ImageImageImage

Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

DJ_3_Ball
Rookie
Posts: 1,247
And1: 298
Joined: Dec 21, 2018
     

Re: Rick Carlisle is a Great Coach but he needs to change his approach for games... 

Post#61 » by DJ_3_Ball » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:02 am

Lowtech801 wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:Listening to Carlisle being interviewed by Chuck Cooperstein before the Celtics game and the Lakers game, I found the following 2 comments odd. Before the Celtics game, Carlisle was talking about Irving being out and when Cooperstein said Morris was out, Carlisle said "Oh is that right? I didn't realize he was out too." Then before the Lakers game he talked about LeBron being out and then said "I don't know who else is out for the Lakers yet, I haven't looked..." Later Cooperstein would go on to list the remaining Lakers who were out.

I find it really odd that he doesn't know who is out for the opposing team. You would think that would effect strategy and starting lus/substitution patterns, etc. It lends more credence to the idea that Carlisle doesn't care who's playing for the other team or what's going on in the game, he's going to play group A of 5 players til this time and then group B of another 5 players til that time and work very robotic-ally.

I honestly don't think I've ever heard another coach when doing an interview and talking about an injured opponent say "Oh really? I didn't realize they were out." It seems like that's your job to know.
I thought those interviews are pre-recorded and can excuse carlisle of not knowing exactly who's in and who's out at that time. During the regular season you don't game plan around other teams anyways. There's not enough practice time to do that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



I'm not sure when they're recorded, but whatever time they're recorded Chuck Cooperstein knew which players were out for the other team, so the information is available. You'd think the opposing coach would be up-to-speed before he starts taking interview questions for the team's radio broadcast. I mean, it just sounds bad.

For the Lakers, his response was "I know LeBron's out. I don't know who else is." Especially with the Lakers having so many different players that see the court and the half of the roster young, half vets dynamic. It sure seems like it would matter to know who was eligible to play. Also, seems like maybe when the Lakers handed the Mavs their ass that night, then it makes it sound much worse that the coach didn't know who was out for the other team before tip.

Maybe that's an inaccurate narrative, but it sure fits with the cookie cutter substitution patterns we've seen from Carlisle. Maybe he's gotten tired of coaching & doesn't have the same drive he once did, but he doesn't want to turn down the money. I don't know.

I just know I've never heard a coach admit they don't know who's injured for the opposing team 2 times within 3 nights of each other before.
User avatar
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
Posts: 850
And1: 526
Joined: Jan 20, 2015
   

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#62 » by Torgeir Bryn » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:00 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:Granted he has never had much to work with, but what young players has he ever developed? He's been here 11 years. I cannot name one. Roddy B was a failure. Jae Crowder played better when he left Dallas and so did Shane Larkin. He didn't do much to try and develop Jared Cunningham. Until Barea went down, Brunson was pretty much riding the bench.


You mentioned Barea, who is a great example of a player that developed a ton under Carlisle.

It's impossible to know from the outside how much of a player's growth that is due to the coach and how much a player who does not develop is due to the coach. I don't think Dallas has excelled in this area the way the Spurs have, but I don't think we are particularly bad at it either.

Neither Roddy B, Larkin nor Cunningham have had much NBA success outside of Dallas, so maybe they were never destined for stardom. I think Roddy B was certainly talented enough, but with his injuries I don't think another coach would have helped. Crowder was given a lot of minutes and showed enough to be a trade asset in the Rondo trade. As he aged into his prime he improved some more, as you would expect. Another piece in the Rondo-trade was Brandan Wright. Picked up off the scrap heap and given a new role, where he blossomed into the most efficient reserve big man in the league and became an asset on his cheap contract. He has never played as well after he got traded away.

Other guys that developed under him are Mahinmi, Finney-Smith, Aminu.
And then you could also mentioned guys who revitalized their career in Dallas, like Vince Carter, Ray Felton, Tyson Chandler and Monta Ellis
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,599
And1: 5,141
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#63 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:27 pm

Torgeir Bryn wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:Granted he has never had much to work with, but what young players has he ever developed? He's been here 11 years. I cannot name one. Roddy B was a failure. Jae Crowder played better when he left Dallas and so did Shane Larkin. He didn't do much to try and develop Jared Cunningham. Until Barea went down, Brunson was pretty much riding the bench.


