ImageImageImage

Who do you want the Mavs to draft in 2018?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Who's your 2018 ideal Maverick #1 pick?

Deandre Ayton
32%
Marvin Bagley
15%
Luka Doncic
38%
Mohammad Bammba
3%
Michael Porter
6%
Miles Bridges
No votes
Robert Williams
3%
Other (please state)
3%

Total votes: 34

Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Who do you want the Mavs to draft in 2018? 

Post#1 » by Roddy B for 3 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 8:12 am

For me, I think it is a 7 deep draft, as of right now.
Ayton
Doncic
Bagley
Porter
Bamba
Bridges
Williams

Is my order for right now, Bamba and Porter is close for me (probably UT fanhood showing)
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Re: Who do you want the Mavs to draft in 2018? 

Post#2 » by JamesConway » Thu Nov 9, 2017 8:58 am

Bridges and Williams are a tier or two below those other fives. You want one of Bamba/Ayton/Bagley/Doncic/Porter. If that's not in the cards for us after our 1-10 start then the season was a failure. These five kids are the big prizes of the draft bc they all are freaks/specimen in one way or another (phsically/athletically/skill-wise).

Bridges though has bad handles. Between him & Barnes neither one of them can run a PnR bc they are too robotic with the ball in their hands. That wouldn't get us far. Williams is a total non-shooter and undersized for an NBA Center at 6'9. Wingspan (7'4) is fun and all but he'd still not be more than a smallball-5 if he doesn't make a complete 180 and turns into a stretch four. He'd be our Marqueese Chriss. That's nothing to get excited about. He would always be massively undersized against the likes of Cousins, Jokic, Towns, Embiid, Gasol, etc) at the five. Besides he also just got suspended for a few games from Texas A&M for violating school policy and reportedly hasn't exactly shown great work ethic over the summer.

Getting one of those two instead of Doncic/Ayton/Bamba/Porter/Bagley would be like getting Ntilikina or Zach Collins instead of Dennis last summer. Not terrible value late in the lottery but clearly not the type of building block with elite upside we need right now.

We need a top 5 pick. That's all this season is about.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#3 » by Roddy B for 3 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 10:55 am

JamesConway wrote:Bridges and Williams are a tier or two below those other fives. You want one of Bamba/Ayton/Bagley/Doncic/Porter. If that's not in the cards for us after our 1-10 start then the season was a failure. These five kids are the big prizes of the draft bc they all are freaks/specimen in one way or another (phsically/athletically/skill-wise).

Bridges though has bad handles. Between him & Barnes neither one of them can run a PnR bc they are too robotic with the ball in their hands. That wouldn't get us far. Williams is a total non-shooter and undersized for an NBA Center at 6'9. Wingspan (7'4) is fun and all but he'd still not be more than a smallball-5 if he doesn't make a complete 180 and turns into a stretch four. He'd be our Marqueese Chriss. That's nothing to get excited about. He would always be massively undersized against the likes of Cousins, Jokic, Towns, Embiid, Gasol, etc) at the five. Besides he also just got suspended for a few games from Texas A&M for violating school policy and reportedly hasn't exactly shown great work ethic over the summer.

Getting one of those two instead of Doncic/Ayton/Bamba/Porter/Bagley would be like getting Ntilikina or Zach Collins instead of Dennis last summer. Not terrible value late in the lottery but clearly not the type of building block with elite upside we need right now.

You didn't answer the question..
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#4 » by agentofatlas » Thu Nov 9, 2017 10:57 am

Voted for Doncic. Primarily cause I like having multiple playmakers on the court at all times and him and DSJ gives the Mavs that.

Also solves our problem playmaking and shooting without sacrificing size. Gives us more versatility with lineups. I also feel that a quality wing player is quite rare nowadays and we can get bigs later on.

