Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,007

Mavs new guy, Justin Jackson 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Thu Feb 7, 2019 10:58 am

Spoiler:
Let us know why JJ failed to hop on the unstoppable Kings train to the elite of the league.
City of Trees wrote:

codydaze wrote:

dckingsfan wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
60/21/10
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Re: Mavs new guy, Cap Space, I mean Justin Jackson 

Post#2 » by dirkforpres » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:11 pm

Not really expecting him to be much of a contributor so really anything he gives us will be a pleasant surprise to me. I love what Donnie has done this year though. Simply brilliant
FIRE JASON KIDD
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#3 » by realEAST » Thu Feb 7, 2019 2:31 pm

I think you're going to be plesantly surprised - not a spectacular guy, but hard working player on both ends with good BBIQ guy and pretty good lenght for position, who can hit 3s. Pretty good fit as rotation wing for 15-20 mins a night.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#4 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Feb 7, 2019 3:06 pm

JJ needs to perform when he gets the chance and he needs to focus on D not being a hero. We have the rest of the team set with Luka KP and whoever we get with cap space.

The existing SF's Ryan and Dorian are decent enough and both can play SG if needed. Ryan has the better 3 point shooting threat so he needs to see more minutes. Dorian is the better defender. JJ has a new start and needs to take advantage and work hard to earn minutes or he will be gone.

Hopefully we add a center with that CS. If its a SF some of these guys are going to need to be moved. Mejri I am hearing is going to be cut.

SF 3 Ryan DFS JJ
C 1.5 Powell Kleber KP
PF 1.5 Powell Kleber KP
SG 2 Tim Lee
PG 3 Luka Burke Brunson

Dirk is retired next season JJB and Harris are probably done as well and ZBO is not ever going to play for us.
Adding Kostas when he develops is the plan but he is a project and we cannot count on that ever happening.

We have 4 spots open and if Dirk does decide to come back then we are going to add him.

Probably we will draft one and sign 2 or 3 in free agency. That is just my prediction. Trades can always happen.

KP can play either the 4 or 5 so he is a flexible but whoever we get it would be nice if they were a defensive rebounding monster.

Vuc is a great choice but so is Cousins if healthy and Vuc is healthier and younger.

Assuming we could get Vuc then would we not want to draft a best available player with our 2nd. That leaves one other FA.
NOTE: Depending on who is cut from teams at the TDL we may add more talent that way. We may trade our 2nd round pick away for someone we want.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Re: Harrison Barnes to Sacramento Kings 

Post#5 » by blind prophet » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:05 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:Any hope Justin Jackson can turn out decent? 15th pick 2017 so can't be entirely hopeless?

Jackson has all around game.

Can spot shoot, score off the dribble drive, lean and capable defender.

But inconsistent.

Confidence seems to come and go. Not a bad prospect.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,530

Re: Mavs new guy, Justin Jackson 

Post#6 » by codydaze » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:59 pm

Dirk wrote:Image

Spoiler:
Let us know why JJ failed to hop on the unstoppable Kings train to the elite of the league.
City of Trees wrote:

codydaze wrote:

dckingsfan wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

I was probably one of the biggest Justin Jackson haters around last year, through the summer and even to begin this year but he really started to come around and show some flashes more recently. He's got a decent floater game, is getting a more consistent outside shot and moves really well on defense. He can be really frustrating at times but I think he can definitely turn into a solid player.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#7 » by Darren » Thu Feb 7, 2019 6:48 pm

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/justin-jackson

Sounds like a contributer if the barriers of limited lateral quickness and lacking explosiveness could be resolved. But for now, DFS sounds a lot better. Long wingspan, smart, big stage performer, versatile, hardworker make team pause about the potential of a 3D player.

As reported, Zobo might not even report to Mavs while Mejri is on waiver request. I think the Mavs wants to give a third-string role to Kosta and evaluate whether or not Powell worth keeping around. I still expect the Mavs to try out some Yogi Ferrell until the end of the season with Yogi-lite, Jet-lite, McBucket-lite, Maxi-lite or DFS-lite. The Mavs can offer UFA with insurance spot. I don't expect the Mavs to add a win-now piece. Right now, the Mavs has so many new pieces at backcourt. It seems to me that besides Hardaway, none seems to play better overall than Wes. It takes some time to see who gets minutes.
Suka Bongcic
Senior
And1: 105

Post#8 » by Suka Bongcic » Fri Feb 8, 2019 12:34 am

Considering the current wings, Jackson should see time backing up dfs. In college he was a great 3 point shooter that also excelled in taking 1 dribble and throwing up a floater. He was always super skinny and gaining weight also seemed to be the determine factor on his success imo. He was a fine defender in college as well. Not the fleetest of foot, but solid footwork and good touch for around the rim and in general as a scorer. He can be a core rotation player imo. Just needs to be more consistent with his J at the moment
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#9 » by SOUNDCHASER » Wed Apr 3, 2019 4:06 am

Okay now we can talk.

