Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,171

Re: Mavs 2018 Draft discussion 

Post#681 » by Mr B » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:10 pm

Dundalis wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Dundalis wrote:MJ and Pippen?? Ridiculous, he's not Lebron. Literally the only player in the league who could turn trash into a playoff team by himself. Talking like just picking up Leonard is gonna mean all these FA's are gonna want to sign to play with him is fantasy. If I was PG13 I'd much rather go sign somewhere like the 76ers, or whoever Lebron signs with. That's not to mention both the current situation and his injury. Whether the injury situation is real or fake either way makes me think giving up the results of the rebuild is in no way a good option.

The idea is to build a team to survive the west. The 8th seed right now has Towns, Butler and Wiggins. If guys like Kawhi and/or PG hits the market, you have to at least try to get one if not both. DSJ + Barnes + Bagley won't be enough to win the west. Unless we tank Sixers style and hope to get the next Simmons and Embid. You must have foresight to look ahead of the curve. At this rate, everybody is playing for 2nd place behind GSW for the next 3 to 5 years. Dallas can be 8th or 9th in the west, at best. If ticket and merchandise sales are enough to keep Cuban's margins afloat then well and good.

The problem is that this team is in no way shape or form positioned to attract any type of quality FA, or anyone in a trade. No way in hell Leonard has any interest in playing in Dallas, and I'd bet my house PG doesn't either. This team has needed a full rebuild for years. Building a team to 'survive' the west doesn't interest me in any way, and shouldn't interest any other fans. It sounds like sustained mediocrity which is what the team has been dealing with for a long time now. Bottoming out, for a few years if necessary is the way to go. Even if we don't necessarily hit on that marquee talent, filling the roster with cheap young highly talented players is the way to build the team.

They’re definitely not going to get Kawhi. That’s a huge pipe dream. To say they don’t have any trade assets is incorrect though. For the next 2 years they will have quite a bit in expiring contracts they could use in a trade. Wes and Barea are expiring this year and Barnes next year. That’s A LOT of money coming off the books that they could keep to sign middle-tier free agents to pair/grow with Dennis and this year’s pick or that they could use to acquire players from a team that is desperately trying to get out of tax hell. So they do have trade assets.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,941

Post#682 » by arkuo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:19 pm

If we do draft Jaren Jackson Jr or Bamba, we are eerily similar to the late 2000s Chicago Bulls. Anyone else noticed that?

Bulls had Rose, Deng, Gordon, Noah

We will have Smith Jr, Barnes, Matthews and one of those defensive big men above.

In that context though, Dennis has to be able to lead the team moving forward like D.Rose. If he can replicate how Donovan Mitchell led the Jazz team to the 2nd round, then that would be awesome.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 868

Post#683 » by Teffer10 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:19 pm

arkuo wrote:If we do draft Jaren Jackson Jr or Bamba, we are eerily similar to the late 2000s Chicago Bulls. Anyone else noticed that?

We will have Smith Jr, Barnes, Matthews and one of those defensive big men above.

In that context though, Dennis has to be able to lead the team moving forward like D.Rose. If he can replicate how Donovan Mitchell led the Jazz team to the 2nd round, then that would be awesome.

That is the one concern I have about DSJ....his ability to eventually become a strong vocal leader on this team. He'll be damn exciting to watch and is an amazing talent but I wonder if he has the personality to be a strong leader.
One of the reasons why I really like Doncic because I think he could become an exceptionally strong leader and take over the team allowing and helping DSJ to do his thing.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#684 » by Pinkyring » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:37 am

I'm liking bamba more and more I'd even flirt with trading for him if we get number 1 overall, i love ayton offensively but his defense is terrible, if we can get 17 10 and 2blks out of mo id take it
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,041

Post#685 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:02 am

Pinkyring wrote:I'm liking bamba more and more I'd even flirt with trading for him if we get number 1 overall, i love ayton offensively but his defense is terrible, if we can get 17 10 and 2blks out of mo id take it

Ayton is a better shooter. Ayton seems better in transition. Ayton is probably a better roller.

What were Mo's advanced defense #'s?
Do advanced defensive college #'s typically translate?
Was Ayton comparable?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,171

Post#686 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:29 pm

So if the Mavs end up with the 3rd pick and Bamba and Bagley are both on the board what’s the consensus among you guys? I’m having a hard time deciding but leaning towards Bamba.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,865

Post#687 » by dirkforpres » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:18 pm

Mr B wrote:So if the Mavs end up with the 3rd pick and Bamba and Bagley are both on the board what’s the consensus among you guys? I’m having a hard time deciding but leaning towards Bamba.

I think Bagley. He’s gonna be a monster and there are several centers on the market via free agency and trades that we could fill that gap with instead of through the draft. You probably don’t go wrong with either though.. Bamba is gonna be legit as well
FIRE JASON KIDD
arkuo
General Manager

Post#688 » by arkuo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:22 pm

Mr B wrote:So if the Mavs end up with the 3rd pick and Bamba and Bagley are both on the board what’s the consensus among you guys? I’m having a hard time deciding but leaning towards Bamba.

Man, that's a coin toss to be honest. Tough decision for Donnie and Cuban.

Bamba will have to add more work in the weight room. His frame looks like it can carry additional weight so that's good.

Bagley's lack of wingspan is uninspiring. but his high motor is very appealing to me.

