ImageImageImage

Trades & Roster ideas 2018-19

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,824

Re: Trades & Roster ideas 17-18 

Post#721 » by dirkforpres » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:56 pm

arkuo wrote:anyone interested to acquire Andrew Wiggins? Heard he's unhappy with his role in Minnesota. He's only 23 which fits our rebuilding window. Can be a T-Mac kind of thing leaving Toronto and Vince Carter's shadow.

Wouldn’t mind having him, but I don’t think they would just give him up to a West team and he is worth next to nothing.
FIRE JASON KIDD
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,035

Post#722 » by daoneandonly » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:31 pm

If we don't get a Top 5 pick, then one of the only things that will make it a worthwhile offseason for me would be a draft night trade. Under the assumption Orl drafts a big like Ayton, Bamba, or JJJ:

Dallas Gets:
Jonathan Issac
Terrence Ross
Shelvin Mack (immediately cut as only 1 mil guaranteed)

Orl Gets:
Draft rights to Trae Young (or Colin Sexton)
Wes Matthews

Understand probably doubtful, but a guy can hope. We get a guy we coveted last year in the draft who can be our PF of the future and a compliment to DSJ, we get a SG that fits much better than Wes at half the cost, and we get rid of Matthews. Triple win.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#723 » by dirkforpres » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:52 pm

daoneandonly wrote:If we don't get a Top 5 pick, then one of the only things that will make it a worthwhile offseason for me would be a draft night trade. Under the assumption Orl drafts a big like Ayton, Bamba, or JJJ:

Dallas Gets:
Jonathan Issac
Terrence Ross

Orl Gets:
Wes Matthews

Understand probably doubtful, but a guy can hope. We get a guy we coveted last year in the draft who can be our PF of the future and a compliment to DSJ, we get a SG that fits much better than Wes at half the cost, and we get rid of Matthews. Triple win.

I like Isaac but that is definitely an overpay. The pick alone should be more than enough for Isaac (hasn’t looked that great) and Wes will be in the final year of his deal and should actually have good value at the deadline if we keep him around and look to sell to teams hungry for cap space (a loaded free agency class in 2019).... Trading him for Terrence Ross and Shelvin Mack would be awful.
FIRE JASON KIDD
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#724 » by daoneandonly » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:00 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:If we don't get a Top 5 pick, then one of the only things that will make it a worthwhile offseason for me would be a draft night trade. Under the assumption Orl drafts a big like Ayton, Bamba, or JJJ:

Dallas Gets:
Jonathan Issac
Terrence Ross

Orl Gets:
Wes Matthews

I like Isaac but that is definitely an overpay. The pick alone should be more than enough for Isaac (hasn’t looked that great) and Wes will be in the final year of his deal and should actually have good value at the deadline if we keep him around and look to sell to teams hungry for cap space (a loaded free agency class in 2019).... Trading him for Terrence Ross and Shelvin Mack would be awful.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. Ross is a better ball handler and facilitator than Wes, 2 things that are even more important when Carlisle is your coach and Barnes is your SF. He helps much more with ball movement, while not really giving up anything on D or spacing/3-point shooting. We can cut Mack immediately and only have to pay him $1 million, and Ross's 10 million dollar deal is much cheaper than Wes, and can be combined with Barea's expiring deal if we do need the contract to make a bigger move.

With respect to the pick, yes I would not trade it if we have a chance at Ayton, JJ, Bamba, Bagley, or a healthy Porter (big if). But if we're sitting at 6-8, and the BPA are Sexton, Young, or Carter, I'd jump at the chance for Issac as the last thing we need is another PG, and I'd rather have issac than Carter despite the extra year carter would have.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#725 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:40 am

When it comes to trading Wes, obviously it needs to be done. I think we all agree on that. The question is when. I would be perfectly fine with trading Wes (and a drafted Trae Young or Sexton) now if it meant the Mavs were getting Jonathan Isaac and Ross.

