ImageImageImage

RS 18/19 - G40 - Mavs vs Lakers

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,348

Re: RS 18/19 - G40 - Mavs vs Lakers 

Post#121 » by Revived » Tue Jan 8, 2019 9:38 am

Saw a stat on ESPN that the Mavs scored 30 pts the entire 2nd half and apparently 17 players have scored 30 or more in just a half the last 2 seasons.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#122 » by jpengland » Tue Jan 8, 2019 10:52 am

The offense was one issue.

But watching the Lakers in basiclly layup lines whilst Jordan stands and watches them score was embarrassing.

Complete lack of desire from too many players.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,951

Post#123 » by Archx » Tue Jan 8, 2019 11:05 am

jpengland wrote:The offense was one issue.

But watching the Lakers in basiclly layup lines whilst Jordan stands and watches them score was embarrassing.

I really don't understand the logic of Rick. DFS 15 mins 8 rebs ( 3 OFF ) 8pts and the only guy who wasn't in +/- negatives. Wes on the other hand 32 mins 1/6 3PT and 5 pts, plus no effort or desire to shoot open looks when they ran plays for him in the 4th. Why wouldn't DFS be out there guarding Ingram?

Kleber 5 mins 1 block.

D. Harris again, 13 mins 2 TO's and 2/6.

Brunson the other day almost a triple double and has a nice feel for moving the ball, ZERO minutes.

If they can't win against PHX, specially if Booker will still be injured, something has to happen soon. Either a trade or some major lineup and rotation changes.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#124 » by Bob8 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 11:30 am

Archx wrote:

I really don't understand the logic of Rick. DFS 15 mins 8 rebs ( 3 OFF ) 8pts and the only guy who wasn't in +/- negatives. Wes on the other hand 32 mins 1/6 3PT and 5 pts, plus no effort or desire to shoot open looks when they ran plays for him in the 4th. Why wouldn't DFS be out there guarding Ingram?

Kleber 5 mins 1 block.

Brunson the other day almost a triple double and has a nice feel for moving the ball, ZERO minutes.

If they can't win against PHX, specially if Booker will still be injured, something has to happen soon. Either a trade or some major lineup and rotation changes.

Why? they won't make the playoffs and they desperately need more young talent. Just tank and have 30-40% for top4 pick. not the best odds, but still better that finish 12th and have only 7% for top4 pick.
Archx
RealGM

Post#125 » by Archx » Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:37 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Kleber 5 mins 1 block.

Why? they won't make the playoffs and they desperately need more young talent. Just tank and have 30-40% for top4 pick. not the best odds, but still better that finish 12th and have only 7% for top4 pick.

Because these guys could form a solid foundation for the Mavs to move forward. Or you think Wes, Barea, D. Harris are the future? :D

And they still need to play 2nd half of the season, so i would like to think that anything is possible, even making the playoffs. But not in a way they are playing right now. I think at this point is quite certain that these rotations don't work.

Even if you would prefer to tank, why not playing young guys extended minutes like other true tanking teams are doing? DFS is a great piece to have on the team, Brunson is showing a lot of talent then you have 2 guys in G-league who could also see minutes, if you really want to tank. And also, they have to do everything to keep Kleber, which would include giving him more than 5 minutes per game. So, Mavs do have options to go either way.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#126 » by Bob8 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:57 pm

Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Kleber 5 mins 1 block.

Because these guys could form a solid foundation for the Mavs to move forward. Or you think Wes, Barea, D. Harris are the future? :D

And they still need to play 2nd half of the season, so i would like to think that anything is possible, even making the playoffs. But not in a way they are playing right now. I think at this point is quite certain that these rotations don't work.

Even if you would prefer to tank, why not playing young guys extended minutes like other true tanking teams are doing? DFS is a great piece to have on the team, Brunson is showing a lot of talent then you have 2 guys in G-league who could also see minutes, if you really want to tank. And also, they have to do everything to keep Kleber, which would include giving him more than 5 minutes per game. So, Mavs do have options to go either way.

I would left Wes and DJ to expire, because they won’t get anything good for them anyway. The worst case scenario would be to make a trade, which would bring nothing else then few wins more. If they can get some legit top50 player for those 2 and Barnes, is a different story, but that’s not very likely.