You mentioned Barea, who is a great example of a player that developed a ton under Carlisle.

It's impossible to know from the outside how much of a player's growth that is due to the coach and how much a player who does not develop is due to the coach. I don't think Dallas has excelled in this area the way the Spurs have, but I don't think we are particularly bad at it either.

Neither Roddy B, Larkin nor Cunningham have had much NBA success outside of Dallas, so maybe they were never destined for stardom. I think Roddy B was certainly talented enough, but with his injuries I don't think another coach would have helped. Crowder was given a lot of minutes and showed enough to be a trade asset in the Rondo trade. As he aged into his prime he improved some more, as you would expect. Another piece in the Rondo-trade was Brandan Wright. Picked up off the scrap heap and given a new role, where he blossomed into the most efficient reserve big man in the league and became an asset on his cheap contract. He has never played as well after he got traded away.

Other guys that developed under him are Mahinmi, Finney-Smith, Aminu.
And then you could also mentioned guys who revitalized their career in Dallas, like Vince Carter, Ray Felton, Tyson Chandler and Monta Ellis

See there's a difference between developing guys and putting guys in the best position to succeed, he is a master at the latter, sub par at the former. My issue is the love affair with vets, his obvious personality disorder and the fact that he's 60. He isn't a coach thats going to have free agents beating down the door to play for, so outside of money, we don't have much to offer. Id like to get rid of him but the issue is finding a replacement, we arent going to be competing for anything the next few years so why not bring in a younger fiery coach guys love playing for instead of keeping the grumpy personality challenged old guy.
2011Champs
General Manager
Posts: 9,036
And1: 854
Joined: Nov 21, 2008
Location: Buried deep in Carlisle's doghouse
 

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#64 » by 2011Champs » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Torgeir Bryn wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:Granted he has never had much to work with, but what young players has he ever developed? He's been here 11 years. I cannot name one. Roddy B was a failure. Jae Crowder played better when he left Dallas and so did Shane Larkin. He didn't do much to try and develop Jared Cunningham. Until Barea went down, Brunson was pretty much riding the bench.


You mentioned Barea, who is a great example of a player that developed a ton under Carlisle.

It's impossible to know from the outside how much of a player's growth that is due to the coach and how much a player who does not develop is due to the coach. I don't think Dallas has excelled in this area the way the Spurs have, but I don't think we are particularly bad at it either.

Neither Roddy B, Larkin nor Cunningham have had much NBA success outside of Dallas, so maybe they were never destined for stardom. I think Roddy B was certainly talented enough, but with his injuries I don't think another coach would have helped. Crowder was given a lot of minutes and showed enough to be a trade asset in the Rondo trade. As he aged into his prime he improved some more, as you would expect. Another piece in the Rondo-trade was Brandan Wright. Picked up off the scrap heap and given a new role, where he blossomed into the most efficient reserve big man in the league and became an asset on his cheap contract. He has never played as well after he got traded away.

Other guys that developed under him are Mahinmi, Finney-Smith, Aminu.
And then you could also mentioned guys who revitalized their career in Dallas, like Vince Carter, Ray Felton, Tyson Chandler and Monta Ellis

See there's a difference between developing guys and putting guys in the best position to succeed, he is a master at the latter, sub par at the former. My issue is the love affair with vets, his obvious personality disorder and the fact that he's 60. He isn't a coach thats going to have free agents beating down the door to play for, so outside of money, we don't have much to offer. Id like to get rid of him but the issue is finding a replacement, we arent going to be competing for anything the next few years so why not bring in a younger fiery coach guys love playing for instead of keeping the grumpy personality challenged old guy.
You hit the nail on the head with the personality disorder comment. Lol.I love it.

You are exactly correct. Free agents don’t want to play here other than necessity or money and sour lemonface Carlisle doesn’t help that issue at all
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,599
And1: 5,141
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#65 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:39 pm

2011Champs wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Torgeir Bryn wrote:You mentioned Barea, who is a great example of a player that developed a ton under Carlisle.

It's impossible to know from the outside how much of a player's growth that is due to the coach and how much a player who does not develop is due to the coach. I don't think Dallas has excelled in this area the way the Spurs have, but I don't think we are particularly bad at it either.

