Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Re: Trades & Roster ideas 17-18 

Post#881 » by Torgeir Bryn » Tue May 8, 2018 10:53 pm

arkuo wrote:
Torgeir Bryn wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Thats my point. Of course if we just go about the "i want list" then it starts of with Lebron, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, maybe even Draymond Green. But will any of those guys be available for Wesley Matthews and a first? How about if Donnie washes their car for a month on top of that? Yup, didnt think so. The point is, none of the guys we want will be available for the guys we want to shed. Im not arguing whether we need to get young talent because of course we do. But in my humble opinion those are on a different timeline versus what Cuban needs right now. And i think management is giving up a lot of dollars by missing the playoffs right. Im not saying its the right thing to do. But it may be our only choice. We're not a big market team that can offset costs though merchandise sales like the lakers. It's a business fellas.

Do we have any indications that the Mavericks are bleeding money? It's a big market team with increasing revenue and is coming off a season where they had a very moderate salary. Dallas made a profit last year at least.https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/19/16334596/nba-teams-losing-money-revenue-profits-why-matters
Until that is the message from the team, I don't see why we should assume so and why we should think they are sacrificing potensial for short term gains. And it is not like chasing the 8. seed has brought so much financial reward to teams like Detroit or Charlotte. What will earn you financial success is success on the floor, which is why the Thunder has made money even though they are one of the smallest markeds. And the reason the Warriors are making boatloads of money.

A major reason for why you try to get young talent is to have the assets to make those kind of trades. You are damn right Matthews is not going to cut it. That's why you want to have a treasure chest, so that you are able to pull of deals like what the Wolves did for Butler. And if your young players develop and you improve, the team looks a lot more tempting to free agents. The 76ers will have plenty of cap space this summer and could certainly land a big fish. That would be a lot harder with $50 mill of Whiteside and DeRozan on the books.

Agreed. Although hypothetically, how do you propose we acquire young talent in the coming seasons? With a healthy roster and Carlisle it will be hard for the mavs to finish bottom 7. and with the new draft rules in place, you cant get talent like how Philly did with Embiid and Simmons. Going by that strategy we have to trade everyone except DSJ, fire Rick to finish dead last. Because at this point teams like Boston wont be giving you guys like Tatum or Brown for free. The only way is to tank which would also be difficult with the talent that we have. so again hypothetically we are looking at 8th to 12th place in the West. Which begs the question, is it worth "tanking" only to finish bottom 7 every year? And that's assuming DSJ shares the same vision.

To cut the story short, I mean, what was your plan? Tank every season? Or wait for guys like Donovan Mitchell to hit the FA market and offer him a max? Because judging from where we are right now, those will be the scenarios you are proposing. Again, correct me if im wrong.

We have already bottomed out, don't do anything to get worse. See if you can get a RFA on a decent contract, can we rehabilitate a former top pick like Len, take some flyers on those kind of young guys who have shown flashes. I think we will better next season, if nothing else due to better luck in close games, but it's unlikely that we are a playoff team. That means we will probably pick in the lottery again next year. I am not opposed to use our cap space, but if so it should be on a younger player who fits the timeline or maybe take back a bad contract for picks/talent.

If Mitchell is a max guy then he is going to stay with the Jazz. They can offer him 5 years or match any offer he gets, so he will be under team control for a long time.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#882 » by Teffer10 » Wed May 9, 2018 12:39 am

arkuo wrote:
Torgeir Bryn wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Thats my point. Of course if we just go about the "i want list" then it starts of with Lebron, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, maybe even Draymond Green. But will any of those guys be available for Wesley Matthews and a first? How about if Donnie washes their car for a month on top of that? Yup, didnt think so. The point is, none of the guys we want will be available for the guys we want to shed. Im not arguing whether we need to get young talent because of course we do. But in my humble opinion those are on a different timeline versus what Cuban needs right now. And i think management is giving up a lot of dollars by missing the playoffs right. Im not saying its the right thing to do. But it may be our only choice. We're not a big market team that can offset costs though merchandise sales like the lakers. It's a business fellas.

Do we have any indications that the Mavericks are bleeding money? It's a big market team with increasing revenue and is coming off a season where they had a very moderate salary. Dallas made a profit last year at least.https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/19/16334596/nba-teams-losing-money-revenue-profits-why-matters
Until that is the message from the team, I don't see why we should assume so and why we should think they are sacrificing potensial for short term gains. And it is not like chasing the 8. seed has brought so much financial reward to teams like Detroit or Charlotte. What will earn you financial success is success on the floor, which is why the Thunder has made money even though they are one of the smallest markeds. And the reason the Warriors are making boatloads of money.

