ImageImageImage

Trades & Roster ideas 2018-19

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Re: Trades & Roster ideas 17-18 

Post#661 » by Torgeir Bryn » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Darren wrote:How do every body else think of Julius Randle? He's been solid lately. He's surprisingly good assist man at 4. He comes from Texas. I think he will work very hard in front of his family and friends. Not surprisingly, Randle and the Mavs may have mutual interests. However, he's restricted. If we want him, we have to agree to term with him early. I think he's more solid PF than Bagley.

I certainly like him more than I did at the start of the season. His defence has improved and he seems to play smarter.
For me it depends on who we draft. I'd be fine with it if we draft a defensive big man like Jackson or Bamba, but I don't think it would be the best fit next to a offence first guy like Ayton or Bagley.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#662 » by daoneandonly » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm

Torgeir Bryn wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Torgeir Bryn wrote:
Jefferson over Parker is pretty wild, dude :lol:

Anyways, the most important part of my post was the part you didn't respond to.

Ayton is not American, nor is Bamba. I'm not certain at all they'll succeed in the NBA, but there are at least guys like Dirk, Giannis, the Gasol brothers who reach levels of greatness as big men from overseas. There are very very few guards who we can say the same about, there in lies my point about this whole thing. Again sure he can play SF, but then we best move Barnes because our D and rebounding will suck mightly if Barnes is our PF and Donic is our 3. That lineup is not winning anything.

And NJ Jefferson was a stud, sure he played with Kidd, but Parker played with the best PF in the history of the game. I don't think he'd be 1/3 of what he has been without Timmy D.

Isn't Bamba American? Ayton is born on Bahamas, but the point is that they are both a part of the American basketball system.

You're entitled to that opinion, but I don't see how Timmy made him the fastest guy and one of the best paint finishers in the league.

You're right about Bamba, I don't know where I got my facts from that he was from somewhere else. But my point stands, if we get a pick in the top 3, I'd take Ayton, bagley, or even Jackson jr over Donic. Once it gets past that, then I'd start looking long and hard and Luca, but only if those 3 guys are off the board first. Porter's back scares me, Bamba's lack of an offensive game does as well, so between those 3, I wouldn't mind Doncic.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#663 » by daoneandonly » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Dallas should have tried to get in on the Tor-Sac trade that happened at the TDL, except make it bigger

After the 3 team tarde with Sac-Cle-Utah

Dallas Get: Iman Shumpert, Koftas Koufas, Malachi Richardson
Tor Get: Wes Matthews, Saleh mejri
Sac gets: Jonas Valucinas, Bruno Caboculo

Yes Koftas serves no purpose here, but the trade is to get a flier on a young guy in Richardson. Dallas also turns Wes' huge contract into 2 smaller ones, and Kofta could easily be flipped in the summer, at least much easier than Wes. Another benefit, with the 3 for 2, we wouldn't have space to take on the dead weight non NBA player that is Kyle Collinsworth

Torotno gets another wing for their postseason run who can be a solid backup to Derozan and Miles.

Sac adds on year of JV, but at the expense of 2 guys who don't figure to do much in their rotation as it is. With Pappagiannis cut, Sac could use a young guy at the 5 to test drive.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 832

Post#664 » by Teffer10 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:15 am

2011Champs wrote:
Darren wrote:How do every body else think of Julius Randle? He's been solid lately. He's surprisingly good assist man at 4. He comes from Texas. I think he will work very hard in front of his family and friends. Not surprisingly, Randle and the Mavs may have mutual interests. However, he's restricted. If we want him, we have to agree to term with him early. I think he's more solid PF than Bagley.

I’d love to have Julius Randle in Dallas but I’d like to see who we draft first. I wouldn’t want to throw big money at Randle if we draft another player at the same position or a player that doesn’t fit well on the floor with Randle. I still think we should have put a trade together to acquire both Clarkson and Randle but I guess we just didn’t have the pieces to compete with Cleveland’s offer.
But yeah, if Dallas can make roster adjustments where Randle fits here and will be worth his salary Mavs should pursue him.

