ImageImageImage

So...... how long before we fire up the tank?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#1 » by Pinkyring » Thu Nov 8, 2018 1:07 pm

This is possibly the worst defensive team we've ever rolled out, even in Nellie days we had a couple guys that could guard, we need to try to dump dj wes and barnes and tank like crazy come 12/15 if we are still as bad as we are now
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Re: So...... how long before we fire up the tank? 

Post#2 » by Darren » Thu Nov 8, 2018 1:10 pm

Already. Teams can't win giving in wide-open dunks and 3s praying somebody miss.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#3 » by The Sparest » Thu Nov 8, 2018 1:19 pm

Looking at the stretch ahead of us, and how this team is playing, we could easily be 4-16 to start the season. If that happens, then I would say the tank is already rolling. And unless Wes and DJ have a serious attitude change, then I would cut/trade them and start running in D-league guys for auditions. Losing sucks, but watching vets pout and play selfish is worse IMO.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,827

Post#4 » by dirkforpres » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:24 pm

Fire up the tank now. Trade Deandre and Wes next month for young players or picks and stay in the bottom 5. This team is nowhere near ready to compete for a playoff spot
FIRE JASON KIDD
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#5 » by fuller4379 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 5:02 pm

Why tank? We only have a first round pick next year if we get into top 5.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,970

Post#6 » by Archx » Thu Nov 8, 2018 5:21 pm

It's not fair towards Luka to start tanking. Specially since Dirk will comeback soon ( i hope ). Both deserve much better than this mess of a team that they are right now.

I'll watch the replay vs Jazz in like 10 mins, and from what i've read over the day, people complained that they played way too much through Barnes and Wes again. If that's true then it's RC's fault. Cuban has to jump on RC's back and tell him to get this team together and stop prioritizing Wes and Barnes if they can't even hit an ocean. So they still have a chance to turn some things around and end up with a respectable record. But it has to happen very soon.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#7 » by J_T » Thu Nov 8, 2018 5:25 pm

Archx wrote:It's not fair towards Luka to start tanking. Specially since Dirk will comeback soon ( i hope ). Both deserve much better than this mess of a team that they are right now.

I'll watch the replay vs Jazz in like 10 mins, and from what i've read over the day, people complained that they played way too much through Barnes and Wes again. If that's true then it's RC's fault. Cuban has to jump on RC's back and tell him to get this team together and stop prioritizing Wes and Barnes if they can't even hit an ocean. So they still have a chance to turn some things around and end up with a respectable record. But it has to happen very soon.

Tanking wouldn't affect Luka in any way. There are only two possibilities: Dallas makes the playoffs or Dallas doesn't make the playoffs. If Dallas doesn't make the playoffs, which sure looks to be the case, then to switch to tanking mode doesn't hurt Luka's development. Sure, he would have had 2 APG less at the end of the season, but I think that his stats would have been at least as good, if not better. And for his development he surely doesn't need Wes or DAJ.
Archx
RealGM

Post#8 » by Archx » Thu Nov 8, 2018 5:36 pm

J_T wrote:
Archx wrote:It's not fair towards Luka to start tanking. Specially since Dirk will comeback soon ( i hope ). Both deserve much better than this mess of a team that they are right now.

Tanking wouldn't affect Luka in any way. There are only two possibilities: Dallas makes the playoffs or Dallas doesn't make the playoffs. If Dallas doesn't make the playoffs, which sure looks to be the case, then to switch to tanking mode doesn't hurt Luka's development. Sure, he would have had 2 APG less at the end of the season, but I think that his stats would have been at least as good, if not better. And for his development he surely doesn't need Wes or DAJ.

Not saying it would hurt him mentally, but what kind of msg would that send when a franchise who usually upgrades through FA's is tanking 2 years in a row? No wonder no one wants to sign then. I'd rather see them with a winning mentality than going full tank mode this early into the season. What was the point then trading for him and also giving up their nr1 pick....

And btw, in regards to tanking; From my understanding, if they are only 2nd to last because of the new tanking rules, they automatically lose 20% chance of keeping their pick . And i am 100% sure that they will be far away from being the worst team. If they want to tank, even Luka would have to play like **** and which would mean he can kiss his ROY award goodbye. And also giving the award to a guy on an openly tanking team is basically worthless.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#9 » by Pinkyring » Thu Nov 8, 2018 5:37 pm

fuller4379 wrote:Why tank? We only have a first round pick next year if we get into top 5.

Thats the reason to tank, luka is the only guy on this team that looks like a long term starter, thats a problem.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#10 » by Pinkyring » Thu Nov 8, 2018 5:38 pm

Archx wrote:
J_T wrote:

Not saying it would hurt him mentally, but what kind of msg would that send when a franchise who usually upgrades through FA's is tanking 2 years in a row? No wonder no one wants to sign then. I'd rather see them with a winning mentality than going full tank mode this early into the season. What was the point then trading for him and also giving up their nr1 pick....

