Jalen Brunson discussion

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,057

Re: Why TF did we draft brunson? 

Post#121 » by Dirk » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:35 pm

It sucks that both Mavs rookies are in their prime and hit their ceiling. I still take this though...
Gfycat Video - Click to Play
60/21/10
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#122 » by BlueSan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:38 pm

Hats off summaries him well!
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#123 » by JamesConway » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:50 pm

Read on Twitter
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#124 » by Pinkyring » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:22 pm

JamesConway wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah anyone with eyes could have seen that, thats why i had a problem with the pick, maybe it will work out now but when you draft a pg in the lotto and have no thought of moving on from your backup, why draft a third stringer?
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#125 » by Pointguard01 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:33 pm

I don't really understand the problem. Even if Barea was in the plans for this year and next, he is 34 years old. His time is running out and you eventually need a replacement. Whether Brunson was an immediate rotation player or moves into that in 2-years, its irrelevant. The Mavs thought he was the BPA and took him.

Look at some notable players who were drafted in similar draft ranges, and didn't play much their first two years:

(1) Pascal Siakam, 27th pick:
Year 1 >> 15 MPG, 55 GP
Year 2 >> 20 MPG, 80 GP

(2) Dejounte Murray, 29th pick:
Year 1 >> 8 MPG, 38 GP
Year 2 >> 20 MPG, 81 GP

(3) Montrezl Harrell
Year 1 >> 10 MPG, 39 GP
Year 2 >> 18 MPG, 58 GP

You can argue upside with these players, sure. But the idea that someone wouldn't play consistently in their first or second year doesn't limit them from being a good player.

Brunson has proven to be a good rotation player already IMO.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#126 » by Dirk » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:00 pm

60/21/10
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#127 » by fuller4379 » Sat Mar 2, 2019 7:48 pm

Here is where you can compare his stats to others in this rookie class.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2019_rookies.html
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#128 » by TKainZero » Tue Mar 5, 2019 2:04 am

Brunson needs to be Derek Fisher.

If Derek Fisher went to any other team, he doesn’t have a 17 year career. He was drafted the same year as Kobe. And fisher and Kobe always had great chemistry.

Brunson and Luka were drafted in the same class. Kobe and Luka are the generational young players and Fisher and Brunson are the ones who stayed with them.

I have seen similar games in them. The plus size at pg. being able to be fine off ball. Hitting 3’s.

It was immediate how Brunson just fit better with Luka than DSJ did with Luka.

Brunson has a long way to go. But he has a model he should follow. And he has a good chance to carve out a long career in the nba and along side Luka
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#129 » by ejs78 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:49 pm

After seeing him playing several times now does anyone else wish we took Mitchell Robinson over Brunson in rd 2?

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,830

Post#130 » by dirkforpres » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:51 pm

ejs78 wrote:After seeing him playing several times now does anyone else wish we took Mitchell Robinson over Brunson in rd 2?

how can you not feel that way? Every team should regret it
FIRE JASON KIDD
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#131 » by Captain_Obvious » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:42 am

ejs78 wrote:After seeing him playing several times now does anyone else wish we took Mitchell Robinson over Brunson in rd 2?

I'm very happy with Brunson but Mitchell would have been a better pick.

To clarify, I would be sad if we got an non-impact player with Mitchell on the board, i.e. choosing Shane f***ing Larkin over Giannis. A lot of teams messed up not picking Mitchell, I think Brunson would go earlier as well.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#132 » by Pinkyring » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:

I'm very happy with Brunson but Mitchell would have been a better pick.

To clarify, I would be sad if we got an non-impact player with Mitchell on the board, i.e. choosing Shane f***ing Larkin over Giannis. A lot of teams messed up not picking Mitchell, I think Brunson would go earlier as well.

Im cool with brunson, he is a backup pg which i still think is an unnecessary luxury for a team at the time that had 3 pgs, but had we drafted a Mitchell, im sure the Knicks would have demanded him in a kp trade anyway
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#133 » by arkuo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:42 pm

Brunson, post-DSJ, reminds me of how a young Chauncey Billups started out. Time will tell if he pans out the same way. He has the tools, moves the same way, and is in the right system to flourish.

If the Kemba Walker to Dallas is a no-go, then I can see him starting over JJ Barea.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#134 » by SOUNDCHASER » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:40 am

If Brunson is the starting PG next season with Kemba not coming here that will likely mean we signed a guy like Vucevic and I can live with that.