Lastly, I like his attitude in the court. Very fiery player.
JamesConway
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by JamesConway » Thu Nov 9, 2017 11:10 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
JamesConway wrote:Bridges and Williams are a tier or two below those other fives. You want one of Bamba/Ayton/Bagley/Doncic/Porter. If that's not in the cards for us after our 1-10 start then the season was a failure. These five kids are the big prizes of the draft bc they all are freaks/specimen in one way or another (phsically/athletically/skill-wise).

You didn't answer the question..

I don't have a clear preference/order yet, just a strong feeling that these five are the players to target.

The most I can come up with right now:

Top 3: Doncic, Porter and Ayton in no order
Nr 4: Bamba
Nr 5: Bagley

But that's mainly based on the fact that I'd prefer a wing/forward over a big if the talent is close in general. Outside of Doncic I haven't seen nearly enough from those other four guys.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#6 » by Darren » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:17 pm

Ayton as C / Bagley as PF
Potter as SG not SF
Bamba as C
Doncic as trade chip

I'd rather wait until 2019 draft to pick a SG and develop Clavell during the process. Between Ayton and Bagley, I have to look into details their intangible and intelligence to make the choice. Both are very good choice. As of now, I will pick Ayton (hoping to pair him with Porzingis in future or Cousins in free agency). Although I still wonder why Ayton isn't as impactful defensive (he seems to at wrong place when a rejection is needed), I still think highly of his upside. I think he might employ DRob/Olajuwon to mentor him. Bagley, meanwhile, is a stud. His athleticism is off the chart. He's much better than Blake Griffin. He runs and scores like a guard. That's a matchup nightmare to literally any team. Yet he can add a reliable jumper and some muscle to be effective defensively.

While Potter is still top talent, I am sketical about his potential on next level to play adequate defense. He's skinny in frame. I know he's an elite shooter which is what we needed going forward. I don't want to see him banging with PF at all. I would rather develop him as a SG. Let him use his size 6-10 with quick feet to dictate the matchup. Bamba is also a very fine choice. He's potentially a DJ with free throws. That's always servible commodity to any team. But he's currently 215 lbs. He's not as ready as 3 guys above. And given our failure history to bulk up guys, I would rather not taking the risk on that.

Doncic is so unathletic. I know he's intelligence and versatile. I seriously double he can handle one position effectively. And his lack of athleticism is a serious limitation if we need to compete against top-notch players among this league at 2/3. While someone even consider to draft him at 1, I would rather trade him for a sure young veteran we're interested in.

My plan:
C - Ayton (2018)
PF - Porzingis (FA)
SF - Barnes (current roster)
SG - Barrett (2019)
PG - Smith (2017)

I also have VC and one of DRob/Hakeem high on my wish list as coaching staff.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by agentofatlas » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:31 pm

Darren wrote:Ayton as C / Bagley as PF
Potter as SG not SF
Bamba as C
Doncic as trade chip

I'd rather wait until 2019 draft to pick a SG and develop Clavell during the process. Between Ayton and Bagley, I have to look into details their intangible and intelligence to make the choice. Both are very good choice. As of now, I will pick Ayton (hoping to pair him with Porzingis in future or Cousins in free agency). Although I still wonder why Ayton isn't as impactful defensive (he seems to at wrong place when a rejection is needed), I still think highly of his upside. I think he might employ DRob/Olajuwon to mentor him. Bagley, meanwhile, is a stud. His athleticism is off the chart. He's much better than Blake Griffin. He runs and scores like a guard. That's a matchup nightmare to literally any team. Yet he can add a reliable jumper and some muscle to be effective defensively.

While Potter is still top talent, I am sketical about his potential on next level to play adequate defense. He's skinny in frame. I know he's an elite shooter which is what we needed going forward. I don't want to see him banging with PF at all. I would rather develop him as a SG. Let him use his size 6-10 with quick feet to dictate the matchup. Bamba is also a very fine choice. He's potentially a DJ with free throws. That's always servible commodity to any team. But he's currently 215 lbs. He's not as ready as 3 guys above. And given our failure history to bulk up guys, I would rather not taking the risk on that.

