Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 2

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

thr3ep01nte4
Junior
And1: 150

Re: Luka Dončić Discussion 

Post#961 » by thr3ep01nte4 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:21 pm

burek3 wrote:
thr3ep01nte4 wrote:Bill Simmons and Zach Lowe mentioned in the newest BS podcast that Luka is in consideration for third team All-NBA as a guard.

Link for the ignorant, please?

https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/2019/1/16/18185064/hardens-tear-panic-buttons-and-midseason-all-nba-teams-with-zach-lowe

Around 50 mins in. It's little bit too crazy. I think he may get there next year, averaging 25+7+7, but not this year.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#962 » by HMFFL » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:29 am

'The Matador,' 'Wonder Boy': Cast your vote for the official nickname of Mavs rookie Luka Doncic

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2019/01/18/matador-wonder-boy-cast-vote-official-nickname-mavs-rookie-luka-doncic

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#963 » by burek3 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:11 am

Luka the Matador is like Harden the Swiss cheese.
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#964 » by BlueSan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:20 am

HMFFL wrote:'The Matador,' 'Wonder Boy': Cast your vote for the official nickname of Mavs rookie Luka Doncic

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2019/01/18/matador-wonder-boy-cast-vote-official-nickname-mavs-rookie-luka-doncic

hank you for being a patron of the SportsDay. Unfortunately, our site is unavailable to European Union visitors while we work with our partners to ensure your data is protected. We're committed to serving our communities and are eager to become technically compliant to provide award-winning journalism to all of our readers.

lol
Speadge
Junior
And1: 300

Post#965 » by Speadge » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:52 am

BlueSan wrote:
HMFFL wrote:'The Matador,' 'Wonder Boy': Cast your vote for the official nickname of Mavs rookie Luka Doncic

hank you for being a patron of the SportsDay. Unfortunately, our site is unavailable to European Union visitors while we work with our partners to ensure your data is protected. We're committed to serving our communities and are eager to become technically compliant to provide award-winning journalism to all of our readers.

lol

I got the same. The EU General Data Protection Regulation made some things just harder ... Most non-EU websites adapted to GDPR (data collection, cookie policy ...) while others, like this one, took easier path.

Enter URL into some webproxy, as example https://www.proxysite.com and pick US server to be able to read it.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#966 » by Jstock12 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:03 pm

Wonderboy is his only true nickname since his Real Madrid days. Matador just sucks on so many levels (the defensive matador, then there's the Spanish cultural stereotype, even though he's not even Spanish etc etc., seems like a diss to his Slovenian roots)
Sakkreth
Starter
And1: 3,404

Post#967 » by Sakkreth » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:41 pm

Dirk wrote:
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

burek3 wrote:Link for the ignorant, please?

I don't listen to Simmons, but click here or right click - save link.

Yeah better try not to cheat and leave the corner open when Luka is with the ball. It's the most efficient shot in basketball.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#968 » by Pointguard01 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:22 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
DrPampiloni wrote:I think we totally agree on Westrbrook.

The point about "We are not selling DSJ at his peak market value" still stands. Nevertheless, as I wrote before, if he wants out that's a moot point.

I disagree regrading the if he wants out, then we have to move him point. He's under contract. Sports teams make this mistake all the time. Especially on draft night. High profile player makes it very publicly known through his agent that if Team X selects him he will not sign with them. Kobe Bryant a perfect example. The New Jersey Nets wanted to draft him in 1996 with the 8th pick. Kobe's agent told them he wouldn't sign. They caved and took Kerry Kittles. The 76ers wanted to draft Kristaps Porzingis, but he wanted to play in New York (bet he wishes he had a do over on that one lol), so he wouldn't even workout for the Sixers. They caved and took Jahlil Okafor. It was rumored that Luka did not want to go to Sacramento, it was rumored his agent wouldn't provide medicals for the Kings. Same thing with Jaren Jackson Jr, and JJJ wouldn't work out for them either. Imo, taking Bagley was a mistake the Kings will regret for a long time.

If DSJ wants out, who cares? You tell him he's under contract. You put him in the lineup for his regular minutes, and you tell him if he pouts and acts like a child, then you wish him good luck when free agency comes around and his stat line reflects his poor attitude & play.

The Mavs hold all the cards here, not a 20 year old, 2nd year player. That's how the collective bargaining agreement works.

