ImageImageImage

Mavs 2018 Draft discussion

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

zaman314125
Pro Prospect
And1: 24

Re: Mavs 2018 Draft discussion 

Post#221 » by zaman314125 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:11 am

Jaren Jackson Jr's latest game. Man this guy has some oozing potential. 6'10" with a 7'4" wingspan. Nice jumper and play defense. He's also younger than Bagley, Bamba, and Ayton.

[url][/url]
Phiology
Freshman
And1: 42

Post#222 » by Phiology » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:50 pm

i hope the mavs select either

doncic
jackson
ayton
or bagley

in that order.

I truly think doncic is the most skilled out of all these players and does not depend on athleticism at all, which is both good and bad (because he does not have any), but he looks swell.

jackson is super young and big, can shoot, looks athletically gifted. Still young, hard to predict whats coming up next.

Ayton is a freak. He looks like he might destroy the league by sher power alone, can also hit the midrange and 3pt. Questions about motor always concern me.

Bagley seems to have high motor, can finish, but I am still in doubt about whether he is gonna be really good or is gonna bust.

---

who i would not take:

porter - already back injury, too risky for potential top 5 pick
bamba - will definetely contribute on defensive side of floor rather sooner than later, but I think compared to other players available I think he lacks the potential on offense
young - might be one of the best players in the draft, but we already hae DSJ, so no thanks
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#223 » by Mr B » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:30 am

Darren wrote:I think we would draft Aryon. Just look at his body shape. You know he'll be special. That's a body shape comparable to David Robinson in his prime. If he's at least average work ethics and intelligence, he'll succeed. But I don't like what I see from highlights. He seems to have issues with smart. He tends to stick to perimeter guys instead of archoring the paint. And his statistics show that he has not improved much since rookie seasons. There's a gap between hype and reality. Surely, he'd be better than Greg Oden and perhaps Kandiman. Even if he fails, he could still play at Dalembert's level. That's not too bad as a two-wayed player.

I have no idea who we should go for. I think Doncic and Bamba is safe pick with ceiling of Evan Fournier and DeAndre Jordan. The former might be able to contribute right away. But his athleticism will limit him on next level. Intelligence, work ethics and shooting are great. So, that's a pretty safe pick. He's another Evan Fournier with better basketball smart and work ethics. He deserves second pick considerations for sure. The most troublesome issue is whether or not he can defend normal two from this league. Fournier doesn't do well in this regards. He's similar athleticism.

As for Bamba, his role is more simple. I expect him to grow with his body frame. If we pick him, I expect us to trade down and rid ourselves of some bad money. But he's less ready than Doncic. He's pretty skinny. It takes time for him to develop. I don't expect him to be effective until 25 year's old. So we may suck for a couple more seasons. I wonder if we're interested to wait for him. Personally, I am okay with him. He's shown great timing and positioning. He's also shown good toughness and work ethics. That's the intangible teams want at 5.

Potter is a normal SF with skinny frame. I have no ideas how he develops on next level. But he does play the same position as Barnes. That's being said, I'd rather pick Bamba over him. The latter fills a need and is coming from Texas. He has very good leaping skills. However, he's a little streaky as a shooter. That means he's likely more T-Mac than KD. If he can't play SG, then he might not get enough playing time to grow with the Mavs. T-Mac is not bad. But he's also surely not the type of player you want to build around. Wiggins may be a good comparison to him. I think he's more ready and has a high ceiling than Fox, though.

Bagley is a PF with a starting kit of Ian Clark. You know, skinny PF doesn't work very well in the past. They may have trouble while bulking up. And their lower body is prone to injury issues as they have to bang with much bigger players. And he doesn't have adequate jumpers. That means opponents may trap the paint and foul him hard early in his first couple of seasons. He's likely not in ROY discussion in 2019. This is the most risky pick at top five. There's a good chance he may bust out.

