Mavs 2018-19 Trades & Roster ideas 

Post#1 » by Lord Cuban » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:48 pm

Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: Mavs 2018-19 Trades & Roster ideas 

Post#2 » by arkuo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:58 pm

Here's an idea. DSJ for Jonathan Isaac? Who says no?
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#3 » by Lord Cuban » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:02 pm

arkuo wrote:Here's an idea. DSJ for Jonathan Isaac? Who says no?

I think the Mavs will say no... If DSJ don't show progress this season they can put him in a star our superstar trade proposal...
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,039

Post#4 » by daoneandonly » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:49 pm

WOuld the Jazz do Crowder for Powell?

The Jazz have enough depth at the wing with Mitchell and Ingles as starters, Royce, Thabo, Burks, Nieng on the bench. Powell gives them a 3rd big to relieve Rudy & Favors

For us, Crowder is a great compliment to Luka in that he is the size of a guard, but plays like a forward so he can play pf on offense, and guard the best perimeter wing.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#5 » by arkuo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:51 pm

daoneandonly wrote:WOuld the Jazz do Crowder for Powell?

The Jazz have enough depth at the wing with Mitchell and Ingles as starters, Royce, Thabo, Burks, Nieng on the bench. Powell gives them a 3rd big to relieve Rudy & Favors

For us, Crowder is a great compliment to Luka in that he is the size of a guard, but plays like a forward so he can play pf on offense, and guard the best perimeter wing.

I think Carlisle is hell bent on the Barnes at PF narrative. If we're getting new faces it will be to replace Wes at SG. Wayne Ellington, had he agreed to our deal, would have been a nice useful piece.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,979

Post#6 » by Archx » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:50 pm

Guys c'mon .. one game lol. What if both Luka & DSJ had a normal ( good ) shooting night? There is a very high chance Mavs would win easily and no one would be even thinking about trades. I said it a month ago, wait till' the mid of season then you can start thinking how to improve a whole roster. But besides shooting, they will have to learn how to close out games or even actually play great defense. So it's a work in progress and it doesn't mean that PHX are that much better, Booker really exploded and it was a good learning experience for the young guys.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#7 » by arkuo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:55 pm

Archx wrote:Guys c'mon .. one game lol. What if both Luka & DSJ had a normal ( good ) shooting night? There is a very high chance Mavs would win easily and no one would be even thinking about trades. I said it a month ago, wait till' the mid of season then you can start thinking how to improve a whole roster. But besides shooting, they will have to learn how to close out games or even actually play great defense. So it's a work in progress and it doesn't mean that PHX are that much better, Booker really exploded and it was a good learning experience for the young guys.

It was a fair question. Personally I prefer Isaac's upside. He moves more Durant like than say, Ingram. Ingram has a more polished offensive skillset though. way more polished. But in terms of movement, I'd say he's very KD-like.

Not to mention Orlando could really use a PG like Smith. They have Bamba, Isaac and Gordon there. Isaac could play PF here and Barnes slides back to SF, Luka to SG.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,979

Post#8 » by Archx » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:58 pm

arkuo wrote:
Archx wrote:Guys c'mon .. one game lol. What if both Luka & DSJ had a normal ( good ) shooting night? There is a very high chance Mavs would win easily and no one would be even thinking about trades. I said it a month ago, wait till' the mid of season then you can start thinking how to improve a whole roster. But besides shooting, they will have to learn how to close out games or even actually play great defense. So it's a work in progress and it doesn't mean that PHX are that much better, Booker really exploded and it was a good learning experience for the young guys.

It was a fair question. Personally I prefer Isaac's upside. He moves more Durant like than say, Ingram. Ingram has a more polished offensive skillset though. way more polished. But in terms of movement, I'd say he's very KD-like.

Yea ok but Luka needs DSJ more than you think. He can go full PG mode BUT DSJ is there to help him out when he gets tired or starts being pressured a lot. I still think this pair can be great but people get impatient so fast these days :P
arkuo
General Manager

Post#9 » by arkuo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:07 pm

Archx wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Yea ok but Luka needs DSJ more than you think. He can go full PG mode BUT DSJ is there to help him out when he gets tired or starts being pressured a lot. I still think this pair can be great but people get impatient so fast these days :P

More than being impatient I think 6'3 scoring guards are a dime a dozen compared to 6'11 guys who can move like they"re 6'5. There's lesser supply of those. But if the Mavs can have both then Im all for it. It was just a hypothetical question. Regardless of the outcome of today's game, I'd take the 6'11 guy almost everytime. Based on potential.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#10 » by 2011Champs » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:17 pm

arkuo wrote:

Not to mention Orlando could really use a PG like Smith. They have Bamba, Isaac and Gordon there. Isaac could play PF here and Barnes slides back to SF, Luka to SG.

