Mavs 2018-19 Trades & Roster ideas

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,036

Re: Mavs 2018-19 Trades & Roster ideas 

Post#421 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:55 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Apz wrote:Biggest worries for me for next season and actually the coming years are Center and SG, if we cant use DSJ as SG. Any ideas about that situation?

As I wrote in the above post, Im kinda all for pretty much a rebuild in some way with younger players around Luka. Thats why, and I amn not sure I really want this, but an option would be to do a Drummond/kennard trade for DJ/DSJ this tradewindow if we really dont think DSJ situation will work out. Sure, Drummond is overpayed, but if we dont plan using the cap for big signings the next few years he would fill the center role the way Rick wants it and we wouldnt have to worry about that position. Kennard probably doesnt have the upside DSJ got but I think he can be a good shooter. Not sure who, but someone in the organization even could make DJ hit freethrows. This is ofc if we cant get DSJ to change his mind. Think Pistons would be ok with it too, they got too much money bound up in Drummond and Blake atm.

Do you think Kostas and maybe both Spalding and Macon will get into Mavs squad for next year? Tried to watch Legends thru facebook but lags like **** so was unwatchable, so have had to settle for highlight videos which I dont like.

If the Mavs don't move DSJ by TDL there might be an opportunity to trade him on draft night for either Phoenix or Orlando pick. There aren't many PGs projected to go in the lotto but there are several SGs so I could see the Mavs and say Orlando make a deal if a guy like Reddish, Okpala or Alexander are available somewhere in the 7-12 range.

That’s definitely an option and I would include Cleveland, New York, Chicago, Memphis, Washington, and Detroit as teams potentially in the market for a PG. A draft day trade is better than anything they could get by trading him before the deadline. Again the key will be how Dennis approaches the second half of the season. If he’s smart he’ll embrace his role and on draft day several teams could be calling for a trade.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#422 » by Pointguard01 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:43 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mavs (Rick Carlisle and Co.) told him that they can't get the offers they want right now, and told him if he comes back, says the right things, they'll try to get it done before the deadline. There's also the possibility that they want to make it work but this could ultimately just be to get this value up, by giving the allusion that Dallas isn't under the gun to get something done.

From my end, I have serious doubts of DSJ from what he's shown me, but I don't trade him low. There's too much potential with too much time to grow to do that. And all things considered, there is no reason to get rid of him now.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#423 » by The Sparest » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:36 am

Pointguard01 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the Mavs (Rick Carlisle and Co.) told him that they can't get the offers they want right now, and told him if he comes back, says the right things, they'll try to get it done before the deadline. There's also the possibility that they want to make it work but this could ultimately just be to get this value up, by giving the allusion that Dallas isn't under the gun to get something done.

From my end, I have serious doubts of DSJ from what he's shown me, but I don't trade him low. There's too much potential with too much time to grow to do that. And all things considered, there is no reason to get rid of him now.

I would like DSJ and the Mavs to workout their problems, but if they can't, then I would not trade him while he is tanking his own trade value. Cooperation benefits both parties here regardless of the outcome.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Post#424 » by jpengland » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:59 pm

Mr B wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Apz wrote:Biggest worries for me for next season and actually the coming years are Center and SG, if we cant use DSJ as SG. Any ideas about that situation?

As I wrote in the above post, Im kinda all for pretty much a rebuild in some way with younger players around Luka. Thats why, and I amn not sure I really want this, but an option would be to do a Drummond/kennard trade for DJ/DSJ this tradewindow if we really dont think DSJ situation will work out. Sure, Drummond is overpayed, but if we dont plan using the cap for big signings the next few years he would fill the center role the way Rick wants it and we wouldnt have to worry about that position. Kennard probably doesnt have the upside DSJ got but I think he can be a good shooter. Not sure who, but someone in the organization even could make DJ hit freethrows. This is ofc if we cant get DSJ to change his mind. Think Pistons would be ok with it too, they got too much money bound up in Drummond and Blake atm.

Do you think Kostas and maybe both Spalding and Macon will get into Mavs squad for next year? Tried to watch Legends thru facebook but lags like **** so was unwatchable, so have had to settle for highlight videos which I dont like.

