ImageImageImage

Mavs 2018-19 Trades & Roster ideas

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Re: Mavs 2018-19 Trades & Roster ideas 

Post#361 » by 2011Champs » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:43 am

I really don’t want to trade DSJ however I don’t want to make him untouchable like Roddy B was. Hopefully if these rumors are true Dallas gets a huge return.
Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Post#362 » by Thespianoid » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:51 am

I think the Mavs should have trialed a role change with DSJ for a longer sample size before fully diving into trading him.

have Luka be the primary PG when they share the floor, DSJ floor spacing and focusing on C&S/attacking closeouts with his speed, with maybe some secondary playmaking out of that. His C&S numbers are good, and closeout situations are a much simpler read to make than in the PnR, where change of pace and reading multiple defenders is paramount.

from what I saw the offensive issues stemmed from too much DHO/PnR action for Dennis, where he really struggled to make good reads and would stagnate possessions. would have liked to see how he fared when his responsibilities were simplified. and if he thrived in that role, then they could start upping his PnR/DHO usage again to diversify the offensive attack.
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#363 » by Captain_Obvious » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:58 am

I hope for Bridges (Bronson-connection), Issac, or Bamba
personanongrata
Junior
And1: 261

Post#364 » by personanongrata » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:08 am

Smart move by Dallas. If a player isn't a good fit, then it's time to move on. Not every draft pick works out.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#365 » by Imon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:11 am

I've always been hesitant about the Mavs trading DSJ because I don't think I'm as high on his trade value as others might be.
I really don't think the Mavs can get much in return for just DSJ - other things will have to be thrown into the trade agreement (future picks, taking on bad contracts, etc).

The Mavs and Suns have a long and interesting trade history so it doesn't surprise me that they're included here (that and they need a PG). Obviously, Ayton and Booker are not in the discussion so who does that leave? I really don't see a trade there unless the Sun and Mavs swap a package of players and in that case I'm really not sure if any side comes out the winner.

As for Orlando I think it would be interesting if the Magic would be willing to part with Vucevic. From what I've heard Vucevic may not be long for Orlando but I hope Donnie isn't going to give up picks for him since his contract ends this season without some idea of what to do in the future.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#366 » by ejs78 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:28 am

If DSJ goes to Orlando I would like to get Isaac in return. DSJ is a bad fit on Dallas & Isaac is a bad fit with Orlando. It could be because they don't have a pg, but they don't run any plays for him and have a clogged front court. The Magic could have DSJ, Gordon, and Bamba next year even if Vucevic walks.

Isaac's offensive game still really needs to develop, but he has shown he can knock down the 3 and is a pretty good defender.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#367 » by arkuo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:58 am

ejs78 wrote:If DSJ goes to Orlando I would like to get Isaac in return. DSJ is a bad fit on Dallas & Isaac is a bad fit with Orlando. It could be because they don't have a pg, but they don't run any plays for him and have a clogged front court. The Magic could have DSJ, Gordon, and Bamba next year even if Vucevic walks.

Isaac's offensive game still really needs to develop, but he has shown he can knock down the 3 and is a pretty good defender.

A 3&D point guard works best next to Luka. What I dont get is why DSJ cant mold himself in that role. Either he really wants out or he simply refuses to take that secondary role hanging out with Nerlens Noel too much last season.

On the flip side, Isaac is a risk too. Much like DSJ, who's future we couldnt guess, Isaac's game is very raw. So there's also a risk that Dallas has to shoulder there.

If it were on the table, I think Cuban does it. Straight up trade.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#368 » by dirkforpres » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:15 am

It’s smart of Dallas to understand early on that the Luka-DSJ combo isn’t a fit. If we can get J. Isaac I would be ecstatic, even if it meant we had to add a future protected first
FIRE JASON KIDD
arkuo
General Manager

Post#369 » by arkuo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:42 am

dirkforpres wrote:It’s smart of Dallas to understand early on that the Luka-DSJ combo isn’t a fit. If we can get J. Isaac I would be ecstatic, even if it meant we had to add a future protected first

Isaac as much of a risk he is (same with DSJ) may play better alongside Luka on P&R plays. If Isaac can stay healthy I think its worth the gamble.

DSJ + DFS for Isaac.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#370 » by dirkforpres » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:45 am

arkuo wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:It’s smart of Dallas to understand early on that the Luka-DSJ combo isn’t a fit. If we can get J. Isaac I would be ecstatic, even if it meant we had to add a future protected first

Isaac as much of a risk he is (same with DSJ) may play better alongside Luka on P&R plays. If Isaac can stay healthy I think its worth the gamble.

DSJ + DFS for Isaac.

Not sure I’d be willing to lose DFS. I would give them Matthews and take back Fournier... Maybe add a second rounder or 2. That is about as high as I would be willing to go
FIRE JASON KIDD
arkuo
General Manager

Post#371 » by arkuo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:33 am

dirkforpres wrote:
arkuo wrote:

DSJ + DFS for Isaac.

