ImageImageImage

What to do with Harrison Barnes?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

What to do with Harrison Barnes? 

Post#1 » by jpengland » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:01 pm

What do we do with Barnes and his PO for next year.

I know that some disagree but I just cant see him opting out unless we agree to throw at least 4/80 at him.

Id be in favour of trying to trade him for an expiring and a small sweetner. Hes a starting level combo forward who could fill a need on tge right team as a 3 and D guy.

That would free up another 24m cap space this summer allowing us to chase free agents and also retain room to take guys on salary dumps, either to add talent or future picks.

Do we try to negotiate a smaller per year contract if he agrees to opt out, or do we jusr ride out his last year?
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: What to do with Harrison Barnes? 

Post#2 » by arkuo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Ideally he signs back at a more reasonabld rate. $18M per sounds fair. He is still good at basketball and only 27 yrs old.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#3 » by fuller4379 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:23 pm

Keep him unless someone better is willing to come to Dallas. The Mavs tend to have a grass is greener on the other side mentality.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#4 » by Archx » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:33 pm

Keep him but not for over 20M$. That's too expensive, unless he can start playing better D and raises his APG to 2 lol.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#5 » by Darren » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Try out Barnes guarding 1/2 in lineup with any PG. And see if the defense and shooting are better and more consistent. Otherwise, make a trade as a massive expiring contract.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#6 » by 2011Champs » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:31 pm

I’d offer Barnes a reasonable cap friendly contract and if he balks, I’m going straight to Trevor Ariza and offering him a decent 2 year contract. Ariza is one of those underrated guys that could really help Dallas out and a much better option than trading for Otto Porter and his superstar contract.
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#7 » by jpengland » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:09 pm

2011Champs wrote:I’d offer Barnes a reasonable cap friendly contract and if he balks, I’m going straight to Trevor Ariza and offering him a decent 2 year contract. Ariza is one of those underrated guys that could really help Dallas out and a much better option than trading for Otto Porter and his superstar contract.

Trevor Ariza is a 33 year old 3 and D guy shooting 30% from 3 and playing no D.

Ill pass, thanks.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#8 » by BlueSan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:28 pm

I would keep Barnes... especially if he continues to show trend of passing the ball more and becoming more of a spot up shooter like he has in recent games...

There are a lot of reasons to do just that.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#9 » by 2011Champs » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:53 pm

jpengland wrote:
2011Champs wrote:I’d offer Barnes a reasonable cap friendly contract and if he balks, I’m going straight to Trevor Ariza and offering him a decent 2 year contract. Ariza is one of those underrated guys that could really help Dallas out and a much better option than trading for Otto Porter and his superstar contract.

Trevor Ariza is a 33 year old 3 and D guy shooting 30% from 3 and playing no D.

Ill pass, thanks.
Ariza is shooting 30% just in his time with Washington. 36% with Phoenix.
The idea would be to sign him at like 8-10 million and he splits duties with Finney Smith as an alternative to paying Harrison Barnes or Otto Porter like 30 million a year. It’s a plan b scenario.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,893

Post#10 » by Dirk » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:25 pm

Halfway through the year, Barnes has been very good shooting the three. Trended down lately --- so definitely something to monitor, but he has been money all year from the corners, obviously in big part because he has a guy feeding him with all kinds of cross court passes.

Since so much focus is put on his passing ability. Here's the man surprising his us all..
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

At this point, I am just hoping Barnes opts in. I don't think he will be available on "a team friendly" contract.
60/21/10
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#11 » by BlueSan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:53 pm

Definitely on the spot as I have said before this game. Barnes has taken and accepted new role in this Dallas team and it is showing more each game. He is a great addition to have if he keeps this up.

I only hope DSJ will develop similarly, as then Dallas becomes a really dangerous team
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#12 » by Captain_Obvious » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:19 pm

Dirk wrote:Halfway through the year, Barnes has been very good shooting the three. Trended down lately --- so definitely something to monitor, but he has been money all year from the corners, obviously in big part because he has a guy feeding him with all kinds of cross court passes.

Since so much focus is put on his passing ability. Here's the man surprising his us all..
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

At this point, I am just hoping Barnes opts in. I don't think he will be available on "a team friendly" contract.

Ha, I remember that play too. So nice to see him expand his game and that was really a nice feed. He took that right out of the Luka playbook.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#13 » by Pointguard01 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:32 pm

Harrison Barnes has a future here. There i no reason to think we can't get him for 15-million come 2020 offseason. I've said this before but he's right around the value of a Will Barton who signed 4 years, 52-million contract (ish) and was the same age. Barnes probably a better defender, Barton a better playmaker. Barnes fits with Luka, is a guy who can switch/guard 3 positions and is young enough to work.