Doncic is so unathletic. I know he's intelligence and versatile. I seriously double he can handle one position effectively. And his lack of athleticism is a serious limitation if we need to compete against top-notch players among this league at 2/3. While someone even consider to draft him at 1, I would rather trade him for a sure young veteran we're interested in.

My plan:
C - Ayton (2018)
PF - Porzingis (FA)
SF - Barnes (current roster)
SG - Barrett (2019)
PG - Smith (2017)

I also have VC and one of DRob/Hakeem high on my wish list as coaching staff.

So your whole plan hinges on Porzingis coming here? If that’s the case why not draft the one player actually friends with him.

As for Doncic’s athleticism, I think he’s the same athletic level as that of Fournier (in fact if you look his scouting report people were questioning his athletic ability as well), Devin Booker and the maybe RJ Barrett. Not really a vertical athlete like Dirk But he’s pretty fast going downhill with the ball and pretty agile when all things considered.

Ayton is great. Ceiling wise he’s probably the highest in the draft. Might be even Embiid tier. Perfectly happy if he’s number one.
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#8 » by Torgeir Bryn » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:54 pm

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#9 » by Pinkyring » Thu Nov 9, 2017 3:31 pm

I HAVENT SEEN ENOUGH OF THESE GUYS TO HAVE AN OPINON I WILL SAY I DONT WANT DONIC, DSJ CANT DEFEND AND NEVER WILL BE A DEFEND SO I WANT HIM SURROUNDED BY DEFENDERS OR GUYS WITH DEFENSIVE POTENTIAL, I WOULD PREFER A BIG WHO CAN REBOUND SCORE AND DEFEND, SEEMS LIKE AYTON FITS THAT MODE FROM WHAT IVE READ
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,013

Post#10 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:20 am

agentofatlas wrote:Voted for Doncic. Primarily cause I like having multiple playmakers on the court at all times and him and DSJ gives the Mavs that.

Also solves our problem playmaking and shooting without sacrificing size. Gives us more versatility with lineups. I also feel that a quality wing player is quite rare nowadays and we can get bigs later on.

Lastly, I like his attitude in the court. Very fiery player.

Couldn’t agree more. Plus his basketball IQ is off the charts. He’s not going to make dumb mistakes. Having him and Dennis on the team would all but eliminate the small ball because they’d be the two best ball handlers and decision makers on the team.

I️ would love for them to bring in a guy like Patrick Beverly in the off season. The bulk of the offense would come from Dennis, Doncic, and Barnes. They would need a bruiser at center though. Not Nerlens but a bruiser like Steven Adams. Finding that guy may lead into the following year though.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#11 » by Teffer10 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:53 pm

My order:
1. Ayton
2. Bagley
3. Bamba
4. Porter
5. Doncic

Porter got hurt in warmups and appears to be a soft player so he drastically moves down for me.
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Post#12 » by cmavswin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:25 am

My order is someone who can play any other position other than point guard and no undersized shooting guards.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#13 » by Mr B » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:10 am

Teffer10 wrote:My order:
1. Ayton
2. Bagley
3. Bamba
4. Porter
5. Doncic

Porter got hurt in warmups and appears to be a soft player so he drastically moves down for me.

Porter does get pushed around a lot. Doesn’t really look like a natural rebounder.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by agentofatlas » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:25 am

Looking at some Ayton film and I don't think he'll reach the offensive potential of either of Towns and Porzingis. I don't think he can create offense out on the three point line. He doesn't have the handles. Also his shot is flat.

Defesivley he'll do well due to his physical profile alone. Embiid is probably his best case but not as skilled or as smooth.

Bagley i'm intrigued by. He doesn't really have a defined skill set. Looks like Derrick Favors to me but admittedly I need to see more.

