ImageImageImage

COULD POWELL BE POSITIVE VALUE?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

COULD POWELL BE POSITIVE VALUE? 

Post#1 » by Pinkyring » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:22 pm

bad contract, pointless contract, head scratching contract, think we would all agree on that, but lately he has looked like a good first big off the bench, last 10 he is getting 8 points 6 rebounds on 64% and 18mpg so if he were bumped up to 26 minutes I could see 12-8, would that be enough value to where he can maybe land us some expiring contracts
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Re: COULD POWELL BE POSITIVE VALUE? 

Post#2 » by Teffer10 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:56 pm

I honestly don't see us being able to move Powell without giving up another useful asset (Noel, Curry, Harris) or taking on another crappy contract. I still like the idea of Powell/Noel/Curry for Turner/Portland 1st or the same trio for Noah/NY 1st.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Fri Dec 8, 2017 10:09 pm

Powell, Noel, and Curry for Shumpert, Zizic, and a protected 1st would be really good for Dallas
FIRE JASON KIDD
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#4 » by HoopsMalone » Fri Dec 8, 2017 11:08 pm

Powell is an ANIMAL right now. Every Dallas game i watch there are about 8 "whoa who was that?!" moments per game and its always him.

Simply an amazing defensive player.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#5 » by Mr B » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:57 am

dirkforpres wrote:Powell, Noel, and Curry for Shumpert, Zizic, and a protected 1st would be really good for Dallas

Why would Cleveland’s pick need to be unprotected? I think they could get a better trade anyways from a team like the Lakers that might be willing to give up their 1st (and Deng’s contract) for an expiring Nerlens/McBob. Or a team like the Knicks giving up their 1st for Nerlens/McBob.
Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Post#6 » by Soupman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Could we package powell in a 3-way trade with the Cavs and LAC?

Mavs get Thompson.
LAC get Powell with Noel.
LAC get the net's 1st round pick
CLE get Deandre Jordan.

Mavs use their remaining cap space to get Mirotic.
LAC can then flip Noel for another 1st.
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Teffer10 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:30 pm

Mr B wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Powell, Noel, and Curry for Shumpert, Zizic, and a protected 1st would be really good for Dallas

Why would Cleveland’s pick need to be unprotected? I think they could get a better trade anyways from a team like the Lakers that might be willing to give up their 1st (and Deng’s contract) for an expiring Nerlens/McBob. Or a team like the Knicks giving up their 1st for Nerlens/McBob.

I don't think Lakers have a pick this year and I think we'd have to take on Noah for the Knicks to give up their pick which is something I would definitely consider.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Teffer10 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:52 pm

Soupman wrote:Could we package powell in a 3-way trade with the Cavs and LAC?

Mavs get Thompson.
CLE get Deandre Jordan.

I'd love to help facilitate a DJ trade but not sure I'd want Thompson coming back in the deal.

I wouldn't mind seeing these deals for the Mavs:

Powell/McBob for Noah/NY 1st
Matthews for Turner/Port 1st
Harris/Curry for Livingston/GSW 1st
Noel for Randle (I have a feeling this is a done deal)

Three first round picks and not giving up much in future assets.
Some garbage contracts but who cares when we aren't signing anyone soon anyway.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#10 » by Pinkyring » Thu Mar 1, 2018 8:22 pm

Powell is starting to impress me
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#11 » by Darren » Thu Mar 1, 2018 9:40 pm

Soupman wrote:Could we package powell in a 3-way trade with the Cavs and LAC?

Mavs get Thompson.
CLE get Deandre Jordan.

Thompson doesn't fit the timeline. And he's pretty one dimension player without much range. I don't think we trade for him. His contract should be bigger than Powell's.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#12 » by Mr B » Fri Mar 2, 2018 12:42 am

Pinkyring wrote:Powell is starting to impress me

He definitely seems like things are starting to click for him. The game has slowed down for him and he looks stronger. I’d honestly prefer to just keep him at this point.

His head still looks like it’s too small for his body though.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Teffer10 » Fri Mar 2, 2018 1:08 am

Mr B wrote:

He definitely seems like things are starting to click for him. The game has slowed down for him and he looks stronger. I’d honestly prefer to just keep him at this point.

I'm fine with Powell and Maxi but think one of them will be dealt in the off-season. It will depend on who we draft and pick up in the off season but I'd rather have a true young center or two on the roster next season.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#14 » by Pinkyring » Fri Mar 2, 2018 2:31 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I'm fine with Powell and Maxi but think one of them will be dealt in the off-season. It will depend on who we draft and pick up in the off season but I'd rather have a true young center or two on the roster next season.

Maxi isnt costing anything I'm ok with powell unless a better option comes
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#15 » by 2011Champs » Fri Mar 2, 2018 3:51 am

Powell has finally been earning his contract. He is a better version of Brandan Wright
Mr B
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mr B » Fri Mar 2, 2018 4:04 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Yea one will likely get traded. I’ve been impressed with Powell though this year. I think he’d be a pretty decent backup PF to whoever they draft (if they draft a PF). Hell he might even be a decent starting PF playing next to Bamba.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#17 » by Pinkyring » Fri Mar 2, 2018 3:19 pm

2011Champs wrote:Powell has finally been earning his contract. He is a better version of Brandan Wright

Yeah it's still a bad contract because we didn't have to pay much much, if he was a 6m per guy he might be very positive value, he's still neutral right now we could probably get an expiring but no point unless we just need the cap
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Teffer10 » Sat Mar 3, 2018 2:37 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Maxi isnt costing anything I'm ok with powell unless a better option comes

Exactly and that is why Maxi would be a nice sweetner in a deal and probably has the best trade value of all of our PFs.
We are loaded with role players at PF and hopefully we'll find a starting caliber PF in the off-season via draft, trade or FA thus making one of our PFs expendible. Maxi should be the odd man out imo.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#19 » by Darren » Sat Mar 3, 2018 6:26 am

If he's 22, yes. As of now, I don't think he's too valuable to rebuilding team or contending team. He's just a so-so role player. Surely, he's never as good a shot blocker as Brandan Wright. Offensively, he could have similar impact, though. Still, he's defensive liability on the defensive end.

Return to Dallas Mavericks