Neither Roddy B, Larkin nor Cunningham have had much NBA success outside of Dallas, so maybe they were never destined for stardom. I think Roddy B was certainly talented enough, but with his injuries I don't think another coach would have helped. Crowder was given a lot of minutes and showed enough to be a trade asset in the Rondo trade. As he aged into his prime he improved some more, as you would expect. Another piece in the Rondo-trade was Brandan Wright. Picked up off the scrap heap and given a new role, where he blossomed into the most efficient reserve big man in the league and became an asset on his cheap contract. He has never played as well after he got traded away.

Other guys that developed under him are Mahinmi, Finney-Smith, Aminu.
And then you could also mentioned guys who revitalized their career in Dallas, like Vince Carter, Ray Felton, Tyson Chandler and Monta Ellis

See there's a difference between developing guys and putting guys in the best position to succeed, he is a master at the latter, sub par at the former. My issue is the love affair with vets, his obvious personality disorder and the fact that he's 60. He isn't a coach thats going to have free agents beating down the door to play for, so outside of money, we don't have much to offer. Id like to get rid of him but the issue is finding a replacement, we arent going to be competing for anything the next few years so why not bring in a younger fiery coach guys love playing for instead of keeping the grumpy personality challenged old guy.
You hit the nail on the head with the personality disorder comment. Lol.I love it.

You are exactly correct. Free agents don’t want to play here other than necessity or money and sour lemonface Carlisle doesn’t help that issue at all

Yeah his antics are just a bit much, it was rondo a few years ago, noel last year dsj this, it's always something. Im not defending any of those guys but as a coach u have to be able to communicate with guys and manage things better, thats not a quality he has and its fine when you're winning, not so much when you're a losing team and trying to recruit guys.
2011Champs
General Manager
Posts: 9,036
And1: 854
Joined: Nov 21, 2008
Location: Buried deep in Carlisle's doghouse
 

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#66 » by 2011Champs » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:41 pm

^^^or even make those type players look artificially good and flip them...similar to what Brad Stevens does in Boston for example
User avatar
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
Posts: 850
And1: 526
Joined: Jan 20, 2015
   

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#67 » by Torgeir Bryn » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:44 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Torgeir Bryn wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:Granted he has never had much to work with, but what young players has he ever developed? He's been here 11 years. I cannot name one. Roddy B was a failure. Jae Crowder played better when he left Dallas and so did Shane Larkin. He didn't do much to try and develop Jared Cunningham. Until Barea went down, Brunson was pretty much riding the bench.


You mentioned Barea, who is a great example of a player that developed a ton under Carlisle.

It's impossible to know from the outside how much of a player's growth that is due to the coach and how much a player who does not develop is due to the coach. I don't think Dallas has excelled in this area the way the Spurs have, but I don't think we are particularly bad at it either.

Neither Roddy B, Larkin nor Cunningham have had much NBA success outside of Dallas, so maybe they were never destined for stardom. I think Roddy B was certainly talented enough, but with his injuries I don't think another coach would have helped. Crowder was given a lot of minutes and showed enough to be a trade asset in the Rondo trade. As he aged into his prime he improved some more, as you would expect. Another piece in the Rondo-trade was Brandan Wright. Picked up off the scrap heap and given a new role, where he blossomed into the most efficient reserve big man in the league and became an asset on his cheap contract. He has never played as well after he got traded away.

Other guys that developed under him are Mahinmi, Finney-Smith, Aminu.
And then you could also mentioned guys who revitalized their career in Dallas, like Vince Carter, Ray Felton, Tyson Chandler and Monta Ellis

See there's a difference between developing guys and putting guys in the best position to succeed, he is a master at the latter, sub par at the former. My issue is the love affair with vets, his obvious personality disorder and the fact that he's 60. He isn't a coach thats going to have free agents beating down the door to play for, so outside of money, we don't have much to offer. Id like to get rid of him but the issue is finding a replacement, we arent going to be competing for anything the next few years so why not bring in a younger fiery coach guys love playing for instead of keeping the grumpy personality challenged old guy.


The latter is what the head coach is responsible for. He can only do so much for a player to develop, the rest is on them. He can't make Dominique Jones into a 40% 3-point shooter.
When has the coach ever been the deciding factor in FA?
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,599
And1: 5,141
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#68 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:12 pm

Torgeir Bryn wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Torgeir Bryn wrote:You mentioned Barea, who is a great example of a player that developed a ton under Carlisle.

