Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,037

Re: Mavs 2018 Draft discussion 

Post#182 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 4, 2018 6:58 pm

Mr B wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Yea I do agree with you about that, I would take Bagley or Ayton over Doncic. Mostly because of team need. I think all three are going to extremely good players but Bagley and Ayton are better fits with Dennis and Barnes.

Not sure I agree with Doncic not being as good of a fit but do agree with both of you the other two would be better choices.

What are your guys top 5?

Mine:
1. Bagley (Least amount of risk and great fit)
2. Ayton (Should be a dominant force at center)
3. Doncic (Highest upside but biggest chance of being a bust of the top 3)
4. Porter (Risky but could easily be best player in draft if healthy)
5. Young (Not best fit but best left after the first 4 of having a chance to be a superstar)

From the Mavs point of view that’s probably how my top 5 would look however I wouldn’t take Young at 5. For me it would come down to Bamba or Jackson at 5 and then Young.

1. Bagley
2. Ayton
3. Doncic
4. Jackson
5. Bamba

That’s how I feel as of right now. I will likely flip 4 and 5 several more times before the draft gets here.
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#183 » by Lord Cuban » Sun Feb 4, 2018 8:13 pm

I would never pass Bamba an Bagley for Jackson... But this draft is better than the last year draft... its 7 great prospects and 7 starter material type of prospects
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
Mr B
RealGM

Post#184 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 4, 2018 8:46 pm

Lord Cuban wrote:Image

I would never pass Bamba an Bagley for Jackson... But this draft is better than the last year draft... its 7 great prospects and 7 starter material type of prospects

I definitely would never pass Bagley for Jackson but a case can be made for passing on Bamba. Bamba is a far superior rebounder and slightly better defender. Both are good rim protectors. Jackson has more strength though already to handle guys on the block. Also Jackson already has a solid offensive game.

I think Jackson is the safer pick of the two but Bamba has the higher ceiling. Both are safe picks though. At worst with Bamba I see him developing into a Dikembe Mutombo type of player. Jackson has a similar skill set to Al Horford except he’s a little bigger than Horford.
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#185 » by Torgeir Bryn » Sun Feb 4, 2018 9:40 pm

I'm worried about Ayton's defense. For those of you who watch more college ball than me, are we sure he is not Jahlil Okafor 2.0?
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#186 » by Teffer10 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 2:51 am

Wonder what caused Bagley to slip so far down.
And I have the same concerns as some others about Ayton....doesn't seem to have a strong passion for the game which may limit his upside.
I had the same concerns about Markkanen last season though but he seems to be doing pretty well.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#187 » by daoneandonly » Mon Feb 5, 2018 12:41 pm

Here's my top 5 board now:

1. Ayton
2. Bagley
3. Jackson Jr
4. Bamba
5. Doncic

We really need to stay away from Porter, you can't take a flier on back injuries this high in the draft. I don't see the fit with Doncic and DSJ on the defensive end at all, so that scares me away.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#188 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 5, 2018 2:32 pm

Teffer10 wrote:

And I have the same concerns as some others about Ayton....doesn't seem to have a strong passion for the game which may limit his upside.
I had the same concerns about Markkanen last season though but he seems to be doing pretty well.

His lack of defense has really put some people off. He needs work on his post moves too.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#189 » by dirkforpres » Mon Feb 5, 2018 2:50 pm

Teffer10 wrote:

I don’t really know if it’s so much Bagley slipping as it is the rest of those guys just elevating their level of play. Regardless though, I think Bagley is the most well rounded of all prospects and is worth a top 3 pick. I’m fine with really all except Trae Young for Dallas though.

Ayton reminds me a lot of Towns. Not a very good defender, but there is no disputing th talent level.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mr B
RealGM

Post#190 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 6, 2018 6:28 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

I don’t really know if it’s so much Bagley slipping as it is the rest of those guys just elevating their level of play. Regardless though, I think Bagley is the most well rounded of all prospects and is worth a top 3 pick. I’m fine with really all except Trae Young for Dallas though.

Ayton reminds me a lot of Towns. Not a very good defender, but there is no disputing th talent level.

Would you take Ayton over Bagley?
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#191 » by dirkforpres » Tue Feb 6, 2018 6:54 pm

Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Wonder what caused Bagley to slip so far down.

Yes.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mr B
RealGM

Post#192 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 6, 2018 7:01 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Yes.

I’m on the fence about these two, as far as who I would take first. Bagley has superstar written all over him. He and Dennis would be an excellent young core for this team to have. Ayton on the other hand could be a generational talent if he reaches his potential. The Mavs also would have settled the two hardest positions to fill for the next 10 years.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#193 » by Pinkyring » Tue Feb 6, 2018 7:53 pm

We desperately need to take some salary and add another top 20 pick, id love a big and to add lonnie walker mid first
Mr B
RealGM

Post#194 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 7, 2018 4:53 am

Pinkyring wrote:We desperately need to take some salary and add another top 20 pick, id love a big and to add lonnie walker mid first

How far down do you think Walker gets drafted? If the Mavs were to finish this draft with Bagley and Walker they’ll be very fun to watch next season.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#195 » by Teffer10 » Wed Feb 7, 2018 5:50 am

Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Wonder what caused Bagley to slip so far down.

I'm beginning to think I'd take Doncic over both of them.
Doncic just seems to be competitive as hell with tremendous skills that are conducive to Rick's system. I think he has the best chance of being a superstar....especially as a Mav.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#196 » by Mr B » Wed Feb 7, 2018 6:00 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Doncic just seems to be competitive as hell with tremendous skills that are conducive to Rick's system. I think he has the best chance of being a superstar....especially as a Mav.

It would be a lot of fun to see him and Dennis playing together. They’d be a very dynamic back court.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#197 » by dirkforpres » Wed Feb 7, 2018 1:09 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

I love Doncic’s skill set and he would definitely be a solid fit with DSJ, but I just don’t think we can go into next season without addressing the glaring hole at C before anything else. I’d rather have Curry and Ayton than Kleber and Doncic
FIRE JASON KIDD
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,470

Post#198 » by Ball4life32 » Wed Feb 7, 2018 1:33 pm

Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Yes.

I’m on the fence about these two, as far as who I would take first. Bagley has superstar written all over him. He and Dennis would be an excellent young core for this team to have. Ayton on the other hand could be a generational talent if he reaches his potential. The Mavs also would have settled the two hardest positions to fill for the next 10 years.

PG is the easiest position to fill with all the good PG’s around the league.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#199 » by Pinkyring » Wed Feb 7, 2018 3:35 pm

Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:We desperately need to take some salary and add another top 20 pick, id love a big and to add lonnie walker mid first

How far down do you think Walker gets drafted? If the Mavs were to finish this draft with Bagley and Walker they’ll be very fun to watch next season.

Dont think he drops below 18
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#200 » by agentofatlas » Thu Feb 8, 2018 12:30 am

dirkforpres wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I love Doncic’s skill set and he would definitely be a solid fit with DSJ, but I just don’t think we can go into next season without addressing the glaring hole at C before anything else. I’d rather have Curry and Ayton than Kleber and Doncic

I rather we just get a big in free agency. Specifically Favors or Len.

Anyways, Doncic still tops the list for me. His skill set really works well with Rick and DSJ.

Return to Dallas Mavericks