ImageImageImage

RS 18/19 - G09 - Knicks @ Mavs (Frid, 8:30PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Re: RS 18/19 - G09 - Knicks @ Mavs (Frid, 8:30PM EST) 

Post#41 » by J_T » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:02 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:I very much doubt there will be no consequences this time.

Like what?
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#42 » by Captain_Obvious » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:11 am

J_T wrote:
Captain_Obvious wrote:I very much doubt there will be no consequences this time.

Like what?

We probably hear of a players only meeting tomorrow.

That's the safest bet, isn't it? I don't think they (front office) can move on with a team divided.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#43 » by The Sparest » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:11 am

burek3 wrote:In my book, this one is on players, not Rick. Showed 0 **** given. Stayed up late for this ****...

There is a Russian saying, "a fish rots from the head down." When a team plays bad it is on the team, but when a team isn't even playing like a team, then that is on the coach. The last time I saw the team play this badly together was during the Rondo fiasco. If that doesn't change quick, then heads need to roll.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,970

Post#44 » by Archx » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:12 am

Watch Cuban's reaction when DAJ went over Luka for that rebound lol.. He was pissed as hell.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,829

Post#45 » by dirkforpres » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:14 am

Deandre and Dennis Smith probably need to go
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#46 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:14 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Captain_Obvious wrote:Carlisle lost the team. You can see it crystal clear. They are pissed at each other. Not getting back on defense. He watched this for 5 minutes. We did.

Disagree completely. They just haven’t found their chemistry. They have a lot of young players and players that either weren’t on the team last year or didn’t play. You can’t throw a bunch of guys together like that and expect them to use great chemistry all of a sudden. I bet this looks like a totally different team after the All Star break.

Team basically imploded today. I don't even understand why Carlisle brought the starters back in after that humiliating 3rd quarter.

Last time I saw this on the Mavs was the last days of regular season under Avery. And Cuban mentioned he wanted to fire him before playoffs.

I very much doubt there will be no consequences this time.

HUGE difference between that team coached by Avery and this team coached by Carlisle. That Avery team was loaded with vets and had a couple of future HOF’s and had recently been to an NBA Finals. Avery deserved to get canned.

This team is loaded with young players who’s two best players are a rookie, and a 2nd year player (and no clear HOF’s). They’ve played a total of 8 games together. Again, IT’s GOING TO TAKE TIME! Team chemistry is not automatic. Hell, Kidd was a league MVP and had been to multiple Finals and was a clear cut HOF’er and it took him a full season before he figured out how to play with Dirk and Marion. Dennis and Luka aren’t even 21 years old yet and you’re expecting to play like they’ve been playing together for 10 years. Again, 8 games is all they’ve played together. The process is not going to be easy to watch but this is what you get when you have a team of young players.
Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,573

Post#47 » by Baz » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:16 am

dirkforpres wrote:Deandre and Dennis Smith probably need to go

Pains me to say that you're probably right, unless something changes... fast. Dennis has a different attitude since Luka joined. Not a good one.
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#48 » by burek3 » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:19 am

They are on pace for what, 22-60?

I don't know how much chemistry you need to defeat these Knicks at home, man...
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,829

Post#49 » by dirkforpres » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:20 am

Baz wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Deandre and Dennis Smith probably need to go

Pains me to say that you're probably right, unless something changes... fast. Dennis has a different attitude since Luka joined. Not a good one.

Luckily they both should be easy to trade. Deandre is a talented big on an expiring contract and Dennis is a 20 year old athletic sophomore. We should be able to get a good combo of picks or veteran talent if we went that route
FIRE JASON KIDD
Archx
RealGM

Post#50 » by Archx » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:25 am

Mr B wrote:
Captain_Obvious wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Disagree completely. They just haven’t found their chemistry. They have a lot of young players and players that either weren’t on the team last year or didn’t play. You can’t throw a bunch of guys together like that and expect them to use great chemistry all of a sudden. I bet this looks like a totally different team after the All Star break.

Team basically imploded today. I don't even understand why Carlisle brought the starters back in after that humiliating 3rd quarter.

