Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Four potential Clint Capela landing spots in free agency 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Tue May 29, 2018 8:16 pm

Dallas Mavericks

A team who has been connected through reports to various impending free-agent big men, the Dallas Mavericks, could make a lot of sense as a Capela suitor this offseason.

On May 21, the Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor stated that Dallas could use their cap space to pursue three bigs in particular: Randle, DeMarcus Cousins and DeAndre Jordan. Though he didn’t mention Capela in his report, his name wouldn’t have been out of place with the aforementioned trio.

https://hoopshype.com/2018/05/28/clint-capela-houston-rockets-free-agency/

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Re: Four potential Clint Capela landing spots in free agency 

Post#2 » by Captain_Obvious » Tue May 29, 2018 8:47 pm

Surprised they don't list Atlanta.

I think the Rockets are committed to winning now, as they should, and will make a deal with Capela. Maybe he even gives them a small discount. Honestly, he shouldn't leave that situation unless they undervalue him in the negotiations.

For us, it really depends on the draft. Obviously, if we draft either JJJ or Bamba, we are not signing Capela to a max before we know what we have in our rookies.

If we however land Doncic (not going to happen, just for completeness) or MPJ, I think we are in the market for a center. I much rather sign Capela than Jordan. Cousins is really interesting.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#3 » by Pinkyring » Tue May 29, 2018 9:02 pm

Clint capela doesn't deserve a thread to himself why not put this in the off season thread
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,828

Post#4 » by dirkforpres » Tue May 29, 2018 9:45 pm

He would be a good fit, but I don't have any interest in Capela since he is an RFA. He will likely get a 100 million dollar deal. Not worth it in todays game. I would rather trade for Drummond
FIRE JASON KIDD
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: RE: Re: Four potential Clint Capela landing spots in free agency 

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Wed May 30, 2018 2:42 am

Pinkyring wrote:Clint capela doesn't deserve a thread to himself why not put this in the off season thread
Because that makes zero sense.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by HMFFL » Wed May 30, 2018 2:45 am

dirkforpres wrote:He would be a good fit, but I don't have any interest in Capela since he is an RFA. He will likely get a 100 million dollar deal. Not worth it in todays game. I would rather trade for Drummond
Max contracts has been the norm for awhile for talented RFA, so he's very much worth it for the productive he's shown, and his potential.
It's well known he's going to receive offers like that.

We would need to trade great deal of value for Drummond and the money owed to him is below. It's not an easy thing to accomplish.

2018-19: $25,434,263
2019-20: $27,093,019
2020-21: $28,751,775 {Player Option}

Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#7 » by Darren » Wed May 30, 2018 2:53 am

If Noel gets 17.5M per offer in 2017, Capela surely deserves more than that. But surely, Houston is forced to match. I could see a team offering him 24M per to dare him away from Houston. Either Pheonix or Sacremento, whichever team doesn't draft Ayton will do it. Houston could be forced to let Ariza walk by then. They should prioritize re-signing CP and Capela. I am keen on taking Anderson with 3 firsts. This time Houston has to pay for it to whatever team willing to take on him. I don't expect any team to settle with 2 firsts this time. Clearly, Houston cannot get to the same spot without Ariza.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#8 » by Pinkyring » Wed May 30, 2018 2:59 am

HMFFL wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Clint capela doesn't deserve a thread to himself why not put this in the off season thread

Yes it does there's a free agent thread and he's a free agent all this little sidebar threads just flood this team board for no reason
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Four potential Clint Capela landing spots in free agency 

Post#9 » by HMFFL » Wed May 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
HMFFL wrote:

Yes it does there's a free agent thread and he's a free agent all this little sidebar threads just flood this team board for no reason
I'd agree with you if our beloved Mavericks board had a high volume of traffic but it doesn't. One of the top free agents and big men does deserve his own thread on an article that mentions Dallas.

SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#10 » by SOUNDCHASER » Wed May 30, 2018 10:35 pm

we need a thread for each of the three needs that the Mavs have.
SG, PF and C

SG Wes and Seth were injured to such an extent that I cannot remember the last time that we went so long and missed that many games with no real quality talent at SG to start. Wes shot okay from the 3 point line and we know Curry can shoot as well. That issue is not the problem defense is the problem. DSJ is focused on developing into an offensive force so we need to balance the team with a great defender here, Smart from Boston is one popular solution I see people embracing. A lot of free agents could come here if the money dries up.

PF Powell was used at center a lot but he turned it on in the second half of the season and performed very nicely. Motley teased us all at the end of the season to dream about what might be possible. Kleber showed he has the ability to develop that could also provide the Mavs with performance well above the norm.

C Dirk has to play here behind whoever we sign in free agency. A draft pick needs to target a center so that we can develop someone young to be the backup. Dirk may miss games and we can't count on him to be injury free at his age. Cousins and Jordan are not the only decent centers in free agency but Cousins is going to eat up most if not all the cap room if we go for him. the amount of scoring he can contribute makes him the center to target if your last name is Cuban. To attract Cousins you need to draft one of MPJ, Bagley, JJJ, or Doncic. Bamba won't make that a good fit. With your 33rd pick you grab a SG and at 54 you target a center/ power forward. McCoy looks like he can shoot and he has 7'1" 255 size. He wont last that long and so I might want to go after him with 33.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#11 » by Pinkyring » Wed May 30, 2018 11:36 pm

Anything over 16m for capela is an overpay
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#12 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 1, 2018 1:32 am