Both will have to work on their perimeter game though.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#689 » by Pinkyring » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:32 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

I think Bagley. He’s gonna be a monster and there are several centers on the market via free agency and trades that we could fill that gap with instead of through the draft. You probably don’t go wrong with either though.. Bamba is gonna be legit as well

Sure there are centers out that but we would have to grossly overpay to the point it's not worth it, just like we did with barnes
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#690 » by Teffer10 » Tue May 1, 2018 12:20 am

Pinkyring wrote:I'm liking bamba more and more I'd even flirt with trading for him if we get number 1 overall, i love ayton offensively but his defense is terrible, if we can get 17 10 and 2blks out of mo id take it

I've said it before and will say it again, there are 3 guys in this draft that will be good fits in our system....Doncic, Porter and Bamba.

Bamba makes a lot of sense because he automatically addresses two huge areas of need, rebounding and interior defense. With several SGs most likely in the lotto in the 2019 draft we'd have a chance to land that 4th core player and addressess almost all of our needs. We should be able to find a decent PF in FA in 2019 after Wes, Dirk and JJ's contracts expire.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,865

Post#691 » by dirkforpres » Tue May 1, 2018 12:59 am

Pinkyring wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Sure there are centers out that but we would have to grossly overpay to the point it's not worth it, just like we did with barnes

Is it an overpay though? Odds are it would only cost us Matthews to get either Dwight or Whiteside and it would likely mean we would be back in the playoffs
FIRE JASON KIDD
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#692 » by Pinkyring » Tue May 1, 2018 1:07 am

dirkforpres wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Is it an overpay though? Odds are it would only cost us Matthews to get either Dwight or Whiteside and it would likely mean we would be back in the playoffs

I was speaking free agency, trade no, I'd trade wes for howard or whiteside in heartbeat
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,115

Post#693 » by daoneandonly » Tue May 1, 2018 11:15 am

dirkforpres wrote:

Yea this is going to be a tough one, and if we get #3, I think it's a very likely scenario. I'm torn myself, but probably have to agree with dfp, I think you go with Bagley here since there are no questions regarding his motor and work ethic, whereas there does seem to be some regarding Bamba. If there's even the slightest concern or inkling that Bamba has any of Noel's tendencies, you have to go bagley.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#694 » by arkuo » Tue May 1, 2018 5:19 pm

Because we may be drafting at #3, this pretty unbiased analysis may change your opinion about this kid. Also a full year younger than the whole batch of draftees at 18 years young.

If we are drafting on potential, which i think we will, then JJJ might be the guy. He has handles and motor that Bamba doesn't. He's got the wingspan and defensive potential that Bagley doesn't. Everything else in between can be adjusted with good coaching from Dirk, Holger and Carlisle, I assume.

If we get him at #3 though, I'm worried we may have to bring Nerlens back, hopefully at a bargain. I'd assume JJJ would need to have the ball inside to be effective and Nerlens can play defense and be effective without scoring much. That is assuming Noel accepts that the market for himself isn't and was never as huge as he dreamt it to be. I have a feeling we can "buy low" on Noel rather than spend north of $20M on someone like Nurkic. Lucky for us his "agent" will be busy with Lebron this summer, so Noel will be an afterthought.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 836

Post#695 » by Darren » Tue May 1, 2018 5:47 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
arkuo wrote:If we do draft Jaren Jackson Jr or Bamba, we are eerily similar to the late 2000s Chicago Bulls. Anyone else noticed that?

That is the one concern I have about DSJ....his ability to eventually become a strong vocal leader on this team. He'll be damn exciting to watch and is an amazing talent but I wonder if he has the personality to be a strong leader.
One of the reasons why I really like Doncic because I think he could become an exceptionally strong leader and take over the team allowing and helping DSJ to do his thing.

I think Iverson led his team better than Rose did.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#696 » by arkuo » Tue May 1, 2018 5:54 pm

Darren wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

I think Iverson led his team better than Rose did.

That is true. And I agree. However Iverson showed greatness in his rookie season while Dennis had an okay year. If not, he would have been showing out in the playoffs and not Donovan Mitchell.

Kidding aside, I just showed the D.Rose comparison because of the parallels we had with the 2009 Chicago Bulls.

Barnes - Deng
Matthews - Gordon
Jackson Jr (Draftee) - Noah
Smith Jr - Rose
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#697 » by bran muffin » Tue May 1, 2018 7:17 pm

I've seen plenty of mock drafts. I can't even recall seeing one where Bamba went Top 3. I usually see him projected somewhere between 5th and 7th. If the Mavs take him at #3, they will be reaching.

Given the choice between Bagley and Bamba, I'd go with Bagley. I'd prefer Jackson over those two though. And MPJ over all of them, but only if the Mavs' doctors feel good about his back.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,718

Post#698 » by Bob8 » Wed May 2, 2018 12:08 pm

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,115

Post#699 » by daoneandonly » Wed May 2, 2018 12:12 pm

haha, I actually did see this Bob. And I almost cried wondering what I did so bad to deserve these type of hardships/disappointments in life, when it rains it pours.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#700 » by Teffer10 » Wed May 2, 2018 4:29 pm

bran muffin wrote:

I've seen plenty of mock drafts. I can't even recall seeing one where Bamba went Top 3. I usually see him projected somewhere between 5th and 7th. If the Mavs take him at #3, they will be reaching.

I agree but listening to Skin you'd think Bamba is such a unique talent that he should be the top pick.
I'm not sure what is so great about him other than his ridiculous wing span.
Low motor bigs scare the hell out of me...especially in the current NBA.

Return to Dallas Mavericks