Last time I saw this on the Mavs was the last days of regular season under Avery. And Cuban mentioned he wanted to fire him before playoffs.

HUGE difference between that team coached by Avery and this team coached by Carlisle. That Avery team was loaded with vets and had a couple of future HOF’s and had recently been to an NBA Finals. Avery deserved to get canned.

This team is loaded with young players who’s two best players are a rookie, and a 2nd year player (and no clear HOF’s). They’ve played a total of 8 games together. Again, IT’s GOING TO TAKE TIME! Team chemistry is not automatic. Hell, Kidd was a league MVP and had been to multiple Finals and was a clear cut HOF’er and it took him a full season before he figured out how to play with Dirk and Marion. Dennis and Luka aren’t even 21 years old yet and you’re expecting to play like they’ve been playing together for 10 years. Again, 8 games is all they’ve played together. The process is not going to be easy to watch but this is what you get when you have a team of young players.

But it's not about team chemistry, that's not the point at the moment. We are trying to figure out how to use them properly in a system. And if your leading veteran is almost trying to injure your own player, who happens to be your best guy, just to pad his stats, then something is clearly wrong there.

Rick is suppose to be HOF coach and yet he can't even comprehend that Luka is the guy who should lead offense at least through the whole 4th Q. He proved that already against much tougher teams that he is THE guy. DSJ just keeps failing over and over again... Of course they can't develop chemistry if they are not even playing properly. And it starts with Rick.

Also people complain about defense. How can DAJ and Wes get torched every single game when they are suppose to be THE guys on the mavs offense? DAJ can't even freaking get a block against a rookie. In the past 5 games he managed to deliver 4 blocks!!
I mean... something clearly is lacking on this team. DAJ proved that he is only here to pad his stats and Wes is lost, just like DSJ...
The Sparest
Bench Warmer

Post#51 » by The Sparest » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:26 am

DSJ played 32 minutes and had 0 assists. Kleber and DJ managed an assist, but not our starting PG? SMH.
J_T
Veteran

Post#52 » by J_T » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:27 am

Mr B wrote:This team is loaded with young players who’s two best players are a rookie, and a 2nd year player (and no clear HOF’s). They’ve played a total of 8 games together. Again, IT’s GOING TO TAKE TIME! Team chemistry is not automatic. Hell, Kidd was a league MVP and had been to multiple Finals and was a clear cut HOF’er and it took him a full season before he figured out how to play with Dirk and Marion. Dennis and Luka aren’t even 21 years old yet and you’re expecting to play like they’ve been playing together for 10 years. Again, 8 games is all they’ve played together. The process is not going to be easy to watch but this is what you get when you have a team of young players.

Well, here's the thing. You don't need age, experience or chemistry to expect:
1. That players don't steal rebounds the way DAJ did, clearly counterproductive and damaging to the team.
2. That players are determined to try to play the best they can
... and if that's too hard for some reason then:
3. That players at least pretend that they care.

I could go there right now and I wouldn't have problem with any of these points.
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#53 » by Absinthe » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:44 am

The Sparest wrote:DSJ played 32 minutes and had 0 assists. Kleber and DJ managed an assist, but not our starting PG? SMH.

Like I said earlier, he’s not a PG. I think he needs to be shifted to shooting guard and he needs to work on his outside shooting.

I am perfectly fine with tanking. Get draft picks and/or young players for Matthews, Barnes, and maybe even DSJ.

I am very high on both Finney Smith and Powell. Develop them further by trading away the vets. Give them as many minutes as possible. Brunson, Powell, Finney Smith, and Doncic should all be getting major minutes this year. Watching players blow by Matthews and watching Barnes brick wide open threes isn’t helping anyone.

Also, DSJ has an awful attitude and I am beginning to wonder if jealousy is brewing.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#54 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:45 am

Archx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Captain_Obvious wrote:Team basically imploded today. I don't even understand why Carlisle brought the starters back in after that humiliating 3rd quarter.

