Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,562

Re: Mavs 2018 Draft discussion 

Post#561 » by Bob8 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Yes I don't think he'd be BPA over Ayton, Bagley, Bamba, a healthy Porter, and even JJ and bridges, I think he'll be BPA after those guys. And Dallas is in desperate need of rebounding, defense, and/or a big who can score, Luka does not fit any of those 3.

do you really believe somebody cares what you think? ;) Gms are going in Europe to see 18 years old kid non stop. He’s top2 for Espn, Ringer, SI, Bleecher.. Look at other clubs threads in Realgm. But let’s wait and see. I have a feeling a big surprise is coming for you.
Btw. why you hate this kid? You’re writing **** about him in every thread available in Realgm.

Dont entertain the guy, just look at his history and the kind of deals he likes and players he likes, I'd bet he hasnt watched 5 full doncic games, thats why I don't comment on him because i dont watch euro ball and everyone looks good in highlights

you’re right, thanks.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#562 » by daoneandonly » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Yes I don't think he'd be BPA over Ayton, Bagley, Bamba, a healthy Porter, and even JJ and bridges, I think he'll be BPA after those guys. And Dallas is in desperate need of rebounding, defense, and/or a big who can score, Luka does not fit any of those 3.

do you really believe somebody cares what you think? ;) Gms are going in Europe to see 18 years old kid non stop. He’s top2 for Espn, Ringer, SI, Bleecher.. Look at other clubs threads in Realgm. But let’s wait and see. I have a feeling a big surprise is coming for you.
Btw. why you hate this kid? You’re writing **** about him in every thread available in Realgm.

Dont entertain the guy, just look at his history and the kind of deals he likes and players he likes, I'd bet he hasnt watched 5 full doncic games, thats why I don't comment on him because i dont watch euro ball and everyone looks good in highlights

yes listen to Pinkyring, who still lives in 2007. he wants Dallas to trade for Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin, and get this, Carmelo Anthony. Most clueless poster in the entire RealGm

Bob, I like you, you bring up good facts and opinions, and don't talk about relics who are toxic personalities like those 3 guys Pinky wants
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#563 » by Pinkyring » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:39 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

you’re right, thanks.

Yeah complete cancer to any reasonable basketball discussion 1
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#564 » by daoneandonly » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Dont entertain the guy, just look at his history and the kind of deals he likes and players he likes, I'd bet he hasnt watched 5 full doncic games, thats why I don't comment on him because i dont watch euro ball and everyone looks good in highlights

you’re right, thanks.

Yeah complete cancer to any reasonable basketball discussion 1

The fact that you'd use the word cancer, a horrific disease that people have to live through and taken so many lives, shows how classless of a human being you really are
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#565 » by Pinkyring » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:45 pm

Back to ignore u go
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#566 » by HMFFL » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:32 pm

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#567 » by dirkforpres » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:00 pm

It all depends on the lottery. In no way would I be interested in trading a top 4 pick, but if it fell to 5 or below then I think they would have to listen. But yeah, Ayton/Doncic/Bagley/Porter are all too enticing to give up if we have ge opportunity to get any of them
FIRE JASON KIDD
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#568 » by 2011Champs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:06 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

It all depends on the lottery. In no way would I be interested in trading a top 4 pick, but if it fell to 5 or below then I think they would have to listen. But yeah, Ayton/Doncic/Bagley/Porter are all too enticing to give up if we have ge opportunity to get any of them

I’d like to say I wouldn’t trade the pick however when you look at underwhelming young players like 2015 draft Jahlil Okafor , Cauley-Stein etc a proven guy doesn’t necessarily sound all that bad.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#569 » by Teffer10 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:26 am

daoneandonly wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

I can say the same for you :) You're on the Mavs board so I'm assuming you're probably on the other lottery team boards too hyping him up.

I just find it outright insulting that people dare compare him to Magic, Bird, and Lebron, those aren't just stars, those are 3 of the GOAT. Guys you can argue should be on the Mt Rushmore of NBA players, and we have posters who are proclaiming Doncic in that tier, it's nauseating.