A major reason for why you try to get young talent is to have the assets to make those kind of trades. You are damn right Matthews is not going to cut it. That's why you want to have a treasure chest, so that you are able to pull of deals like what the Wolves did for Butler. And if your young players develop and you improve, the team looks a lot more tempting to free agents. The 76ers will have plenty of cap space this summer and could certainly land a big fish. That would be a lot harder with $50 mill of Whiteside and DeRozan on the books.

Agreed. Although hypothetically, how do you propose we acquire young talent in the coming seasons? With a healthy roster and Carlisle it will be hard for the mavs to finish bottom 7. and with the new draft rules in place, you cant get talent like how Philly did with Embiid and Simmons. Going by that strategy we have to trade everyone except DSJ, fire Rick to finish dead last. Because at this point teams like Boston wont be giving you guys like Tatum or Brown for free. The only way is to tank which would also be difficult with the talent that we have. so again hypothetically we are looking at 8th to 12th place in the West. Which begs the question, is it worth "tanking" only to finish bottom 7 every year? And that's assuming DSJ shares the same vision.

To cut the story short, I mean, what was your plan? Tank every season? Or wait for guys like Donovan Mitchell to hit the FA market and offer him a max? Because judging from where we are right now, those will be the scenarios you are proposing. Again, correct me if im wrong.

Part of building a championship caliber team is building chemistry among players and coaches. It is difficult to build chemistry without a solid core that has been together for a few years. That has been an evident issue with this team for the past 7 years and one reason I want a new strategy of building a core primarily through the draft and then acquire role and bench players via trades and FA.

It wouldn't be wise to build chemistry with a bunch of 29yos mixed with 19yos as a core. I'm fine with a few vets like Dirk, JJ and even Devin because they are good mentors and should have limited roles going forward but if you want to acquire future stars the best way to do that is through the draft at this point. No GM in their right mind will give up a young star and Barnes, DSJ and Jackson or Bagley won't be too enticing to FAs for several years, if at all.

If you can be patient one more season we should be able to complete our core if we don't miss in this draft. Then our core could be set and we can start moving forward. I'm not for tanking but I am for developing youth. If they start winning prematurely so be it and we'll be one year closer.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#883 » by Teffer10 » Wed May 9, 2018 12:49 am

Torgeir Bryn wrote:
See if you can get a RFA on a decent contract, can we rehabilitate a former top pick like Len, take some flyers on those kind of young guys who have shown flashes.

Rodney Hood might be a RFA to go after this off-season. He might be someone we could take a chance on at a nice price and fits our age group as well as fill a need.
zonedefense
Analyst
And1: 3,941

Post#884 » by zonedefense » Wed May 9, 2018 1:38 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Torgeir Bryn wrote:
See if you can get a RFA on a decent contract, can we rehabilitate a former top pick like Len, take some flyers on those kind of young guys who have shown flashes.

Rodney Hood might be a RFA to go after this off-season. He might be someone we could take a chance on at a nice price and fits our age group as well as fill a need.

Locker room cancer...he refused to enter the game last night.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#885 » by arkuo » Wed May 9, 2018 6:30 am

Teffer10 wrote:If you can be patient one more season we should be able to complete our core if we don't miss in this draft. Then our core could be set and we can start moving forward. I'm not for tanking but I am for developing youth. If they start winning prematurely so be it and we'll be one year closer.

If Wesley stays in a mavs uniform this year I can see us making a play for Detroit's Stanley Johnson next year. Detroit cant affordto keep him unless they plan to go way over the cap. The guy is built like a young Ron Artest. Would probably cost as much as Wes though.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#886 » by Darren » Thu May 10, 2018 12:49 am

If Clippers makes of their lottery picks available (for cutting salary of Gallinari and Marijanovic), I expect the Mavs to be interested. Gallinari can start at 4 and Boban can backup 5. 11/12th pick is good enough to net us a rotation player on good contract.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#887 » by arkuo » Fri May 11, 2018 5:58 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249839/Klay-Thompson-In-Extension-Talks-With-Warriors

Here it is, gentlemen. Someone who Cuban could be saving all this money for.