KP and LUKA are the main course but if we do get a decent free agent to come over and create a three headed beast to send fear throughout the league I am hoping it is a wing or a big man so we can see what Brunson develops into at PG.

Luka can play PG if need be so the risk is minimal if we pencil Brunson in as a starter.

Harris and JJB are still around and Burke is a decent enough 3rd string PG so if we do not draft anymore young PG's we are fairly well taken care of. I think you need veterans around your core and not a lot of rookies when you have a goal of competing instead of tanking.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#135 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 1, 2019 11:22 am

60/21/10
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#136 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 1, 2019 6:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#137 » by Dirk » Wed Apr 3, 2019 6:13 pm

I have seen a couple of discussions on Brunson, as well as some folks naming Dallas as potential suitors for Rubio, so how do people feel about Brunson as a starter and/or whether you'd go after a Rubio type.
JamesConway wrote:

LukaMagic wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Brunson is not a starter on a winning team, his offensive game does not make up for his piss poor D. And with Luka, you just cant win with both of them trying to guard people. Brunson is a fine bench player ala Barea, but nothing more

I don't agree with that.. But fine if that is what you believe.

The better question imo is, is there anyone better available in FA or via trade that won't kill our capspace? Because to be fair, we don't really need much out of starting PG position in terms of running the team and ISO plays. Beverly comes to mind, but he might be pricey and he is getting up there in age..

Subject: Possible Free Agent Destinations For Ricky Rubio?

LukaMagic wrote:What are you guys talking about? The Mavs have Brunson. He is a stud and a perfect PG next to Luka. I would just roll with him next season.. Makes no sense to spend money on 2nd tier PGs that won't move the needle. And it's also quite redundant to have ball dominant PG next to Luka.

I am not a fan of Rubio but I am curious to see if people see him as a good addition if he is available on the market on a 'good deal'.
60/21/10
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,037

Post#138 » by daoneandonly » Wed Apr 3, 2019 6:48 pm

Dirk wrote:I have seen a couple of discussions on Brunson, as well as some folks naming Dallas as potential suitors for Rubio, so how do people feel about Brunson as a starter and/or whether you'd go after a Rubio type.
JamesConway wrote:

LukaMagic wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Brunson is not a starter on a winning team, his offensive game does not make up for his piss poor D. And with Luka, you just cant win with both of them trying to guard people. Brunson is a fine bench player ala Barea, but nothing more

I don't agree with that.. But fine if that is what you believe.

The better question imo is, is there anyone better available in FA or via trade that won't kill our capspace? Because to be fair, we don't really need much out of starting PG position in terms of running the team and ISO plays. Beverly comes to mind, but he might be pricey and he is getting up there in age..

Subject: Possible Free Agent Destinations For Ricky Rubio?

LukaMagic wrote:What are you guys talking about? The Mavs have Brunson. He is a stud and a perfect PG next to Luka. I would just roll with him next season.. Makes no sense to spend money on 2nd tier PGs that won't move the needle. And it's also quite redundant to have ball dominant PG next to Luka.

I am not a fan of Rubio but I am curious to see if people see him as a good addition if he is available on the market on a 'good deal'.

I dont think either is the answer. Next to Luka, we need a Pat Beverly type guy, a guy who can spread the floor, be a secondary ball handler, and is a good defender. Brunson can't defend, and Rubio can't shoot, so both are poor fits.

I'd even go after Conley's inflated deal if we can lose THJ in the process
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#139 » by burek3 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 7:18 am

"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
zonedefense
Analyst
And1: 3,941

Post#140 » by zonedefense » Thu Apr 4, 2019 1:57 pm

If Mitchell Robinson was the home run in the second round. Brunson is at least a FG.
I still don´t see him as a starter and would prefer a better defender next to Luka but considering the fact that Devin is past it as a player and JJBs return is questionable the Mavs will need to replace at least 20-25 minutes in the guard rotation. He can easily take over for them.
It´s nice to have a player with a different skill set coming of the bench. Right now he still struggles to run the offense like JJB used to do but he can create his own shot of the dribble and has the old school midrange game that most modern guards lack.
Of course the Mavs still have the option to add another cheap PG in free agency. I am out on Burke but really interested in Joseph or McConnell if they are available for cheap.

Return to Dallas Mavericks