Keeping Wes has huge benefits too though. A team like the Blazers will more than likely be trying to figure out a way to get under the luxury tax. They will be repeat offenders I believe and will have a HUGE penalty to pay. It’s why they will likely let Nurkic walk this off season. Wes and JJ’s contracts would be huge trade chips if dealing with them or any other team in the same situation.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#726 » by arkuo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:58 am

Would you guys do a trade based on Harrison Barnes for Hassan Whiteside? Contracts seem pretty equal. Runs the same length too.

Miami might go with Bam Adebayo and Kelly Olynyk moving forward. Barnes is two years younger than Whiteside.

For us though, we'd need scoring from the center position if we want to get out of the lottery next year.

if we can trick Miami into including Justise Winslow then Im all for it.

Winslow doesnt produce as much offensively, but his defense is much coveted.

So maybe Barnes + Barea + 2019 unprotrected first for Whiteside and Winslow.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#727 » by daoneandonly » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:05 pm

arkuo wrote:Would you guys do a trade based on Harrison Barnes for Hassan Whiteside? Contracts seem pretty equal. Runs the same length too.

Miami might go with Bam Adebayo and Kelly Olynyk moving forward. Barnes is two years younger than Whiteside.

For us though, we'd need scoring from the center position if we want to get out of the lottery next year.

No way should we be giving up any unprotected picks at this point, that's just insane. Neither of those guys coming back warrant that. And I'd much rather wait to see how the draft unfolds to see if we can draft our next Center before pulling the trigger on this.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#728 » by dirkforpres » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:29 pm

arkuo wrote:Would you guys do a trade based on Harrison Barnes for Hassan Whiteside? Contracts seem pretty equal. Runs the same length too.

That’s giving them way too much. First of all, Winslow is awful and is nothing more than a throw in at this point and second of all, absolutely no way I throw an unprotected pick in. Mavs should offer Wes, Barea, and a 2nd rounder. Getting them over 20 million dollars in cap space for the unbelievable 2019 free agent class and opening up a starting spot for their center going forward should be reason enough to trade Whiteside
FIRE JASON KIDD
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#729 » by DusterBuster » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:39 am

Blazer fans have been looking at the FA landscape this summer to see who might potentially throw big money at Nurkic this year. There's not a ton of suitors except for the Bulls and Mavs. How likely do you guys think Cuban is to go after Nurkic or do you think the Mavs will stay trying to rebuild with lottery picks and avoid using cap space so soon?
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#730 » by daoneandonly » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:55 am

DusterBuster wrote:Blazer fans have been looking at the FA landscape this summer to see who might potentially throw big money at Nurkic this year. There's not a ton of suitors except for the Bulls and Mavs. How likely do you guys think Cuban is to go after Nurkic or do you think the Mavs will stay trying to rebuild with lottery picks and avoid using cap space so soon?

How would you rate Nurkic's rim protection and shooting? I think a lot of it is base don that and who Dallas drafts, and has at PF going forward
Mr B
RealGM

Post#731 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:30 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:Blazer fans have been looking at the FA landscape this summer to see who might potentially throw big money at Nurkic this year. There's not a ton of suitors except for the Bulls and Mavs. How likely do you guys think Cuban is to go after Nurkic or do you think the Mavs will stay trying to rebuild with lottery picks and avoid using cap space so soon?

How would you rate Nurkic's rim protection and shooting? I think a lot of it is base don that and who Dallas drafts, and has at PF going forward

Here is a recent game he had going against Hassan Whiteside who is known as a good defender and rebounder. Nurkic put up 27/16 and 3 blocks. Showed a good amount of skill around the bucket too.

daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#732 » by daoneandonly » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:15 pm

Mr B wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Here is a recent game he had going against Hassan Whiteside who is known as a good defender and rebounder. Nurkic put up 27/16 and 3 blocks. Showed a good amount of skill around the bucket too.

