ImageImageImage

Off-season free agent targets

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Re: Off-season free agent targets 

Post#121 » by The Sparest » Sun Apr 8, 2018 6:06 am

ejs78 wrote:Dante Exum is getting better and better with the extra mins he is getting

Would take a look at him

If he is worth the money, Utah will definitely match. Which means if we make an offer they don't match, then the team that sees him everyday thinks we overpaid him. Kind of a catch 22.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#122 » by arkuo » Sun Apr 8, 2018 11:00 am

Exum is a good candidate for our SG spot after Wes vacates it. It's his lack of shooting that makes him a bad fit beside Dennis. Or maybe he gets out of his slump this year. Hope so?
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#123 » by ejs78 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 7:18 pm

Exum at this point of his career is a back up hybrid with a big wing span

Was looking more for his defense and then maybe run the point some/share ball with DSJ when mavs go smaller
arkuo
General Manager

Post#124 » by arkuo » Sun Apr 8, 2018 7:28 pm

I dont watch a lot of Pacer games. But when I saw Oladipo play, I could see the fit here beside Dennis. Leads the league in steals with a swagger like Jason Terry to boot. Same age as Barnes. I just dont know what it would take to get him or how Indy values him.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#125 » by 2011Champs » Sun Apr 8, 2018 10:05 pm

Rodney Hood should be a player we look at also especially if we can outbid Cleveland without overpaying?
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#126 » by Pinkyring » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:28 pm

No big money to role players no big money to role players
No big money to role players no big money to role players No big money to role players no big money to role players No big money to role players no big money to role players No big money to role players no big money to role players No big money to role players no big money to role players
Im sick of having bad contracts on the books for role players, wes, barnes, and almost noel, we need to quit doing that. Trade wes for dwight or sign favors 3/42 kcp 3/36 then draft some guys and maybe sign a reclamation project like okafor and continue to build. Let yogi and Doug walk i would however like to keep seth if its in the 3/12-15 range
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#127 » by Torgeir Bryn » Mon Apr 9, 2018 10:07 pm

arkuo wrote:I dont watch a lot of Pacer games. But when I saw Oladipo play, I could see the fit here beside Dennis. Leads the league in steals with a swagger like Jason Terry to boot. Same age as Barnes. I just dont know what it would take to get him or how Indy values him.

Of course he would be great, but I don't see how we can get him.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#128 » by Teffer10 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:46 am

Pinkyring wrote:No big money to role players no big money to role players
No big money to role players no big money to role players No big money to role players no big money to role players No big money to role players no big money to role players No big money to role players no big money to role players No big money to role players no big money to role players
Im sick of having bad contracts on the books for role players, wes, barnes, and almost noel, we need to quit doing that. Trade wes for dwight or sign favors 3/42 kcp 3/36 then draft some guys and maybe sign a reclamation project like okafor and continue to build. Let yogi and Doug walk i would however like to keep seth if its in the 3/12-15 range

Agree with most of this but I would like to resign Yogi depending on who we draft. If we draft Doncic then I'd be okay with letting Yogi walk and I don't think his market value will be outrageous this off season. Yogi is a decent career backup, and with DSJ's style of play that will most likely lead to injuries, I can see Yogi being a nice safety net to fill in as a starter.

I'm either way on Doug. If we can get him cheap he'd be a nice bench scorer to help stretch the floor. I do think there are other cheap options though if he wants too much. I'm beginning to really like Finney-Smith and think he can get a lot of the SF minutes behind Barnes going forward. I definitely want to re-sign him.

I'm with you on not overpaying role players. I'd much rather rebuild through the draft than commit over $50 mil to 3 guys (Wes, Powell and Barnes) who two at best are 6th men on a championship caliber team and the other has the ceiling of a 4th option on a championship caliber team.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#129 » by SOUNDCHASER » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:55 am

After this draft we will be penciling in someone at either the PF, C or SG. Someone who we will consider a cornerstone of the franchise to play with Barnes and Smith Jr. as the core of this team.

