Trades & Roster ideas 2018-19

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Re: Trades & Roster ideas 17-18 

Post#781 » by Darren » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Dallas Mavericks trades: Wes Matthews, Dwight Powell, Mavs 2018 lottery first
Toronto Raptors trades: Serge Ibaka, Norman Powell, OG Anunoby, Jakob Poelti, 34 pick

The Mavs split the first into multiple proven young pieces. Meanwhile, Toronto goes all in for a high-ended talent.

C - Serge Ibaka / Jakob Peolti / Maxi Kleber
PF - Dirk Nowitzki / Dorian-Finney Smith
SF - Harrison Barnes / Doug McDermott
SG - OG Anunoby / Norman Powell
PG - Dennis Smith / Yogi Ferrell / Jose Barea

with 33rd and 34th pick. We may possibly draft a PF/C and SG/PG. Sign one energy guy who may potentially defend 1-4 to compete with DFS. Then, match McDermott and Yogi's offer. This is a pretty damn good team. As long as it's not the top pick, I am open to this scenario. Ibaka can slide to 4 when Peolti is ready.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#782 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:21 pm

Darren wrote:Dallas Mavericks trades: Wes Matthews, Dwight Powell, Mavs 2018 lottery first
Toronto Raptors trades: Serge Ibaka, Norman Powell, OG Anunoby, Jakob Poelti, 34 pick

The Mavs split the first into multiple proven young pieces. Meanwhile, Toronto goes all in for a high-ended talent.

with 33rd and 34th pick. We may possibly draft a PF/C and SG/PG. Sign one energy guy who may potentially defend 1-4 to compete with DFS. Then, match McDermott and Yogi's offer. This is a pretty damn good team. As long as it's not the top pick, I am open to this scenario. Ibaka can slide to 4 when Peolti is ready.

No thanks, not giving up that pick.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#783 » by dirkforpres » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:47 pm

Darren wrote:Dallas Mavericks trades: Wes Matthews, Dwight Powell, Mavs 2018 lottery first

Even if they threw in Derozan, I would say no to that trade. Good God.
FIRE JASON KIDD
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,031

Post#784 » by daoneandonly » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:02 am

Come on Darren now, that's awful. Ibaka is a shell of his former self, and he never even was a superstar, just putrid.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#785 » by Roddy B for 3 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:21 pm

If the first is lotto protected, I do the trade.

*EDIT* I didn't realize what year it was. 2018 is this year. It is no longer 2017. That is this year's pick.

Heck no I don't do that trade.

I would trade 2019 lotto protected 1st for that deal tho.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Darren
RealGM

Post#786 » by Darren » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:25 pm

John Konchar sounds interesting stats-wise and skill-wise. Why ain't him be signed by the Mavs then? He's a lot better than Brussino.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/John-Konchar/Summary/81496

He's only 22. 6-5 SG who can shoot, defense and distribute the ball.
Darren
RealGM

Post#787 » by Darren » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:34 am

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2018/04/11/5-takeaways-from-dallas-mavericks-exit-interviews/

I don't expect it but Dennis has passed the eye test from virtually everyone from the organization. He's not bullied in the post like his preseason games. He can even guard LBJ now. His lateral quickness is not the greatest. He can stay in front of his man one-on-one by the end of the season. Even if he gets picked away completely at times, I think I have to praise for his hardwork defensively. It is easier to get picked away with board shoulder and strong body frame. I think it takes a team on this problem. Even with a short wingspan, he guards bigger player than his size. To me, he's even more effective as a combo guard instead of a PG. His rebounding is a pleasant surpise.

I think Dirk and Powell makes significant improvement as well. Dirk's more efficient as a three point shooter and defender in post. Even in a lose season, he keeps the composure. And he leads the bench players to be the most effective lineup with Powell, McDermott, Barea and Yogi. That's unbelievable.

Powell, meanwhile, just takes his game to the next level. To me, he's made a big jump from a 3-stringer to a rotation player. 60% from the field and 34 from the arc are not easy for Powell. Both are his career high. Compared to early regular season, he's made better decision defensively. He's now holding his position strong. That's a big jump from him. When he's got the defensive works done well, his offensive games also picked up. I like what I see from his intelligence he demonstrated as well. His passing from high posts are on targets and decisive. If he shoots 39-45 percentage from long range, I doubt we're in need to search for young PF at all.

It seems to me that McDermott wants to be back. As for Yogi and Mejri, it's not so much. They want more money elsewhere. I can understand and hopefully bring back Yogi to contract not more than Barea. Curry is gone for sure. He hasn't even participate in the exit interviews. Among the groups, I want Barnes and Finney-Smith to take the game to different level next offseason. Or else, combine their strengthes into one player.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#788 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:15 pm

Whiteside — in theory, he’s great but there is a reason he gets benched. Do you ever hear about the true stars not playing? No. Whiteside is a SUPER lazy player. He puts 80% effort in and his Basketball IQ is average at best. I would take a flyer on him for cheap but not giving anything of substance.

