ImageImageImage

Who should be the Mavericks fifth starter?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

J.J. Barea
No votes
Jalen Brunson
3%
Dorian Finney-Smith
48%
Devin Harris (when healthy)
No votes
Maximilian Kleber
34%
Wesley Matthews
3%
Salah Mejri
No votes
Dirk Nowitzki (when healthy)
7%
Dwight Powell
3%

Total votes: 29

fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#1 » by fuller4379 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:20 pm

Four are obvious (Smith, Luka, Barnes, and Jordan), but who else should the Mavs start?
fuller4379
Assistant Coach

Re: Who should be the Mavericks fifth starter? 

Post#2 » by fuller4379 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:21 pm

I go with Finney-Smith. Plays solid defense and knows when to not take a shot unlike Matthews. Also, he is young enough to develop for the future.
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#3 » by Suka Bongcic » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:57 pm

Anyone but wanna-be Kobe
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#4 » by Teffer10 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:01 am

My vote is Maxi....think he is the 5th best player on this team and a nice fit with DJ.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#5 » by The Sparest » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:14 am

Teffer10 wrote:My vote is Maxi....think he is the 5th best player on this team and a nice fit with DJ.

Mine too. Kleber has quietly had a very impressive start to the season. DFS and Powell have also been impressive, but I would take Kleber over them to start.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#6 » by burek3 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:58 am

Split between DFS/Maxi.
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#7 » by J_T » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:41 pm

I have no idea. Seems to me that not much is going to change, after listening to Rick's statements. He almost sounded apologetic that Doncic scored that much. Said that he just has to ride the hot player, but no worries, balance will be restored. I don't like it when coaches use word "balance" in such context. There's nothing to balance here. Play whoever is playing well and play others less.

Oh, almost forgot. Carlisle was asked also about Wes and his number of shots, whether it's going down now when HB is back. He looked visibly annoyed to me and it almost looked like he actually wants Wes to be taking all those shots.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,982

Post#8 » by Archx » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:54 pm

J_T wrote:I have no idea. Seems to me that not much is going to change, after listening to Rick's statements. He almost sounded apologetic that Doncic scored that much. Said that he just has to ride the hot player, but no worries, balance will be restored. I don't like it when coaches use word "balance" in such context. There's nothing to balance here. Play whoever is playing well and play others less.

Oh, almost forgot. Carlisle was asked also about Wes and his number of shots, whether it's going down now when HB is back. He looked visibly annoyed to me and it almost looked like he actually wants Wes to be taking all those shots.

He is making Wes to be their main slasher, 1v1 player and their main post up guy. That's exactly how he played until SAS game. Even when they started the game, it was the same **** all over again. Ofc he wants his favorite boy to take more shots.
God forbid a face of the franchise for the future would actually run their offense and learn to be even better PG. In RIck's eyes, it is better for DAJ and Wes to play Magic and Kareem but unfortunately, that worked only in 1 game which they lost anyway...
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,096

Post#9 » by Dirk » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:00 pm

Black Falcon wrote:Anyone but wanna-be Kobe

Are you talking about... your idol? Or are you referring to Matthews.

What are your thoughts on HB's progression with the Mavs?
60/21/10
fuller4379
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by fuller4379 » Tue Nov 6, 2018 2:24 pm

Rick Carlisle must be secretly on this board because Wes got a vote.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,041

Post#11 » by daoneandonly » Tue Nov 6, 2018 3:06 pm

It's definitley between DFS and Maxi, no rationale whatsoever for Matthews or Brunson to get a vote imo
Dundalis
Senior
And1: 543

Post#12 » by Dundalis » Wed Nov 7, 2018 11:43 am

DFS looks like he could be an elite 3&D wing. Small sample size sure, but he's the best shooter on the Mavs in practice and on the court, and he's playing outstanding defense. Perfectly happy to have Wes eat up those minutes with the bench if he wants to, but having at least one true 3&D guy who doesn't need ball dominance to be effective to play with the first team would surely help it function better moving forward.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,982

Post#13 » by Archx » Wed Nov 7, 2018 11:52 am

Dundalis wrote:DFS looks like he could be an elite 3&D wing. Small sample size sure, but he's the best shooter on the Mavs in practice and on the court, and he's playing outstanding defense. Perfectly happy to have Wes eat up those minutes with the bench if he wants to, but having at least one true 3&D guy who doesn't need ball dominance to be effective to play with the first team would surely help it function better moving forward.

Wes was perfect as a spot up shooter in the 1st half. In the 2nd, he again tried to do a bit too much and it didn't work out for him. He has to understand what he does best and stick with it. I like DFS more and more, he deserves minutes and is a lot smarter than Wes as well.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#14 » by Pinkyring » Wed Nov 7, 2018 5:16 pm

It cant be maxi because he cant shoot tho if he could get a 3 point shot he'd be an awesome stretch 4, the answer is dfs but it will never happen, wes sucks. Even ricks rotations are stupid if anything barnes should be leading that second unit not wes
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#15 » by dirkforpres » Wed Nov 7, 2018 8:40 pm

Dorian. He’s been fantastic
FIRE JASON KIDD
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#16 » by arkuo » Wed Nov 7, 2018 8:45 pm

We need a guy who can defend and be effective without having the ball. Since Doncic, Barnes, DSJ, and DJ need the ball at some point, it's DFS for me. Just have him hound the opposing team's best scorer and it's business as usual for everyone else. Wes can lead the second unit.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#17 » by J_T » Wed Nov 7, 2018 8:57 pm

Come on guys, stop dreaming. You could see in yesterday's press conference that Rick thinks all best about Wes. Some of the words he had used to describe him... I don't know... sounded like LeBron kind of stuff. Wes will not go anywhere. I don't think that Rick thinks he has a choice here at all. He can't replace Wes with DFS. To be honest I think it's a move that majority of NBA coaches would have problems with.

By the way, I found one sentence interesting. He said that they drew some additional plays for Barnes so that he could be third option in 4th Q, after DSJ and Luka. So at least from that point of view it seems that Rick doesn't consider Wes to be one of the top 3 (offensive) options when the games need to be won. If that was communicated to Wes (and it might have actually been), I'm pretty sure Wes doesn't like it.
twomangame
Junior
And1: 33

Post#18 » by twomangame » Fri Nov 9, 2018 11:44 am

arkuo wrote:We need a guy who can defend and be effective without having the ball. Since Doncic, Barnes, DSJ, and DJ need the ball at some point, it's DFS for me. Just have him hound the opposing team's best scorer and it's business as usual for everyone else. Wes can lead the second unit.

Agreed. This current starting lineup doesn't really work (based off the first 10 games). Apart from maybe two or three games, we always trail by double digits at some point in the 1st Q.

This is not that 2011 lineup, but maybe Rick can give DFS that DeShawn role.

Return to Dallas Mavericks