ImageImageImage

RS 18/19 - G08 - Mavs @ Lakers (Wed, 10:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Rn5ho
Junior
And1: 376

Re: RS 18/19 - G08 - Mavs @ Lakers (Wed, 10:30PM EST) 

Post#61 » by Rn5ho » Thu Nov 1, 2018 7:57 pm

Ok, a serious question now:

I watched the replay of last attack a couple of times already and everyone is making it out like it was the worst thing ever what Wes did - but really, what was he supposed to do? LBJ already blew by him and there was pretty much free path towards the basket - we all know what that means when it's LBJ having this kind of opportunity. Let him go for a buzzerbeater dunk/layup? That's even worse as it's 2 points and less time left. I don't know. Mistake was that he let him blow by, but there are very few players that could contain LBJ anyway.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'm missing something.. please someone enlighten me (no sarcasm or anything, I'm serious).
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,970

Post#62 » by Archx » Thu Nov 1, 2018 8:05 pm

Rn5ho wrote:Ok, a serious question now:

I watched the replay of last attack a couple of times already and everyone is making it out like it was the worst thing ever what Wes did - but really, what was he supposed to do? LBJ already blew by him and there was pretty much free path towards the basket - we all know what that means when it's LBJ having this kind of opportunity. Let him go for a buzzerbeater dunk/layup? That's even worse as it's 2 points and less time left. I don't know. Mistake was that he let him blow by, but there are very few players that could contain LBJ anyway.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'm missing something.. please someone enlighten me (no sarcasm or anything, I'm serious).

Luka already stepped in to close his lane and also there was DAJ waiting few steps back with JJ right next to him. That's why Luka started jumping up and down from anger cos' he knew they would rather force LBJ to either shoot the ball from the distance or pass it to someone. Anything but a free layup OR giving him free FT attempts the way Wes did. That is basically a nr1 rule on defense in the closing seconds. You don't allow an offensive player to just penetrate OR get free FT's. Ideal situation is if you force him to make a tough jump shot. Even letting LeBron shoot a free 3 pointer would be better.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#63 » by J_T » Thu Nov 1, 2018 8:22 pm

Mr B wrote:Not sure how many of you guys followed this team when the 3 J’s were here or when they first acquired Fin, then Nash, and Dirk. The 3 J’s were not allowed time to grow together and it took Fin, Nash, and Dirk a couple seasons before they were able to start winning consistently. Once Dirk got to Dallas it took them 6 seasons before they made a Final appearance.

I followed that team closely, Dallas was not always the best team, but it was always interesting to me. Always something missing... kind of like Barkley's teams. The difference is that I think both Luka and DSJ are more developed right now (compared to Nash first seasons in Dallas; Nash was a later bloomer), especially considering age. If this team could lend Giannis, that would be an amazing team to watch, probably one of those "I am not a Dallas fan, but I like watching them play."

I guess my point is that I don't expect it would take years for the team to gel, I think it will be faster process. With a superstar FA signing like Giannis, it could be a contender in 2 years.
J_T
Veteran

Post#64 » by J_T » Thu Nov 1, 2018 8:36 pm

Rn5ho wrote:Ok, a serious question now:

Like Archx said, even if you let him shoot a completely uncontested jumper, it's still going to be what... 70% that he scores? Or 45-50% for an uncontested 3-pointer. The chance that he misses both FT's is 5-7%. And of course LBJ would never be left uncontested so his % is going to be lower.

I think there's a big difference also depending on how many seconds will be left afterwards. Having only 2 seconds left, without a timeout available to discuss the play (and to advance the ball to the other half automatically after the TO is finished) is just bad play.
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#65 » by burek3 » Thu Nov 1, 2018 9:02 pm

OK, I understand that DAJ cannot block everyone left and right all day every day. What bothers me is that he doesn't even get his hands up in the air, at least trying to disrupt vision of the attacker or incite some lingering fear of block threat. He just gives up layups.

It's not much, just raise the hands pls.
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,970

Post#66 » by Archx » Thu Nov 1, 2018 9:35 pm

burek3 wrote:OK, I understand that DAJ cannot block everyone left and right all day every day. What bothers me is that he doesn't even get his hands up in the air, at least trying to disrupt vision of the attacker or incite some lingering fear of block threat. He just gives up layups.

PHX has the same problem with Ayton, because he is probably one of the worst defensive centers in the league at the moment for the same reason. DAJ does try a little bit though. He will jump on a guy but only if the guy is basically jumping into DAJ as well. It frustrates me to watch because even McGee has gotten so much better defensively than DAJ, and he comes at a much cheaper price.
J_T
Veteran

Post#67 » by J_T » Thu Nov 1, 2018 9:37 pm

burek3 wrote:OK, I understand that DAJ cannot block everyone left and right all day every day. What bothers me is that he doesn't even get his hands up in the air, at least trying to disrupt vision of the attacker or incite some lingering fear of block threat. He just gives up layups.