It's impossible to know from the outside how much of a player's growth that is due to the coach and how much a player who does not develop is due to the coach. I don't think Dallas has excelled in this area the way the Spurs have, but I don't think we are particularly bad at it either.

Neither Roddy B, Larkin nor Cunningham have had much NBA success outside of Dallas, so maybe they were never destined for stardom. I think Roddy B was certainly talented enough, but with his injuries I don't think another coach would have helped. Crowder was given a lot of minutes and showed enough to be a trade asset in the Rondo trade. As he aged into his prime he improved some more, as you would expect. Another piece in the Rondo-trade was Brandan Wright. Picked up off the scrap heap and given a new role, where he blossomed into the most efficient reserve big man in the league and became an asset on his cheap contract. He has never played as well after he got traded away.

Other guys that developed under him are Mahinmi, Finney-Smith, Aminu.
And then you could also mentioned guys who revitalized their career in Dallas, like Vince Carter, Ray Felton, Tyson Chandler and Monta Ellis

See there's a difference between developing guys and putting guys in the best position to succeed, he is a master at the latter, sub par at the former. My issue is the love affair with vets, his obvious personality disorder and the fact that he's 60. He isn't a coach thats going to have free agents beating down the door to play for, so outside of money, we don't have much to offer. Id like to get rid of him but the issue is finding a replacement, we arent going to be competing for anything the next few years so why not bring in a younger fiery coach guys love playing for instead of keeping the grumpy personality challenged old guy.


The latter is what the head coach is responsible for. He can only do so much for a player to develop, the rest is on them. He can't make Dominique Jones into a 40% 3-point shooter.
When has the coach ever been the deciding factor in FA?

If u dont think guys care about the coach you're sadly mistaken. The only time i think it doesn't matter is if you're going to play with supreme American talent or you're going to an L.A miami or new york
User avatar
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
Posts: 850
And1: 526
Joined: Jan 20, 2015
   

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#69 » by Torgeir Bryn » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Torgeir Bryn wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:See there's a difference between developing guys and putting guys in the best position to succeed, he is a master at the latter, sub par at the former. My issue is the love affair with vets, his obvious personality disorder and the fact that he's 60. He isn't a coach thats going to have free agents beating down the door to play for, so outside of money, we don't have much to offer. Id like to get rid of him but the issue is finding a replacement, we arent going to be competing for anything the next few years so why not bring in a younger fiery coach guys love playing for instead of keeping the grumpy personality challenged old guy.


The latter is what the head coach is responsible for. He can only do so much for a player to develop, the rest is on them. He can't make Dominique Jones into a 40% 3-point shooter.
When has the coach ever been the deciding factor in FA?

If u dont think guys care about the coach you're sadly mistaken. The only time i think it doesn't matter is if you're going to play with supreme American talent or you're going to an L.A miami or new york


Its very far down on the list of things that matter for a free agent. Players, city, management, money etc matters a lot more and I doubt a single player of importance have gone to a situation that is worse because of the coach. If you know if any, please share.
And even so, Carlisle has a good reputation around the league. There's only a handful of coaches that would be a bigger draw.
Ray Donovan
Ballboy
Posts: 32
And1: 6
Joined: Nov 10, 2013

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#70 » by Ray Donovan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:08 am

BlueSan wrote:Here is my take on the whole R.C. saga

1.
I / We have way too less of info to be a good judge of what exactly is happening, which is something to keep in mind before you read anything what I am about to say bellow.

2.
When I am rating a coach or a basketball player and so on, I will try to be as objective as possible on the matter and look at things that I believe are objectiely speaking important for the Coach to have when evaluating his work and his value. The main things I will look at are
- What are the strategic choices the coach is making
- What are tactical choices the coach is making
- How the coach is MANAGING a team and the players
- How the coach is developing players
- What is the aura the coach gives


I''ll now touch on the above aspects and try to explain what I mean with those and how I see R.C. when comparing