After he led the team in scoring with his mavs seaon high, the new 6'8" kids performance turned some heads.

With Brunson's emergence this potential development could impact what the MBT target in the off season.

There are a few games left to see if this is a real deal or fools gold so hopefully the staff will work to get him some more time on the floor.

With Luka, KP and Brunson looking like starters for next season the addition of another 6'8" SF that can score would mean we need to go after Vucevic or Cousins because center is the lone remaining weak link.

Brunson
Luka
Jackson
KP
Vucevic

Bench:
Burke/ Barea
Ryan/ Hardaway/ Lee
DFS
Powell/ Kostas
Kleber/

Draft: currently 3 prospective centers are available with our second round pick at 36.
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/udoka-azubuike
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/tacko-fall
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jontay-porter surprised if he falls to us this low since his brother went so high.
https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

There is always a small chance we benefit from the lottery to get into the top 4 picks but I won't let my hopes get up for that prospect.

Hardaway has left the door open by getting hurt.

Burke has made the most of minutes lately as well.

Late season developments also include recent impressive shooting by Broekhoff as he continues to lead the team in 3 point FG%

Jackson is a high pick so he may be developing more with the playing time we give him. Taken at 16 he should be a player worth investing time in.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3138156/justin-jackson

With DFS and Ryan also showing talent the SF position is looking to be some what deep.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#10 » by daoneandonly » Wed Apr 3, 2019 3:27 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:Okay now we can talk.

After he led the team in scoring with his mavs seaon high, the new 6'8" kids performance turned some heads.

With Brunson's emergence this potential development could impact what the MBT target in the off season.

There are a few games left to see if this is a real deal or fools gold so hopefully the staff will work to get him some more time on the floor.

With Luka, KP and Brunson looking like starters for next season the addition of another 6'8" SF that can score would mean we need to go after Vucevic or Cousins because center is the lone remaining weak link.

Brunson
Luka
Jackson
KP
Vucevic

Bench:
Burke/ Barea
Ryan/ Hardaway/ Lee
DFS
Powell/ Kostas
Kleber/

Draft: currently 3 prospective centers are available with our second round pick at 36.
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/udoka-azubuike
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/tacko-fall
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jontay-porter surprised if he falls to us this low since his brother went so high.
https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

There is always a small chance we benefit from the lottery to get into the top 4 picks but I won't let my hopes get up for that prospect.

Hardaway has left the door open by getting hurt.

Burke has made the most of minutes lately as well.

Late season developments also include recent impressive shooting by Broekhoff as he continues to lead the team in 3 point FG%

Jackson is a high pick so he may be developing more with the playing time we give him. Taken at 16 he should be a player worth investing time in.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3138156/justin-jackson

With DFS and Ryan also showing talent the SF position is looking to be some what deep.

Brunson is not a starter on a winning team, his offensive game does not make up for his piss poor D. And with Luka, you just cant win with both of them trying to guard people. Brunson is a fine bench player ala Barea, but nothing more
LukaMagic
Senior
And1: 679

Post#11 » by LukaMagic » Wed Apr 3, 2019 5:56 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Brunson is not a starter on a winning team, his offensive game does not make up for his piss poor D. And with Luka, you just cant win with both of them trying to guard people. Brunson is a fine bench player ala Barea, but nothing more

I don't agree with that.. But fine if that is what you believe.

The better question imo is, is there anyone better available in FA or via trade that won't kill our capspace? Because to be fair, we don't really need much out of starting PG position in terms of running the team and ISO plays. Beverly comes to mind, but he might be pricey and he is getting up there in age..
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,950

Post#12 » by Archx » Wed Apr 3, 2019 6:15 pm

LukaMagic wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

The better question imo is, is there anyone better available in FA or via trade that won't kill our capspace? Because to be fair, we don't really need much out of starting PG position in terms of running the team and ISO plays. Beverly comes to mind, but he might be pricey and he is getting up there in age..

Yeah i don't agree either. I think Brunson is developing into that type of player who will bully you all game long and eventually get his way. Obviously his defense could need some work, but he has shown us that he's not afraid to use his body to stop someone. I said it 10 games into the season and i'll say it again, i can't see anyone function better at the guard spot with Luka than Jalen. These two can just grow together and develop great chemistry, something DSJ was destined to, but ultimately proven that he is too dumb to do that.

