ImageImageImage

Dallas wants to trade Matthews for a #1?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Dallas wants to trade Matthews for a #1? 

Post#21 » by Pinkyring » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:46 pm

HMFFL wrote:At this point you ask for a first round pick for damn near every player we have so we can package it to move ourselves in position to draft Deandre Ayton.

We wouldn't have to do that if we'd just fire up the damn tank, no reason to be playing dirk in b2b and running out wes 35 mpg, trade salah, barea, and let the young guys plays, i think Powell has developed a little trade value so dump him too
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#22 » by Teffer10 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:33 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
HMFFL wrote:At this point you ask for a first round pick for damn near every player we have so we can package it to move ourselves in position to draft Deandre Ayton.

We wouldn't have to do that if we'd just fire up the damn tank, no reason to be playing dirk in b2b and running out wes 35 mpg, trade salah, barea, and let the young guys plays, i think Powell has developed a little trade value so dump him too

I actually see Powell finding his niche on this team as a long-term energy big off the bench and I'm perfectly fine with that. I see Maxi and Curry as pivotal players next season depending on our draft pick/s.

If we draft Bagley, Porter, Jackson, Knox or Carter I'd expect to see Maxi moved in the off-season.
If we draft Doncic, Young or Sexton I think either Curry or Yogi will be gone.
If we draft Ayton or Bamba there's a good chance we keep Maxi and try to resign Curry and Yogi and move on from Devin.

But in just about every scenario I see Powell as a fit as a nice rotation/role player for Rick.
About the only reason I could see moving him is if someone just wants him or in a package deal where we need his salary to yield a better asset.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#23 » by Pinkyring » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:35 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

I actually see Powell finding his niche on this team as a long-term energy big off the bench and I'm perfectly fine with that. I see Maxi and Curry as pivotal players next season depending on our draft pick/s.

If we draft Bagley, Porter, Jackson, Knox or Carter I'd expect to see Maxi moved in the off-season.
If we draft Ayton or Bamba there's a good chance we keep Maxi and try to resign Curry and Yogi and move on from Devin.

Either way I see Powell being a long-term fit in Rick's system.

You don't pay an energy big off the bench 10m when you dont even have starting bigs
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#24 » by Teffer10 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:47 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:We wouldn't have to do that if we'd just fire up the damn tank, no reason to be playing dirk in b2b and running out wes 35 mpg, trade salah, barea, and let the young guys plays, i think Powell has developed a little trade value so dump him too

Either way I see Powell being a long-term fit in Rick's system.

You don't pay an energy big off the bench 10m when you dont even have starting bigs

True but he is playing about at his value and right now he is one of only a few young bigs. And you have to factor Dirk playing limited minutes and taking a huge salary cut into the equation. Your typical energy big won't have the role that Powell will most likely have going forward.

But like I said, if we draft a better PF then I see Maxi being dealt before Powell because you won't have to send another asset with him like you probably would for Powell.
Powell has found his niche on this team and I just don't see Rick letting him go unless there is a deal out there for a bigger fish that we need his salary to get a deal done.

I just don't see the draft being as much of an impact on Powell as it will be on Maxi. I could be wrong but that is just my take.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,996

Post#25 » by HMFFL » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:00 am

Pinkyring wrote:

Dirk is just on cruise control until he decides to retire.
If he wanted to sit he can do it at the comfort of his home retired.
I agree that we need to move players but from Cubans standpoint it makes sense why he doesn't just trade talent away. Barea has a strong fan base, which is one reason why he's on the team, and the loyalty Cuban has for him after our championship win.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#26 » by Pinkyring » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 am

HMFFL wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

Dirk is just on cruise control until he decides to retire.
If he wanted to sit he can do it at the comfort of his home retired.
I agree that we need to move players but from Cubans standpoint it makes sense why he doesn't just trade talent away. Barea has a strong fan base, which is one reason why he's on the team, and the loyalty Cuban has for him after our championship win.

Loyalty only sounds good to say, if he had royalty he would have re signed him after the championship, im glad he didnt jj is my least favorite player
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#27 » by HMFFL » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:45 am

^
Trust me, I want him gone, too.
Cuban has received full value for the amount of JJ makes from a business standpoint.
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Post#28 » by cmavswin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:14 am

Pointguard01 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:Evan Turner and the Blazers 1st Top 20 protected for Wes?

Portland probably finishes with #22 at the worse and #19 at the best. Not sure that pick is worth taking on the extra year that Evan Turner has. Esp when Matthews is the better player. If Portland was going to finish #14-#16 range, I would strongly consider it. However, I Portland (esp with the Couins injury) will likely finish in the 20s and can't see that as a good deal for Dallas.

Dallas Mgmt wants to preserve their cap space so it means they'll trade Matthews for an equally valued contracts (2 years, overpaid player) but would take on a worse player (Iman Shumpert esque).

I dont think Dallas will see a better deal than Shumpert, Frye + CLE 1st for Matthews/Noel.