I think Dallas knew they'd have a pretty good shot at Randle in the off-season if they want him so it wouldn't make much sense to give up assets or take on salary just to trade for him considering where we are this season.

Plus, as you mention it will depend on the draft. If we draft Bagley or Jackson then we would have given up assets or taken on salary for nothing.

I think not trading for Randle was a very smart move by the Mavs unless a Noel for Randle swap was available.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#665 » by Mr B » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:31 pm

More specifically Randle is from Dallas. Well Plano to be specific. He’s restricted but the Lakers are expected to renounce his rights in order to free up the cap hold. I think it will all come down to who the Mavs draft. If they draft Bagley or Jackson there is no need for Randle. If they draft Bamba then Randle doesn’t really fit. If they draft Doncic or even Ayton I think they will make an offer to Randle. I think if they fall back to around the 7-10 range and draft Carter then they could also make an offer to Randle.

Nurkic and Hood are other guys that could be in play depending on who they draft.
Phiology
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#666 » by Phiology » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:14 pm

i also think randle is aight, i also like hood, but think he is not gonna be available.
hezonja might also still improve, but i think he is not worth the risk.

okafor is a joke, he is gonna be out of the league in 3 years, he is unplayable. mcBuckets is also 11-12 bench men potential, as in very bad.

still think it is best to go via draft and not hand out big contracts for above mentioned guys who imo dont move the needle much at all. go all out for the big superstars and try and get some cheap diamonds
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#667 » by JamesConway » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:15 pm

Hezonja has been on a tear throughout February. He had by far his best stretch of games in the NBA over the last two weeks including three straight 20+ point games where he had a ridiculous impact for Orlando on offense. I really hope we sign him. I'd love to get him here. Barnes + Hezonja + McDermott would be a decent group of young wings. And I wouldn't hesitate one moment if we could also add one of the top 5 wings in the draft (Doncic/Porter) on top of that.

Would be great if we could copycat what Ainge was trying to do this year when we wanted to pair Kyrie and Horford with three wings (Kyrie + Jaylen + Hayward + Tatum + Big Al)

Our version could be:

PG: Smith | Yogi
Wing: Doncic
Wing: Hezonja | McDermott
Wing: Barnes
Big: Dirk | Powell

with situational guys to go small (Seth at SG) or big (Kleber or Randle at PF)

I hope we stack up on 6'7+ guys. That's where the league is trending to anyway. Hezonja and Randle would probably be my two nr 1 targets. If we can't draft one of the bigs then I'd be perfectly fine with expanding Powell's role next year.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#668 » by agentofatlas » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:51 am

JamesConway wrote:Hezonja has been on a tear throughout February. He had by far his best stretch of games in the NBA over the last two weeks including three straight 20+ point games where he had a ridiculous impact for Orlando on offense. I really hope we sign him. I'd love to get him here. Barnes + Hezonja + McDermott would be a decent group of young wings. And I wouldn't hesitate one moment if we could also add one of the top 5 wings in the draft (Doncic/Porter) on top of that.

Would be great if we could copycat what Ainge was trying to do this year when we wanted to pair Kyrie and Horford with three wings (Kyrie + Jaylen + Hayward + Tatum + Big Al)

Our version could be:

I hope we stack up on 6'7+ guys. That's where the league is trending to anyway. Hezonja and Randle would probably be my two nr 1 targets. If we can't draft one of the bigs then I'd be perfectly fine with expanding Powell's role next year.

