Would you trade DSJ for

Poll ended at Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:20 am

Yes, Bamba
27%
Yes, Isaac
37%
Yes, J.Jackson
6%
No, I wouldn't trade him for any of these.
31%

Total votes: 52

Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 926

Re: Mavericks Discussing Dennis Smith Jr. Trade With Suns, Magic 

Post#141 » by Captain_Obvious » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:00 pm

Teffer10 wrote:DSJ's value is diminishing by the minute and I'm beginning to think Jackson or Isaacs might be our best bet.
Whoever we trade for better fit Rick's system and have the right attitude to play for him or we'll have another Rondo, Odom, Noel, etc....situation.

I think Jackson soon becomes a best case scenario. They shouldn't have drag this one out.

Honestly, Carlisle seems to get the best out of 3/4s like Aminu, Finney, etc. With Brunson looking good so far, I would feel good about trading DSJ for Jackson.

Hard to tell if Dennis has any value left though. He looks like a diva.
thr3ep01nte4
Junior
And1: 150

Post#142 » by thr3ep01nte4 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:09 pm

2011Champs wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:DSJ's value is diminishing by the minute and I'm beginning to think Jackson or Isaacs might be our best bet.
Whoever we trade for better fit Rick's system and have the right attitude to play for him or we'll have another Rondo, Odom, Noel, etc....situation.

I beginning to think SmithJr is virtually worthless in the trade market unless we pair him with an expiring / Wes and take back longer term unfavorable salary. Such as love
If Issac/Bamba/Jackson/Mikal etc was on the table I’d find it hard to believe we didn’t pull the trigger

Reese Konkle mentioned on the OP that Bamba for DSJ straight up has been on the table for a long time. The Mavs apparently do not like Bamba. They would've picked WCJ, had they stayed at no.5. But at this point, I doubt they can even get a guy like Bamba with DSJ acting out.
Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Post#143 » by Lowtech801 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:13 pm

I dont see a trade happening. FO says they're not gonna make a trade just to make a trade. Said it has to be an offer they can't refuse. Hopefully they aren't just bluffing. Heard on the radio they are trying to work things out with dsj to keep him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#144 » by Pointguard01 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Dallas wants to be competitive so I think they are holding off on Aaron Gordon, who instantly makes Dallas better. Replace him in the lineup for DSJ and you are significantly better. I don’t see ya going for projects like Isaac, Jackson or Bamba.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#145 » by 2011Champs » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:30 pm

How about a rumored deal with Chicago?

Kris Dunn + Jabari Parker for Dennis SmithJr + Wes Matthews
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#146 » by dirkforpres » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:31 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:Dallas wants to be competitive so I think they are holding off on Aaron Gordon, who instantly makes Dallas better. Replace him in the lineup for DSJ and you are significantly better. I don’t see ya going for projects like Isaac, Jackson or Bamba.

I don’t think a deal for Gordon is off the table. Having a bunch of PFs and Cs like Bamba, Isaac, Birch, and Vucevic make him somewhat expendable. Dallas will have to throw in something to make it work if that’s really who they want
FIRE JASON KIDD
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#147 » by 2011Champs » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:32 pm

FWIW Wes Matthews is out today with a sore wrist. Coincidence? I think not
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#148 » by Pointguard01 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:45 pm

2011Champs wrote:How about a rumored deal with Chicago?

I’m not a huge Kris Dunn fan. He’s not a good shooter, though a good defender. Absolutely no internet in Jabari. I think it’s selling DSJ low.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,242

Post#149 » by wco81 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:01 pm

Can DSJ average 20 before is rookie deal is done but he's a high usage player? He obviously won't get as much touches on the Mavs as he might on another team.

He could be a Lavine type of player when he gets out of the rookie contract.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#150 » by dirkforpres » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:13 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:
2011Champs wrote:How about a rumored deal with Chicago?

I’m not a huge Kris Dunn fan. He’s not a good shooter, though a good defender. Absolutely no internet in Jabari. I think it’s selling DSJ low.

Kris Dunn doesn’t really do it for me either. I would do Jabari and Dunn for Barnes right now. Nothing more nothing less
FIRE JASON KIDD
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#151 » by BlueSan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:39 pm

Whats the deal with Rick now saying to the media, he tried to make contact and is waiting for DSJ to come back... what kind of soap opera is Dallas doing right now, holly cow...I mean seriously this is becoming beyond ricidulous and is hurting this team a lot probably
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#152 » by deb » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:44 pm

