ImageImageImage

Do we clear cap space to sign Julius Randle or Aaron Gordon?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Do we clear cap space to sign Julius Randle or Aaron Gordon? 

Post#1 » by Soupman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Do we clear cap space to sign restricted free agents Julius Randle or Aaron Gordon?
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Re: Do we clear cap space to sign Julius Randle or Aaron Gordon? 

Post#2 » by Mr B » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Soupman wrote:Do we clear cap space to sign restricted free agents Julius Randle or Aaron Gordon?

They should already have the cap space to sign one of them as it is. We have to wait until the draft is over though to see if they draft a PF. If they do there is no need to make a run at Randle or Gordon. If they draft a PF I believe they will look to sign either Capela or Nurkic. Then they will use Wes and JJ’s expiring contracts to obtain another young player or draft pick at the trade deadline.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#3 » by Darren » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:05 pm

If we have to clear cap space, it's likely for neither but Cousins. For the same amount of money, we're better off making an offer to Klay.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#4 » by Mr B » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:59 pm

Darren wrote:If we have to clear cap space, it's likely for neither but Cousins. For the same amount of money, we're better off making an offer to Klay.

Klay is not a FA until the Summer of 2019 correct? I think he means clear space for this off season.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#5 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:27 am

If we signed a Randle how long would it be before we were saying let's trade him because one or more of Powell, Motley and Kleber start to play just as well or better?
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#6 » by 2011Champs » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:04 pm

Darren wrote:If we have to clear cap space, it's likely for neither but Cousins. For the same amount of money, we're better off making an offer to Klay.

We aren’t going after Cousins.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#7 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:31 am

2011Champs wrote:

Cousins really makes no sense age wise, health wise, or money wise. This off season this team really needs to be looking to sign players 25 years or younger and who are healthy.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#8 » by The Sparest » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:40 am

Mr B wrote: This off season this team really needs to be looking to sign players 25 years or younger and who are healthy.

This right here. We need to find 3 or 4 young guys who we can pay reasonable money to and develop next season. That way next year when we head into FA with big money, this will be an attractive destination for a player who wants to win.

I would make a nice offer to Capela early, just to see if Houston blinks, but after that I would focus on the lower price tag guys like Len, Hezonja, Jerami Grant, etc. Donnie has been good at finding the diamonds in the rough before with guys like JJ, Bass, Wright, and Aminu.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#9 » by 2011Champs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:46 pm

Mr B wrote:
2011Champs wrote:

Cousins really makes no sense age wise, health wise, or money wise. This off season this team really needs to be looking to sign players 25 years or younger and who are healthy.

It’s truthfully not an age thing for me. If we can sign some good healthy veterans for a playoff run next season I’m all for it. I think the “window “ thing is blown out of proportion.
Yeah I want a young core of Barnes and Smith Jr and our pick but I really just want the best talent possible surrounding them regardless to age. Dallas can replace those older veterans every few years if needed.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#10 » by Teffer10 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:47 pm

2011Champs wrote:
Mr B wrote:
2011Champs wrote:We aren’t going after Cousins.

It’s truthfully not an age thing for me. If we can sign some good healthy veterans for a playoff run next season I’m all for it. I think the “window “ thing is blown out of proportion.
Yeah I want a young core of Barnes and Smith Jr and our pick but I really just want the best talent possible surrounding them regardless to age. Dallas can replace those older veterans every few years if needed.

I think we all want the most talented team possible but have different ideas of getting there. We won't go far if Barnes is our best or 2nd best player so some feel it would make more sense to be patient and acquire players who are closer to DSJ's and this pick's age to begin the process.

I personally don't think we should be signing or trading for any players older than Barnes unless there are multiple players that are coming this way that are better than Barnes.
TBH, I'd actually consider trading Barnes for any lotto pick in this draft just to acquire another player to go with DSJ and whoever we pick with ours. Barnes will begin exiting his prime just as DSJ and this pick are entering prime so building around Barnes as a main piece doesn't seem wise.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#11 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:04 am

Teffer10 wrote:
2011Champs wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I think we all want the most talented team possible but have different ideas of getting there. We won't go far if Barnes is our best or 2nd best player so some feel it would make more sense to be patient and acquire players who are closer to DSJ's and this pick's age to begin the process.

I personally don't think we should be signing or trading for any players older than Barnes unless there are multiple players that are coming this way that are better than Barnes.
TBH, I'd actually consider trading Barnes for any lotto pick in this draft just to acquire another player to go with DSJ and whoever we pick with ours. Barnes will begin exiting his prime just as DSJ and this pick are entering prime so building around Barnes as a main piece doesn't seem wise.