Pinkyring wrote:Anything over 16m for capela is an overpay

That’s the way of the NBA. RFA get overpaid. Wes and Barnes are overpaid but their contracts haven’t crippled the team. Also it’s not like he wouldn’t fit extremely well with Dennis. If their plan is to go after Capela then I would not be shocked if their plan is to draft Porter. They’re going to need a dominant scorer if they sign Capela. Porter has a chance to develop in to that kind of player and would be a perfect fit next to Capela in the front court. They will need a wing that can shoot and score but they may not be able to get him until 2019.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#13 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jun 1, 2018 2:19 am

Mr B wrote:

That’s the way of the NBA. RFA get overpaid. Wes and Barnes are overpaid but their contracts haven’t crippled the team. Also it’s not like he wouldn’t fit extremely well with Dennis. If their plan is to go after Capela then I would not be shocked if their plan is to draft Porter. They’re going to need a dominant scorer if they sign Capela. Porter has a chance to develop in to that kind of player and would be a perfect fit next to Capela in the front court. They will need a wing that can shoot and score but they may not be able to get him until 2019.

Those deals haven't crippled us because we suck, if we were trying to contend they eould as would adding capela
Mr B
RealGM

Post#14 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 1, 2018 3:48 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Those deals haven't crippled us because we suck, if we were trying to contend they eould as would adding capela

We won’t be contending for at least 3-4 years. Even if they find a way to get close to the 8th seed it’s going to take time for this team to gel and get the chemistry right. Paying Capela is not going to cripple this team. By the time they are ready to make some noise in the playoffs his contract should be coming off the books.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#15 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jun 1, 2018 4:50 pm

Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:

We won’t be contending for at least 3-4 years. Even if they find a way to get close to the 8th seed it’s going to take time for this team to gel and get the chemistry right. Paying Capela is not going to cripple this team. By the time they are ready to make some noise in the playoffs his contract should be coming off the books.

Then why sign him, why max players when you're not contending that logic makes zero sense, we should be looking for bargains and stacking assets not wasting max money on role players
Mr B
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 1, 2018 5:16 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Those deals haven't crippled us because we suck, if we were trying to contend they eould as would adding capela

Then why sign him, why max players when you're not contending that logic makes zero sense, we should be looking for bargains and stacking assets not wasting max money on role players

Because he would be an asset. If you want good players you have to pay them. You’re not going to find a player of Capela’s caliber by searching for bargains. He’s a young elite level defensive center. You sign him so he can grow with Dennis and whoever they draft this year. He becomes part of the young core of this team. When his contract is up and the team is ready to contend you negotiate a better contract. Makes perfect sense.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#17 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jun 1, 2018 7:49 pm

Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Because he would be an asset. If you want good players you have to pay them. You’re not going to find a player of Capela’s caliber by searching for bargains. He’s a young elite level defensive center. You sign him so he can grow with Dennis and whoever they draft this year. He becomes part of the young core of this team. When his contract is up and the team is ready to contend you negotiate a better contract. Makes perfect sense.

Arole player on a max isnt an asset, its Harrison barnes 2.0 its stupid to pay role players big salaries unless they're missing piece to a contending puzzle, if you put capela on this team this season we are probably 3 or 4 wins better, just doesn't justify that money at all
Mr B
RealGM

Post#18 » by Mr B » Fri Jun 1, 2018 9:50 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Then why sign him, why max players when you're not contending that logic makes zero sense, we should be looking for bargains and stacking assets not wasting max money on role players

Arole player on a max isnt an asset, its Harrison barnes 2.0 its stupid to pay role players big salaries unless they're missing piece to a contending puzzle, if you put capela on this team this season we are probably 3 or 4 wins better, just doesn't justify that money at all

I agree, you put him on this team right now he may get you 4 wins. However you let him grow with this team for 4-5 years and he becomes a major piece to a winning team, especially if they draft Porter. He would cover up for a lot of Porter’s weaknesses. He wouldn’t be a role player in the sense that McBuckets is a role player. It would be like adding a 25 year old Tyson Chandler. Capela is not even in his prime yet.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#19 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jun 1, 2018 10:40 pm

Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I agree, you put him on this team right now he may get you 4 wins. However you let him grow with this team for 4-5 years and he becomes a major piece to a winning team, especially if they draft Porter. He would cover up for a lot of Porter’s weaknesses. He wouldn’t be a role player in the sense that McBuckets is a role player. It would be like adding a 25 year old Tyson Chandler. Capela is not even in his prime yet.

Yeah well chandler only really matters if you have dirk and chandler never got a max deal either and was a better player
Mr B
RealGM

Post#20 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 2, 2018 1:03 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Arole player on a max isnt an asset, its Harrison barnes 2.0 its stupid to pay role players big salaries unless they're missing piece to a contending puzzle, if you put capela on this team this season we are probably 3 or 4 wins better, just doesn't justify that money at all

Yeah well chandler only really matters if you have dirk and chandler never got a max deal either and was a better player

I do agree that a player like Capela only makes sense or a significant impact if the Mavs have an elite scorer (preferably at the 4). If the Mavs end up drafting Doncic, Porter or Bagley I think Capela goes to the top of the Mavs wish list. Obviously if they end up drafting Bamba or Jackson then Capela makes no sense.

As for Tyson, I think if he were 25 and was a RFA in today’s NBA (and healthy) he absolutely would be commanding a max or near max contract.

Return to Dallas Mavericks