bamba, i'd lean towards a guard like Smith. I like SGA as well, not sure who may be the best fit with SGA. WOuldn't rule out trading it for a guy like Kennard either of Detorit's FO wants to put their stamp and have their own first round guy to select.
DeadPool1138
Freshman

Post#1135 » by DeadPool1138 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:14 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
yea Robert would make sense only if we drafted Doncic at 5, but if we got JJJ or Bamba, i'd lean towards a guard like Smith. I like SGA as well, not sure who may be the best fit with SGA. WOuldn't rule out trading it for a guy like Kennard either of Detorit's FO wants to put their stamp and have their own first round guy to select.

All exciting chances.

Hard to not get the hopes up that there are real paths to us having the 4th, 5th, and 15th picks in this draft, or at least something similar if our front office is thinking correctly in my opinion.

Smith, those 3 picks, and a ton of cap space after the 2020 season would pump some life into the franchise.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#1136 » by dirkforpres » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:18 pm

DeadPool1138 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

You don't take the risk, not to mention our track record of getting free agents is poor to say the least.

Regardless, even signing another player, playing Smith, Luka, and Bamba big minutes (like we should) is a recipe for a bottom 5 team and would not be projected to make the playoffs at all.

Almost no way a team like that gets close to 45 wins, which would be the minimum it takes to make the playoffs.

Also, I'd be shocked if the Grizzlies didn't demand Barnes in the trade as he fills a need and is a better player than Matthews.

In addition, the 4th and 5th picks historically have way too much of a bust potential to start trading away future unprotected picks in drafts you don't even have a clue your team can win over 35 games.

IIRC, the 5th pick has produced more all stars than any other pick in the entire draft so I think we are in a good position to draft an impact player at that spot.

Mavs haven’t had free agent success for 2 reasons.

1) always over the cap until about 6 years ago
2) nobody wants to play on a team who’s best player is in the twilight years of his career.

Having young exciting players like Doncic, Bamba, Smith is a solid sell to any free agent.. Especially when they are from Dallas (Randle)

I don’t even think it’s a gamble. We will be better than 4th worst next year. Why not take the opportunity to grab the 4th pick THIS year
FIRE JASON KIDD
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#1137 » by fuller4379 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:22 pm

DeadPool1138 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

All exciting chances.

Hard to not get the hopes up that there are real paths to us having the 4th, 5th, and 15th picks in this draft, or at least something similar if our front office is thinking correctly in my opinion.

Smith, those 3 picks, and a ton of cap space after the 2020 season would pump some life into the franchise.

...but in the end the Mavs will probably do nothing. When was the last time the Mavs traded up in the draft? Devin Harris?
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#1138 » by fuller4379 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:24 pm

I think giving up Barnes, next year’s first, and eating Parsons contract is too much to pay for pick 4.
DeadPool1138
Freshman

Post#1139 » by DeadPool1138 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:25 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
IIRC, the 5th pick has produced more all stars than any other pick in the entire draft so I think we are in a good position to draft an impact player at that spot.

Mavs haven’t had free agent success for 2 reasons.

1) always over the cap until about 6 years ago
2) nobody wants to play on a team who’s best player is in the twilight years of his career.

Having young exciting players like Doncic, Bamba, Smith is a solid sell to any free agent.. Especially when they are from Dallas (Randle)

I don’t even think it’s a gamble. We will be better than 4th worst next year. Why not take the opportunity to grab the 4th pick THIS year

Go back and look at some of the names for both the 4th and 5th picks over the last 20 years. You'll seem some stars, some good players, and some guys you won't even remember were in the league. I'm not arguing against the value of the picks, just that we need to learn from Hinkie, you need multiple chances to get it right. Nobody can predict this stuff.

Even if landing a quality player, that team does not project well. The Lakers might be a 55 win team next year and I see no reason why we'd be better than the Nuggets or even the Grizzlies.

You need to think in terms of making good deals. It isn't a good deal, for example, to send them the 9th pick next year, two quality players, and take on the Parsons contract for the 4th pick. And that is assuming it is the 9th pick. What if it is the 2nd pick?

You aren't realizing how bad the Mavericks could be next year playing Smith and two rookies all 25 plus minutes a game.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#1140 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:27 pm

fuller4379 wrote:I think giving up Barnes, next year’s first, and eating Parsons contract is too much to pay for pick 4.

I'm with you on this

Return to Dallas Mavericks