Top draft players frequently get compared to stars.
Dirk was compared to Bird when he came out and most fans hated the fact that we drafted him over Pierce for many of the same reasons you seem to despise Doncic.
Any of the projected top 7 or 8 could be complete busts but most are compared to some former or current superstar in one way or another.

Some comparisons I've read/heard:
Ayton - Robinson
Bagley - Bosh
Porter - Durant
Young - Curry
Knox - George
Bamba - Mutombo
Doncic - Pistol Pete

Right now I see Ayton's ceiling as something between Chamberlain and Olowokandi.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#570 » by dirkforpres » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:28 am

2011Champs wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

I’d like to say I wouldn’t trade the pick however when you look at underwhelming young players like 2015 draft Jahlil Okafor , Cauley-Stein etc a proven guy doesn’t necessarily sound all that bad.

At the end of the day, it just comes down to wanting a 19 year old that we can develop over an older player
FIRE JASON KIDD
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#571 » by HMFFL » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:49 am

dirkforpres wrote:
2011Champs wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

At the end of the day, it just comes down to wanting a 19 year old that we can develop over an older player

We must keep our options open.
While I doubt any star talents in the league will be available we must consider trading the pick (Depending on the position) and not completely rely on the draft. For instance, if we contact the Knicks regarding Kristaps Porzingis he is the type of player that we should pursue. We desperately need the pick to be a future star talent for us. I realize how difficult that will be but this is our chance to draft our guy that's here 10+ seasons and that leads us to success.
k-lynch201
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#572 » by k-lynch201 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:58 am

HMFFL wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
2011Champs wrote:

We must keep our options open.
While I doubt any star talents in the league will be available we must consider trading the pick (Depending on the position) and not completely rely on the draft. For instance, if we contact the Knicks regarding Kristaps Porzingis he is the type of player that we should pursue. We desperately need the pick to be a future star talent for us. I realize how difficult that will be but this is our chance to draft our guy that's here 10+ seasons and that leads us to success.

Gotta agree 100%. Someone like Porzi is still young and has mvp potential, he is a viable trade option, but their aren't many.

Still very excited to pair a young talent with DSJ, definitely an exciting free agency coming up.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#573 » by dirkforpres » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:24 am

Coin flip is tomorrow. Anyone know if it’s televised and/or what time it’s at?
FIRE JASON KIDD
thr3ep01nte4
Junior
And1: 150

Post#574 » by thr3ep01nte4 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:20 am

Teffer10 wrote:Some comparisons I've read/heard:
Ayton - Robinson
Bagley - Bosh
Porter - Durant
Young - Curry
Knox - George
Bamba - Mutombo
Doncic - Pistol Pete

Right now I see Ayton's ceiling as something between Chamberlain and Olowokandi.

Ayton's defense is shaky. Jackson Hoy of the Stepien recently said that Ayton needs to be a top 3-4 offensive center in the league to justify that pick if he turns out to be an average or below average defender. Right now, he doesn't have a Jokic-like game for a team to run their entire offense through him. He also has not shown the fantastic shooting ability of Towns'. A realistic outcome for Ayton should be DeMarcus Cousins.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#575 » by Bob8 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:02 am

Teffer10 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I can say the same for you :) You're on the Mavs board so I'm assuming you're probably on the other lottery team boards too hyping him up.

I just find it outright insulting that people dare compare him to Magic, Bird, and Lebron, those aren't just stars, those are 3 of the GOAT. Guys you can argue should be on the Mt Rushmore of NBA players, and we have posters who are proclaiming Doncic in that tier, it's nauseating.

Dirk was compared to Bird when he came out and most fans hated the fact that we drafted him over Pierce for many of the same reasons you seem to despise Doncic.
Any of the projected top 7 or 8 could be complete busts but most are compared to some former or current superstar in one way or another.

