ImageImageImage

Mavs have enough cap space to sign 2 max FAs next year

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Mavs have enough cap space to sign 2 max FAs next year 

Post#1 » by Soupman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:39 pm

Resign DAJ.Sign two max FAs. We'll have Barnes,DAJ,one FA, then another FA.

Marc Gasol. (if he opts out)
Nikola Vucevic
Kawhi Leonard (if he opts out and if he wants to play in Dallas)
Hassan Whiteside(if he opts out)
Kemba Walker
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Re: Mavs have enough cap space to sign 2 max FAs next year 

Post#2 » by BlueSan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Dallas cannot get a max guy...or rather none of those who would come deserves a max.

K.L. will not come
The rest are not worthy of the max

Kemba is not compatible with Luka in my opinion.

I was high on Vučevič before this season, but people were not ok back then, now people are high on him, I am not, because his "value" price tag/sallary has skyrocketed, so I would personally pass on him.

If DJ resigns, he should imo not get more than 15 mils / season and max 3 years
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#3 » by burek3 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:24 pm

Whiteside is same as DJ effort wise, so no to him.
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#4 » by deb » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Nope, Whiteside's effort is worse. He pouts constantly, takes games off, publicly questions coaches decision to not play him (he even left the bench and went to the locker room once in clutch time), tries to do even more than DAJ when he's about as offensively deficient as him. He won't opt out because no one will offer him 27 million a year.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,838

Post#5 » by dirkforpres » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:43 pm

I want Deandre back. He’s been great and him and Doncic work well together... not for more than 18 or so a year though.

I just can’t wait for Barnes and Matthews to GTFO
FIRE JASON KIDD
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,922

Post#6 » by arkuo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:17 pm

What you guys need to see is this team for the next 4 years is a "bridge team". These guys will in no way, shape or form will be with us when we start competiting seriously when Luka is 25 or so.

That being said, DJ, Wesley, Barea, Barnes and Harris will long be gone once Luka hits 25 years old. This is comparable to the Celtics team before they got Tatum, Kyrie etc. Remember when they had like Avery Bradley and Amir Johnson starting while collecting draft picks that turned out to be Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum? We are at that stage of the rebuilding process.

So signing DJ and/Barnes is fine as long as their contracts steer clear of 2021, IMO. That will be when we'd be ready to compete and when the current GSW dream team is on the decline.
Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Post#7 » by Soupman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:31 pm

We need 3pt shooting. Resign Wesley and Barnes.

Kemba 25.2 ppg, .361 3pt% with 5.7 apg
Otto Porter Jr .392
Barnes .412
Luka .373
Wesley .384
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 827

Post#8 » by Darren » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:13 pm

DJ as starter? Not if all of a sudden, DJ refind the jumping ability.
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#9 » by stilldropin20 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:42 am

I want to push back on the idea that max free agents wont come to dallas.

Luka Doncic changes that. he's that good. fans love him. refs love him. TV is going to want him. I predict the mavs will have at least 25 games on TNT or ESPN next year. If the mavs get a great player in the offseason they will have as many games as Lakers and GSW.

kawhi would be the #1 target if he ops out. Then Jimmy butler if he plays nice with Luka/carlise and stays in his lane of the #2 option.

dallas then needs an elite 3 and D role player...something like a prime bruce bowen.

its time to let DAJ, mathews, and perhaps even Dirk go. unless dirk signs for vet min and DAJ and Mathews come back for 10 and 5 Million respectively.

mavs need athletes that can run, rebound, defend and shoot. They dont need to be able to score on their own as Luka will feed them baskets in their comfort zone to score.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#10 » by DJ_3_Ball » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:51 am

Soupman wrote:We need 3pt shooting. Resign Wesley and Barnes.

Kemba 25.2 ppg, .361 3pt% with 5.7 apg
Otto Porter Jr .392
Barnes .412
Luka .373
Wesley .384

I am going to my first Mavs game this season in 4 years to make sure I see Dirk play before he retires. (I watch a lot of games on TV, and would go more often if I could afford to).

If the Mavs resign Wes Matthews, I will not attend another game until he is no longer on the roster. That is the single worst idea I have heard since the Mavs traded for Rajon Rondo.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,074

Post#11 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:21 am

I’ll be surprised if Deandre resigns with the Mavs. He’s going to have to take a pay cut and if he’s going to take less money I think he’ll want to go to a team with a better chance at winning.

