ImageImageImage

2018 Summer League Thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: 2018 Summer League Thread 

Post#61 » by arkuo » Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:06 am

Anyone else see John Collins 2.0 in Ray Spalding?
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,016

Post#62 » by Mr B » Mon Jul 9, 2018 6:23 am

arkuo wrote:Anyone else see John Collins 2.0 in Ray Spalding?

I totally disagree with all the Dennis and Brunson talk. I think both actually played well for a SL game.

I also think Spaulding had his moments. It’s going to take a couple of years like it’s taken Powell. I think he has the potential though. He made people notice him (in a good way).
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#63 » by J_T » Mon Jul 9, 2018 10:09 am

I thought Spalding was relatively fine. Brunson I thought had a bad game. The Bucks were applying a lot of pressure whenever he had the ball and they did it for a reason - it was producing results, consistently.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#64 » by fuller4379 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 5:23 pm

Finney Smith needs to shoot like yesterday every game.
J_T
Veteran

Post#65 » by J_T » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:06 am

Anyone knows why Dallas got the T in third quarter? I hate these "game analysts" - they don't follow the game at all, they just talk **** all the time, completely unrelated to the game. Are they actually being paid for this?
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#66 » by Pinkyring » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:45 am

J_T wrote:Anyone knows why Dallas got the T in third quarter? I hate these "game analysts" - they don't follow the game at all, they just talk **** all the time, completely unrelated to the game. Are they actually being paid for this?

U really care?
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#67 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:45 am

Brunson actually turned it on in this game and showed promise dishing out 8 assists. Kostas looked like a project worth giving a lot of time down in Frisco because he might just be something very special. if we don't give him a 2-way deal somebody else just might so he is worth that investment if you ask me. There is room to do it if we bring Motley up and use our 2 ways on Kostas and Ray who also impressed. Jones is a ball hog but he was hot and hitting his shot so that was a good thing. I'd try to tell him to play in Frisco and wait until the TDL so we can deal off Wes and then use that roster spot on him. Or not I'm lukewarm on the guy. The team played well and with a lot of effort tonight and I was impressed with a lot of the guys who won't be on the main roster.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#68 » by Pinkyring » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:26 am

SOUNDCHASER wrote:Brunson actually turned it on in this game and showed promise dishing out 8 assists. Kostas looked like a project worth giving a lot of time down in Frisco because he might just be something very special. if we don't give him a 2-way deal somebody else just might so he is worth that investment if you ask me. There is room to do it if we bring Motley up and use our 2 ways on Kostas and Ray who also impressed. Jones is a ball hog but he was hot and hitting his shot so that was a good thing. I'd try to tell him to play in Frisco and wait until the TDL so we can deal off Wes and then use that roster spot on him. Or not I'm lukewarm on the guy. The team played well and with a lot of effort tonight and I was impressed with a lot of the guys who won't be on the main roster.

Pretty much agree especially about jones, kid looks very talented but he doesn't pass at all
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#69 » by Pinkyring » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:28 am

I like how brunson made plays i love his vision, couple careless turnovers but think he could be a quality backup, i was and still am against him on this team because he aint taking barea minutes so either he wont play or we will be stuck looking at 2 small guard lineups for long stretches
J_T
Veteran

Post#70 » by J_T » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:55 am

Pinkyring wrote:
J_T wrote:Anyone knows why Dallas got the T in third quarter? I hate these "game analysts" - they don't follow the game at all, they just talk **** all the time, completely unrelated to the game. Are they actually being paid for this?

U really care?

Yeah, I really do. I want to know who did what there. I assume you don't have the answer or else you'd have provided one. Anyone else knows? Was it for Spalding throwing ball towards the official or did he say anything to the opponents...

This game was the most interesting one when it comes to seeing different solutions and trying new stuff. I wanted to see how Mitch Creek would do in a more important role. He describes himself as 3&D guy and claims he can defend 3 positions. His resume does have league MVP and Defensive player of the year award. It would be great if he worked out in the end, since the type of the player is actually needed.