I like where your head's at but that lineup would get killed on defense. The offense will score a billion points tho. :lol:

I agree with your premise though, the league is changing or has changed. Like Carlisle said it's all about skill specifically shooting and passing. NBA teams have figured it out on offense. If you can spread the floor with 4 or more shooters, no matter how good you are defensively, they can score. Young Dirk would've killed in this era.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#669 » by Teffer10 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:57 pm

agentofatlas wrote:
JamesConway wrote:Hezonja has been on a tear throughout February. He had by far his best stretch of games in the NBA over the last two weeks including three straight 20+ point games where he had a ridiculous impact for Orlando on offense. I really hope we sign him. I'd love to get him here. Barnes + Hezonja + McDermott would be a decent group of young wings. And I wouldn't hesitate one moment if we could also add one of the top 5 wings in the draft (Doncic/Porter) on top of that.

Our version could be:

I like where your head's at but that lineup would get killed on defense. The offense will score a billion points tho. :lol:

I agree with your premise though, the league is changing or has changed. Like Carlisle said it's all about skill specifically shooting and passing. NBA teams have figured it out on offense. If you can spread the floor with 4 or more shooters, no matter how good you are defensively, they can score. Young Dirk would've killed in this era.

I could certainly buy into the 6'8" wings strategy and think Doncic would be a great for that situation but I think to make it work you'd have to have an Aminu/Marion type player as one of those guys. A guy who will do some of the dirty work and play D but not completely kill you on offense. I also think it would be best to have an athletic big who would do some of the dirty work as well.
That being said I don't think we'd need either Hezonja or McDermott but I'd keep one of them. If DFS can develop into that Aminu/Marion type player then I'd like to see the Mavs draft Doncic. If Collinsworth can develop a shot he might fit that role.

Either way I think the Mavs are in decent shape in this draft.

If we draft Doncic, Porter then go after WCS if Kings happen to draft Ayton or a center.

If we draft Ayton, Bamba or Jackson then draft Svi Mykyluike (or however you spell it) from Kansas with the 2nd pick who basically fits the McDermott/Hezonja role at a cheap price. If you can't get a guy in this draft like that then go after Hezonja.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#670 » by Darren » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:44 pm

I want a player like Aaron Gordon. He's restricted. I think Orlando can only match.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#671 » by 2011Champs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Darren wrote:I want a player like Aaron Gordon. He's restricted. I think Orlando can only match.

I like Aaron Gordon but I’d be hesitant to pay him the max, and unfortunately on RFA it usually takes a max contract to outbid their current team....and if their current team is unwilling to match then the player isn’t all that anyway. I don’t want to make anymore Chandler Parsons mistakes.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Post#672 » by dirkforpres » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:25 pm

Darren wrote:I want a player like Aaron Gordon. He's restricted. I think Orlando can only match.

I’m not buying the hype with Aaron Gordon. Terrific athlete, but below average shooter from everything I’ve seen. Not worth the mex contract he will get
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mr B
RealGM

Post#673 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:21 pm

If the Mavs are going to target a PF in free agency I would really prefer they go after Randle instead of Gordon.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#674 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:03 pm

Gordon doesn't make sense for what it would take for us to pry him away. I like him, but dont love him, and it would take near Max money to get him out of Orlando. He hasn't proven to be an elite player but he's make progress enough for me to consider him if it wasn't for the RFA status.

Julius Randle is still someone I'm not super high on. If Dallas could get him for 14-million a year, then I'd do that. I don't want to overpay for players who will most likely be role players and not apart of your big-3. We shouldn't be committing to anyone long-term until we have 3 high quality players (DSJ, this year's 1st rounder + someone else). Investing anything more than that might hurt us in the long-run. The same goes for Rodney Hood and Justin Nurkic. Of those, I do like Randle and Hood, not a fan of Nurkic.

Dallas' best strategy would be to sit back, let the other teams spend money and then take advantage of getting players on good/short contracts. No need to overpay early when very few teams have money to spend (over the 8-million MLE). If Dallas can be patient, I think we could get some solid young platers to put around DSJ + this year's 1st rounder.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#675 » by Teffer10 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:21 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:Gordon doesn't make sense for what it would take for us to pry him away. I like him, but dont love him, and it would take near Max money to get him out of Orlando. He hasn't proven to be an elite player but he's make progress enough for me to consider him if it wasn't for the RFA status.