But it's not about team chemistry, that's not the point at the moment. We are trying to figure out how to use them properly in a system. And if your leading veteran is almost trying to injure your own player, who happens to be your best guy, just to pad his stats, then something is clearly wrong there.

Rick is suppose to be HOF coach and yet he can't even comprehend that Luka is the guy who should lead offense at least through the whole 4th Q. He proved that already against much tougher teams that he is THE guy. DSJ just keeps failing over and over again... Of course they can't develop chemistry if they are not even playing properly. And it starts with Rick.

Also people complain about defense. How can DAJ and Wes get torched every single game when they are suppose to be THE guys on the mavs offense? DAJ can't even freaking get a block against a rookie. In the past 5 games he managed to deliver 4 blocks!!
I mean... something clearly is lacking on this team. DAJ proved that he is only here to pad his stats and Wes is lost, just like DSJ...

Again... THEY HAVE PLAYED 8 GAMES TOGETHER... of course it’s about team Chemistry. Basketball is probably more about team chemistry than another sport. Do you honestly feel that within 8 games they should be running like a well oiled machine and every guy should know their role? If you do then you don’t have a clue about team sports. That process takes time. You can’t just throw a bunch of players together and expect them to play like their the Warriors.

And I also say again, the reason DJ has looked bad is because the Mavs perimeter defense has been atrocious. If DJ still had strong perimeter defenders to play with like he did in LA he would look like the same guy. If the Mavs are set on staying a super young team then DJ might not be the right guy for this team. Not because he cant play but because it is going to take the Mavs young guys so long to become better defenders. DJ and Wes might be guys that could fetch a draft pick at the trade deadline.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#55 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:49 am

J_T wrote:
Mr B wrote:This team is loaded with young players who’s two best players are a rookie, and a 2nd year player (and no clear HOF’s). They’ve played a total of 8 games together. Again, IT’s GOING TO TAKE TIME! Team chemistry is not automatic. Hell, Kidd was a league MVP and had been to multiple Finals and was a clear cut HOF’er and it took him a full season before he figured out how to play with Dirk and Marion. Dennis and Luka aren’t even 21 years old yet and you’re expecting to play like they’ve been playing together for 10 years. Again, 8 games is all they’ve played together. The process is not going to be easy to watch but this is what you get when you have a team of young players.

Well, here's the thing. You don't need age, experience or chemistry to expect:
1. That players don't steal rebounds the way DAJ did, clearly counterproductive and damaging to the team.
2. That players are determined to try to play the best they can
... and if that's too hard for some reason then:
3. That players at least pretend that they care.

I could go there right now and I wouldn't have problem with any of these points.

You’re not wrong about any of that. Although I think you guys are reading too much into the “stealing a rebound” thing. But even if you guys are right about that you want DJ to get that rebound because it pads his stats and makes him more valuable at the trade deadline. If this team is going to continue to struggle like this the first half of the season (which is very likely) DJ will not fit the timeline. He’ll have to be traded (hopefully to a contending team packaged with Wes).
Mr B
RealGM

Post#56 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:52 am

Absinthe wrote:
The Sparest wrote:DSJ played 32 minutes and had 0 assists. Kleber and DJ managed an assist, but not our starting PG? SMH.

Like I said earlier, he’s not a PG. I think he needs to be shifted to shooting guard and he needs to work on his outside shooting.

I am perfectly fine with tanking. Get draft picks and/or young players for Matthews, Barnes, and maybe even DSJ.

I am very high on both Finney Smith and Powell. Develop them further by trading away the vets. Give them as many minutes as possible. Brunson, Powell, Finney Smith, and Doncic should all be getting major minutes this year. Watching players blow by Matthews and watching Barnes brick wide open threes isn’t helping anyone.

Also, DSJ has an awful attitude and I am beginning to wonder if jealousy is brewing.