How about DSJ+Wes for Dragic+Ellington? That's not my idea by the way, it's from the Heat forum. They're over the cap and are in the playoff spot with Dragic missing games. Ellington's out of rotation. That's why they'd be maybe willing to do it. Ellington is a better shooter than Wes and is an expiring. Dragic is currently injured, but was an all-star last year, averaged 15 ppg and 5 apg in below 30 mpg this year before the injury (played injured for a while though - negatively impacted his averages). He has a player option next year for 19 million. High basketball IQ guy, veteran, perfect for Carlisle, can play with Doncic, maybe opts out for a longer deal with less money per year. Not good defenisvely, but not terrible either. This trade makes Dallas older, but is a win now move, and I'm doubtful the Mavs can get anything young and useful in the short term for DSJ. Doubtful Riley gives Dragic up though....
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,214

Post#153 » by twix2500 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:47 pm

Has there been any rumors on what the Mavs are looking for Smith?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#154 » by Absinthe » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:10 pm

They’ll be lucky to get anything for him. They have no leverage. He’s not joining them on the road trip and teams know he’s unhappy. Why give up anything?
LIENT
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#155 » by LIENT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:31 pm

deb wrote:How about DSJ+Wes for Dragic+Ellington? That's not my idea by the way, it's from the Heat forum. They're over the cap and are in the playoff spot with Dragic missing games. Ellington's out of rotation. That's why they'd be maybe willing to do it. Ellington is a better shooter than Wes and is an expiring. Dragic is currently injured, but was an all-star last year, averaged 15 ppg and 5 apg in below 30 mpg this year before the injury (played injured for a while though - negatively impacted his averages). He has a player option next year for 19 million. High basketball IQ guy, veteran, perfect for Carlisle, can play with Doncic, maybe opts out for a longer deal with less money per year. Not good defenisvely, but not terrible either. This trade makes Dallas older, but is a win now move, and I'm doubtful the Mavs can get anything young and useful in the short term for DSJ. Doubtful Riley gives Dragic up though....

Few things would make me give up on a team. But trading DSJ for GORAN DRAGIC in 2019 is one of them. That’s not selling a dollar for 50c, that’s seling a dollar for 5c.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#156 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:13 am

Absinthe wrote:They’ll be lucky to get anything for him. They have no leverage. He’s not joining them on the road trip and teams know he’s unhappy. Why give up anything?

That’s why I wouldn’t trade him. The Mavs are not likely to get fair value for last year’s top 10 pick so there is no reason for the Mavs to trade him. The Mavs have control of his rights for 3 more seasons. Park him at the end of the bench and make him earn his spot back in the starting lineup. There’s a better chance that within the next 3 seasons he takes his head out of his ass and actually starts to contribute to the team. At that point his value will likely be higher than it is right now.

My personal opinion is that he eventually will be best suited coming off the bench to lead the 2nd unit. Basically take the role that JJ has had. Obviously he will need to work on his game before that happens but like I said, they have 3 years to work on that.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#157 » by Teffer10 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:56 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:

I think Jackson soon becomes a best case scenario. They shouldn't have drag this one out.

Honestly, Carlisle seems to get the best out of 3/4s like Aminu, Finney, etc. With Brunson looking good so far, I would feel good about trading DSJ for Jackson.

Mavs should go back to Phoenix and offer him for Jackson.
The worst thing the Mavs can do at this point is spend the next few seasons wasting time and Luka's development trying to make it work between DSJ and Rick. This is all about Luka now and the Mavs should take the best they can get at this point. If the FO couldn't see the strong possibility of this happening when they drafted Luka they either shouldn't have drafted Luka or traded DSJ on draft night. It didn't take a genius to see this train wreck coming and now they need to make the best of it.
Good God they just drafted maybe the best player since LeBron and they're wasting all of their energy on DSJ who might not even develop into all-star level. It's time to clean house and focus exclusively on Luka and the next 15 years of this franchise. DSJ is not going to be a long-term fit because he wants to be a PG so why in the hell struggle with this?

And Rick's response today was only an attempt to put the ball back into the DSJ court so to speak. I'll be shocked and pissed if DSJ is still on this team after the TDL if Isaac and/or Jackson were offered.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#158 » by Teffer10 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:14 am

twix2500 wrote:Has there been any rumors on what the Mavs are looking for Smith?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I think it is more pride than anything at this point. They clearly want too much for him and don't want to admit they'll have to receive equal or lesser value in any trade scenario.

Mavs should be please with the gem they have found in Luka and move on from DSJ. If they keep DSJ it will be adding insult to injury and the mess will only deepen. Luka does not need this sort of drama during his development, it simply is not healthy.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#159 » by fuller4379 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:53 am

Can the team fine him for not showing up? He shouldn’t be getting paid for his tantrum.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#160 » by agentofatlas » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:56 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:

I'd probably do that trade. I prefer to keep Dennis but at this point it seems his camp wants him out. Anyways per Mavs tradition he'll be back here when he is in his 30s after we trade him lol.

Return to Dallas Mavericks