The one you left out is Jaren Jackson Jr. he can literally do it all. He can consistently shoot with range (and will continue to get better), is a solid rebounder, has the moves to be able to develop a strong low post game, and is a rim protector. He doesn’t quite have the athletic ability of Bagley but he’s not far off. He’s a bigger version of Al Horford. If the Mavs could draft him (between 4-6) and then sign Nurkic or Capela that would be an extremely solid young core to build on.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#224 » by Mr B » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:36 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:I'm back to being team Ayton and I don't think I'll change my mind again, at least before the draft. Ayton seems like a guy you can build a team around and since he can beat people horizontally (through power moves) he doesn't have to risk his body going vertical. If the dude takes care of his body, I think he could be our next Dirk (15+ year superstar. He said he choose Arizona because his Mom was tired of flying around. All we got to do is get her to move to DFW, treat her good and I think Ayton would stay.

I am curious though, is the lowest we can fall 3 spots below are draft record? With this being a "7 person draft" that means we can't have a better than 4th worst record to feel safe about getting a stud right?

Honestly, even after 7 there are going to be some good players. They don’t have super star potential but guys like Wendell Carter, the two Bridges, Knox, and Sexton should all be very good 2nd options or role players.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#225 » by Roddy B for 3 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:44 am

Phiology wrote:i hope the mavs select either

doncic
jackson
ayton
or bagley

in that order.

I truly think doncic is the most skilled out of all these players and does not depend on athleticism at all, which is both good and bad (because he does not have any), but he looks swell.

jackson is super young and big, can shoot, looks athletically gifted. Still young, hard to predict whats coming up next.

Ayton is a freak. He looks like he might destroy the league by sher power alone, can also hit the midrange and 3pt. Questions about motor alwiays concern me.

Bagley seems to have high motor, can finish, but I am still in doubt about whether he is gonna be really good or is gonna bust.

---

who i would not take:

porter - already back injury, too risky for potential top 5 pick
bamba - will definetely contribute on defensive side of floor rather sooner than later, but I think compared to other players available I think he lacks the potential on offense
young - might be one of the best players in the draft, but we already hae DSJ, so no thanks

The thing about Ayton is, he is grounded (mentally). He is very competitive. He is incredible at 8+% body fat. If we can get him down to 2-3% for an entire playoff run, during his prime and with comperable talent to the 2011 supporting cast, we might just sneak a title out.

Ayton's inside game with Dennis' attack and kick/set up game would be, physically, very complimentary.

Right now, I have Bamba #2. The only other major prospect I have put research in of the elites is JJJ and I like him alot, just not as much as these too. I've researched Doncic (a little bit) and I'm not sure on him yet.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#226 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 am

^
Ayton, like everybody else in this draft won't be enough to win a title, but are amazing building pieces.
How the NBA stands right now, you must have multiple star players to win a title, and minimum of two. As thankful as I am that we won with the supporting cast we had around Dirk, I don't believe it will happen for any team again over the course of the next five seasons or more, unless the star power is present.

Like you, I like Bamba a great deal, but I currently don't have my #2 prospect set on my rough draft board. Ayton sits at number one and it will take take a lot to dethrone him from that spot.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#227 » by Darren » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:36 pm

DeAndre Ayton is my pick. He's nearly erased all concerns about him this season. I think his intangible won't limit him that much. We can always able to find swingman in FA. I am okay with Doncic or even Young who's compared to Curry if we opt to trade Smith afterall. Both has 6-2 swingpan. While Smith's athleticism is amazing, Young's shooting is more durable for future. As Smith has not shown much improvement in shooting, I am okay if we take somebody else as PG.

I think we try to sign a PF with the cap space available. I lane towards to either Aaron Gordon or Julius Randle. Even if we fail, we make sure that both team use up their cap space. I like Gordon a little better. He's significantly better in shooting. Due to the roster situation, I think his rebounding and bocking number will only grow up. Both stats are currently insignificant for a big, though. We get what we hope Noel for in Gordon. I think he's much better than Brandan Wright in Mavs system. Even if they match a max deal, that's no big deal to us. We can trade to net Josh Jackson in future. BRK handicapped the cap for a lot of teams. And now they get a first from the Crabb trade. I think we lane towards that route as well. However, I really don't like Jabari Parker as he's a severe injuries on knees. While Cousins has similar injuries but I still want us to make a run for his service. But I expect Gordon or Randle to make up their minds earlier than Cousins. And I don't think we currently have the cap rooms to accomodate him without Wes Matthews strategically opts us for our favors.