Ayton - Robinson
Bagley - Bosh
Porter - Durant
Young - Curry
Knox - George
Bamba - Mutombo
Doncic - Pistol Pete

If I may add something important. Doncic will have 200 professional matches played, when he will came in Nba. He will play 2 seasons with 90+ games with traveling all around Europe. He has played against Nba clubs, against Nba players, against ex. Nba players, against NCAA superstars, all in their prime. He’s playing in incredible hostile environments. He’s used to deal with journalists, fans... He went in Spain with 13 years, alone. Not knowing a single Spanish word and had to go in school there.
All that makes him very unlikely bust.

And because I know Rubio comparison will come in play, may I show the difference in advance,

Doncic, http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=005929&seasoncode=E2017

Rubio, http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=LFW#!careerstats

We can see that their productivity is incomparable. And Rubio was 2 years older going in Nba.

Doncic and Rubio have met in this years semis of Eurobasket in head to head. Spain with 6 nba players was big favorite, but Doncic dominated Rubio and Slovenia has won by 20. Doncic looking as better player than prime Rubio. Doncic ended in first team of Eurobasket, with Dragic, Shved, Bogdanovic and Gasol. If somebody really wants, he can compare 19 years old Doncic with prime Rubio. And bigger, prime Rubio with a shot is not that bad for 19 years old kid, don’t you think?

I don’t like comparisons. He for sure isn’t and will never be LeBron. Doncic himself compared him with Simmons. I see something Hraden-ish in him. How he draws fouls is elite. He is first in Fts attempted in Euroleague. And that’s something not normal for far the youngest player in the league. Looking at his numbers rember that he’s playing only 25 minutes/game.

http://www.euroleague.net/main/statistics?mode=Leaders&entity=Players&seasonmode=Single&seasoncode=E2017&cat=FreeThrowsAttempted&agg=PerGame
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#576 » by daoneandonly » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:23 am

Bob8 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Ayton - Robinson
Bagley - Bosh
Porter - Durant
Young - Curry
Knox - George
Bamba - Mutombo
Doncic - Pistol Pete

If I may add something important. Doncic will have 200 professional matches played, when he will came in Nba. He will play 2 seasons with 90+ games with traveling all around Europe. He has played against Nba clubs, against Nba players, against ex. Nba players, against NCAA superstars, all in their prime. He’s playing in incredible hostile environments. He’s used to deal with journalists, fans... He went in Spain with 13 years, alone. Not knowing a single Spanish word and had to go in school there.

And because I know Rubio comparison will come in play, may I show the difference in advance,

Doncic, http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=005929&seasoncode=E2017

Rubio, http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=LFW#!careerstats

We can see that their productivity is incomparable. And Rubio was 2 years older going in Nba.

Doncic and Rubio have met in this years semis of Eurobasket in head to head. Spain with 6 nba players was big favorite, but Doncic dominated Rubio and Slovenia has won by 20. Doncic looking as better player than prime Rubio. Doncic ended in first team of Eurobasket, with Dragic, Shved, Bogdanovic and Gasol. If somebody really wants, he can compare 19 years old Doncic with prime Rubio. And bigger, prime Rubio with a shot is not that bad for 19 years old kid, don’t you think?

I don’t like comparisons. He for sure isn’t and will never be LeBron. Doncic himself compared him with Simmons. I see something Hraden-ish in him. How he draws fouls is elite. He is first in Fts attempted in Euroleague. And that’s something not normal for far the youngest player in the league. Looking at his numbers rember that he’s playing only 25 minutes/game.

http://www.euroleague.net/main/statistics?mode=Leaders&entity=Players&seasonmode=Single&seasoncode=E2017&cat=FreeThrowsAttempted&agg=PerGame

I don't think it's far fetched at all to believe he'll be better than Rubio. Ricky is decent, but he's nothing even remotely special, he's a guy who can play solid minutes, but he's far from a difference maker. The question the GM's will have to do their due diligence on is can Doncic translate to the NBA? He has some great skill sets, and understand his mentality and physicality he has endured, but the NBA is a whole different gambit. He hasn't seen the athleticism of these NBA guys on a day to day basis, and the 3 point line is further away in the NBA, so his already meager percentages are surely going to have to improve. Like you said, he needs a Beverly like guy to play alongside him, because Beverly has everything he does not, lock down defense, strong/athletic, and a more reliable 3 point shot(career avg of close to 38%). I think his best fit among the bottom teams would be Memphis with Conley and Gasol.