Dirk situation is great for tanking. Let him play his last season as much as possible and get better odds in return. Win-win.
Archx
RealGM

Post#127 » by Archx » Tue Jan 8, 2019 1:31 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I would left Wes and DJ to expire, because they won’t get anything good for them anyway. The worst case scenario would be to make a trade, which would bring nothing else then few wins more. If they can get some legit top50 player for those 2 and Barnes, is a different story, but that’s not very likely.

Dirk situation is great for tanking. Let him play his last season as much as possible and get better odds in return. Win-win.

Yea sounds good on paper but Ricks rotation suggest that they are not tanking. Would obviously be better to develop some kind of young core and just let young guys play extended minutes and grow together. Right now there is some weird mixture of young guys, veterans and a grandpa coming from injury, so it's basically a total chaos.
Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#128 » by Lord Cuban » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:11 pm

Our most consistent player is our rookie. Says alot about our team.
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#129 » by juanc » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:26 pm

Me watching the Mavs past few games

Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#130 » by Darren » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:43 pm

This Mavs team is painful to watch with. This is clearly tanking attempts. Signing DJ to 25M is a huge mistakes. So as not to take on salary to gather picks. I wonder if the Mavs still insist on useless cap room or actively gather assets taking on salary for the huge expiring contract. DJ and Matthews are useless anyway. Next offseason, Barnes and Powell. To me, initiate trade talk for Porzingis is a slim hope to find a buddy as franchise cornerstone. If DJ, Wes, Dennis Smith, Brunson and 2 unprotected firsts get the Mavs Porzingis, the Mavs should do it in less than a second. And then, the Mavs should re-sign Porzingis to 40M per no matter how much risk is involved.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,019

Post#131 » by Dirk » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:08 pm

Revived wrote:Saw a stat on ESPN that the Mavs scored 30 pts the entire 2nd half and apparently 17 players have scored 30 or more in just a half the last 2 seasons.

I actually though first half was bad as well, but somehow they got a ton of points on put backs and the Lakers weren't as intense on defence. The score didn't reflect their play level.

This team has issues with playing physical and knowing what they are doing on the floor. The amount of stupid turnovers is uncanny. And having Jordan trying things he simply cannot do is just mystifying. Then again for some reason they allow Matthews to dribble the ball and post up.

Anyway --- the Mavs are in a dark place at the moment. Worse than when they lost to the Knicks many weeks back. Curious what the reaction will be.

juanc wrote:Me watching the Mavs past few games

Do you watchames as a Mavs fan or... how do you watch them?

No judgement attached, just curious.

For Mavs fans or from my personal experience, these sort of games have been too common. And I am not even talking about execution... I am talking about not being manhandled by the opponent. Seeing all these teams outmatch them athletically and in the 'heart' department is frankly embarrassing.

On the goodish news, other than the Sixers game, Luka has been solid enough. Even when he makes mistakes and doesn't feel like he has had a particularly good game, his stat sheet looks ok. So that bodes well for the future.

[Edit: should note that on the negative, some defensive plays have stood out to me lately. Caught not looking and pnr 'miscommunication']

And no to tanking. But I do hope that soon enough there aren't these aberrations... Kleber clearly should be playing more. And unfortunately, it's a NBA thing... but the Australian dude has a great game one day, the next doesn't get any burn for a team that were looking like a circus crew... frustrating.
60/21/10
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,001

Post#132 » by HMFFL » Tue Jan 8, 2019 11:56 pm

Second half Woes!
Games like this one are so disappointing. Excited about how the game is going to find out it's the opposite during the second half.
Nice job by the LA Lakers and Walton for making the adjustments needed to win.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#133 » by Teffer10 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 1:16 am

Archx wrote:

Kleber 5 mins 1 block.

Maxi not playing is simply criminal.
I honestly can't understand what in the hell Rick is thinking or what it is he is trying to do.
Maxi is probably our best two-way player and he only gets 5 mins.
I think Rick has totally lost his coaches mind.
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#134 » by burek3 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 8:16 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Kleber 5 mins 1 block.

Maxi not playing is simply criminal.
I honestly can't understand what in the hell Rick is thinking or what it is he is trying to do.
Maxi is probably our best two-way player and he only gets 5 mins.
I think Rick has totally lost his coaches mind.

Or he's playing by orders from above.
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan

Return to Dallas Mavericks