GSW cant afford to keep that group together with all of them earning max contracts. Curry and KD both have shoe deals that get them even more revenue off court. Klay and Draymond will be the ones left out and will have to take massive paycuts. Now Klay has openly said he loves the city and would be difficult to envision him playing elsewhere. By staying with GSW he needs to take a massive $40M paycut. Now only time can tell if he loves the bay area that much.

It's no secret that Barnes keeps the communication going between him, Klay and Draymond. They hang out a lot during the summer even when HB signed with us. So there's a huge possibility that outside of GSW, Klay would consider joining HB. My honest take is he takes the money as he has the rings anyway. He can develop into a number 1 option with Barnes here. He played better when Curry was out IMO. Everyone saw that.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#888 » by Mr B » Sat May 12, 2018 12:10 am

Personally I would love Klay on this team however it’s all going to depend on who they draft. If they draft Bamba then Klay would be a perfect fit. If the Mavs draft a guy that’s weak defensively like Porter though Klay would be a horrible fit. If Porter is the guy I think someone like Marcus Smart would be a better fit.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#889 » by bran muffin » Sat May 12, 2018 12:47 am

What is it with Mavs fans' infatuation with players discarded by the Warriors. Brandan Wright, Monta Ellis, David Lee, Andrew Bogut, Harrison Barnes, Seth Curry... and now we're talking Klay Thompson?
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#890 » by dirkforpres » Sat May 12, 2018 1:26 am

bran muffin wrote:What is it with Mavs fans' infatuation with players discarded by the Warriors. Brandan Wright, Monta Ellis, David Lee, Andrew Bogut, Harrison Barnes, Seth Curry... and now we're talking Klay Thompson?

Curry wasn’t on the Warriors but I get your point lol. But I don’t really think you need to ask that question. Everybody wants a team like the Warriors
FIRE JASON KIDD
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#891 » by fuller4379 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:31 am

bran muffin wrote:What is it with Mavs fans' infatuation with players discarded by the Warriors. Brandan Wright, Monta Ellis, David Lee, Andrew Bogut, Harrison Barnes, Seth Curry... and now we're talking Klay Thompson?

Well, the Suns are sucking too much to continue the Mavs/Suns exchange program.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#892 » by arkuo » Sat May 12, 2018 1:36 am

You forgot Ericka Dampier.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#893 » by Mr B » Sat May 12, 2018 1:39 am

arkuo wrote:

Didn’t Danny Fortson do a short stint in Dallas too?
Darren
RealGM

Post#894 » by Darren » Sat May 12, 2018 2:17 am

Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Van Exel is missing as well. By the way, Seth Curry has never played for GSW.
Darren
RealGM

Post#895 » by Darren » Sat May 12, 2018 3:13 am

NYK plans to sit Porzingis next season. It seems to me that they want to force a less than max contract he'd command. Are we interested in trading for him or maxing him out after a season sitting?
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#896 » by dirkforpres » Sat May 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Darren wrote:NYK plans to sit Porzingis next season. It seems to me that they want to force a less than max contract he'd command. Are we interested in trading for him or maxing him out after a season sitting?

The problem is that Dallas cant afford for him to sit for a year since they want to make the playoffs next year... and it would cost us at least the 2018 pick to trade for him. Maxing him out is our best chance next year to get him but New York would be crazy not to do the same. Don’t get your hopes up.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#897 » by Captain_Obvious » Sat May 12, 2018 2:38 pm

arkuo wrote:

And Kelenna Azubuike for 3 games before his knee injury ended his career
Mr B
RealGM

Post#898 » by Mr B » Sat May 12, 2018 3:11 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Darren wrote:NYK plans to sit Porzingis next season. It seems to me that they want to force a less than max contract he'd command. Are we interested in trading for him or maxing him out after a season sitting?

The problem is that Dallas cant afford for him to sit for a year since they want to make the playoffs next year... and it would cost us at least the 2018 pick to trade for him. Maxing him out is our best chance next year to get him but New York would be crazy not to do the same. Don’t get your hopes up.

He would have to want to leave the Knicks. I don’t really see that happening. That team was building some good chemistry before Porzingis got hurt. If he continues to build chemistry this year with Ntilikina I think the Knicks will make him a max offer and he’ll take it.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#899 » by Mr B » Sat May 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Darren wrote:
Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:

He played in 6 pre season game for Golden State in 2013-14 season. He was cut before the start of the season though.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#900 » by Teffer10 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:29 pm

Darren wrote:
Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:

I thought we traded NVE to GSW for Jamison.

Return to Dallas Mavericks