Not sure I’d be willing to lose DFS. I would give them Matthews and take back Fournier... Maybe add a second rounder or 2. That is about as high as I would be willing to go

I would agree. However DFS is also up for his new contract and may ask for more than what Cuban is willing to pay for. I'd just sign Aminu out right if that is the case than having DFS pout on the bench feeling short changed (like Nerlens Noel) and for the Mavs trading away his best bud (DSJ).
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#372 » by No-Man » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:15 pm

There is no way the Magic brass trades Isaac for DSJ, they drafted Isaac well ahead of Dennis and Dennis has lost some shine with the FO wanting to move on from him here in Dallas

Dennis doesn't carry that type of value, the more realistic trade is;

DSJ+Matthews+2nd round pick for Aaron Gordon

I'd be happy with that, love the Doncic-Gordon fit long-term (actually I have a few Kings' fans friends and thinking that they'd draft Luka I was telling them that if that were the case they should've signed Aaron last summer right after, so would be fun that the pairing ends up happening but in DAL) I wish they were smart enough to move Barnes also, but Cuban and Donnie love him as a culture-guy, which is fine I guess but he is damn overrated
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#373 » by Archx » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:45 pm

Fischella wrote:There is no way the Magic brass trades Isaac for DSJ, they drafted Isaac well ahead of Dennis and Dennis has lost some shine with the FO wanting to move on from him here in Dallas

I'd be happy with that, love the Doncic-Gordon fit long-term (actually I have a few Kings' fans friends and thinking that they'd draft Luka I was telling them that if that were the case they should've signed Aaron last summer right after, so would be fun that the pairing ends up happening but in DAL) I wish they were smart enough to move Barnes also, but Cuban and Donnie love him as a culture-guy, which is fine I guess but he is damn overrated

I really like this trade BUT don't get rid of Barnes. He is still one of the best spot up shooters. You can also trust him to make a bucket in the clutch if needed. Just don't let him dribble :lol:

But i think Luka likes Barnes, you can see he looks a lot for him and also most of his assists are to Barnes.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#374 » by No-Man » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:50 pm

I'd trade Barnes if I can get a 1st

There are a few trades out there for that purpose 100%, same with DAJ
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,031

Post#375 » by daoneandonly » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:20 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
arkuo wrote:

DSJ + DFS for Isaac.

Yea I wouldnt give up a future protected first or DFS in that swap. Maybe the latter if Orl gave up Wes Iwundu, but not sure what his value is or know much about him. If he's valued more than DFS, obviously not an option
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,031

Post#376 » by daoneandonly » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:22 pm

Fischella wrote:There is no way the Magic brass trades Isaac for DSJ, they drafted Isaac well ahead of Dennis and Dennis has lost some shine with the FO wanting to move on from him here in Dallas

Isnt Gordon a bit overrated as well though? He really hasnt shown much in 4+ years. The guy should be a Matrix clone, but he's far from it.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#377 » by dirkforpres » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:25 pm

daoneandonly wrote:

Isnt Gordon a bit overrated as well though? He really hasnt shown much in 4+ years. The guy should be a Matrix clone, but he's far from it.

In his defense, Orlando has had some terrible coaches and they’ve had a lot of bad luck with guys like Oladipo progressing after they leave... the same may or may not happen with Gordon too.. but Dallas should be calling off potential alone
FIRE JASON KIDD
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#378 » by 2011Champs » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:45 pm

I don’t think Orlando trades Issac, Gordon or Bamba for DSJ. Dallas would really have to sweeten the pot. We probably have to absorb Mosgov and give up some sort of pick.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#379 » by arkuo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:06 pm

If the offers are low Dallas just has to hang on to Dennis and make him a 3&D point guard. He's under team control for like 4 more years on a minimal rookie deal and he's only 21. What's the rush? Let the GSW window close and let others waste time and assets trying to compete for 2nd place. I dont see much upside to Orlando as they need another star or two before they cqn seriously compete. And if a star is planning to move to Florida, South Beach and Pat Riley tops the list before Disneyland. On the other hand Phoenix is hungry trying to get talent to surround Devin Booker in the West. Both teams have bad ownership to boot. Why help them out?

Although in Aaron Gordon's defense, if the Clippers decided to trade us Deandre for Matthews, then i could see us trying to sign Gordon with the money freed up. He made sense in the lineup as a PF.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#380 » by Teffer10 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:59 pm

arkuo wrote:If the offers are low Dallas just has to hang on to Dennis and make him a 3&D point guard. He's under team control for like 4 more years on a minimal rookie deal and he's only 21. What's the rush? Let the GSW window close and let others waste time and assets trying to compete for 2nd place. I dont see much upside to Orlando as they need another star or two before they cqn seriously compete. And if a star is planning to move to Florida, South Beach and Pat Riley tops the list before Disneyland. On the other hand Phoenix is hungry trying to get talent to surround Devin Booker in the West. Both teams have bad ownership to boot. Why help them out?

Although in Aaron Gordon's defense, if the Clippers decided to trade us Deandre for Matthews, then i could see us trying to sign Gordon with the money freed up. He made sense in the lineup as a PF.

The problem is that DSJ's attitude will probably suck and understandably so if we just keep him and force him to play a position he doesn't want.

Return to Dallas Mavericks