With respect to Simmons, I don't know. Doncic is a better shooter that's not a question, but Simmons is a far superior defender and Doncic won't rebound as well in the NBA as he did in euroleague, Simmons is great there as well.

But as you mentioned, we don't have to worry, us Dallas fans know we never have lottery luck, so we won't be in position to pick him if he truly will be a top 2 pick.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#577 » by daoneandonly » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:26 am

Teffer10 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Ayton - Robinson
Bagley - Bosh
Porter - Durant
Young - Curry
Knox - George
Bamba - Mutombo
Doncic - Pistol Pete

True, it's one thing to compare guys to Bosh and PG13, it's a whole different animal when there are comparisons to the Mt Rushmore of NBA guys, that just irks me for some reason. Especially on the Doncic thread in the NBA Draft board, I don't know if these fans are trolling or they actually believe this ridiculous hype, but it's inexplicable.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#578 » by Bob8 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:47 am

daoneandonly wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Top draft players frequently get compared to stars.

Ayton - Robinson
Bagley - Bosh
Porter - Durant
Young - Curry
Knox - George
Bamba - Mutombo
Doncic - Pistol Pete

I don't think it's far fetched at all to believe he'll be better than Rubio. Ricky is decent, but he's nothing even remotely special, he's a guy who can play solid minutes, but he's far from a difference maker. The question the GM's will have to do their due diligence on is can Doncic translate to the NBA? He has some great skill sets, and understand his mentality and physicality he has endured, but the NBA is a whole different gambit. He hasn't seen the athleticism of these NBA guys on a day to day basis, and the 3 point line is further away in the NBA, so his already meager percentages are surely going to have to improve. Like you said, he needs a Beverly like guy to play alongside him, because Beverly has everything he does not, lock down defense, strong/athletic, and a more reliable 3 point shot(career avg of close to 38%). I think his best fit among the bottom teams would be Memphis with Conley and Gasol.

With respect to Simmons, I don't know. Doncic is a better shooter that's not a question, but Simmons is a far superior defender and Doncic won't rebound as well in the NBA as he did in euroleague, Simmons is great there as well.

But as you mentioned, we don't have to worry, us Dallas fans know we never have lottery luck, so we won't be in position to pick him if he truly will be a top 2 pick.

Just watch videos I pasted yesterday. In first he’s shooting difficult of the dribble shots in second well Nba range shots. Don’t forget that 3 point line in Europe is further than in NCAA (6.75m). % doesn’t tell the whole story. His shot looks good, has Nba range and is shooting a lot. Without impossible shots from half court, he’s shooting 35%, mostly difficult of the dribble shots. And he’s barely 19. What’s athleticism for Simmons, can be shooting for Doncic. He will be deadly in pick&roll.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#579 » by Teffer10 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:34 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Ayton - Robinson
Bagley - Bosh
Porter - Durant
Young - Curry
Knox - George
Bamba - Mutombo
Doncic - Pistol Pete

True, it's one thing to compare guys to Bosh and PG13, it's a whole different animal when there are comparisons to the Mt Rushmore of NBA guys, that just irks me for some reason. Especially on the Doncic thread in the NBA Draft board, I don't know if these fans are trolling or they actually believe this ridiculous hype, but it's inexplicable.

Comparisons are all over the spectrum and some are close and others are complete misses.

Was it ridiculous to compare Dirk to Bird?
But to your point it turned out to be ridiculous to compare Olowokandi to Ewing.

My point is that if it is okay to compare Ayton to Robinson, then it is fair game to compare Doncic to Marivich, Nash or even Bird (which I don't quite understand the Bird comparison).

Return to Dallas Mavericks