Trades & Roster ideas 2018-19

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: Trades & Roster ideas 17-18 

Post#901 » by arkuo » Sat May 12, 2018 8:29 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Darren wrote:NYK plans to sit Porzingis next season. It seems to me that they want to force a less than max contract he'd command. Are we interested in trading for him or maxing him out after a season sitting?

The problem is that Dallas cant afford for him to sit for a year since they want to make the playoffs next year... and it would cost us at least the 2018 pick to trade for him. Maxing him out is our best chance next year to get him but New York would be crazy not to do the same. Don’t get your hopes up.

Best case scenario is for Kristaps to sign the qualifying offer to become a UFA the following season, thereby allowing him to sign with any team of his choosing. I doubt NYK would allow that to happen. In which case they explore trades even before Kristaps hits UFA.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#902 » by Mr B » Mon May 14, 2018 5:31 am

What about Jahlil Okafor? If the Mavs could sign him to a low “prove it” type contract would you take a flyer on him? Maybe a 2 year contract with a team option on the second year.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#903 » by fuller4379 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:53 pm

fuller4379
Assistant Coach

Post#904 » by fuller4379 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Mr B
RealGM

Post#905 » by Mr B » Mon May 14, 2018 6:31 pm

Soooo that’s a no?
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#906 » by dirkforpres » Mon May 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Mr B wrote:What about Jahlil Okafor? If the Mavs could sign him to a low “prove it” type contract would you take a flyer on him? Maybe a 2 year contract with a team option on the second year.

He’s not worth any more than the minimum. Couldn’t even get PT on the Sixers (before they were good) or the Nets (who had nothing to lose).

Carlisle would chew him and spit him out.
FIRE JASON KIDD
fuller4379
Assistant Coach

Post#907 » by fuller4379 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:25 pm

Mr B wrote:Soooo that’s a no?

You can usually coach up defense, but Jahlil Okafor looks clueless on defense.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#908 » by Teffer10 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:18 am

With so many bigs in this draft I'm just wondering which one has the greatest chance to be the next Okafor/Brown/Kandi/Darko/Thabeet.

I just don't see any way Rick could develop Okafor into anything. I'd rather just re-sign Noel.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#909 » by Mr B » Tue May 15, 2018 12:47 am

The Carlisle factor is a great reason to not make any attempt at signing Okafor. A young big who is a former lottery pick coming off his rookie contract is enticing, even if it’s just for a tryout for 1 year at vet min level money.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#910 » by Teffer10 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:50 am

Mr B wrote:The Carlisle factor is a great reason to not make any attempt at signing Okafor. A young big who is a former lottery pick coming off his rookie contract is enticing, even if it’s just for a tryout for 1 year at vet min level money.

Yeah it takes a certain type of big to flourish under Carlisle....guys like Ben Wallace, Dale Davis, Antonio Davis and Tyson.
I don't see Okafor as that type of player.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#911 » by arkuo » Tue May 15, 2018 12:15 pm

Carlisle will play a major role in our roster acquisitions moving forward. What we know is he is here to stay for as long as he wants. That being said, I think we are more inclined to get players that fit his style more.

I personally view Barnes as our Josh Howard. That being said, I do think he is expendable (not just for a superstar) but also for a collection of players that can round out our roster. The very same way we traded Josh Howard to Washington for Caron, Brendan and Deshawn. There is no guarantee that he needs to be here for the duration of DSJ's development as long as a good deal comes along. I also believe we wont be the ones to hand him his next max contract when it comes up in 2-3 years.

That being said, I do think a possible deal with Milwaukee can be achieved. One, MIlwaukee will be pressured to build a stronger team before GIannis hits the FA market. As a GM, you dont want that guy walking away for nothing. I do think it's possible we send them Harrison Barnes and Barea for MIddleton + Brogdon + a filler like John Henson.