If the Mavs don't move DSJ by TDL there might be an opportunity to trade him on draft night for either Phoenix or Orlando pick. There aren't many PGs projected to go in the lotto but there are several SGs so I could see the Mavs and say Orlando make a deal if a guy like Reddish, Okpala or Alexander are available somewhere in the 7-12 range.

That’s definitely an option and I would include Cleveland, New York, Chicago, Memphis, Washington, and Detroit as teams potentially in the market for a PG. A draft day trade is better than anything they could get by trading him before the deadline. Again the key will be how Dennis approaches the second half of the season. If he’s smart he’ll embrace his role and on draft day several teams could be calling for a trade.

That definitely makes the most sense at this point.

DSJ needs to understand that his best way out of Dallas is showing that he has the value that Dallas holds him to in trade talks.

Get out there and compete and come draft day, he likely has a starting gig somewhere else. There are few good PGs in the lottery and free agency is hardly swimming in available guys.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#425 » by JamesConway » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#426 » by daoneandonly » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:35 pm

JamesConway wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

SO glad we didnt touch Kanter, his defense is cringe worthy
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#427 » by Teffer10 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:53 am

daoneandonly wrote:
JamesConway wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Yeah, unless NY's 1st rounder is coming back I can't see any reason trade for Kanter.
I'd really like to see what was being offered or discussed in that deal for all teams.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#428 » by arkuo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:26 am

There is a 21 year old center in Washington by the name of Thomas Bryant who plays like Clint Capela-lite. He's RFA this summer and the Wizards are capped out. Im hoping Donnie can show up at 12:01am at his door step when free agency season starts. He fits our playing style and our timeline perfectly.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#429 » by Mr B » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:04 am

Teffer10 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
JamesConway wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Yeah, unless NY's 1st rounder is coming back I can't see any reason trade for Kanter.
I'd really like to see what was being offered or discussed in that deal for all teams.

My guess is that Kanter was it and that is why the Mavs turned the trade down. Teams were trying to take advantage of the situation and buy low. I’m glad the Mavs balked at that deal. Just wait until the draft and better options with be available.
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#430 » by juanc » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:12 am

Danny Green is a free agent this year. DO you guys think there is any chance that he comes to Dallas? I think he would be great next to DSJ and Luka. He is the player we all expected Wes to be. I think a 2 year deal should be ok.

Interesting fact: Danny Green played for Union Olimpija Ljubljana during the 2011/2012 lockout. Luka also played there at that time :D

arkuo
General Manager

Post#431 » by arkuo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:14 am

juanc wrote:Danny Green is a free agent this year. DO you guys think there is any chance that he comes to Dallas? I think he would be great next to DSJ and Luka. He is the player we all expected Wes to be. I think a 2 year deal should be ok.

Interesting fact: Danny Green played for Union Olimpija Ljubljana during the 2011/2012 lockout. Luka also played there at that time :D

Danny Green would be nice to have. I just dont think he's high on Mark Cuban's shopping list come summer time. And if they plan to chase RFA's like Middleton, then Green would have been picked up by someone by the time the week is over.
gh123
Sixth Man
And1: 1,197

Post#432 » by gh123 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:03 pm

Green is good with the Raptors, but was pretty crap in SA last couple of years, the fans wanted to move him bad. Could be another case of Wes here.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Post#433 » by jpengland » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:36 pm

arkuo wrote:There is a 21 year old center in Washington by the name of Thomas Bryant who plays like Clint Capela-lite. He's RFA this summer and the Wizards are capped out. Im hoping Donnie can show up at 12:01am at his door step when free agency season starts. He fits our playing style and our timeline perfectly.

Doesnt seem to have the rim protection to be a Capela level player.

He is semi stretchy (scope for that to improve) and very physical on the boards.

Id definitely consider him at 6-7 per year if everything else strikes out. But Washington likely match anything up to 10 due to that stretch potential.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#434 » by arkuo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:47 pm

jpengland wrote:
arkuo wrote:There is a 21 year old center in Washington by the name of Thomas Bryant who plays like Clint Capela-lite. He's RFA this summer and the Wizards are capped out. Im hoping Donnie can show up at 12:01am at his door step when free agency season starts. He fits our playing style and our timeline perfectly.