I like Barnes but would prefer a wing that is more of a shooter. Someone in the McBuckets mold but obviously someone much better. I’d be open to trading Barnes for a mid/low lottery pick.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#12 » by arkuo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:28 pm

Mr B wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
2011Champs wrote:It’s truthfully not an age thing for me. If we can sign some good healthy veterans for a playoff run next season I’m all for it. I think the “window “ thing is blown out of proportion.

I like Barnes but would prefer a wing that is more of a shooter. Someone in the McBuckets mold but obviously someone much better. I’d be open to trading Barnes for a mid/low lottery pick.

I gotta a feeling Cuban has high hopes for HB. His improvement year on year is undeniable. I do think he has a ceiling. Has he reached it? Probably not yet. But if they were holding him out for a trade for someone, then it better be someone like Kawhi Leonard. And it works straight up. Paul George got traded for way less. I dont see Kawhi picking up more value given how his team held out. Some teams dont want the distraction. I think Cuban can handle those types.
Darren
RealGM

Post#13 » by Darren » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:59 pm

Sounds like either DMC or Ingram with Deng will lock into the Mavs roster.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249665/Pelicans-Have-Internally-Discussed-Offering-DeMarcus-Cousins-Short-Term-Deal

DMC is actually unrestricted. I don't expect Pelicians to talk through issue that way. As I mentioned earlier, Mirotic, who's much better shooter and tend to stay on the perimeter, fits AD much better. Davis has got all the spacing to take advantages of the mismatches. They're way over the cap and they've fully aware of the risks by maxing out DMC. I think DMC will move on from them. The Mavs is one of the few team that could offer him the max. So is LA. It seems unlike they can get Leonard for Ingram and Deng. (Pop has already objected to it) If they're in serious run for PG / Lebron, they could clear space for DMC. So we're likely taking Deng with Ingram or two firsts. At this point, it seems to me that Ingram is far more likely. Ingram hasn't proven enough to a max deal. But he may probably get it. Meanwhile, there's no guarantee in free agency. So LA won't risk two lottery picks to unload Deng.

A sign-and-trade is also possible with Wes Matthews on the table. However, I don't want to part with anything more valuable than 2019 GSW second rounder or 2023 MIA second rounder. They could get a servible veteran as an expiring contract after that. They could keep the cap rooms for AD and potentially players he would like to play alongside. I think it's still more likely we tender an offer to DMC than Randle. I expect Orlando to match Gordon's offer. So I am fine signing Cousins. He's 27-28, I don't think he's too old to build with. He's not Blake Griffins. He's far more talents and versatility. Potentially, we get a go-to option in DMC. I cannot say the same about Randle or Gordon. DMC could create more mismatches due to his versatility. He's legitimate as a go-to guy. At worst, his game is entertaining. Mark Cuban is fine selling more tickets or getting another top-5 pick in 2019. There're a lot of SGs on the top of the draft board by then.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#14 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:56 pm

Darren wrote:Sounds like either DMC or Ingram with Deng will lock into the Mavs roster.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249665/Pelicans-Have-Internally-Discussed-Offering-DeMarcus-Cousins-Short-Term-Deal

DMC is actually unrestricted. I don't expect Pelicians to talk through issue that way. As I mentioned earlier, Mirotic, who's much better shooter and tend to stay on the perimeter, fits AD much better. Davis has got all the spacing to take advantages of the mismatches. They're way over the cap and they've fully aware of the risks by maxing out DMC. I think DMC will move on from them. The Mavs is one of the few team that could offer him the max. So is LA. It seems unlike they can get Leonard for Ingram and Deng. (Pop has already objected to it) If they're in serious run for PG / Lebron, they could clear space for DMC. So we're likely taking Deng with Ingram or two firsts. At this point, it seems to me that Ingram is far more likely. Ingram hasn't proven enough to a max deal. But he may probably get it. Meanwhile, there's no guarantee in free agency. So LA won't risk two lottery picks to unload Deng.

A sign-and-trade is also possible with Wes Matthews on the table. However, I don't want to part with anything more valuable than 2019 GSW second rounder or 2023 MIA second rounder. They could get a servible veteran as an expiring contract after that. They could keep the cap rooms for AD and potentially players he would like to play alongside. I think it's still more likely we tender an offer to DMC than Randle. I expect Orlando to match Gordon's offer. So I am fine signing Cousins. He's 27-28, I don't think he's too old to build with. He's not Blake Griffins. He's far more talents and versatility. Potentially, we get a go-to option in DMC. I cannot say the same about Randle or Gordon. DMC could create more mismatches due to his versatility. He's legitimate as a go-to guy. At worst, his game is entertaining. Mark Cuban is fine selling more tickets or getting another top-5 pick in 2019. There're a lot of SGs on the top of the draft board by then.