Spalding was good and it will be interesting to see how Dallas chooses his development path. Brunson was a bit better, still a bit shaky, but it was his best game and flashes of why he was drafted were visible. Let me put it this way. If his name was Trae Young, there would have been 50 posts listing bunch of "positives" and "flashes" and "you can see he will ok" statements. Kostas is definitely worth investing in, he could actually be a very good defensive player.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,963

Post#71 » by Archx » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 am

Wasn't that the GSW coach who got the T? Or was that in the first half, can't remember now, was half asleep when i watched the game :D But if we are thinking about the same situation then it was because of arguing to the refs. But he just laughed it off, not a big deal.
J_T
Veteran

Post#72 » by J_T » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:22 am

Archx wrote:

Wasn't that the GSW coach who got the T? Or was that in the first half, can't remember now, was half asleep when i watched the game :D But if we are thinking about the same situation then it was because of arguing to the refs. But he just laughed it off, not a big deal.

Yeah, that one was clear, but there was another one against Dallas in third quarter. I saw Spalding throwing ball around after dunking before and I remember thinking I wished he wasn't doing it. Just leave it there. Dunk and forget. They did fix the play by play to clarify it was for delay of game so I'm assuming it really was for Spalding not learning from previous warning.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#73 » by Darren » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:17 am

Pinkyring wrote:
SOUNDCHASER wrote:Brunson actually turned it on in this game and showed promise dishing out 8 assists. Kostas looked like a project worth giving a lot of time down in Frisco because he might just be something very special. if we don't give him a 2-way deal somebody else just might so he is worth that investment if you ask me. There is room to do it if we bring Motley up and use our 2 ways on Kostas and Ray who also impressed. Jones is a ball hog but he was hot and hitting his shot so that was a good thing. I'd try to tell him to play in Frisco and wait until the TDL so we can deal off Wes and then use that roster spot on him. Or not I'm lukewarm on the guy. The team played well and with a lot of effort tonight and I was impressed with a lot of the guys who won't be on the main roster.

Pretty much agree especially about jones, kid looks very talented but he doesn't pass at all

Plus, he's a very good rebounder. He dives for lose balls a lot more than DFS.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#74 » by Teffer10 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:22 pm

Pinkyring wrote:I like how brunson made plays i love his vision, couple careless turnovers but think he could be a quality backup, i was and still am against him on this team because he aint taking barea minutes so either he wont play or we will be stuck looking at 2 small guard lineups for long stretches

I think there are several reasons why we might have taken Brunson.

1. Probably BPA at 33.
2. Insurance if someone offered Yogi a ridiculous contract, Barea's contract was needed in a trade, Seth moved on and/or DSJ gets injured.
3. Great fit and Carlisle type of player.
4. High BBIQ and great leadership skills.

I'm to the point where I don't want to see us drafting or trading for any potential knuckleheads that will reside in Carlisle's doghouse.
High BBIQs are the only ones Rick will play so we are just wasting our time, cap space and future assets going after guys who don't mentally fit Carlisle's system. Brunson is a perfect fit in that regard.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#75 » by The Moose » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:04 am

Whats the consensus on Mitch Creek for you guys?
Any chance he gets a 2 way contract?
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#76 » by The_Brecht » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 am

Has Lecomte a chance to make the team?
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#77 » by arkuo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:05 am

Dallas has one roster spot left open. That can be either be a G-League call up or for a 2 for 1 trade within the season. I prefer the young ones to spend a year with the G-League team to develop and use Wes Matthews for a 2 for 1 trade to fill out the bench, say, Vucevic + Joanathon Simmons.
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#78 » by burek3 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:11 am

Doncic will bring in Anthony Randolph.
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,963

Post#79 » by Archx » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:55 am

burek3 wrote:Doncic will bring in Anthony Randolph.

I really hope not lol... Tavares would be nice but then again, Mavs already have a promising big in Motley.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#80 » by arkuo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:02 pm

burek3 wrote:Doncic will bring in Anthony Randolph.

Lol no. There's a reason why Anthony Randolph is in Europe and not in the NBA. A platoon lineup for PF with Powell + Kleber + Barnes (occasionally) will suffice.

Return to Dallas Mavericks