I think your dead on again PG01 would not be surprised if that Cle trade went down.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#29 » by daoneandonly » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:12 pm

cmavswin wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:Evan Turner and the Blazers 1st Top 20 protected for Wes?

Portland probably finishes with #22 at the worse and #19 at the best. Not sure that pick is worth taking on the extra year that Evan Turner has. Esp when Matthews is the better player. If Portland was going to finish #14-#16 range, I would strongly consider it. However, I Portland (esp with the Couins injury) will likely finish in the 20s and can't see that as a good deal for Dallas.

Dallas Mgmt wants to preserve their cap space so it means they'll trade Matthews for an equally valued contracts (2 years, overpaid player) but would take on a worse player (Iman Shumpert esque).

I dont think Dallas will see a better deal than Shumpert, Frye + CLE 1st for Matthews/Noel.

I think your dead on again PG01 would not be surprised if that Cle trade went down.

I'd love that trade, accomplishes everything we need. We break Matthews' contract down into two smaller peices, one that expires. Shump is actually a better fit with DSJ than Wes given he can dribble and facilitate at least at an average level, and we move on from Noel and get a pick for it.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#30 » by Teffer10 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:47 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
cmavswin wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:

I'd love that trade, accomplishes everything we need. We break Matthews' contract down into two smaller peices, one that expires. Shump is actually a better fit with DSJ than Wes given he can dribble and facilitate at least at an average level, and we move on from Noel and get a pick for it.

I love that trade too but not so sure Cavs would do it.
If Cavs are offering that package the Mavs better be jumping all over it.
But I'm thinking it would need to be Smith/Frye/1st to make salaries work and I'd still do that deal.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#31 » by 2011Champs » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:00 am

Matthews isn’t going anywhere. Other teams are smarter than to give a first for Wes. Mavs should learn from their mistakes and quit paying max salaries to mediocre players and develop a team and atmosphere where players simply desire to come to Dallas without having to be paid double their worth.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#32 » by fuller4379 » Fri Feb 2, 2018 2:28 am

There are only two players on the team that I value more than a number 1 pick - Barnes and Smith. I would trade other player on the team for a first round pick plus an expiring contract to match salaries.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#33 » by HMFFL » Fri Feb 2, 2018 5:54 am

fuller4379 wrote:There are only two players on the team that I value more than a number 1 pick - Barnes and Smith. I would trade other player on the team for a first round pick plus an expiring contract to match salaries.

How high of a first round draft pick does it take for you to trade Harrison Barnes?
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#34 » by dirkforpres » Fri Feb 2, 2018 6:24 am

HMFFL wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:There are only two players on the team that I value more than a number 1 pick - Barnes and Smith. I would trade other player on the team for a first round pick plus an expiring contract to match salaries.

How high of a first round draft pick does it take for you to trade Harrison Barnes?

Top 5 for me.
FIRE JASON KIDD
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#35 » by fuller4379 » Fri Feb 2, 2018 4:26 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

Top 5 for me.

Sounds about right, but no one will give up a top 5 for him. Any pick below 5 is a 50% or less chance of an upgrade from Barnes.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#36 » by 2011Champs » Fri Feb 2, 2018 6:02 pm

fuller4379 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

Top 5 for me.

Sounds about right, but no one will give up a top 5 for him. Any pick below 5 is a 50% or less chance of an upgrade from Barnes.

I’d do a top 15 pick for Barnes if expiring salary is coming back.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#37 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Feb 3, 2018 9:38 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

Top 5 for me.

If we could get something in the #6-#8 range, I would do it. Esp if that would mean a shot at Jaren Jackson Jr. (or Wendall Carter). Both of them seem to be really solid and could be steals in the mid-lottery. I just don't see a team that would want Harrison Barnes that currently is in that range. MAYBE Philly would want a proven scorer? But that's a HUGE reach and they can get a better player [..and contract] than Barnes.
dmakk
Sophomore
And1: 172

Post#38 » by dmakk » Sun Feb 4, 2018 5:03 pm

IMO, Wes Matthews alone can get you a late first. The trade I'd be interested in making is one for Terrance Ferguson, the 21st pick in 2017. If OKC doesn't believe Roberson makes a full recovery, the trade of Wes and Mejri for Ferguson, Roberson, and one of Abrines or Singler works. Ferguson and DSJ is a backcourt I'd love to see grow together.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,010

Post#39 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 4, 2018 7:10 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

Top 5 for me.

If we could get something in the #6-#8 range, I would do it. Esp if that would mean a shot at Jaren Jackson Jr. (or Wendall Carter). Both of them seem to be really solid and could be steals in the mid-lottery. I just don't see a team that would want Harrison Barnes that currently is in that range. MAYBE Philly would want a proven scorer? But that's a HUGE reach and they can get a better player [..and contract] than Barnes.

Jaren Jackson is now being projected into the top 5 and could go before both Porter and Bamba. I agree about Carter though. He’d be a perfect pick around 8.

Return to Dallas Mavericks