And btw, in regards to tanking; From my understanding, if they are only 2nd to last because of the new tanking rules, they automatically lose 20% chance of keeping their pick . And i am 100% sure that they will be far away from being the worst team. If they want to tank, even Luka would have to play like **** and which would mean he can kiss his ROY award goodbye. And also giving the award to a guy on an openly tanking team is basically worthless.

We couldn't sign guys when we weren't tanking, we haven't sign an impact free agent in so long i can't even remember
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#11 » by burek3 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 5:59 pm

Give Luka the keys. If he **** it up, he **** it up, it's good experience anyways.
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#12 » by Mr B » Thu Nov 8, 2018 9:35 pm

I don’t think they will have to try to tank. The chemistry on this team right now is just really bad. At the trade deadline I’d love to see them use Deandre and Wes to acquire more young talent or picks. Both have expiring deals which should hold value. Both could also help playoff teams. Either or both could also help facilitate a Jimmy Butler trade (as a 3rd team) with the Mavs taking back bad contracts and draft picks. The Mavs could potentially be in position to draft RJ Barrett (dream scenario) and have a late 1st.
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#13 » by Absinthe » Thu Nov 8, 2018 10:00 pm

They need to do everything in their power to get Zion or Barrett. If it takes trading the 3rd, 4th, or 5th pick and DSJ to get either then do it.
Archx
RealGM

Post#14 » by Archx » Thu Nov 8, 2018 10:19 pm

Absinthe wrote:They need to do everything in their power to get Zion or Barrett. If it takes trading the 3rd, 4th, or 5th pick and DSJ to get either then do it.

If by some weird miracle they end up in a position to get Zion, i think that DSJ is gone by default. DSJ would NEED to become a good spot up shooter in order for this triangle of Luka, DSJ and Zion to work.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#15 » by JamesConway » Thu Nov 8, 2018 10:47 pm

Not wasting any time on the tank anytime soon. Not until we're at game 60 or so. We just have almost no room to operate due to the low pick protection and the new lottery rules. I'm still for making moves though. The pick is most likely already gone, but you can still commit to a younger team, pick up assets for guys that aren't long-term solutions and take a look at younger players who are caught deep on the bench as of now. For instance I'd trade DeAndre, Wes, Barea and Barnes for the best draft assets we can get or buy them out if nothing comes up. Start DFS, move up Brunson to take over JJ's role, call up Macon to play some SG off the bench, play Powell/Kleber a lot more and also Kostas/Spalding every once in a while after DeAndre's a** is out of town. I just don't want this guy around at all. 11 games of his non-existant defense are enough, he's not the answer. Not even for just 2-3 more years.

I'd make a hard cut, then live with the results. Personally, I have already seen enough and it's not solely based on the poor results. Barnes' iso ball-tendencies are well known and it just doesn't add up with him alongside Dennis/Luka. These two by themselves already struggle enough 'figuring' it out. HB isn't the right guy to pair them up with Imo. Also we're years beyond the point where it was reasonable to dump Barea/Harris/Wes. These guys are solely on the team due to some type of nepotism going on behind the scenes. I can't wait until they are all off the team, watching them over the last few seasons was just annoying as hell.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#16 » by arkuo » Fri Nov 9, 2018 12:20 am

The draft lottery rules have changed. I think the bottom three teams now have an equal shot at the number one pick. That being said, the NBA will again hand Cleveland the number one overall pick for the fourth time since 2003. LOL
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#17 » by Mr B » Fri Nov 9, 2018 2:29 am

arkuo wrote:The draft lottery rules have changed. I think the bottom three teams now have an equal shot at the number one pick. That being said, the NBA will again hand Cleveland the number one overall pick for the fourth time since 2003. LOL

You’re right and Zion will more than likely end up with Cleveland. If the Mavs are bad enough though they will end up with Barrett who is actually a better fit in my opinion. Dennis/Barret/Luka is a pretty great trio to build around.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#18 » by The Sparest » Fri Nov 9, 2018 6:37 am

J_T wrote:And for his development he surely doesn't need Wes or DAJ.

This right here. I would rather lose games with guys who play hard, and care about the team, than guys who are chasing their next contract and checked out on their teammates.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#19 » by agentofatlas » Fri Nov 9, 2018 7:04 am

I'll just let the year play out. Fans especially the new ones, need to relax and adjust their expectations. There was a reason why Luka became a Mav. It was because it was a lottery team. His addition won't magically translate into a playoff team. That was just wishful thinking. Also the team hasn't played with one of it's best players last year in Dirk. RC still has time to adjust and frankly I trust him more than the people on this board.

Honestly tanking basketball is boring. If we suck, we suck. Just field a competitive team out there. I really consider this year more of an evaluation year especially for Luka and DSJ.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#20 » by Teffer10 » Fri Nov 9, 2018 8:49 am

I think the tank started on opening day and the best chance at keeping our pick is by maintaining the status quo. Trading some of those vets might actually make us better and ruin this great opportunity.
Imagine having a top 5 pick and nearly 50 mil in cap space next summer.

Return to Dallas Mavericks