To completely add the other areas of need we will do the following
Scenario 1
if the pick is a 4 then we will need to target centers and shooting guards in order
Porter, JJJ, Bagley. None of these guys are guaranteed to be superstars and I would rather add Ayton or Doncic so we do get one of the better players and I doubt that happens so we will probably be choosing from one of these 3 or Bomba if odds play out and we get the 3rd or 4th pick. Yeah go ahead and dream of the 1st and Ayton or the second with Doncic there to take but the issue of ping pall balls not falling our way is also an issue. I understand most of us just want to avoid thinking of what if we end up with the 6th pick, as then we lose the benefit of picking which of these players is to be our guy.

Centers and shooting guards in free agency are one way of addressing the need to add a 5 or a 2 and or we could use a 2nd round pick or trade for a higher pick and use a late first rounder or a combo of these options. The draft has some nice centers that might be available in the late first or early second round.

Scenario 2
If the team picks a 5 then we will need to target power forwards and shooting guards.
Ayton or Bamba Ayton is the lock at being a star IMHO. Bamba is a guy who will need to fill out first.

and in Scenario 3
The team picks Doncic then we need to add bigs at the 4 and 5.

Lots of 5's to attempt to sign from Len who will be fighting for playing time behind Ayton if they pick him and Cousins the injured one from the land of NO. Lot less good 4's but with the surprise package of 2 rookies contributing as well as Kleber and Motley it's my hope they both take a step up next season and develop into decent contributors to make that need less glaring while they take a lot of the pressure off Dirk and Powell. Dirk will be even less mobile so center duty is likely to be his main diet again. The 3 amigos at PF will then be able to show us more of what they can do in hopes of improving and I personally would rather use them in this capacity than overpay to add a PF who is smaller like the ones mentioned in certain circles. That three-headed monster may be our best option while we evaluate them and use our pick next offseason to address that issue again after next season. I say that thinking we will not be able to trade Powell because the MBT might like him now he has started to earn his pay somewhat.

I'd be happy adding a center in the draft with our later options if we added Doncic and then sign a leftover like Len when PHO lets him find a new home after they snag Ayton. Lots of powder to spend as we develop youth and assets to make trades with later on before the TDL. If this is the path taken, we could go after Randle or Gordon but are they just instant gratification for a desire to add a new guy that we would like for a while till we saw Kleber and Motley or even Powell start to perform as well or better.

Being patient to rebuild without getting trapped with mistakes is critical and another draft pick next season would solidify the rebuild and allow us to find a better option at the 4. Can our 3 amigos hold the fort till we find the next great PF? That is the question and I am one who thinks what we have could be better than the crop of available 4's that would come here to play for us next season.

Now adding a shooting guard that is a fit for a future core to a championship could be a bigger challenge so I am hoping we end up drafting Doncic that would solve that issue for a long time. Besides are we seeing many teams win championships that have great centers?

Ayton and Doncic top my list and if we had a chance to snag a free agent to add to our offseason improvement plan we could probably skate on adding a PF and just focus on getting another PG or center depending on what we drafted. Doncic with our core and our depth of power forwards might make it tempting for some special center to want to come play in Dallas. Add the PF later on or maybe we get lucky and at least one of our rookies or both develop more in their 2nd season.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#130 » by HMFFL » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:47 am

Torgeir Bryn wrote:
arkuo wrote:I dont watch a lot of Pacer games. But when I saw Oladipo play, I could see the fit here beside Dennis. Leads the league in steals with a swagger like Jason Terry to boot. Same age as Barnes. I just dont know what it would take to get him or how Indy values him.

Of course he would be great, but I don't see how we can get him.

Oladipo came out of a very weak draft.
He's worked hard to become he is today and I'm happy for him. The Pacers managed to get a player they can build around and hopefully they continue to do just that.
At this point he's probably very close to being untouchable.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#131 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:48 pm

2011Champs wrote:
The Sparest wrote:
Soupman wrote:Cousins is a max guy.

