Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Mavs 2018 Draft discussion 

Post#201 » by Pinkyring » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:13 am

agentofatlas wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I'm beginning to think I'd take Doncic over both of them.
Doncic just seems to be competitive as hell with tremendous skills that are conducive to Rick's system. I think he has the best chance of being a superstar....especially as a Mav.

I love Doncic’s skill set and he would definitely be a solid fit with DSJ, but I just don’t think we can go into next season without addressing the glaring hole at C before anything else. I’d rather have Curry and Ayton than Kleber and Doncic

I rather we just get a big in free agency. Specifically Favors or Len.

Anyways, Doncic still tops the list for me. His skill set really works well with Rick and DSJ.

Pass on len, I'd like to add favors and hood paired with dsj barnes and ayton
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#202 » by Teffer10 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 2:37 am

agentofatlas wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I'm beginning to think I'd take Doncic over both of them.
Doncic just seems to be competitive as hell with tremendous skills that are conducive to Rick's system. I think he has the best chance of being a superstar....especially as a Mav.

I love Doncic’s skill set and he would definitely be a solid fit with DSJ, but I just don’t think we can go into next season without addressing the glaring hole at C before anything else. I’d rather have Curry and Ayton than Kleber and Doncic

Anyways, Doncic still tops the list for me. His skill set really works well with Rick and DSJ.

Completely agree on both accounts....we think alike.

I think big guys are much easier to acquire than skilled guards and Rick would be in hog heaven to start the rebuild process with a 20yo DSJ and 19yo Doncic.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#203 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 8, 2018 2:46 am

The name I’ve been hearing that they’ll target in FA is Clint Capela from Houston. Unless they draft Ayton or Bamba I think he’ll be the starting center next year. His game fits perfectly with either Doncic or Bagley. And actually Capela would fit as a PF next to Ayton. Also he’s 23 so he fits the youth movement.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#204 » by Pinkyring » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:06 am

Mr B wrote:The name I’ve been hearing that they’ll target in FA is Clint Capela from Houston. Unless they draft Ayton or Bamba I think he’ll be the starting center next year. His game fits perfectly with either Doncic or Bagley. And actually Capela would fit as a PF next to Ayton. Also he’s 23 so he fits the youth movement.

Depends on the numbers id pass on anything more than 15m
Mr B
RealGM

Post#205 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:19 am

Also heard that the Mavs have more interest in the RFA’s this off season than the UFA’s. Capela being one of those RFA.
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#206 » by Torgeir Bryn » Thu Feb 8, 2018 9:20 am

Mr B wrote:The name I’ve been hearing that they’ll target in FA is Clint Capela from Houston. Unless they draft Ayton or Bamba I think he’ll be the starting center next year. His game fits perfectly with either Doncic or Bagley. And actually Capela would fit as a PF next to Ayton. Also he’s 23 so he fits the youth movement.

Why would you want to play Capella at PF though? I love him, but he is exactly the Tyson Chandler type of center we could use.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#207 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 8, 2018 2:25 pm

Torgeir Bryn wrote:

Why would you want to play Capella at PF though? I love him, but he is exactly the Tyson Chandler type of center we could use.

I would prefer he play center. I’m just saying that even if the Mavs drafted Ayton then Capela would still be a fit if he played the 4 (Ayton the 5).
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#208 » by arkuo » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:17 pm

Mr B wrote:Also heard that the Mavs have more interest in the RFA’s this off season than the UFA’s. Capela being one of those RFA.

This is interesting. Because Houston will be forced to cough up max dollars for Chris Paul and may not have enough flexibility left to match Capella.

Same situation with Aaron Gordon.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#209 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 8, 2018 6:21 pm

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:Also heard that the Mavs have more interest in the RFA’s this off season than the UFA’s. Capela being one of those RFA.

This is interesting. Because Houston will be forced to cough up max dollars for Chris Paul and may not have enough flexibility left to match Capella.

Same situation with Aaron Gordon.

Plus there is Julius Randle. With the Lakers trade today I’d say they are all in on trying to acquire Labron. If Dallas doesn’t land Bagley in the draft Randle would be a perfect fit here.
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect

Post#210 » by Torgeir Bryn » Thu Feb 8, 2018 8:41 pm

Mr B wrote:
Torgeir Bryn wrote:

I would prefer he play center. I’m just saying that even if the Mavs drafted Ayton then Capela would still be a fit if he played the 4 (Ayton the 5).

He wouldn't though. You take away his best abilities on both offence and defence if you play him there with another big clogging the paint. If you are going to pay him the premium it would take to lure him from Houston, then you better play him where you get your moneys worth.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#211 » by arkuo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:43 pm

So how about our projected high 2nd round pick? draft.net has us taking Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk from Kansas. 6'8" shooting guard in the mold of Manu and Klay.

Hey, Manu was pick 57 of the 2nd round. I wouldn't rule that out completely. But the kid just plays really smooth. See for yourself.

2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#212 » by 2011Champs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:01 pm

arkuo wrote:So how about our projected high 2nd round pick? draft.net has us taking Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk from Kansas. 6'8" shooting guard in the mold of Manu and Klay.

Hey, Manu was pick 57 of the 2nd round. I wouldn't rule that out completely. But the kid just plays really smooth. See for yourself.

Mavs should do some heavy scouting on the guy among others.