Bledsoe + Giannis + Barnes will be a nice core for them competing in the east. Brogdon fills a hole for us at SG while Middleton takes HB's spot at the 3. I fully expect us to draft a big man next month. Henson can play backup C the same way we had Haywood play backup to Tyson in 2011.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Post#912 » by daoneandonly » Tue May 15, 2018 12:20 pm

arkuo wrote:Carlisle will play a major role in our roster acquisitions moving forward. What we know is he is here to stay for as long as he wants. That being said, I think we are more inclined to get players that fit his style more.

I personally view Barnes as our Josh Howard. That being said, I do think he is expendable (not just for a superstar) but also for a collection of players that can round out our roster. The very same way we traded Josh Howard to Washington for Caron, Brendan and Deshawn. There is no guarantee that he needs to be here for the duration of DSJ's development as long as a good deal comes along. I also believe we wont be the ones to hand him his next max contract when it comes up in 2-3 years.

That being said, I do think a possible deal with Milwaukee can be achieved. One, MIlwaukee will be pressured to build a stronger team before GIannis hits the FA market. As a GM, you dont want that guy walking away for nothing. I do think it's possible we send them Harrison Barnes and Barea for MIddleton + Brogdon + a filler like John Henson.

Bledsoe + Giannis + Barnes will be a nice core for them competing in the east. Brogdon fills a hole for us at SG while Middleton takes HB's spot at the 3. I fully expect us to draft a big man next month. Henson can play backup C the same way we had Haywood play backup to Tyson in 2011.

Middleton is better than HB, and Brogden has a lot more promise than JJ at this stage, so i don't see the Bucks doing this.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#913 » by arkuo » Tue May 15, 2018 12:29 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Mr B wrote:The Carlisle factor is a great reason to not make any attempt at signing Okafor. A young big who is a former lottery pick coming off his rookie contract is enticing, even if it’s just for a tryout for 1 year at vet min level money.

Yeah it takes a certain type of big to flourish under Carlisle....guys like Ben Wallace, Dale Davis, Antonio Davis and Tyson.

Not for anything but this is the reason why Im afraid we will offer someone like Clint Capela a contract he cant refuse. Not only is he a Carlisle type of guy, but I do think Cuban has the opportunity to piss off a division/conference rival by not being able to match. They can actually, but it would lock them down for years. And with how GSW is poised to spank them out of the playoffs, Daryl Morey is smart enough not to match anything that would lock them up.

23 year old kid. Very trainable and his development isnt done yet. I do think we offer him a max more than we do for the likes of Gordon or Randle. Just my gut feel.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#914 » by arkuo » Tue May 15, 2018 12:32 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
arkuo wrote:Carlisle will play a major role in our roster acquisitions moving forward. What we know is he is here to stay for as long as he wants. That being said, I think we are more inclined to get players that fit his style more.

Middleton is better than HB, and Brogden has a lot more promise than JJ at this stage, so i don't see the Bucks doing this.

I understand the concern. But with Milwaukee getting their butts handed to them by a Boston team who's starters were out, I do think they only need to look as far back as Indy losing Paul George because if they come in with the same roster, Giannis will be walking away in 2 years time. Point is, they need bigger names on board, other than Bledsoe, but they dont have cap flexibility to get the bigger names in FA nor do they have the high draft picks.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#915 » by Mr B » Tue May 15, 2018 1:31 pm

arkuo wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

Not for anything but this is the reason why Im afraid we will offer someone like Clint Capela a contract he cant refuse. Not only is he a Carlisle type of guy, but I do think Cuban has the opportunity to piss off a division/conference rival by not being able to match. They can actually, but it would lock them down for years. And with how GSW is poised to spank them out of the playoffs, Daryl Morey is smart enough not to match anything that would lock them up.

23 year old kid. Very trainable and his development isnt done yet. I do think we offer him a max more than we do for the likes of Gordon or Randle. Just my gut feel.

So let’s say the Mavs draft Porter, Capela would be a perfect fit next to him. I think they would need to find more of a defensive minded SF though.