I also don’t see them landing a top tier free agent like KD or Kawhi. They could still improve their team though with 2nd tier free agents though. They’ll have to money to add guys like Kris Middleton, Vucevic and a backup guard like Malcolm Brogdon.
gh123
Sixth Man
And1: 1,197

Post#12 » by gh123 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:36 am

I expect Luka to attract FAs, but not next summer. We should focus on collecting and developing youngsters, get a good coach, keep our powder dry and go all-in in summer 2020.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,922

Post#13 » by arkuo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Cuban will be the first one to offer Demarcus Cousins a max this summer. Book it.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,067

Post#14 » by Archx » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:57 pm

gh123 wrote:I expect Luka to attract FAs, but not next summer. We should focus on collecting and developing youngsters, get a good coach, keep our powder dry and go all-in in summer 2020.

What do you expect Rick to do though? He already reduced DSJ's role and minutes because of his boneheaded play. He doesn't have any rookie besides Brunson who deserves minutes specially when Mavs are pushing for playoffs. He also made a lot of lineup adjustments including give Luka significantly bigger role and more minutes, which is working nicely so far.
But apart from Barnes, Mavs have no other scorer. Wesley is terrible, DAJ plays no D even though advance stats show that he is apparently the best defensive C lmao...
So i have no clue what do you guys expect Rick to do at this point? It's not his fault that Barnes and Wesley are terrible in the last 5 mins of the game. My only criticism is constant posting up of Wes and Barnes and Ryan not getting more minutes. Other than that, i think Rick did everything in his power to win games. And keep in mind, if Luka was in his prime right now i would bet 1M $ that 80% of their close games would have been a W. Or it maybe wouldn't even be that close and Mavs would have won easily.
gh123
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by gh123 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:15 pm

Archx wrote:
gh123 wrote:I expect Luka to attract FAs, but not next summer. We should focus on collecting and developing youngsters, get a good coach, keep our powder dry and go all-in in summer 2020.

?What do you expect Rick to do though He already reduced DSJ's role and minutes because of his boneheaded play. He doesn't have any rookie besides Brunson who deserves minutes specially when Mavs are pushing for playoffs. He also made a lot of lineup adjustments including give Luka significantly bigger role and more minutes, which is working nicely so far.
But apart from Barnes, Mavs have no other scorer. Wesley is terrible, DAJ plays no D even though advance stats show that he is apparently the best defensive C lmao...
So i have no clue what do you guys expect Rick to do at this point? It's not his fault that Barnes and Wesley are terrible in the last 5 mins of the game. My only criticism is constant posting up of Wes and Barnes and Ryan not getting more minutes. Other than that, i think Rick did everything in his power to win games. And keep in mind, if Luka was in his prime right now i would bet 1M $ that 80% of their close games would have been a W. Or it maybe wouldn't even be that close and Mavs would have won easily.

To leave and never come back.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:20 pm

arkuo wrote:Cuban will be the first one to offer Demarcus Cousins a max this summer. Book it.

Well that will definitely keep the powder dry because he’ll be wasting his time with Boogie. No way in hell he leaves Golden State.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#17 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:22 pm

Give it up already, Carlisle is a lifer here. He’s not going anywhere. Besides being the absolute best coach for this team the Cuban loves Rick.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#18 » by Pinkyring » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:13 pm

Re signing dj to a big deal is a horrible idea, idk what happens with dsj but if boogie shows he's 80% of his old self that should be our first call, 4/100 with a po after 3. Im not in the market for signing role players to high contracts so daj can go and i wouldn't want to keep barnes either
gh123
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by gh123 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Pinkyring wrote:Re signing dj to a big deal is a horrible idea, idk what happens with dsj but if boogie shows he's 80% of his old self that should be our first call, 4/100 with a po after 3. Im not in the market for signing role players to high contracts so daj can go and i wouldn't want to keep barnes either

Signing trash like Wes\Barnes\Daj for big contracts is the worst thing that could happen going forward. We shouldn't sign anyone who is looking to get more than 15 mpg but is not in our timeline.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,067

Post#20 » by Archx » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:35 pm

Pinkyring wrote:Re signing dj to a big deal is a horrible idea, idk what happens with dsj but if boogie shows he's 80% of his old self that should be our first call, 4/100 with a po after 3. Im not in the market for signing role players to high contracts so daj can go and i wouldn't want to keep barnes either

You don't think Boogie will cause locker room problems? We know Rick is a non BS guy and Boogie does have a temper.

Return to Dallas Mavericks