Now if the Mavs put the same effort into scouting their 2nd round pick as they do with undrafted rookies they are bound to get at least a rotation player out of the deal....or at least do the Brad Stevens/Danny Ainge thing and make the player look great and trade them.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#213 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:52 pm

arkuo wrote:So how about our projected high 2nd round pick? draft.net has us taking Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk from Kansas. 6'8" shooting guard in the mold of Manu and Klay.

I wouldn’t be upset with that at all. If the Mavs can come out of this off season with Bagley, and Mykhailiuk and then Nurkic (or Capela) I would say it was a good off season. As well as resign Curry and Salah.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#214 » by The Sparest » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:23 am

I would be happy with that pick, but I am hoping they find a way to draft Shake Milton from SMU. I think Shake is the perfect player for RC to develop.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#215 » by Teffer10 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:37 am

I actually suggested Svi a few weeks ago. Seems like the perfect Rick guy. McBuckets is a similar player so my guess is they'll resign him and maybe pursue a different type of player with that pick.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#216 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:32 am

Pinkyring wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Nowitzki/Powell/Mejri
Barnes/Klieber
Matthews/DFS
Doncic/Curry/
DSJ/Ferrell/Curry

I think we have only 1-3 years of tank left in us, barring injury.

*If we pick well.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Mr B
RealGM

Post#217 » by Mr B » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:42 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:

Nowitzki/Powell/Mejri
Barnes/Klieber
Matthews/DFS
Doncic/Curry/
DSJ/Ferrell/Curry

I think we have only 1-3 years of tank left in us, barring injury.

*If we pick well.

If we pick well I think this will be the last year of hard tanking. I expect them to sign a guy like Capela or Nurkic in the off season and then next season they play hard for that 8th seed.

Nurkic/Mejri/Dirk
Bagley/Powell/Kleber
Barnes/McBuckets
Curry/free agent
DSJ/Yogi

They will likely just miss that 8th seed and will be picking at the back end of the lottery. Then the following year is the year they finally break through and make the playoffs.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#218 » by Darren » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:31 pm

I think we would draft Aryon. Just look at his body shape. You know he'll be special. That's a body shape comparable to David Robinson in his prime. If he's at least average work ethics and intelligence, he'll succeed. But I don't like what I see from highlights. He seems to have issues with smart. He tends to stick to perimeter guys instead of archoring the paint. And his statistics show that he has not improved much since rookie seasons. There's a gap between hype and reality. Surely, he'd be better than Greg Oden and perhaps Kandiman. Even if he fails, he could still play at Dalembert's level. That's not too bad as a two-wayed player.

I have no idea who we should go for. I think Doncic and Bamba is safe pick with ceiling of Evan Fournier and DeAndre Jordan. The former might be able to contribute right away. But his athleticism will limit him on next level. Intelligence, work ethics and shooting are great. So, that's a pretty safe pick. He's another Evan Fournier with better basketball smart and work ethics. He deserves second pick considerations for sure. The most troublesome issue is whether or not he can defend normal two from this league. Fournier doesn't do well in this regards. He's similar athleticism.

As for Bamba, his role is more simple. I expect him to grow with his body frame. If we pick him, I expect us to trade down and rid ourselves of some bad money. But he's less ready than Doncic. He's pretty skinny. It takes time for him to develop. I don't expect him to be effective until 25 year's old. So we may suck for a couple more seasons. I wonder if we're interested to wait for him. Personally, I am okay with him. He's shown great timing and positioning. He's also shown good toughness and work ethics. That's the intangible teams want at 5.

Potter is a normal SF with skinny frame. I have no ideas how he develops on next level. But he does play the same position as Barnes. That's being said, I'd rather pick Bamba over him. The latter fills a need and is coming from Texas. He has very good leaping skills. However, he's a little streaky as a shooter. That means he's likely more T-Mac than KD. If he can't play SG, then he might not get enough playing time to grow with the Mavs. T-Mac is not bad. But he's also surely not the type of player you want to build around. Wiggins may be a good comparison to him. I think he's more ready and has a high ceiling than Fox, though.

Bagley is a PF with a starting kit of Ian Clark. You know, skinny PF doesn't work very well in the past. They may have trouble while bulking up. And their lower body is prone to injury issues as they have to bang with much bigger players. And he doesn't have adequate jumpers. That means opponents may trap the paint and foul him hard early in his first couple of seasons. He's likely not in ROY discussion in 2019. This is the most risky pick at top five. There's a good chance he may bust out.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#219 » by Roddy B for 3 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:46 am

I'm back to being team Ayton and I don't think I'll change my mind again, at least before the draft. Ayton seems like a guy you can build a team around and since he can beat people horizontally (through power moves) he doesn't have to risk his body going vertical. If the dude takes care of his body, I think he could be our next Dirk (15+ year superstar. He said he choose Arizona because his Mom was tired of flying around. All we got to do is get her to move to DFW, treat her good and I think Ayton would stay.

I am curious though, is the lowest we can fall 3 spots below are draft record? With this being a "7 person draft" that means we can't have a better than 4th worst record to feel safe about getting a stud right?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect

Post#220 » by Torgeir Bryn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:I am curious though, is the lowest we can fall 3 spots below are draft record? With this being a "7 person draft" that means we can't have a better than 4th worst record to feel safe about getting a stud right?

Yeah. Three first picks are drawn in the lottery, the rest will go in reverse order of their record.

Return to Dallas Mavericks