Doesnt seem to have the rim protection to be a Capela level player.

He is semi stretchy (scope for that to improve) and very physical on the boards.

Id definitely consider him at 6-7 per year if everything else strikes out. But Washington likely match anything up to 10 due to that stretch potential.

Same concerns. However I'd like the investment part on Bryant. He's still 21 and very coachable. I just dont want the team to blow $20M on DJ or a $33M max on Cousins which Cuban doesnt seem to mind.

Bryant, Doncic and DSJ could very well be our big 3 in 5 years time. If Cuban was willing to give Nerlens Noel $17M per, I think Bryant can be had at that range especially since the Wizards are capped out.
McQ
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#435 » by McQ » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:19 am

I’m kinda new to basketball and still not confident on the value of each player when it comes to trades. I was wondering what it would take to get RoCo on the Mavs next season?
WATP
Mr B
RealGM

Post#436 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:36 am

arkuo wrote:
juanc wrote:Danny Green is a free agent this year. DO you guys think there is any chance that he comes to Dallas? I think he would be great next to DSJ and Luka. He is the player we all expected Wes to be. I think a 2 year deal should be ok.

Danny Green would be nice to have. I just dont think he's high on Mark Cuban's shopping list come summer time. And if they plan to chase RFA's like Middleton, then Green would have been picked up by someone by the time the week is over.

Tobias Harris could be another option if they can’t get Middleton.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#437 » by 2011Champs » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:27 pm

I wouldn’t consider this until the very last second of the trade deadline if there are no better offers, but how about swapping Wes Matthews straight up for Enes Kanter?

My reasoning is that it fixes the starting rotation for the rest of the year:Jordan,Maxi,Barnes,DSJ and Luka.
This also gives Dallas added offense and rebounding off the bench in Enes.

Again this would be a very last resort plan to finish the season out, and test drive Enes to see if he might be a fit should he want to stay at a reasonable salary for a big with limited defensive skills.

For New York, they just get rid of a disgruntled player they don’t want to play. Wes would just be a stop gap wing for them should they dump Lee or Hardaway.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#438 » by dirkforpres » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:52 pm

2011Champs wrote:I wouldn’t consider this until the very last second of the trade deadline if there are no better offers, but how about swapping Wes Matthews straight up for Enes Kanter?

My reasoning is that it fixes the starting rotation for the rest of the year:Jordan,Maxi,Barnes,DSJ and Luka.

Again this would be a very last resort plan to finish the season out, and test drive Enes to see if he might be a fit should he want to stay at a reasonable salary for a big with limited defensive skills.

For New York, they just get rid of a disgruntled player they don’t want to play. Wes would just be a stop gap wing for them should they dump Lee or Hardaway.

You’re trading a nickel for five pennies. Kanter really is terrible, despite his box scores. He’s a glorified Jahlil Okafor. Might as well hang on to Matthews if that’s all we can get. Now, if Ntilikina or Mudiay we’re thrown in...
FIRE JASON KIDD
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#439 » by 2011Champs » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:24 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
2011Champs wrote:I wouldn’t consider this until the very last second of the trade deadline if there are no better offers, but how about swapping Wes Matthews straight up for Enes Kanter?

You’re trading a nickel for five pennies. Kanter really is terrible, despite his box scores. He’s a glorified Jahlil Okafor. Might as well hang on to Matthews if that’s all we can get. Now, if Ntilikina or Mudiay we’re thrown in...
Yeah, I was just looking to swap expirings for the remainder of the season and maybe give Dallas’ bench an offensive boost it is missing with Barea out.

Wes would probably have a hissy fit if he was moved to the bench in his contract year. I guess I just want to force Carlisle’s hand of starting Maxi and DSJ....heck, it would probably backfire and he would start Enes. Lol
TAKE A TIMEOUT
Senior
And1: 0

Post#440 » by TAKE A TIMEOUT » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:19 pm

How about this trade?
I think it satisfies all the parties in everything or, at least, in several ways.
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybtohoox
Some picks (probably only second rounds) may be added in one or another way

Return to Dallas Mavericks