3. STRATEGIC CHOICES THE COACH MAKES
- When we are talking about strategy we are talking about long term planning
A coach together with the owner, GM and his own staff needs to come up with a plan and needs to in some way influence the strategy of a team, so even though a GM will end up doing the shopping for the coach, the coach can definitely and should definitely give the GM tips about what he would like to have on his team and how he sees the pieces he currently has falling into place.
There is some kind of an image of a coach just working with the pieces the GM is giving to him and while a big chunk of that is actually true, and GM definitely has to devote a lot more time to the overall strategy of the FRANCHISE, the coach needs to be involved in this and present his own STRATEGY of A TEAM (maybe in some sense even the franchise, but mostly THE TEAM)
- I personally believe Rick has/is doing that, you can see he does have a clear philosophy and you can see that is being executed on the court as well.
Things as center with a PnR ability which matches the skillset of Luka, things like, the way the Mavs are generally playing, the amount of plays he prepares for his offense... this is R.C. system and it is part of his bigger strategy he has for this team. I dont see many faults here with R.C. in fact I think the general strategy is clear and reasonably well thought out when it comes to the Mavs.

4. TACTICAL CHOICES THE COACH MAKES
- When we are talking about tactics, we are talking about short term planning and decisions on the spot.
- This is where R.C. is often getting the flak for and here I will not jump to his defense personally. He does react to things, as we have seen with handling Dirk, Maxi and so on, but for me personally those are too slow, to be considered good enough. He does react to things and sees them, so I cannot say his tactical decision making is necessarly bad or none existent or some crap like that, but I will definitely say that his reactions in regards to the team as a whole are slow.
The other part of the tactics is decision making on the spot, which means changing the game on the spot, taking the time outs, getting yourself thrown out of the game if needed and so on. Here again I cannot and will not take him for someone who is not doing those things, but I would definitely like to see quicker and better reactions and I will not agree with his decision making where he will pull players who are playing really well on the bench ahead of what I would consider appropriate timing and so on. Again I would not rate him as bad or even average on this, but I definitely cannot grant him some superior tactical coaching here. At least I dont acknowledge it.

5. How the Coach is MANAGING A TEAM and the PLAYERS
- What I mean with this is probably the single most important thing in basketball that a coach can have and is maybe underrated. The best coach in my personal opinion will be able to bring the best out of his players and can turn an average team into a good one, or make an average player given the right role look excelent out there. This is something I will personally immediately say about Stevens, or Popovich. If you believe scary Terry, Brown and so on are so amazing that without Irving and Hayward they managed to almost make the finals than that is fine. What I believe however is that the coach last year brought the best out of those players in the given situation and given them the environment in which they could succeed and display the best they have to offer in that point in time and same goes for Pop.
It means that you as a coach need to find first a suited role for your players, it means you need to manage egos while you do it, it means you need to convince them that they believe in your system and it means you need to hide their weaknesses and bring out their strengths as much as possible and in the end package it all and present it to the crowd come game night.
This is where I dont see Rick particularly shining and again I will not say he is bad at it, in fact I believe he is above average in it.
Making Barnes what he is today, I believe he played a big role in that, making Doncic showing what he is showing in this moment I think is again also R.C. playing part in that story, but also DSJ and his management, as management of Maxi Kleber and the rest...well that also falls under that category, so again I will not say R.C. is bad at it, but I will not say he is great at it also.

6. HOW THE COACH IS DEVELOPING PLAYERS
- This is actually an area where I will step back and let you guys who have been around Mavs for a lot longer than I to say. I cannot in all honesty be the judge of that, I can just go by what you are saying.
I can only speak for this season:
- He has managed Doncic well enough till now
- He is managing Brunson well enough till now although now injuries will play a huge part in this and you could see a scenario where Barea would simply take away a lot of those minutes Brunson would need and probably would deserve from the developing+production point of view
- Kostas...no idea just started
- Spalding no idea just started
So really no comment on this you be the judge of that, but again people like Popovich are a PRIME example of how you develop players and you basically become a factory of producing great talent