And I think he's a great 4th option. Could work as a #3, if we had a great playmaker/scorer next to Luka. I'm not moving him unless we get an upgrade. He fits now and should remain productive for another 4-years.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#14 » by Pinkyring » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:Harrison Barnes has a future here. There i no reason to think we can't get him for 15-million come 2020 offseason. I've said this before but he's right around the value of a Will Barton who signed 4 years, 52-million contract (ish) and was the same age. Barnes probably a better defender, Barton a better playmaker. Barnes fits with Luka, is a guy who can switch/guard 3 positions and is young enough to work.

And I think he's a great 4th option. Could work as a #3, if we had a great playmaker/scorer next to Luka. I'm not moving him unless we get an upgrade. He fits now and should remain productive for another 4-years.

Lets stop the young talk, hes been in the league like 7 years, he is what he is, he is bad defensively and dumb offensively, he should be a 6th, if we can dump him at the deadline sign me up twice.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#15 » by Pointguard01 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:36 pm

No one is arguing upside, potential or the like. We've talking about his ability to remain productive for another 4-years (I told the liberty to quote myself here). Barnes ranks #4 in the league in spot up 3 point shooting this year. His defense is far from bad, though inconsistent, and he's a switchable defender.

I don't think there is any misconception that Harrison Barnes cannot be your top 2/3 player, but he's a good starter, that can fit a long-term role and we should be able to resign reasonably come 2020.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#16 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:00 am

jpengland wrote:He (Barnes) is a starting level combo forward who could fill a need on the right team as a 3 and D guy.

Hard to imagine someone saying this with a straight face, but at least if you're going to say it, then write it as a 3 and d guy. Because if Barnes plays any defense at all, the word starts with a lower case letter.
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#17 » by jpengland » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:05 am

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
jpengland wrote:He (Barnes) is a starting level combo forward who could fill a need on the right team as a 3 and D guy.

Hard to imagine someone saying this with a straight face, but at least if you're going to say it, then write it as a 3 and d guy. Because if Barnes plays any defense at all, the word starts with a lower case letter.

Effort levels and concentration is the issue on D. He is long, switchable, can stay in front of his man and bothers shots consistently. He's trying to do too much on offense.

If he concentrated on being a great defender and just hitting those spot up 3s (no isos etc) then he absoloutely could be a very good defensive player.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by DJ_3_Ball » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:11 am

jpengland wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:

Effort levels and concentration is the issue on D. He is long, switchable, can stay in front of his man and bothers shots consistently. He's trying to do too much on offense.

If he concentrated on being a great defender and just hitting those spot up 3s (no isos etc) then he absoloutely could be a very good defensive player.

I agree with this. He certainly was a great defender in Golden State. Which is what makes his defensive effort/effectiveness in Dallas so frustrating. Also, not gonna lie. I'd have less of a problem with his performance if he wasn't make $25 mil a yr. If he were at $12-$15 mil a season, our 3rd option on offense & holding his own on defense, then I'd have a much different view of Barnes.

I mean, don't get me wrong. He's been a solid citizen and a great leader, but it is really hard to ignore how much his defensive intensity has fallen off from his Golden State days.
LIENT
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#19 » by LIENT » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:41 pm

I think over the last 3 weeks he has been great with Luka. Remember he didn’t start playing this season for about a month so it’s about now that his rust is wel and truly off. I hope he can keep this level of play up. I’d take him again on a 2 year deal, 16-18m.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by DJ_3_Ball » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:08 am

In all honesty, I've been dreading the Barnes opt in for some time now. But, I just had a look at the UFA list for the next 3 years. It's either guys who are all but certain not to sign here or guys you pray the Mavs don't sign here for big money. So, on second thought maybe Barnes isn't so bad.

I've never understood the Mavs love affair with Barnes. I do not see him as a player ever being capable of leading a team to a title & he's being paid like one, which all but eliminates your chances of ever winning a title. Think DET & Blake Griffin's contract.

I also think Barnes is a poor fit with Luka. Barnes turns into a one-on-one player far too often for my liking. It was okay his first 2 years here when there wasn't really anyone else he should fall in line behind, but now there is & he hasn't changed his game to fit the new team dynamic.

I doubt he will if he comes back for another year, but the Mavs could certainly do worse than Harrison Barnes looking at these FA lists. Yikes!

Return to Dallas Mavericks