No
69%

Total votes: 16

Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

The Conley/Gasol idea 

Post#1 » by Imon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:27 am

So I was listening to the BS podcast today and they threw out a possible trade of Gasol and Conley for DeAndre, Wes, and DSJ.

Basically the Mavs would get two vets on big contracts and the Grizz would be able to start with a clean slate. Of course I don't think the Grizz would do this trade but it is intriguing.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Re: Mavs 2018-19 Trades & Roster ideas 

Post#2 » by 2011Champs » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:24 am

Imon wrote:So I was listening to the BS podcast today and they threw out a possible trade of Gasol and Conley for DeAndre, Wes, and DSJ.

Basically the Mavs would get two vets on big contracts and the Grizz would be able to start with a clean slate. Of course I don't think the Grizz would do this trade but it is intriguing.
expand that trade just a bit:
Gasol
Conley
Parsons

For

DeAndre
Barnes
Wes
DSJ

That might be a little more difficult for Memphis to pass on.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#3 » by arkuo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:31 am

2011Champs wrote:
Imon wrote:So I was listening to the BS podcast today and they threw out a possible trade of Gasol and Conley for DeAndre, Wes, and DSJ.

expand that trade just a bit:
Gasol
Conley
Parsons

For

DeAndre
Barnes
Wes
DSJ

That might be a little more difficult for Memphis to pass on.

That's a corporate bail out package for the Memphis franchise.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#4 » by Jkam31 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:12 am

No ya Memphis trade Conley/Gasol ok the same deal doesn’t maximize there return potential.

Y’all should focus on a deal surrounding DSJ/Conley

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#5 » by Pointguard01 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:32 pm

I heard this too.

I have no interest in this. Gasol and Conley are ‘right now’ players and Dallas is, at best, a 5th-6th seee with this team. And both these players could decline as early as next season.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#6 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:40 am

Pointguard01 wrote:

I heard this too.

I have no interest in this. Gasol and Conley are ‘right now’ players and Dallas is, at best, a 5th-6th seee with this team. And both these players could decline as early as next season.

It is an interesting idea but I agree the direction is maybe not what Dallas should do. I feel like the Mavs would want to find out through the grapevine if Gasol would opt out next year and resign for cheaper. That way they get a little extra cap room to go after someone in FA and then Doncic/Gasol/Conley may be more attractive to a free agent. You also could include Barnes instead of Matthews if you were trying to get out of his cap hit next season, but I think he's a decent player. If you did, I'd see what you could get from SAC asset-wise and just reroute the expiring contracts to Memphis.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#7 » by the_process » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:10 pm

DAL gets Gasol and Parsons
MEM gets Jordan, Chandler, and Fultz
PHI gets Matthews and Green
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#8 » by BlueSan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:05 pm

the_process wrote:DAL gets Gasol and Parsons
MEM gets Jordan, Chandler, and Fultz
PHI gets Matthews and Green

No idea whatsoever why that would be good for Dallas? Hah
Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Re: The Conley/Gasol idea 

Post#9 » by Lowtech801 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:10 am

Im out on Gasol. But would love to have Conley because he's exactly the type of pg that carlisle would love. A good shooter distributor and defender that can play on or off the ball.

Conley for wes, dsj and powell or conley for barnes, dsj and a pick

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
LIENT
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#10 » by LIENT » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:01 am

Are those posts talking about bringing Parsons back from Memphis through a trade a joke?

I hope they are. I don't want Parsons anywhere near Luka.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,980

Post#11 » by Apz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:15 am

Nah, really not intrested. Too big contracts, too old. Sure they are good, but wont make a difference. Either u are top 8 or u go for 15th. Dont want to get stuck in nomansland.

Dal should get some that can develope around Luka. Maybe like 3 years oolder at max, and keep like DFS, Kleber and such around til roster is filled with the ones they need.

But can bite with a counteroffer.
We eat Gasols contract, if we get JJJ. U can have matthews and powell for that=)
Lowtech801
Senior

Post#12 » by Lowtech801 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:53 am

Apz wrote:Nah, really not intrested. Too big contracts, too old. Sure they are good, but wont make a difference. Either u are top 8 or u go for 15th. Dont want to get stuck in nomansland.