7. WHAT IS THE AURA THE COACH GIVES
- This is the last one and the least tangible, but I find it to be important
- All the jazz I said above about managing the players...if you have a great aura on you, you can be sure a player will trust you and in your way of working a lot more. If you will be able to come down to his own level of thinking make sure he can relate to you and you to him, if you will turn the negatives into positives...it will help you a lot.
I remember from the days of when I played basketball and looking back I am looking at the coaches and was seeing first hand how different coaches were handling for instance Dragič brothers, also one of my first coaches also was the first coach who trained Dončič and I will tell you the following.
The coaches which DONT HAVE THE IT factor, the aura...are not able to bring the best out of their players. I'll give you example of the coach that later trained Dončič and before trained me and Dragič and his aura. We were playing a game and it wasnt even an important match or anything. On one play he literally slammed his hand against the supporting pillar of the gym and broke his hand. Suffice to say it is funny when you talk about it now and other things that coach was doing. But his aura was among other things, making sure, we are taking things seriously and sure enough it got our focus back on track in that game hah
The coaches who dont have the IT, and cant handle the media also are bringing some clouds over their own team and I personally think from what I see.
1) I dont know what is the aura the coach is giving to the players, the parts I see arent really spectacular, I remember this one footage I saw of coach R.C. mentioning DSJ shoes and making the lemon joke comment about it, I found it odd and out of place, like a guy who wants to get close to this younger generation but comes a bit off and weird when doing it haha
2) I can however comment on how Rick is handling the media and what his aura is there and I would personally rate it as a really bad one.
He gives the impression as every single question is like answering the question at the police station when you have to point out the murder of your entire family...He sincerely gives that impression and how he is handling all the Dončič buzz and those questions, while I do see some sense in him not wanting it to go to Luka's head or to create some kind of jealousy within the team, he is managing it so poorly that in the end if you are Luka looking at that you almost see it as not giving you the credit for some of the things you do and so on.
With the DSJ thing in New Orleans, now that we look back at it, I can say it even more direct and with confidence, he was trying to cover for DSJ and that play in the end, but again I think he could have handled it a lot lot better when asked the question. Best coaches, best leaders will give you the truth but will give it in such a way it will not bring you to tears or dispair, those who will try to cover it and later on you will find out about stuff happening...those will see the effect of **** hitting the fan quickly.

So my take on R.C and whether or not I would replace him?

1. I dont have enough information
2. But from that information that I have I would still give him till the end of this season first and see how things turn out (he is definitely not so bad that you need to launch him off this team ASAP with a catapult)
3. After this season, if I still see signs of the above, yes I would reevaluate and maybe think about changing the coach if things dont improve. But again, only if I have a good option and only if it warrants a change in the coaching staff.

I would not change R.C. as of now based on the above.


Sorry once again for this long post and props to anyone reading....

Enjoyed ur input & opinions, seLdom come 2 the team forums, think u & severaL of the other Mav foLLowers shouLd post on the main NBA discussion page
gh123
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,848
And1: 1,197
Joined: Feb 17, 2016

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#71 » by gh123 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:34 am

Torgeir Bryn wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Torgeir Bryn wrote:You mentioned Barea, who is a great example of a player that developed a ton under Carlisle.

It's impossible to know from the outside how much of a player's growth that is due to the coach and how much a player who does not develop is due to the coach. I don't think Dallas has excelled in this area the way the Spurs have, but I don't think we are particularly bad at it either.

Neither Roddy B, Larkin nor Cunningham have had much NBA success outside of Dallas, so maybe they were never destined for stardom. I think Roddy B was certainly talented enough, but with his injuries I don't think another coach would have helped. Crowder was given a lot of minutes and showed enough to be a trade asset in the Rondo trade. As he aged into his prime he improved some more, as you would expect. Another piece in the Rondo-trade was Brandan Wright. Picked up off the scrap heap and given a new role, where he blossomed into the most efficient reserve big man in the league and became an asset on his cheap contract. He has never played as well after he got traded away.

Other guys that developed under him are Mahinmi, Finney-Smith, Aminu.
And then you could also mentioned guys who revitalized their career in Dallas, like Vince Carter, Ray Felton, Tyson Chandler and Monta Ellis

See there's a difference between developing guys and putting guys in the best position to succeed, he is a master at the latter, sub par at the former. My issue is the love affair with vets, his obvious personality disorder and the fact that he's 60. He isn't a coach thats going to have free agents beating down the door to play for, so outside of money, we don't have much to offer. Id like to get rid of him but the issue is finding a replacement, we arent going to be competing for anything the next few years so why not bring in a younger fiery coach guys love playing for instead of keeping the grumpy personality challenged old guy.


The latter is what the head coach is responsible for. He can only do so much for a player to develop, the rest is on them. He can't make Dominique Jones into a 40% 3-point shooter.
When has the coach ever been the deciding factor in FA?