Yeah, I remember watching him when he was defensive beast and what I thought was "damn, this guy is so... active!" You don't need to make highlight reel blocks and steals, his long arms were everywhere and he was just making life harder for anyone entering his
territory. I think that his defensive contribution was much better than even his stats showed. He had tons of deflections and he was just there for opponents to keep on their minds.

With that said, for right money I would still extend him right now. If it's true that he worries about the contract, this could be actually positive for him. Also with the way game is developing, most types of C are becoming obsolete, however his type of C is not obsolete. Things could have been much worse.
zonedefense
Analyst
And1: 3,941

Post#68 » by zonedefense » Fri Nov 2, 2018 3:03 am

Mr B wrote:
zonedefense wrote:
Mr B wrote:
He did get outplayed but he wasn’t trash. Without those 12 rebounds this game would have been an absolute blowout. And name me 1 mediocre big that is out there getting 14 boards a game or even 12 in one game.

His rebounds are worthless because he sacrifies defense for them. If I am not moving out of position to stop a drive or challenge a shot I will have better rebounding position. That´s exactly what DAJ is doing. He is playing horrible and it is obvious that the Mavs play better when Kleber is in the game.
DAJ had one good game so far...against Minnesota he was active on defense and actually rolled to the rim after setting a screen.

DJ is out of position a lot because he’s trying to make up for how **** the perimeter defense is. Guys like Wes, DSJ, and Luka are letting guys blow right by them and DJ is having trouble covering for everyone. Kleber has played well defensively but his shot seems to have disappeared.

You guys are a trip though. You all wanted a super young team, well this is what you get with a young team. Horrible perimeter defense, horrible P&R defense, not knowing how to close out games, and resorting to shooting yourself out of games when you should be attacking the rim. Those are all things young teams do. They are going to have to learn how to play better, it’s not going to come overnight. Hell it may not happen within 2-3 seasons.

And I also don’t see anyone talking about how Luka was non-existent in the 1st half last night because he was “star struck” from playing against his idol. That was as much a reason for the loss as Wes’ boneheaded foul at the end of the game, DJ getting outplayed by McGee, or Dennis’ refusal to drive into the paint.

I think it is the other way around. Deandre refusing to leave the paint and help against drives or the pick and roll is a big reason why the perimeter defense is so bad. No one can stay in front of a great player like DeRozan or LeBron without help. That´s why mobile centers are so important in the modern NBA.
Deandres pick and roll defense is probably worse than Dirks. Dirks at least tries to help at the perimeter while Deandre simply hopes that the opponent misses an open jumper.
Pick and roll defense is the biggest problem. And Deandre is the reason for that. Kleber being able to defend switches and the pick and roll is a huge difference maker.
With DAJ involved in a pick and roll it is either:
1) Mavs go over, open midrange jumper, DAJ waiting for a potential miss
2) Mavs go under, open 3, DAJ waiting for a potential miss
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#69 » by agentofatlas » Fri Nov 2, 2018 6:10 am

I'm with Mr. B here. The perimeter defense has not been good leaving DJ on an island. Luka and DSJ get lost on the rotation constantly while Matthews plays with his hands instead of his feet. The solution maybe is to put DFS on the starting lineup instead of Wes.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#70 » by The Sparest » Sat Nov 3, 2018 2:50 am

Dirk wrote:These games are physically painful to watch. Things were a lot easier to handle when we were tanking. By the end of this game I almost didn't care for the outcome due to how bad they played for most of it.

It's funny with the Matthews hate... because rationally his numbers are good. But yeah, it's irritating to see how much the Mavs feature him. I don't blame the player. I blame the coaching. No adjustments vs SAS and well yesterday just an unbelievable error. And this is not a new thing. It happened in previous seasons.

Carlisle more than the individual players is responsible for a team that is making just way too many mistakes and at times looking like they do not know what they are running out there. I suppose 8 games is still a small sample and things are bound to improve significantly with time, but it's been really difficult to watch some large stretches in these games.

This team looks like a rudderless ship way too often, even considering the young guys and small sample size. One minute they look like a veteran playoff team and the next they look like 5 guys who just met in the park for a pickup game. And like you say, these problems reflect more on the coaching than the players.

But whatever the cause, the problem needs to be addressed and fixed ASAP. We don't have our pick, and we need to look like a respectable team in order to even talk to any of the desirable FA's this summer. Otherwise, one long disappointing season could easily turn into 2.
AKA: Sparey Spareman

Return to Dallas Mavericks