I wonder if how much we can offer. If I am not mistaken, we only have 17M to offer with. That's not an offer nearly enough for Gordon or possibly Randle as well. Some teams are going to outbid us.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#228 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:51 pm

Darren wrote:DeAndre Ayton is my pick. He's nearly erased all concerns about him this season. I think his intangible won't limit him that much. We can always able to find swingman in FA. I am okay with Doncic or even Young who's compared to Curry if we opt to trade Smith afterall. Both has 6-2 swingpan. While Smith's athleticism is amazing, Young's shooting is more durable for future. As Smith has not shown much improvement in shooting, I am okay if we take somebody else as PG.

I think we try to sign a PF with the cap space available. I lane towards to either Aaron Gordon or Julius Randle. Even if we fail, we make sure that both team use up their cap space. I like Gordon a little better. He's significantly better in shooting. Due to the roster situation, I think his rebounding and bocking number will only grow up. Both stats are currently insignificant for a big, though. We get what we hope Noel for in Gordon. I think he's much better than Brandan Wright in Mavs system. Even if they match a max deal, that's no big deal to us. We can trade to net Josh Jackson in future. BRK handicapped the cap for a lot of teams. And now they get a first from the Crabb trade. I think we lane towards that route as well. However, I really don't like Jabari Parker as he's a severe injuries on knees. While Cousins has similar injuries but I still want us to make a run for his service. But I expect Gordon or Randle to make up their minds earlier than Cousins. And I don't think we currently have the cap rooms to accomodate him without Wes Matthews strategically opts us for our favors.

I wonder if how much we can offer. If I am not mistaken, we only have 17M to offer with. That's not an offer nearly enough for Gordon or possibly Randle as well. Some teams are going to outbid us.

I have to disagree about Dennis’ shooting ability. He’s been much better than I expected, especially from 3.

I think they’re FA target will all depend on who they draft. After the latest rumor about the Mavs being interested in Aaron Gordon he might be their target if they are still in the market for a PF after the draft. Personally I still like Randle. He’s better defensively and is an absolute bull in the paint. He also doesn’t have the injury history that Gordon has.

As for cap space, I heard they will be one of only 4 teams in the NBA that will have more than $20 mil in cap space. I want to say I heard they will have about $22 mil available. That should allow them to target any 1 player that they want in free agency. Then next season they will have two trade chips in Wes Matthews and Barea. Both are solid vets on expiring contracts that could be valuable to contenders. So they should be able to add another young player or pick at the trade deadline.
zaman314125
Pro Prospect
And1: 24

Post#229 » by zaman314125 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:30 am

Read on Twitter

This will be interesting. I love his competitive nature if he came back and played, but it would obviously suck if he got hurt again. Hoping for the best for MPJ. He's my favorite prospect in the draft barring the injury.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#230 » by Teffer10 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:58 am

zaman314125 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This will be interesting. I love his competitive nature if he came back and played, but it would obviously suck if he got hurt again. Hoping for the best for MPJ. He's my favorite prospect in the draft barring the injury.

Porter and Doncic are Carlisle dreams.
I'd almost bet anything one of those two will be a Mav next season if we don't have the top pick.
Ayton would be a no-brainer at #1.
Darren
RealGM

Post#231 » by Darren » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:14 am

The Mavs has sign this guy. Look amazing in the highlights. Surely, one of more entertaining players.
FakerRules
Junior
And1: 0

Post#232 » by FakerRules » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:12 am

Darren wrote:The Mavs has sign this guy. Look amazing in the highlights. Surely, one of more entertaining players.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
What does this have to do in the draft discussion????
--------- Lakers are Old Dirty Champs -----------

-From the poster formerly known as Dirkster-

GET RID OF OLD FINDAWG'S ALBATROSS CONTRACT NOW!!!!
Darren
RealGM

Post#233 » by Darren » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:11 pm

FakerRules wrote:
Darren wrote:The Mavs has sign this guy. Look amazing in the highlights. Surely, one of more entertaining players.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
What does this have to do in the draft discussion????

