Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Re: Off-season free agent targets 

Post#221 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:38 am

HMFFL wrote:
Darren wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Does adding Cousins but trading Barnes really make sense?
I fail to understand why Mac fans believe Barnes is going to be out.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app

I think Doncic is at his best a SF. I doubt he's quick enough as a 2. And Barnes could opt out in a year and demand for a bigger deal. I am not a fan of this idea. If NOP's interested, I could see the Mavs move on. However, I am not surprised that the Mavs could offer Barnes and Smith for Porzingis in mid-season as well. But NYK has picked Knox at 9. I doubt they want a SF in return.
Come on, Darren.
NY won't accept that offer.

What's amusing is that if Porzingis was a possibility Maverick fans would be all for it. But, that's not the case with Cousins, who is the better player.

I want talent. We deserve it as fans! These dark days as a fan reminds me of the past. So, like I mentioned a couple of days ago, Cuban needs to be concerned about the support of the team, so he makes a huge trade to please fans. Let's see if he spends during free agency. Max offers need to fly like raining money at the strip club.

For me the achilles is a deal breaker. Also we will get to see KP play for a full season before having to make a decision if the he’s worth making an offer to. We won’t see Cousins until January at the earliest, maybe not until after the All Star Game. He wants a 5 year deal for max money. I don’t want them to pay him that much before seeing him play a full season, maybe not even then.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Off-season free agent targets 

Post#222 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:39 am

HMFFL wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Chandler's body is done.
Get over the past since he was key to our championship win.
Makes no sense for him to be a focal point. He'll sign with us once he's a free agent or ring chase. I doubt he ring chase since he's a strong family man and likes to stay put.

He isnt my preference but he is on an expiring im simply stating id rather that than committing big long term salary to role players
I fail to understand what's wrong with committing to young talent that 99% of the teams would max out?

Nobody expects Randle to leave LA anyway. He's a key fixture on that team. A brut that is needed.

What young talent are u inferring 99% of teams would max out?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Off-season free agent targets 

Post#223 » by HMFFL » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:41 am

Pinkyring wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:He isnt my preference but he is on an expiring im simply stating id rather that than committing big long term salary to role players
I fail to understand what's wrong with committing to young talent that 99% of the teams would max out?

Nobody expects Randle to leave LA anyway. He's a key fixture on that team. A brut that is needed.

Randle!
Aaron Gordon!
Etc!

Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#224 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:51 am

HMFFL wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
HMFFL wrote:I fail to understand what's wrong with committing to young talent that 99% of the teams would max out?

Randle!
Aaron Gordon!
Etc!

99% of the league wouldn't max those guys and we would be crazy to do either, id learn towards Gordon with this roster but frankly neither of those guys have shown to be impact players in terms of wins and loses and again we already have one of those in barnes we dont need a second
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#225 » by Torgeir Bryn » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:08 am

HMFFL wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
HMFFL wrote:I fail to understand what's wrong with committing to young talent that 99% of the teams would max out?

Randle!
Aaron Gordon!
Etc!

I don't think any team is going to max out Randle.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#226 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:24 am

At this point do we consider signing Jabari Parker apart from a C? Im thinking Nurkic over Cousins.

C - Nurkic
PF - Parker
SF - Barnes
SG - Doncic
PG - Smith Jr.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#227 » by JamesConway » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:41 am

Looks like Devin will be back:

Donnie Nelson: "Guys like JJ Barea and Devin Harris will push Luka in practice"

Read on Twitter

Via Isaac Harris at minute 21:10. Donnie said it at last night's presser.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#228 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:45 am

JamesConway wrote:Looks like Devin will be back:

Read on Twitter

No shocker there,a nd then why exactly did we draft Brunson? So RC can continue his infatuation with small ball? Look for Luka at Center
arkuo
General Manager

Post#229 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:25 pm

daoneandonly wrote:

Read on Twitter

No shocker there,a nd then why exactly did we draft Brunson? So RC can continue his infatuation with small ball? Look for Luka at Center

I think one is a Nelson pick (Doncic). One is a Carlisle pick (Brunson). Its a bit tough when a lot of people have a say.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#230 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:09 pm

arkuo wrote:At this point do we consider signing Jabari Parker apart from a C? Im thinking Nurkic over Cousins.

C - Nurkic
PF - Parker
SF - Barnes
SG - Doncic
PG - Smith Jr.

I would absolutely take Nurkic over Cousins. I wouldn’t want to pay either max money though.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#231 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:10 pm

Read on Twitter

He clarified that this morning. Mark wants Devin back as part of the coaching staff or front office.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#232 » by Roddy B for 3 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:13 pm

I think Jabari Parker is a better fit for us now.

DSJ = scorer / primary or secondary playmaker
Doncic = off ball facilitater / shooter / primary playmaker / scorer
Parker = scorer
HB = role he played for the 73 win Warriors
Center = defensive anchor / 9+ RPG guy / floor stretcher (these guys are rare but becoming more and more common)
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#233 » by Darren » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:38 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:I think Jabari Parker is a better fit for us now.