And since this is Jackon's topic. I think he adds instant offense to this team and he will probably be a very valuable player from the bench or even a starting SG/SF. Mavs really do have some interesting young pieces and since they won't compete for a championship for the next 2 -3 seasons, i think they can just ride the wave and see how they develop.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#13 » by Pinkyring » Fri Apr 5, 2019 4:30 pm

Archx wrote:
LukaMagic wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Yeah i don't agree either. I think Brunson is developing into that type of player who will bully you all game long and eventually get his way. Obviously his defense could need some work, but he has shown us that he's not afraid to use his body to stop someone. I said it 10 games into the season and i'll say it again, i can't see anyone function better at the guard spot with Luka than Jalen. These two can just grow together and develop great chemistry, something DSJ was destined to, but ultimately proven that he is too dumb to do that.

And since this is Jackon's topic. I think he adds instant offense to this team and he will probably be a very valuable player from the bench or even a starting SG/SF. Mavs really do have some interesting young pieces and since they won't compete for a championship for the next 2 -3 seasons, i think they can just ride the wave and see how they develop.

Brunson isn't a starter for this type of team where u need to put athleticism, defense and shooting around luka and kp, that said he is a quality backup, as for jackson, sell, sell, sell,, if he has any value id move him this summer, try to package him with lee for a lesser expiring to open up more cap
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#14 » by Darren » Sun Apr 7, 2019 2:07 am

If JJ can play any defense, the Mavs gets a starter material in Barnes deal. But as of now, I am not a fan with JJ's defense which is barely as good as Brunson and Broekhoff. Offensively, JJ exceeds expectation. The Mavs need knockdown defenders badly from 1-5. JJ has potential to fill this role. I expect Hezonja who's the best friend of Zinger on NYK, to be with Mavs next offseason. I think Mario could be had at BAE or even less.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,010

Post#15 » by Mr B » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:06 am

I don’t know about you guys. It I was really impressed with Jackson the last few games. He was hitting the 3 pretty consistently and played solid defense. With his long lanky frame he kind of reminds me of Tayshaun Prince. I remember some Kings were not too happy about him being included in that Harrison Barnes trade. I think he actually beats out DFS for that starting SF position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#16 » by Teffer10 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:31 pm

Mr B wrote:I don’t know about you guys. It I was really impressed with Jackson the last few games. He was hitting the 3 pretty consistently and played solid defense. With his long lanky frame he kind of reminds me of Tayshaun Prince. I remember some Kings were not too happy about him being included in that Harrison Barnes trade. I think he actually beats out DFS for that starting SF position.

I'm okay with Jackson but only see him as an upgrade offensively to DFS but not the defender.
Seems like a Matt Barnes type of player who is a little scrappy and will hang around the league for a while but not make much of an impact.
Maybe if he gets a little stronger and learns to not play straight-legged defense he'll find a nice niche on this team.
Not sure about the starter part buy he definitely should beat out DFS as a role player of some sort.

Most likely one or two of Jackson, Brunson and Powell will be starters next season. All of them are borderline starters on sub-par teams so we vastly need to upgrade at 1 or 2 of those 3 positions.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#17 » by bran muffin » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Justin Jackson is the latest successful reclamation projects by Rick Carlisle. His final 19 games of this season:

22.3 mpg
    10.5 ppg
    2.9 rpg
    51.7% FG
    39.1% 3P
    76.2% FT
Mavs will have Justin Jackson on a rookie contract for two more seasons. After that, he'll be a restricted free agent and the Mavs own his rights. I think Jackson is going to be a long-term building block for the Mavs, along with Brunson, Porzingis and Luka.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#18 » by arkuo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:51 pm

bran muffin wrote:Justin Jackson is the latest successful reclamation projects by Rick Carlisle. His final 19 games of this season:

22.3 mpg
    10.5 ppg
    2.9 rpg
    51.7% FG
    39.1% 3P
    76.2% FT
Mavs will have Justin Jackson on a rookie contract for two more seasons. After that, he'll be a restricted free agent and the Mavs own his rights. I think Jackson is going to be a long-term building block for the Mavs, along with Brunson, Porzingis and Luka.

I have high hopes for THJ as a Carlisle reclamation project too. He'll be here for at least two more seasons so if he can be Wes Matthews pre-achilles injury then that would be awesome.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#19 » by arkuo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:46 pm

Does Justin Jackson remind anyone of a Kevin Martin?
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,010

Post#20 » by Mr B » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:27 pm

arkuo wrote:Does Justin Jackson remind anyone of a Kevin Martin?

A little in the way he’s built but Martin was a much better scorer. The Matt Barnes comp is a good one. I still think he has some Tayshaun Prince in him. I also agree that he needs to get stronger but does seem to be really scrappy. I’m going to enjoy seeing his game progress under Carlisle.

Return to Dallas Mavericks