Randle — Pass. It’s too hard to find the right guy to go next to him (though JJJ from the draft fits).

Gordon — I would throw a decent amount of money to him. I think he still has huge potential and would flourish in Ricks system // around a better environment than Orlando had.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Darren
RealGM

Post#789 » by Darren » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:38 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:Whiteside — in theory, he’s great but there is a reason he gets benched. Do you ever hear about the true stars not playing? No. Whiteside is a SUPER lazy player. He puts 80% effort in and his Basketball IQ is average at best. I would take a flyer on him for cheap but not giving anything of substance.

Randle — Pass. It’s too hard to find the right guy to go next to him (though JJJ from the draft fits).

Gordon — I would throw a decent amount of money to him. I think he still has huge potential and would flourish in Ricks system // around a better environment than Orlando had.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I agree with most of them. But I would take a longer look at Gordon. He hasn't improved much rebounding-wise. With his size and athleticism, he should have register double-double. However, his shooting has improved enough to convince me he's a hardworker. I think he's yet to reach full potential on both ends. He needs to make smarter decision on both ends. So that he can get more blocks, steals, rebounds and higher percentage. And then, we can work on his playmaking. He creates a favorable mismatch with his footspeed. As long as he's the right handle and passing instincts, he can be one of the scoring option. Potentially, he's the type of guy that can succeed more than Brandon Wright in the past. I expect him to hit 70% from the field and averages double-digit rebound if we get his service at all. His energy level is inconsistent and he's consistently weak in positioning. I would like to explore more about his basketball IQ and intangible first.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst

Post#790 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:26 am

Mejri (1-3Million)
Powell (9Million)
McDermott (4.5 Million)
Curry (3Million)
Ferrell (5.5 Million)

Would be a very good, cost effective bench.

*I forgot DFS. An excellent piece for a young bench.
7/1/2019
Mr B
RealGM

Post#791 » by Mr B » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:48 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:Mejri (1-3Million)
Powell (9Million)
McDermott (4.5 Million)
Curry (3Million)
Ferrell (5.5 Million)

Would be a very good, cost effective bench.

All very tradeable contracts too.
Darren
RealGM

Post#792 » by Darren » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:29 am

I think there're chances that Pelicians let Cousins go. Mirotic has filled his role in a spectacular manner. Given his season-ending injury, Pelicians might decide to let him go afterall unless AD says he won't re-sign without Cousins. I wonder if he can clear the cap rooms of Wes to commodate them. I wonder if Wes agrees to opt out and re-sign for much less for a chance to sign Cousins.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#793 » by Mr B » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Personally I still want no part of Cousins. Draft Bagley or Doncic and look to sign a young (and healthy) big at a reasonable contact (not max). If one can’t be signed at a reasonable price then resign Salah to a vet min deal and save the cap room for the trade deadline or next off season.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#794 » by daoneandonly » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:27 pm

Mr B wrote:Personally I still want no part of Cousins. Draft Bagley or Doncic and look to sign a young (and healthy) big at a reasonable contact (not max). If one can’t be signed at a reasonable price then resign Salah to a vet min deal and save the cap room for the trade deadline or next off season.

Agree on Cousins, I would hope we learned our lesson with Matthews about giving a guy a max level contract right after an Achilles injury, not a wise decision at all
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#795 » by daoneandonly » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:29 pm

For those who want Whiteside, let's see how he doe sin this opening round. His body language and motor were dreadful in game 1, he was sulking and not even trying the limited minutes he played. I don't think this is a guy you'd want around DSJ or even be conducive to winning basketball
Roddy B for 3
Analyst

Post#796 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:41 pm

I just would like to take a minute to appreciate Kwahii for sinking the Spurs ship.

I know he will never come here. I just am glad our division rival is going to hit the cellar.
7/1/2019
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#797 » by daoneandonly » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:26 pm

If we just need a stop gap center, I think a trade of Matthews for Robin Lopez would make a lot of sense for the Mavs. he can do the dirty work and D up inside, especially if we draft Bagley or Porter to be the PF. I guess it only makes sense if Chicago drafts someone like Bamba, JJJ, or Carter Jr. if they take Bridges or even Young/Sexton, they may not have a need for another guard in Wes.
Junpei
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#798 » by Junpei » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:46 pm

we trading our top 3 pick for bunch of craps, god, i am wondering how much weeds u've smoked before posting this..
Darren
RealGM

Post#799 » by Darren » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:01 am

Who's the Indiana's player development coach? They play smart and confident. They've nearly knocked Lebron out of playoff.
Darren
RealGM

Post#800 » by Darren » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:21 am

Jimmy Butler for Barnes, anyone? I know Butler is 3-year older. But he's more impactful player as of now. With him on the roster, the Mavs could have been a FA attraction spot. Meanwhile, Minny has a roster around Wiggins and Towns. Barnes's age might suit them a little better. Perhaps we need part with a little more. As long as it's not lottery first, I am okay.

Return to Dallas Mavericks