C - Capela
PF - Jackson Jr
SF - Ingram
SG - Curry
PG - Dennis

Would need to find a trading partner for Barnes and would need more of a 3/D type at SG but not a bad starting lineup.
Darren
RealGM

Post#15 » by Darren » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:04 pm

Mr B wrote:
Darren wrote:Sounds like either DMC or Ingram with Deng will lock into the Mavs roster.

C - Capela
PF - Jackson Jr
SF - Ingram
SG - Curry
PG - Dennis

Would need to find a trading partner for Barnes and would need more of a 3/D type at SG but not a bad starting lineup.

The number doesn't work. We can't offer much to free agents after taking Deng. And I don't want Curry enough for the contract he might get elsewhere. I don't think Capela is available at ll. He's restricted. I think Dwight Howard is better possilibility. Meanwhile, I don't see Jackson worths a high draft pick. I see him being a 5 more than a 4. However, he doesn't have elite tools at 5 like Gobert. I don't think he gets drafted ahead of Bamba at all. I don't want him here. If he's the pick, we'd better sign-and-trade his right for an established young veteran like Drummond, Porzingis and so on. The aforementioned lineup doesn't work as well. I can't see RC withstanding a poor defensive lineup at 1-3. If it works at all, he'll put JJ, Yogi and Smith together. At least, all of them are capable PGs.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:21 pm

Darren wrote:
Mr B wrote:

C - Capela
PF - Jackson Jr
SF - Ingram
SG - Curry
PG - Dennis

The number doesn't work. We can't offer much to free agents after taking Deng. And I don't want Curry enough for the contract he might get elsewhere. I don't think Capela is available at ll. He's restricted. I think Dwight Howard is better possilibility. Meanwhile, I don't see Jackson worths a high draft pick. I see him being a 5 more than a 4. However, he doesn't have elite tools at 5 like Gobert. I don't think he gets drafted ahead of Bamba at all. I don't want him here. If he's the pick, we'd better sign-and-trade his right for an established young veteran like Drummond, Porzingis and so on. The aforementioned lineup doesn't work as well. I can't see RC withstanding a poor defensive lineup at 1-3. If it works at all, he'll put JJ, Yogi and Smith together. At least, all of them are capable PGs.

I was assuming that when taking on Deng that the main two contracts going to the Lakers would be Wes and JJ since they are both expiring. In reality it really doesn’t make sense why the Lakers would do this. They will likely just stretch Deng’s contract.

I mentioned JJJ because he might be a better fit with Ingram and Capela because he can stretch the floor. He’s a natural PF at 6’11” that could play some center but really is the prototypical PF in today’s NBA. Capela is restricted. He can be had if the Rockets do intend on going after Labron. The Mavs will have to make an offer really early though to force the Rockets hand.
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#17 » by 2011Champs » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:32 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
2011Champs wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Well, in a way that’s like while building the team around Dirk and not signing players older than him.

Again, the players we sign for next season will probably be gone in three or four seasons replaced with newer ones depending on what the core needs.

We don’t have to only find players that can be a Maverick for 12 seasons. We just need to find players that compliment Barnes, Pick and DSJ immediately. Not all roster acquisitions have to be forever.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#18 » by Teffer10 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:34 am

2011Champs wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
2011Champs wrote:It’s truthfully not an age thing for me. If we can sign some good healthy veterans for a playoff run next season I’m all for it. I think the “window “ thing is blown out of proportion.

Well, in a way that’s like while building the team around Dirk and not signing players older than him.

Again, the players we sign for next season will probably be gone in three or four seasons replaced with newer ones depending on what the core needs.

We don’t have to only find players that can be a Maverick for 12 seasons. We just need to find players that compliment Barnes, Pick and DSJ immediately. Not all roster acquisitions have to be forever.

I think it depends on how quickly you want to get back to the POs vs how high you want to go.

IMO it will be at least 4 years (and that is optimistic) before we are relevant as any type of contender so it would make more sense to me to take our time to load up with star potential players through the draft than quickly try to become a 6-8 seed ceiling team again.

I'm fine with adding Randle at the right price because of his age and potential upside but I'm not crazy about adding players Barnes' age and older to try to compete with teams like Houston and GSW that have proven star players in that same age range. I think the strategy should be to compete with the teams with younger stars and hopefully get lucky and attract one of them in FA when they get close to their prime with a nice core of young players already home grown and established.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#19 » by fuller4379 » Wed May 2, 2018 5:12 pm

I am fine with giving a offer to Randle in RFA. I don’t see anything else we can do with the cap room unless we get an asset to facilitate a move by George or James. Randle would probably be better than anyone else we can get. Smith, Barnes, Randle, and a top 5 pick would give this team great potential in the future.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#20 » by daoneandonly » Wed May 2, 2018 5:14 pm

Golden Rule: Always be leery of maxing out a guy who conveniently had his breakout year during a contact year

Return to Dallas Mavericks