Porter I'm TBD. All i want to know is if he can create in close or tight spaces with his handles. If he can then he can play the 3 if not then he's more of a 4 ala Rashard Lewis.
JamesConway
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by JamesConway » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:49 pm

agentofatlas wrote:Bagley i'm intrigued by. He doesn't really have a defined skill set. Looks like Derrick Favors to me but admittedly I need to see more.

He's just a weirdo. If I'm as objective as I personally can be then I see a few things that I really dislike about him but the kid will be super-productive and the motor he plays with is just as impressive as it gets.

Really hard to put your mind around this guy. I kinda see why he has gotten all that insane hype ('best big since Anthony Davis') but are some concerns with him (lack of elite length for a 5, not as skilled on the perimeter as you want for a modern-day PF)

I'll probably go back and forth on him all year. But man, if he ever figures out the jumpshooting thing he's really a handful.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#16 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:08 pm

JamesConway wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:Bagley i'm intrigued by. He doesn't really have a defined skill set. Looks like Derrick Favors to me but admittedly I need to see more.

He's just a weirdo. If I'm as objective as I personally can be then I see a few things that I really dislike about him but the kid will be super-productive and the motor he plays with is just as impressive as it gets.

Really hard to put your mind around this guy. I kinda see why he has gotten all that insane hype ('best big since Anthony Davis') but are some concerns with him (lack of elite length for a 5, not as skilled on the perimeter as you want for a modern-day PF)

I'll probably go back and forth on him all year. But man, if he ever figures out the jumpshooting thing he's really a handful.

Yep, he is one of those players that you could fall in love with his potential. As of today, he’s risky but it will be interesting to see how he develops.

I really like Doncic, Bagley and Ayton right now. But I want to watch a lot more of all 5 of them. If we get any of those 5, I would be happy!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#17 » by arkuo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:12 pm

Any of the top 5 should be able to help the Mavs. But if we let Nerlens walk Im pretty sure we're gonna be drafting a big. Either Bamba or Ayton then. We dont want to play out a whole season with Dirk and Salah manning the 5 spot. Unless we're tanking again.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#18 » by Mr B » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
JamesConway wrote:

Yep, he is one of those players that you could fall in love with his potential. As of today, he’s risky but it will be interesting to see how he develops.

I really like Doncic, Bagley and Ayton right now. But I want to watch a lot more of all 5 of them. If we get any of those 5, I would be happy!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

That’s exactly how I️ feel. Doncic, Ayton, and Bagley are my top 3 (in that order). Any of the top 5 guys though would be a great addition to the team. And the Mavs may or may not end up with the #1 pick but they should absolutely end up with a top 5 pick.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by agentofatlas » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:53 am

So I’ve been hanging around the NBA draft board then consensus seems to be that Ayton will only be a serviceable rim protector not a dominant one. Points to his lacks of awareness and that quick jump to be one.

So with this in mind, what’s the point? Why take him in the first place? Cause like I said, offensively he won’t be Porzingis or Towns. If we are going to draft him it would would be because he would hope he would anchor the defense but looks like he has no instincts there. Can anyone chime in?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#20 » by Mr B » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:15 am

agentofatlas wrote:So I’ve been hanging around the NBA draft board then consensus seems to be that Ayton will only be a serviceable rim protector not a dominant one. Points to his lacks of awareness and that quick jump to be one.

So with this in mind, what’s the point? Why take him in the first place? Cause like I said, offensively he won’t be Porzingis or Towns. If we are going to draft him it would would be because he would hope he would anchor the defense but looks like he has no instincts there. Can anyone chime in?

Again for me Ayton has to keep up his current play for the whole season. I️ really want to see him dominate in college. I️ heard someone compare him to Patrick Ewing and I’d say that’s a good comparison for his style of play (from what I’ve seen). He definitely likes to play in the paint and uses his height well. He looks like a natural rebounder. He’s aggressive. He doesn’t get pushed around in the paint like Porter does. He might be more Dikembe (with decent offensive game).

Return to Dallas Mavericks