Very impressive game, but on the year he is only averaging 1.3 blocks per game, but PDX's defense has vastly improved since he got there, so it's hard to get an adequate gauge of his impact on that end.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#733 » by DusterBuster » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:52 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Mr B wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Very impressive game, but on the year he is only averaging 1.3 blocks per game, but PDX's defense has vastly improved since he got there, so it's hard to get an adequate gauge of his impact on that end.

You do realize defense goes beyond a players ability to block shots, right?
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#734 » by daoneandonly » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:54 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Mr B wrote:

of course, which is what i was trying to ask you, how is his defense? What makes him good? What does he need to work on?
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#735 » by JamesConway » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:57 pm

Decent player but I doubt he is high on our list due to lack of fit. At C we are at our best with above-the-rim guys who can catch lobs (see Tyson, BWright, Powell) and at the 4 Carslisle wants guys who can knock down the three on a high volume. Nurkic offers neither of that.

I'd expect us to look elsewhere.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#736 » by DusterBuster » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:04 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

of course, which is what i was trying to ask you, how is his defense? What makes him good? What does he need to work on?

His defense is solid because of his size, speed and agility to pivot and recover. He's a quick jumper so he gets a lot of blocks you wouldn't expect and blocks shots really low on the release because the opponent will have thought he beat Nurk to the shot with a spin move down low, but he's been able to recover position quick enough. He's also just a big body, which helps a lot.

As for what he needs to work on, honestly, it's most only the offensive end, he tends to take a few too finesse shots when he really should be dunking every time, and his teammates let him know about it. Defensively, outside of having some games where he makes some silly fouls and gets in early foul trouble, there's not much more you could ask from him. He's been invaluable to the Blazers defense, as has Ed Davis. What's really made the Blazers a potent defensive team this year has been the trio of Nurk, Davis and Collins. They're athletic, they can rebound and they fast on defense. If one guy gets in early foul trouble, Davis comes in and the Blazers don't lose much of a step on the defensive end or on the boards.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#737 » by skywalker33 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:50 am

So, have seen a couple of Harrison Barnes trade offers recently, was wondering why you want to get rid of Barnes ?? I know his contract is exactly great, but is that the reason ?? Is he a SF or PF ??
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#738 » by agentofatlas » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:33 am

Pass on Nurk (who I like as a player btw).

I think the Mavs have to be careful about throwing cash at big guys particularly at C position which the NBA has a lot of right now.

The free agents they should go after imo are:
Gordon (the only player in free agency I'll max)
Favors
Noel (depends on price)
Len
and maybe Hood or Hezonja
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#739 » by JamesConway » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:52 am

skywalker33 wrote:So, have seen a couple of Harrison Barnes trade offers recently, was wondering why you want to get rid of Barnes ?? I know his contract is exactly great, but is that the reason ?? Is he a SF or PF ??

He's a decent starter, extremely durable and in the ballpark of being worth his contract. Barnes isn't the problem, but also didn't make enough of a leap from year 1 to year 2 in DAL to really get excited. I guess that's why fans are open to moving him.

All in all I don't think he will be gone though, the franchise loves him and he's young enough to stick around, somewhat versatile (plays both the 3 and the 4 for us) and a great presence in the locker room. I get annoyed by him every once in a while but I'd be seriously surprised to see him on the move. Certainly not for these awful packages that are kicked around on the trade board where posters often claim we have to attach value to moving him. I think that's a) a wrong assessment and b) even if it were right the Mavs would just keep him around.

He's probably the best external FA we ever signed. We also got tons of caproom and need talent pretty much everywhere. We're not looking to dump him.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#740 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:17 pm

skywalker33 wrote:So, have seen a couple of Harrison Barnes trade offers recently, was wondering why you want to get rid of Barnes ?? I know his contract is exactly great, but is that the reason ?? Is he a SF or PF ??

Barnes isn’t on the block. The Mavs view him as a cornerstone player for them.

Return to Dallas Mavericks