Carlisle’s influence though is why I think Bamba will be the guy if the Mavs end up with anything but the #1 overall pick.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#916 » by arkuo » Tue May 15, 2018 1:35 pm

Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Yeah it takes a certain type of big to flourish under Carlisle....guys like Ben Wallace, Dale Davis, Antonio Davis and Tyson.

So let’s say the Mavs draft Porter, Capela would be a perfect fit next to him. I think they would need to find more of a defensive minded SF though.

Carlisle’s influence though is why I think Bamba will be the guy if the Mavs end up with anything but the #1 overall pick.

My gut tells me we draft Bagley at number 3 and sign Capela to the max or near max.

C- Capela
PF- Bagley
SF- Barnes
SG- Matthews
PG- Smith Jr

The thing with Carlisle's position-less basketball, as he coins it, Bagley can play the 3 on offense with HB at 4. And a complete switch on Defense when Bagley defends the opposing 4 where HB has a hard time guarding opposing 4s. Bagley's foot speed and handles allow him to play 3 on our offense while we have HB working on isolation plays.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#917 » by Mr B » Tue May 15, 2018 4:28 pm

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:

My gut tells me we draft Bagley at number 3 and sign Capela to the max or near max.

C- Capela
PF- Bagley
SF- Barnes
SG- Matthews
PG- Smith Jr

The thing with Carlisle's position-less basketball, as he coins it, Bagley can play the 3 on offense with HB at 4. And a complete switch on Defense when Bagley defends the opposing 4 where HB has a hard time guarding opposing 4s. Bagley's foot speed and handles allow him to play 3 on our offense while we have HB working on isolation plays.

I wouldn’t be upset with that lineup at all. They will need a true shooter/scorer at the 2 or 3 within the next year or two though.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#918 » by arkuo » Tue May 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Mr B wrote:
I wouldn’t be upset with that lineup at all. They will need a true shooter/scorer at the 2 or 3 within the next year or two though.

I'd take a flyer on someone like Hezonja for the full MLE or something. Lights out shooter. Unproven in Orlando but under Carlisle maybe he'll flourish on set plays.

Our only real competitor on maxing out Capela is PHX. Although the most they can offer now is just $18M, they have to renounce like 7 players to get room for a max for Capela. But that brings their roster count down to 8 players.

Im warming up to the idea of Capela. Even if we dont get him the least we can do is make Houston go way over the cap if they want to keep CP3. Sure they wont close shop, but it makes a little bit harder paying that lux tax to end up 2nd place to the Warriors for the next 5 years with CP3, Harden and Capela all locked up to the max if ever.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#919 » by dirkforpres » Tue May 15, 2018 7:05 pm

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I'd take a flyer on someone like Hezonja for the full MLE or something. Lights out shooter. Unproven in Orlando but under Carlisle maybe he'll flourish on set plays.

Our only real competitor on maxing out Capela is PHX. Although the most they can offer now is just $18M, they have to renounce like 7 players to get room for a max for Capela. But that brings their roster count down to 8 players.

Im warming up to the idea of Capela. Even if we dont get him the least we can do is make Houston go way over the cap if they want to keep CP3. Sure they wont close shop, but it makes a little bit harder paying that lux tax to end up 2nd place to the Warriors for the next 5 years with CP3, Harden and Capela all locked up to the max if ever.

I don’t like the approach of maxing Capela just to screw the Rockets. They would be fools not to match and then we are stuck without a solid big man for yet another year. I think we need to either draft a center (Ayton or Bamba), trade for one using Wes (Whiteside), or sign an UFA (Cousins or Deandre).

Capela should only be considered if the Rockets made it known they would not match.
FIRE JASON KIDD
payne
Junior
And1: 9

Post#920 » by payne » Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm

What you guys think about HB + scrubs for Andrew Wiggins (value at all time low i think.)
The Cavs are a sad eastern conference wannabe MAVS

Return to Dallas Mavericks