ImageImageImage

Realistic ideal team this season into next.

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Re: Realistic ideal team this season into next. 

Post#21 » by dirkforpres » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:57 pm

Ideal team would be

Brunson
Middleton
Doncic
Harris
Vucevic

Get guys like Beverley, Powell, DFS off the bench and that’s a pretty interesting team
FIRE JASON KIDD
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#22 » by Darren » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:40 pm

The only realistic option is the fans can choose whether or not continue to watch unwatchable games. The Mavs rebuilding would be ongoing process with quite some drawbacks by poor decision making. Rookies have to play key roles. This Mavs team will not be contender any soon unless Dallas is moved to the East.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Post#23 » by jpengland » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:38 pm

Lowtech801 wrote:Not interested in spending over 18m/yr on a center unless they can do it all like Joker. Otherwise I'd rather try to find decent value at that position.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Essentially, this.

The value from a C (outside of elite all NBA level Cs) is rim protection, PnR defense and catching lobs.

You can get that sub 10m, easily.
Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Post#24 » by Lowtech801 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:50 pm

Apz wrote:Luka, DSJ, Brunson, Macon
Broekhoff, ?
DFS, ?
Kleber, Kostas, Spalding
?, ?

You're being too much of a fanboy with our young guys. Broekhoff dfs and kleber are not starters. Sure maybe one day but not this season or the next if you wanna be a competitive team.

Cuban has already said he's done tanking and wants to start making playoff runs. Lets keep that in mind when talking about what we wanna see.

If we're gonna be keeping dsj id like too see if we can get tobias harris and get him to play at pf while playing barnes at the small forward. Ultimately I'm not high on barnes but feel like we would have to take back a bad contract to get rid of him. I wouldnt mind him staying long term but at a much lower price that can be tradeable if somethibg better falls into our laps.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#25 » by Apz » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:01 pm

But we dont have the assets to become competive in west next season. Maybe if all gods smiles at us and we get like the no1 pick in draft would make us a FA target for guys like kawhi and such, but I think we will be very dissapointed when next season starts. Like Cuban signing Cousins for 30m/5 and he **** up lockerroom before season starts and then we are **** for 5 years with an unmovable contract, and experience that Luka probably leaves on UFA as soon as he can.

Now, GSW might not have 5 allstars next year, but trying to be competive from where we are now should be locked on when GSW is dismantled
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#26 » by Apz » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:01 pm

Was supposed to be 30/4
Lowtech801
Senior

Post#27 » by Lowtech801 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:54 am

When i say competitive i just mean a team solidly in the playoffs. For next season I'm happy just getting a guy or two that fit well with luka. Guys that keep the floor stretched on offense that are also pretty good defenders. No big name free agent is coming here until then. Even if Luka is looking like a legit star. If we arent being competitive and at least getting into the playoffs, than nobody's gonna come here.

Also, I hope we dont go after boogie. Rather have a good power forward so we can move barnes to the 3 for his last yr here. If we keep him here beyond that it better be in the 12-15m range or else let him go elsewhere.

juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#28 » by juanc » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:59 am

It would be nice if Dallas can sign Maxi and DFS at around 20mil for 3 seasons. I think they both deserve that money. And they are perfect fit next to Luka. I would also love to see DSJ in Dallas the net season. I think the DSJ-Luka combo will only get better and better.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#29 » by Teffer10 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:51 pm

juanc wrote:It would be nice if Dallas can sign Maxi and DFS at around 20mil for 3 seasons. I think they both deserve that money. And they are perfect fit next to Luka. I would also love to see DSJ in Dallas the net season. I think the DSJ-Luka combo will only get better and better.

Agree with the first part but not the second.

I do think DSJ/Luka could get better and work but I don't think it will because Dennis seems to want to be the Alpha Dog at PG. I can't really blame him because he knows he won't get that opportunity here so I don't see him settling in a lesser role at a different position. Similar to a guy who is a natural QB but is asked to become a WR because they just drafted a better QB. The guy would simply be happier playing QB on a different team in most situations.