Agreed, but the injury worries me. And I doubt NOP will let him get away.

I want no part of Cousins. It was questionable if I wanted him pre injury...post injury it’s a no brainer to look elsewhere for roster improvement.

I wouldn’t even want him pre injury. Does anyone find it weird New Orleans went from a fringe playoff team to the 6th seed? They were better without him.

I get there are factors to that but this is another Carmelo Anthony situation. Great in theory but the guy isn’t a winner. Pray to god we pass on that. I think the Pelicans will make it easy on us.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Pointguard01
RealGM

Post#132 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:53 pm

Co-sign.

I would keep Doug, Seth or Yogi for the right number but it’s all less than 5mill per for each of them. Otherwise, let them walk. They would help make a great bench but you don’t overpay for role players (see Dwight Powell).

Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#133 » by Pinkyring » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:

Co-sign.

I would keep Doug, Seth or Yogi for the right number but it’s all less than 5mill per for each of them. Otherwise, let them walk. They would help make a great bench but you don’t overpay for role players (see Dwight Powell).

Id keep doug for 5m but I'm sure he gets more, yogi, no way, he is a third string pg I'd prefer to replace him with jevon carter in the second round
Pointguard01
RealGM

Post#134 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:00 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:

Co-sign.

Id keep doug for 5m but I'm sure he gets more, yogi, no way, he is a third string pg I'd prefer to replace him with jevon carter in the second round

Actually, I agree. I think I’m still thinking of Yogi from his rookie year but he doesn’t seem to impact the game.

I would keep Seth though for cheap. He easily could be signed for 3-million and could be a great 6th man type off the bench.

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#135 » by Mr B » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:29 pm

If the Mavs are able to walk away from this draft with Bagley and Diallo they will obviously need a center. I’m somewhat in agreement with not over paying guys like Nurkic or Capela, so would it be best to just resign Salah to a minimal contract and save the cap space for the trade deadline or for next off season?
arkuo
General Manager

Post#136 » by arkuo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:54 pm

Mr B wrote:If the Mavs are able to walk away from this draft with Bagley and Diallo they will obviously need a center. I’m somewhat in agreement with not over paying guys like Nurkic or Capela, so would it be best to just resign Salah to a minimal contract and save the cap space for the trade deadline or for next off season?

Im still hoping we can S&T Noel for someone like Hassan Whiteside or Deandre Jordan. We get a starting caliber center.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#137 » by arkuo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:01 pm

I think Doug would like to play more seasons with his buddy HB. And I think Carlisle's system can utilize him to his fullest. He's been a journeyman from Chicago to New York. But he's playing his best basketball here since the all star break if Im not mistaken.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#138 » by Pinkyring » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:17 am

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:If the Mavs are able to walk away from this draft with Bagley and Diallo they will obviously need a center. I’m somewhat in agreement with not over paying guys like Nurkic or Capela, so would it be best to just resign Salah to a minimal contract and save the cap space for the trade deadline or for next off season?

Im still hoping we can S&T Noel for someone like Hassan Whiteside or Deandre Jordan. We get a starting caliber center.

No and no, whiteside is a headcase and DJ is almost 30, just need to get back in the first and get Mitchell Robinson
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#139 » by dirkforpres » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:43 am

arkuo wrote:

Deandre and Noel are both free agents, so that S&T wouldn’t work... I think Matthews is more likely to be involved in a deal than Noel just cause of how attractive his contract becomes now that it’s an expiring... Plus, Noel is more than likely going to have to take a short prove-it deal from somewhere and no one will want to trade for a gamble like that. Whiteside and Winslow for Matthews and Barea is an idea I’ve floated around for a while now.. I still think that’s the best scenario
FIRE JASON KIDD
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#140 » by fuller4379 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:26 am

I just can’t see giving away max contract to Cousins. He is supposed to be an elite player but has never even played in a playoff game in 8 seasons. Also, he is coming off a major injury. We don’t need stats whores here.

Return to Dallas Mavericks