Dal should get some that can develope around Luka. Maybe like 3 years oolder at max, and keep like DFS, Kleber and such around til roster is filled with the ones they need.

We eat Gasols contract, if we get JJJ. U can have matthews and powell for that=)
Sub out conley for dsj and get a good not even great pf in the off season and we def would be top 8.

Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Apz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:53 am

Lowtech801 wrote:
Apz wrote:Nah, really not intrested. Too big contracts, too old. Sure they are good, but wont make a difference. Either u are top 8 or u go for 15th. Dont want to get stuck in nomansland.

Sub out conley for dsj and get a good not even great pf in the off season and we def would be top 8.

What? Not sure how u mean. Need to cut somewhere and offer assets. DSJ making like 3.8m, conley 30m+, and goes up to something like 35m next 3 years. We would have to ditch like DJ and powell too i guess. Then play like Mejhri as center for conleys contract. Nah, dont think we will make top 8 in west with that
Lowtech801
Senior

Post#14 » by Lowtech801 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:58 am

Apz wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:

What? Not sure how u mean. Need to cut somewhere and offer assets. DSJ making like 3.8m, conley 30m+, and goes up to something like 35m next 3 years. We would have to ditch like DJ and powell too i guess. Then play like Mejhri as center for conleys contract. Nah, dont think we will make top 8 in west with that
Wes powell and dsj for conley

Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Apz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:00 am

Or if u meant we should take both, which takes all our cap and more. Wouldnt even be able to get new deals with like Kleber, DFS and so on. We cant go for win now since we dont have the assets. We should build around Luka with young guys, and when they getting a few years older and have grown those that run the show now will be gone. Like GSW wont have any of their top players, Harden will be more or less gone and so on. IF we want to built a championship team that lasts it have to be allowed to take time to build it. We cant build it by 2 FA signings. Mean, GSW got 142m in salaries and we 100. Its a different world to build from scratch and get ppl to want to come to Dallas instead of bribing ppl to come
Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Apz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:06 am

You posted while I wrote last haha. Anyway, conley turns 32 this year. Got worse stats in both FG and 3P then DSJ this season. Im not sure I want it. Also got worse 3p% then .......wes matthews
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#17 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:57 am

Apz wrote:
Lowtech801 wrote:

Mike Conley has two more years on his contract. $32.5 mil then $34.5 mil. Then Conley is UFA in 2021. His contract still fits if the plan is to go after Giannis in 2021. Pretty much handcuffs the team for the next two seasons though. Especially when you factor in Gasol’s $25.5 mil for next season.
chokingmav
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#18 » by chokingmav » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:03 am

Apz wrote:You posted while I wrote last haha. Anyway, conley turns 32 this year. Got worse stats in both FG and 3P then DSJ this season. Im not sure I want it. Also got worse 3p% then .......wes matthews

Don’t let stats fool you. Conley Is the superior player in all aspects of the game. I have to disagree with most on this pole. I love the idea of giving Doncic the chance to play with a couple of intelligent, experienced players who also happen to still be all-NBA defenders for a couple of years. Doncic will still be very young as their contracts expire, and recruiting players to a playoff team (even a lower seed) will be easier than attracting them to a cellar dweller. If Memphis is desperate for a reboot. I would love to see the Mavs swing a deal that sheds some of our dead weight (I really don’t see us doing better in free agency this summer).
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#19 » by VCfor3 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:51 pm

I saw someone propose a Gasol/Drummond swap in a big Conley+Gasol to Detroit trade and I wondered if you guys would prefer Drummond to Gasol. He is younger and his contract lines up with Conley, but that eats a lot of your cap up for the next few years.

And myself and most other Memphis fans would be all over a DSJ+filler of you choice for Conley type trade even though I'm not as high on DSJ as most. I'd love for Memphis to find a way to get DFS as well but I don't think we have the right assets for that.
Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Apz » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:10 pm

Im not very high on drummond, but I must admit I made a suggestion on some twitter that dallas should swap DSJ/DJ for Drummond/Kennard. Most to get the center issue out the window for a few years and get a young shooter. And have FO less money they can ruin in even worse deals in the summer

Return to Dallas Mavericks