I hope he increases his value enough to get a good return by the TDL or at least enough for a draft day trade with a lotto team like Orlando that desperately needs a PG.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,019

Post#30 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:13 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
juanc wrote:It would be nice if Dallas can sign Maxi and DFS at around 20mil for 3 seasons. I think they both deserve that money. And they are perfect fit next to Luka. I would also love to see DSJ in Dallas the net season. I think the DSJ-Luka combo will only get better and better.

I do think DSJ/Luka could get better and work but I don't think it will because Dennis seems to want to be the Alpha Dog at PG. I can't really blame him because he knows he won't get that opportunity here so I don't see him settling in a lesser role at a different position. Similar to a guy who is a natural QB but is asked to become a WR because they just drafted a better QB. The guy would simply be happier playing QB on a different team in most situations.

I hope he increases his value enough to get a good return by the TDL or at least enough for a draft day trade with a lotto team like Orlando that desperately needs a PG.

I think the best chance to get good value from DSJ is to trade him during the draft. There are very few quality PG’s expected to go in the lottery but there will be about 10 teams in the lottery that will need a PG. The Mavs could be able to at least get a top 10 pick back for Dennis.
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#31 » by juanc » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:18 pm

Mr B wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

I think the best chance to get good value from DSJ is to trade him during the draft. There are very few quality PG’s expected to go in the lottery but there will be about 10 teams in the lottery that will need a PG. The Mavs could be able to at least get a top 10 pick back for Dennis.

And who would you draft with that top10 pick?
Luka is at his best when he has another ballhandler next to him. That was the case with the slovenian nt and that was the case with RM.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#32 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:26 pm

juanc wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Agree with the first part but not the second.

And who would you draft with that top10 pick?
Luka is at his best when he has another ballhandler next to him. That was the case with the slovenian nt and that was the case with RM.

They still have Brunson who plays well next to Luka. Plus I expect they will bring in another ball handler in FA. As for who I would draft, I honestly have no idea. It would depend on what pick they can get and who is available. Also I haven’t spent much time yet studying the guys that are expected to go in the top 10.
Lowtech801
Senior

Post#33 » by Lowtech801 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:48 pm

Mr B wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

Neither cuban, donnie or carlisle are interested in trading DSJ for a pick. They want a player thats already in the league and if thats all they're getting I'm sure they'll keep him.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#34 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:13 am

Lowtech801 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Agree with the first part but not the second.

Neither cuban, donnie or carlisle are interested in trading DSJ for a pick. They want a player thats already in the league and if thats all they're getting I'm sure they'll keep him.

I definitely wouldn’t be upset if they kept him. I just think that if Dennis is still telling the team he wants to be traded to a team where he can be the lead guard and if the Mavs are still getting lowball offers (for vets) then a top 10 pick might be their best option and the highest value they can get.
Lowtech801
Senior

Post#35 » by Lowtech801 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:26 am

Mr B wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I definitely wouldn’t be upset if they kept him. I just think that if Dennis is still telling the team he wants to be traded to a team where he can be the lead guard and if the Mavs are still getting lowball offers (for vets) then a top 10 pick might be their best option and the highest value they can get.
Sure but if he really wants to he traded I'd go with the best offer regardless of weather or not thats the team he wants to go to.

Plus i doubt he tries to sit out again and we can keep him for at least another season as he still has 2 left after this year on his rookie contract. So the team can really call the shots.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#36 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:30 am

Lowtech801 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:Neither cuban, donnie or carlisle are interested in trading DSJ for a pick. They want a player thats already in the league and if thats all they're getting I'm sure they'll keep him.

Sure but if he really wants to he traded I'd go with the best offer regardless of weather or not thats the team he wants to go to.

I agree 100%. The team he wants to go to though might be making the best offer though.
Lowtech801
Senior

Post#37 » by Lowtech801 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:34 am

Mr B wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I agree 100%. The team he wants to go to though might be making the best offer though.
Ok but because of the amt of control the mavs have over DSJ I doubt they trade him until they get a player they like and I'm pretty sure they don't view a pick as what they really want.

Return to Dallas Mavericks