I’d hate to give up on SmithJr. Coach just needs to figure out this new age of positionless basketball a bit.
I’m not super knowledgeable about Issac but 3-4 years from now doesn’t Kostas or Spaulding possibly have the same upside that Isaac would? Patience is key right now.

I’d really like to keep things together other than Wes Matthews. I’d trade his expiring if possible for maybe a salary dump and a pick if that option becomes available. Under no circumstance do I want to bring Wes back for much more than the vet minimum and a bench role.
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#11 » by Lord Cuban » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Read on Twitter
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#12 » by J_T » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:18 pm

Lord Cuban wrote:
Read on Twitter

What exactly would Dallas offer? I just don't see it.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#13 » by daoneandonly » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:27 pm

J_T wrote:
Lord Cuban wrote:
Read on Twitter

Me either, no way Dal should ever consider Luka or DSJ in a package. I'm even hesitant with barnes given butler's attitude concerns, though I may ultimately do it if that's all it took
arkuo
General Manager

Post#14 » by arkuo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Trading for Butler means we are ready to compete right this very moment. Which we are not. So I dont see it happening.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#15 » by Pointguard01 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:59 pm

I think we have to hold onto Dennis Smith Jr right now. So far this season, there are the same fears we had last year. He still is a below average finisher and hasn't showed progress on the jump shot. But, he is 20-years old. We've seen it before with Victor Olidipo amongst others that some players take time. I'm not sold on DSJ but not sure the return would be worth what he can still develop into 1.1 years into his career.

2011Champs wrote:
arkuo wrote:

I’d hate to give up on SmithJr. Coach just needs to figure out this new age of positionless basketball a bit.
I’m not super knowledgeable about Issac but 3-4 years from now doesn’t Kostas or Spaulding possibly have the same upside that Isaac would? Patience is key right now.

I’d really like to keep things together other than Wes Matthews. I’d trade his expiring if possible for maybe a salary dump and a pick if that option becomes available. Under no circumstance do I want to bring Wes back for much more than the vet minimum and a bench role.

Agreed. I would be fine to let him expire, and resign him as a DFS role. But the way DFS is playing (40% on 3s, solid defense), I dont think he is needed off the bench. I looked around for trade partners and I just don't see much opportunity. The better question will be if DFS continues to shoot 40%, does he deserve minutes over Wes Matthews. I'd like to see DFS get the match ups that Wes is getting and see how he fairs. Right now, he isn't guarding the main scorer most of the time so hard to say how his defense compares.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#16 » by Darren » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:08 pm

Who's struggling?
Wes Matthews
Dennis Smith
Jose Barea

Who's not?
DeAndre Jordan
Dwight Powell
Maxi Kleber
Luka Doncic

Who doesn't get minutes?
Ryan Broekhoff
Ray Spalding

Who's injure?
Dirk Nowitzki (only because of injury)
Harrison Barnes (because of injury as well)
Devin Harris (because of regression)

Who"s playing average?
Jalen Brunson

I think it takes time for everyone to adjust. Most players have to play different alongside Doncic. There're too many changing role except the rolling bigs.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#17 » by Teffer10 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:07 am

J_T wrote:
Lord Cuban wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not sure what Dallas would offer but it would probably take DSJ/Wes/Maxi for Butler or DSJ/Wes/Powell for Butler/Dieng to get it done.
I wouldn't do either deal and honestly I don't see Minny doing either one.

We probably offered Wes/Brunson or something ridiculous like that just to get our name in the mix.
mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,874

Post#18 » by mcmurphy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:59 am

Who would say no?

Dragic + 2 round pick for DSJ + Wes Matthews
mabundo_nagumbe
Junior
And1: 606

Post#19 » by mabundo_nagumbe » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:25 am

Hell no
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#20 » by daoneandonly » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:27 am

mcmurphy wrote:Who would say no?

Dragic + 2 round pick for DSJ + Wes Matthews

That's a horrible offer, what a joke, no reason for Dallas to even consider this.

Return to Dallas Mavericks