DSJ = scorer / primary or secondary playmaker
Doncic = off ball facilitater / shooter / primary playmaker / scorer
Parker = scorer
HB = role he played for the 73 win Warriors
Center = defensive anchor / 9+ RPG guy / floor stretcher (these guys are rare but becoming more and more common)

As both Smith and Doncic are poor defender and somehow non-shooter, I think we need 2 Mikal Bridge (1 at PF/SF Ariza/Batum-mode; 1 at SG/PG Bridge-mode) to start alongside them. Among all skills, shooting, quickness, off-ball movement, layups and defense are great quality. Technically, this is like Houston's setup (Ariza and Tucker) last playoff. More ridiculously, given the current competitiveness in the West. We can't afford signing anyone to big money not getting the job done. Or else, we've to wait 4 years after 4 years (on contract terms). So I am actually against signing Randle, Gordon or Parker to big money. Among those 3, only Randle can offer some defense. As a center, he's far from ideal limited by his physical size. It is less risky to gather seconders at 30-50 range to try somebody out. From this draft, some potentially good 3D players are picked at 40-48 range. I hope we can at least get one. If our plan is for Porzingis, I think it's wise to gather a lot of prospects. Barring some injury problems, the Mavs could have combined Smith and some young prospects to get him. Anyway, the draft have finished.

Signing 3D player without the core skills to big contract (i.e. Barnes) doesn't help. In two seasons, he's still lack a reliable three point shots and elite defense. Looking at the number, you'll see some clues. Otto Porter, for example, shoots 44% from 3-pt line and get nearly 2.0 steals per game. And obviously, Barnes does not defend PF as good as Porter. I then think it's better to build around draft picks under the hard cap. You know good players won't head elsewhere in RFA. Bad players on big payday might not improve as expected. Indeed, McDermott fit the 3D style of play better than Barnes for not even one-third of his contract coming offseason.

I surely hope Dorian Finney-Smith to be something. But so far, he's nothing more than an energy guy. He plays good defense. However, he's nearly a total liability on the offensive end. Under this type of experience, we can let go more easily than handing in big prospect. If our plan is for free agents, we'll better operate two ways. First, trade for soon-to-be-RFA player and match the offer. Second, look at disgruntled-but-talented player and accomodate them into the mix.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,314

Post#234 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:53 pm

So i know the mavs want to get back to competing as soon as possible, but i fear they may make a rash decision in throwing a lot of money at someone when waiting one more season to develop and see what's out there would make more sense.

I know people are pretty split on cousins. That achilles injury is such a bitch to come back from, and we haven't really even seen it with bigs much. Need to take some time to process everything, but again i fear they rush into a big signing.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#235 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:So i know the mavs want to get back to competing as soon as possible, but i fear they may make a rash decision in throwing a lot of money at someone when waiting one more season to develop and see what's out there would make more sense.

I know people are pretty split on cousins. That achilles injury is such a bitch to come back from, and we haven't really even seen it with bigs much. Need to take some time to process everything, but again i fear they rush into a big signing.

I see Capela as a better fit. Capela scored off a lot of lobs from CP3 and Harden. Something which DSJ and Doncic can replicate here.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,314

Post#236 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:09 pm

arkuo wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:So i know the mavs want to get back to competing as soon as possible, but i fear they may make a rash decision in throwing a lot of money at someone when waiting one more season to develop and see what's out there would make more sense.

I see Capela as a better fit. Capela scored off a lot of lobs from CP3 and Harden. Something which DSJ and Doncic can replicate here.

Capela is definitely interesting at only 24 years old and would be a good fit with what smith/doncic can do. Does anyone know what salary structure he's eligible for at this point?
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#237 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:00 pm

Im really hoping we just go ahead and opt of bigs in free agency and trade wes and Powell for whiteside, that adds 17m to our 19 20 cap but hey we still have 2 starters on rookie deals and hopefully a cheaper barnes
Mr B
RealGM

Post#238 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:35 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Capela is definitely interesting at only 24 years old and would be a good fit with what smith/doncic can do. Does anyone know what salary structure he's eligible for at this point?

Not sure about his salary structure but I would expect Houston to match any deal he’s offered. That’s unless they have legit plans to go after Labron or Paul George. They have to resign Chris Paul and he’s eligible for the super max which will pay him $35 mil a year over the next 5 years. They will be paying him almost $40 mil when he’s 40 years old.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#239 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:36 am

Pinkyring wrote:Im really hoping we just go ahead and opt of bigs in free agency and trade wes and Powell for whiteside, that adds 17m to our 19 20 cap but hey we still have 2 starters on rookie deals and hopefully a cheaper barnes

I would rather do that than sign Cousins. I honestly would rather trade for Deandre Jordan after he opts in to the final year of his contract. Worst case scenario he’d be a $25 mil expiring contract that could be traded at the deadline.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#240 » by Pinkyring » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:40 am

Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Im really hoping we just go ahead and opt of bigs in free agency and trade wes and Powell for whiteside, that adds 17m to our 19 20 cap but hey we still have 2 starters on rookie deals and hopefully a cheaper barnes

I would rather do that than sign Cousins. I honestly would rather trade for Deandre Jordan after he opts in to the final year of his contract. Worst case scenario he’d be a $25 mil expiring contract that could be traded at the deadline.

Depends on what the clips want if its powell or pure cap sure i aint giving no picks tho

Return to Dallas Mavericks