It's funny, coz rc was the one who wanted Dominique Jones and that Cunningham dude lol. Then people say we didn't have good picks, but some of them were picked personally for rc. Also, there are 2nd rounders turning into decent players every season on different teams, but never in Dallas and that's on rc.
Imon
Head Coach
Posts: 6,772
And1: 6,044
Joined: Oct 18, 2012
Location: Ft. Worth

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#72 » by Imon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:59 am

gh123 wrote:It's funny, coz rc was the one who wanted Dominique Jones and that Cunningham dude lol. Then people say we didn't have good picks, but some of them were picked personally for rc. Also, there are 2nd rounders turning into decent players every season on different teams, but never in Dallas and that's on rc.


Jae Crowder is a solid rotation player and he was a 2nd round pick. Of course the Mavs traded him (and others) for Rondo so... :nonono:

He was in the same draft class as Jared Cunningham and even though Cunningham was a 1st round pick RC almost never played him but gave Jae plenty of burn. They played different positions, of course, but I do think RC will give minutes to players if he thinks they deserve it. I think a lot of Mavs fans can't bring themselves to realize that the Mavs aren't really that deep with talent so there aren't that many good combination of players he can throw out there. A little patience will be necessary for those rooting for this team.
gh123
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,848
And1: 1,197
Joined: Feb 17, 2016

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#73 » by gh123 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:52 am

Imon wrote:
gh123 wrote:It's funny, coz rc was the one who wanted Dominique Jones and that Cunningham dude lol. Then people say we didn't have good picks, but some of them were picked personally for rc. Also, there are 2nd rounders turning into decent players every season on different teams, but never in Dallas and that's on rc.


Jae Crowder is a solid rotation player and he was a 2nd round pick. Of course the Mavs traded him (and others) for Rondo so... :nonono:

He was in the same draft class as Jared Cunningham and even though Cunningham was a 1st round pick RC almost never played him but gave Jae plenty of burn. They played different positions, of course, but I do think RC will give minutes to players if he thinks they deserve it. I think a lot of Mavs fans can't bring themselves to realize that the Mavs aren't really that deep with talent so there aren't that many good combination of players he can throw out there. A little patience will be necessary for those rooting for this team.


rc played Jae because w literally had no other SF, that's the year he also ran his 3 PG lineup a lot :crazy:
Also, Jae was better under Stevens, but maybe that was his natural progression.
Pinkyring
General Manager
Posts: 8,599
And1: 5,141
Joined: May 28, 2016

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#74 » by Pinkyring » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:08 pm

Imon wrote:
gh123 wrote:It's funny, coz rc was the one who wanted Dominique Jones and that Cunningham dude lol. Then people say we didn't have good picks, but some of them were picked personally for rc. Also, there are 2nd rounders turning into decent players every season on different teams, but never in Dallas and that's on rc.


Jae Crowder is a solid rotation player and he was a 2nd round pick. Of course the Mavs traded him (and others) for Rondo so... :nonono:

He was in the same draft class as Jared Cunningham and even though Cunningham was a 1st round pick RC almost never played him but gave Jae plenty of burn. They played different positions, of course, but I do think RC will give minutes to players if he thinks they deserve it. I think a lot of Mavs fans can't bring themselves to realize that the Mavs aren't really that deep with talent so there aren't that many good combination of players he can throw out there. A little patience will be necessary for those rooting for this team.

Plenty of burn? In his time here for three seasons he averaged 13mpg with numerous dnps, that is not plenty of burn.
User avatar
burek3
Pro Prospect
Posts: 943
And1: 536
Joined: Feb 11, 2017
Location: Slovenia
     

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#75 » by burek3 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 2:41 pm

I feel like I have to express some appreciation of Rick. Should have had more trust that there existed a deeper plan than just a bad coach playing out terrible rotations.
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
2011Champs
General Manager
Posts: 9,036
And1: 854
Joined: Nov 21, 2008
Location: Buried deep in Carlisle's doghouse
 

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#76 » by 2011Champs » Fri Feb 8, 2019 2:47 pm

burek3 wrote:I feel like I have to express some appreciation of Rick. Should have had more trust that there existed a deeper plan than just a bad coach playing out terrible rotations.
Same here. I was calling for the firing of Carlisle while all along the bad rotations were part of a much bigger plan he just couldn’t let on to. I thought he had lost touch while all along he knew what he was doing.
User avatar
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 8,076
And1: 24,677
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
     

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#77 » by Dirk » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:32 pm

I am a simple man.