If they cave, it'll move the Mavs closer to an organization with the respect level of the Kings and not an organization with the respect level of the Spurs.

I think in today's game, there's a fine line. Players can look at how Dallas handles the situation (regardless of who is right) and a picture is painted about an organization. This is a no-win situation for Dallas.

I agree in general; I don't want to sell low on DSJ bc of the lack of other actual assets Dallas has right now. DSJ is our only real asset that we can leverage in a trade. I think other teams are playing hard-ball, but I still expect he'll be moved by the deadline.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#969 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:02 pm

It's only Wonder Boy. The Matador is horrific.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Speadge
Junior
And1: 300

Post#970 » by Speadge » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 pm

Wonderboy sounds nice, but problem with this nickname is that no matter how many wonders he will perfrom in future we won't be able to call him boy very long ... :wink:
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,052

Post#971 » by Dirk » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:57 pm

60/21/10
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#972 » by fuller4379 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:56 am

The NBA has never had a player like Luka before. :clap:

Read on Twitter
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#973 » by Dirk » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:41 am

Oscar9992 wrote:Luka gets Triple Double with 35 Pts... Suns, Kings & Hawks fans be like: "OMG he is peaking already!!!' LMAO!

Oscar.

Quoting you here since it seems I can't PM you.

That is not the sort of post that you should make on that Rookie Discussion topic. It just inflames people and brings the topic down.

And yeah, I know where you're coming from and agree with your premise. It really is hilarious, but let's try to not fall for the trap of just mocking/baiting others no matter how enticing it is.

LukaV wrote:A rough translation of Luka's interview with the Slovenian equivalent of BBC (national broadcasting service), available here https://www.rtvslo.si/sport/kosarka/doncic-ce-znas-igrati-kosarko-si-dober-tako-v-evropi-kot-v-nba/478074 .

You were asked several times how you adapted to playing in the NBA league. As you say, you didn't have problems with it, but nevertheless did you expect everything to go so quickly and that you'll fight your way to this position so soon?

I expected to get used to it quickly. It's true that I'm gettting to know the league better and better and I'm adjusting better. As I say, I knew I wouldn't have problems with it. In the end it's basketball. If you play it in Europe or in the USA, it's baskeball. If you know how to play basketball, you're good both in Europe and in the NBA. Everywhere. If not, you're not good anywhere.

The jump was probably easier now than it was when you joined Real Madrid's first team at the age of 16?

Of course. That was a lot more difficult at the time. Now I already knew I was capable of playing at this level. The main things is that I was really young back then. Now I've been through much already.

Nevertheless you mad a step forward and came into a new enviroment. What in the NBA surprised you or left a strong impression on you? Were you surprised by the rythm of the games? Although it was already hard in Europe, there are still more games and travel here.

I wasn't really surprised by anything. Even before, when I was still playing in Europe, I paid a lot of attention to the NBA and was expecting what awaited me here. It's true there's less training here. Certainly we trained more in Madrid. You have games all the time in the NBA. They follow in a tight schedule and if you have one bad game, you have another game in two days' time, at most three, and a chance to make it right. There's no pause here. You have to play 82 games and it's normal that there'll come bad games when you won't be playing well. Then you just have to work hard and focus on the next game that comes quickly.

Which team impressed you the most thus far and which player left the biggest impression on you? Is playing against such stars an extra factor of motivation?

There's a huge amount of good teams here and practically everyone can beat anyone. My task is to play every game the same, to give it my best and simply play basketball, regardless of the opponent. As for individual, I was impressed offensively by Kevin Durant and James Harden, they are truly remarkable on the attack.

You've mentioned two players that made the biggest impression on you offensively, but what about defensively, who caused you the most problems? Do you feel that you're already targeted harder by opponents? You've received quite a few hits in recent games.

I'd say Paul George and Jrue Holiday from New Orleans. I've received such hits before, so it's nothing new. It's also nothing special and I'm used to it from before. I think that yeah, all teams have good defensive players that constantly put a lot of pressure on you.

Many stars have said nothing but positive things about you. You're the topic of headlines of basketball and sport sites in Slovenia and the US. Do you follow everything that goes on?

I don't follow or read a lot of the media. I try to distance myself as much as possible from social media. I only have Instagram where I post photos. As for other basketball players I did catch some of what was said. Of course it's nice to hear those weirds, to be talked about like that by big baskteball names.