That’s one of the things I’m talking about when bday these guys need to figure out their roles. DSJ might be best in a role similar to what JET had, a scorer off the bench. Brunson MIGHT be the eventual starter at PG. that’s what I mean when I say this process is going to take time to figure out. This team is at very least a year or two away from being ready to even sniff that 8th seed.
Archx
RealGM

Post#57 » by Archx » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:54 am

Mr B wrote:
Archx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Again... THEY HAVE PLAYED 8 GAMES TOGETHER... of course it’s about team Chemistry. Basketball is probably more about team chemistry than another sport. Do you honestly feel that within 8 games they should be running like a well oiled machine and every guy should know their role? If you do then you don’t have a clue about team sports. That process takes time. You can’t just throw a bunch of players together and expect them to play like their the Warriors.

And I also say again, the reason DJ has looked bad is because the Mavs perimeter defense has been atrocious. If DJ still had strong perimeter defenders to play with like he did in LA he would look like the same guy. If the Mavs are set on staying a super young team then DJ might not be the right guy for this team. Not because he cant play but because it is going to take the Mavs young guys so long to become better defenders. DJ and Wes might be guys that could fetch a draft pick at the trade deadline.

Dude, your best player gets hot repeatedly in the 4th quarter, 3rd straight game, yet you deny him the ball over and over again. How is that for building chemistry if coach is unable to yell "Go with Luka" or whatever...

And just check DJ's block carrer avg's.. And you'll see what i mean. I know perimeter defense has been terrible, but people penetrate to the basket because they know there is zero resistance. 101 basketball. One of the first things they teach you when you start playing.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer

Post#58 » by The Sparest » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:55 am

Mr B wrote:Again... THEY HAVE PLAYED 8 GAMES TOGETHER... of course it’s about team Chemistry. Basketball is probably more about team chemistry than another sport. Do you honestly feel that within 8 games they should be running like a well oiled machine and every guy should know their role? If you do then you don’t have a clue about team sports. That process takes time. You can’t just throw a bunch of players together and expect them to play like their the Warriors.

I get what you are saying and I agree for the most part. But they played a bad Knicks team tonight, and they managed to look even worse. Regardless of how long they have been together, they should have put together a better performance than they did tonight.
Dundalis
Senior
And1: 543

Post#59 » by Dundalis » Sat Nov 3, 2018 3:55 am

Mr B wrote:
Captain_Obvious wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Just not true. This team is the 4th oldest in the league. Just because you drafted two young players recently and they happen to be two of your better players does not make this a young team. Phoenix is a young team. Chicago is a young team. This team has plenty of vets who are supposed to be good players. People that say this team is losing games because they are young are lying. That the team should need to be so reliant on 2 players who've barely dipped their toes in the league is a problem, not something to celebrate.

Also the more I watch DAJ play the more disgusted I become. The cheating on defense to stat hunt rebounds is bad enough. The complete disrespect shown to teammates by physically bodying them out of the way for rebounds that aren't even contested is a recipe for destroying team chemistry. IF it continues he needs to go, I don't care about the positives he does bring, which are actually pretty sparse given his attitude. That type of **** isn't welcome for any team wanting to build a winning culture.
J_T
Veteran

Post#60 » by J_T » Sat Nov 3, 2018 4:04 am

Mr B wrote: Although I think you guys are reading too much into the “stealing a rebound” thing. But even if you guys are right about that you want DJ to get that rebound because it pads his stats and makes him more valuable at the trade deadline. If this team is going to continue to struggle like this the first half of the season (which is very likely) DJ will not fit the timeline. He’ll have to be traded (hopefully to a contending team packaged with Wes).

It could be an overreaction, but this has found its way even to Fantasy Sports websites now:

DeAndre Jordan scored just four points with 10 rebounds, one assist, one steal and one turnover in 32 minutes against the Knicks on Friday.
The scoring has taken a major tumble lately with 7.3 points per game over his last three. Jordan has been solid on the glass lately with 15.0 per game over his last five, and it's almost to a fault with him grabbing a board over Luka Doncic with Luka not being happy about it.(video in link below, Mark Cuban not happy about it).

This WILL be addressed, because it has to be addressed. Doncic was clearly upset with this and it's much better that coaches and players sit down and discuss it, than for players to hold grudges.

Return to Dallas Mavericks