You lose to a clown show once, you get my attention. You lose to the same abomination of team twice... you're definitely under the microscope.

Not having a team ready to play after you were punked at home days before is beyond unaceptable.

Minute patterns
KP
Image

LD
Image

Yesterday, it felt like LD should have been back on the floor earlier, although whenhe did get back in, he had some dumb stuff. 95-94 when he was back in the game after having 15 points in the 3rd quarter.

It did feel like it was a game that he should have went outside the usual minutes pattern though.

Garbage play with 1 min left
Gfycat Video - Click to Play


Like... wtf is this?

I hope they shame KP in forcing him to watch this stuff. Guy is 7'3 or whatever... no way he needs to rush things when he does get the ball in those spots. Surely we will get to a point where we will see him being more patient, facing up smaller guys, face them up, pump fake, draw a foul, whatever. But just do things within his control and not this wild mess. Anyway... of all times... to have this play... with a minute left... just dumb. (wasted the last timeout after this if not mistaken).

Timeout mismanagement. In one game keeps it and doesnt have the team foul (say Lakers), then yesterday get the quick 2, but no timeouts left. A week ago they take a quick 3 to attempt the tie against the very same team. Then to top it all up, they get a break and a inbounds play... and shambles with 0.8 left.

Quit having a soft team out there and hold players accountable.

Vent/over.
43/17/13
dirkforpres
General Manager
Posts: 8,910
And1: 3,723
Joined: Sep 13, 2005
   

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#78 » by dirkforpres » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:51 pm

Dirk wrote:I am a simple man.

You lose to a clown show once, you get my attention. You lose to the same abomination of team twice... you're definitely under the microscope.

Not having a team ready to play after you were punked at home days before is beyond unaceptable.

Minute patterns
KP
Image

LD
Image

Yesterday, it felt like LD should have been back on the floor earlier, although whenhe did get back in, he had some dumb stuff. 95-94 when he was back in the game after having 15 points in the 3rd quarter.

It did feel like it was a game that he should have went outside the usual minutes pattern though.

Garbage play with 1 min left
Gfycat Video - Click to Play


Like... wtf is this?

I hope they shame KP in forcing him to watch this stuff. Guy is 7'3 or whatever... no way he needs to rush things when he does get the ball in those spots. Surely we will get to a point where we will see him being more patient, facing up smaller guys, face them up, pump fake, draw a foul, whatever. But just do things within his control and not this wild mess. Anyway... of all times... to have this play... with a minute left... just dumb. (wasted the last timeout after this if not mistaken).

Timeout mismanagement. In one game keeps it and doesnt have the team foul (say Lakers), then yesterday get the quick 2, but no timeouts left. A week ago they take a quick 3 to attempt the tie against the very same team. Then to top it all up, they get a break and a inbounds play... and shambles with 0.8 left.

Quit having a soft team out there and hold players accountable.

Vent/over.


The game has passed him up. He’s the Bill Parcells of the NBA. We need to find our new era Don Nelson
2011Champs
General Manager
Posts: 9,036
And1: 854
Joined: Nov 21, 2008
Location: Buried deep in Carlisle's doghouse
 

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#79 » by 2011Champs » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:56 pm

I’m not on board with Carlisle’s tactics and rotation gimmicks much of the time , but the problem is, who could Cuban hire better than him? I can’t think of any good available candidates. I think Carlisle will be coach until he decides he wants out.
dirkforpres
General Manager
Posts: 8,910
And1: 3,723
Joined: Sep 13, 2005
   

Re: Carlisle dartboard - All Things Rick 

Post#80 » by dirkforpres » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:30 pm

2011Champs wrote:I’m not on board with Carlisle’s tactics and rotation gimmicks much of the time , but the problem is, who could Cuban hire better than him? I can’t think of any good available candidates. I think Carlisle will be coach until he decides he wants out.


Plenty of good assistant coaches out there. Becky Hammon and Ime Udoka would be good ones. Darrell Armstrong seems like the obvious candidate to be next in line though

Return to Dallas Mavericks