At first, I think he's a young player. But right now, I figure out that he's 28 year's old already. I wonder what it mean. They prefer a big than a smaller guy from draft.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#234 » by 2011Champs » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:18 pm

Well Scotty looks good against what is probably G-league defense(or worse). Doubt he gets much if any burn in Dallas. Carlisle still determined to give Wes and Barea huge minutes.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#235 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:08 pm

Mr B wrote:
Darren wrote:DeAndre Ayton is my pick. He's nearly erased all concerns about him this season. I think his intangible won't limit him that much. We can always able to find swingman in FA. I am okay with Doncic or even Young who's compared to Curry if we opt to trade Smith afterall. Both has 6-2 swingpan. While Smith's athleticism is amazing, Young's shooting is more durable for future. As Smith has not shown much improvement in shooting, I am okay if we take somebody else as PG.

I have to disagree about Dennis’ shooting ability. He’s been much better than I expected, especially from 3.

I think they’re FA target will all depend on who they draft. After the latest rumor about the Mavs being interested in Aaron Gordon he might be their target if they are still in the market for a PF after the draft. Personally I still like Randle. He’s better defensively and is an absolute bull in the paint. He also doesn’t have the injury history that Gordon has.

As for cap space, I heard they will be one of only 4 teams in the NBA that will have more than $20 mil in cap space. I want to say I heard they will have about $22 mil available. That should allow them to target any 1 player that they want in free agency. Then next season they will have two trade chips in Wes Matthews and Barea. Both are solid vets on expiring contracts that could be valuable to contenders. So they should be able to add another young player or pick at the trade deadline.

Randle looks solid. I still don’t want to overpay for him but I would love him for 15 million. We shouldn’t pay more.

I don’t think Gordon is realistic. I don’t want to pay him the Max and I assume that is what it will take (or near that) to get him. With Randle and the Lakers, their FA desires could dictate a lower price.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#236 » by Pinkyring » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:46 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Randle looks solid. I still don’t want to overpay for him but I would love him for 15 million. We shouldn’t pay more.

I don’t think Gordon is realistic. I don’t want to pay him the Max and I assume that is what it will take (or near that) to get him. With Randle and the Lakers, their FA desires could dictate a lower price.

I do not want any part of randle for 15m he's a big that cant shoot or defend that's terrible in this nba
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#237 » by Pinkyring » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:48 pm

HMFFL wrote:^
Ayton, like everybody else in this draft won't be enough to win a title, but are amazing building pieces.
How the NBA stands right now, you must have multiple star players to win a title, and minimum of two. As thankful as I am that we won with the supporting cast we had around Dirk, I don't believe it will happen for any team again over the course of the next five seasons or more, unless the star power is present.

Like you, I like Bamba a great deal, but I currently don't have my #2 prospect set on my rough draft board. Ayton sits at number one and it will take take a lot to dethrone him from that spot.

I actually think we could win with 2011 roster but it depends on the matchups we wouldn't have beat gsw but i believe we could have beat any other team
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#238 » by Pinkyring » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:50 pm

I love ayton, he isn't a defensive anchor but 25 and 12 is 25 and 12 he's also a very good passer, i think this small ball crap is overrated
Mr B
RealGM

Post#239 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:07 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I do not want any part of randle for 15m he's a big that cant shoot or defend that's terrible in this nba

He’s actually a pretty good defender. He’s also perfect for a team that likes to run. His shooting needs work but he’s pretty solid at everything else. He can handle the ball really well for a big man, he’s a good passer and rebounder and as I stated he’s also a good defender (good not great).
Mr B
RealGM

Post#240 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:10 pm

Pinkyring wrote:I love ayton, he isn't a defensive anchor but 25 and 12 is 25 and 12 he's also a very good passer, i think this small ball crap is overrated

I think just like everything else in the NBA it’s just the current trend. The big man is making a return. This draft is loaded with them. 5 years from now we could all be looking back at this draft as the one that really revived the big man in the NBA.

Return to Dallas Mavericks