Julius Randle is still someone I'm not super high on. If Dallas could get him for 14-million a year, then I'd do that. I don't want to overpay for players who will most likely be role players and not apart of your big-3. We shouldn't be committing to anyone long-term until we have 3 high quality players (DSJ, this year's 1st rounder + someone else). Investing anything more than that might hurt us in the long-run. The same goes for Rodney Hood and Justin Nurkic. Of those, I do like Randle and Hood, not a fan of Nurkic.

Dallas' best strategy would be to sit back, let the other teams spend money and then take advantage of getting players on good/short contracts. No need to overpay early when very few teams have money to spend (over the 8-million MLE). If Dallas can be patient, I think we could get some solid young platers to put around DSJ + this year's 1st rounder.

That makes pretty good sense.

I think our best bet is to:
1. Draft a potential superstar (Doncic, Ayton, Porter or maybe Bagley)
2. Strictly develop young players over the next 2 seasons.
3. Hopefully draft that 3rd superstar caliber player in 2019
4. Trade Barnes and/or Matthews for picks and young budding stars in 2019.
5. Draft fairly high again in 2020 for a strong role player.
6. Lure decent veteran FAs to fill voids in 2020 off-season.
7. Compete for POs in 2020-2021 season.

I honestly think Cuban and Donnie will try hard to compete too early which imo will put us in that perpetual mediocre position like Portland, Utah and Memphis.
Darren
RealGM

Post#676 » by Darren » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:01 pm

Who're we going to sign for the final roster spot? Any ideas? Are there any deadline of picking up player in free agency?
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#677 » by fuller4379 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:04 pm

Darren wrote:Who're we going to sign for the final roster spot? Any ideas? Are there any deadline of picking up player in free agency?

We will probably do like last year and pan for gold from the G League. Sign players to 10 day contracts and give them a tryout.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#678 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:48 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:Gordon doesn't make sense for what it would take for us to pry him away. I like him, but dont love him, and it would take near Max money to get him out of Orlando. He hasn't proven to be an elite player but he's make progress enough for me to consider him if it wasn't for the RFA status.

I honestly think Cuban and Donnie will try hard to compete too early which imo will put us in that perpetual mediocre position like Portland, Utah and Memphis.

I think you’re being a little optimistic on how many years we will be drafting high in the lottery. I really expect this to be the last year we will be in the top 10 of the lottery. I expect the next two years for the Mavs to be drafting in the lower end of the lottery.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#679 » by Teffer10 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:19 am

Mr B wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

I think you’re being a little optimistic on how many years we will be drafting high in the lottery. I really expect this to be the last year we will be in the top 10 of the lottery. I expect the next two years for the Mavs to be drafting in the lower end of the lottery.

It depends on the strategy of this organization.

If Cuban tries to win with guys like Barnes, Wes, Dirk, JJ and Seth then you are probably right, we'll be drafting in the 10-15 range in 2019 which is the absolute worst thing we can do imo. Yeah, we get better but only Portland/OKC better.
Not a strategy I would embrace.

If Cuban goes all out on a total youth movement next year then I see us with a high pick again 2019 making the following season our year to take a run at the POs. I'm perfectly happy chasing that 8th spot with a roster predominately full of players in their low 20s. Chasing that 8th spot next season with Wes, Dirk and JJ as a big part of our core would be pointless and a sure path to perpetual mediocrity and quite frankly a squandered opportunity to rebuild this thing correctly.
Darren
RealGM

Post#680 » by Darren » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:21 am

Of the PFs available, I put in this way: DeMarcus Cousins > Aaron Gordon > Julius Randle > Jabari Parker. I am of least interest to Parker because he's small and plays reductant role with Barnes. I am interested in all other 3. I don't think Blake Griffin is available at all. I don't think we're too interested in him as he's already at his 30.

Return to Dallas Mavericks