You fought yourself a leading role and a big trust by the coach and teammates. In clutch moments you're the one taking the responsibility and in those tense moments your shoot percentages ranks among the better in the league.

Of course the coach's trust means a lot to me. It's the same with my teammates and I hope it will continue to be like that. I have to justify that trust by playing well. Regarding the clutch shots it's what I love. I won't hesitate, I'll take those shots. I'm not afraid to take responsibility, but we do have a lot of quality players in the team that can successfully finish attacks in such clutch moments.

NBA isn't just about basketball, but the sports is also accompanied by a big show. Just the media attention is incredible. Especially for your, you always have a crowd of journalists waiting for you in the locker room. How are you getting used to this?

It was similar to this in Madrid, so I'm somewhat used to all this. Though there weren't so many journalists there as they are here, but that's just the way it is. After each game you have to answer a few questions and that's it.

One of the talking points of the league recently has been your ejection and punishment. How did you see everything?

Of course I didn't like what happened. It shouldn't have happened. It's bad for the team, for the player and for everyone. I'm glad it's all over and behind me. Those are the NBA rules and I respect them. I know I shouldn't have done that.

Are you aware of the euphoria caused by your games in Slovenia?
Yes, I do know that, I've been told. I really am grateful to all Slovenians for everything they're doing for me, for supporting me so. I'm really happy it's so. I know a lot of people get up during the nigh and watch the games. Truly incredible.

You left Ljubljana as very young and went to Madrid. Now a new relocation. How did you get used to living in the US?

Good. I think I've quite got used to it. It's not that special. Now it's like a sort of my home, but I'll be really happy to go to back to Slovenia.

How do you find Dallas? Did you have a chance to check it out?

I like Dallas. I've seen some of it, but not a lots, because I'm mostly at home, tired from the games, so I practically don't go around.

Looking back, receiving numerous awards, winning so many titles, being drafted and making a name for yourself in the NBA, can we name the year 2018 Luka's year?

Hm (laughter). Yes, it's truly been an incredible year and I definitely wish there were as many such years as possible in the future. Year 2018 was definitely a year I'll never forget.
Good read. Also post those sorts of things on the Mavs board if you can.

I've been very curious to get a good feel for how Slovenia has been following Luka's ascension to the top of the world.
60/21/10
Sakkreth
Starter
And1: 3,404

Post#974 » by Sakkreth » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:13 am

People saying that he's not an all-star :lol: :lol:
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#975 » by Dirk » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:53 am

Sakkreth wrote:People saying that he's not an all-star :lol: :lol:
Are you talking pre-draft/after the draft or does anyone say that now? From what I notice, there are only rare exceptions who continue to be in denial.

There is absolutely zero need to 'defend' this guy. His play does the talking pretty much every game...

60/21/10
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#976 » by burek3 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:29 am

Dirk wrote:there are only rare exceptions who continue to be in denial.

Hehe, Rashad Phillips :lol:
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#977 » by Dirk » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:07 pm

burek3 wrote:
Dirk wrote:there are only rare exceptions who continue to be in denial.

Hehe, Rashad Phillips :lol:

Oh boy, the internet is unforgiving. In his case, looking at his arrogance, he actually deserves to be mocked.

Some people are arrogant when they are not yet proven wrong (predictions) and then compound it by being arrogant after being proven wrong. This was a recent one apparently
Spoiler:

Amazing how some minds work and how hard they try to bend reality.

Luka je naš.
60/21/10
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,317

Post#978 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Read on Twitter

In breaking news, Luka is good at basketball.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#979 » by Dirk » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:29 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:What’s really striking is when he sets them up for alley oops off broken plays or half court sets where there’s barely room for a lob. His court awareness is just off the charts.

Look up on the thread. There are a few of those not so obvious lob attempts. Add those to the unlikely passes to the corner while jumping with three guys clinging on him.

Bobby Karalla's quality of life must have really improved. Now he'll just click and unearth yet another interesting stat to share, as opposed to the last couple of years where he'd have to do some digging.
60/21/10
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#980 » by fuller4379 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:00 pm

The Luka trade is already looking like the second best trade the Mavs ever made. The best was Tractor Trailer for Nowitzki and Garrity. Third best is Garrity for Nash. Basically, the Mavs got Nowitzki and Nash for Tractor Trailer.

Return to Dallas Mavericks