ImageImageImage

Mavericks Summer of 2019

Moderators: Texas Chuck, Dirk, HMFFL

bran muffin
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,677
And1: 2,656
Joined: Dec 15, 2009
     

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1821 » by bran muffin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:04 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Why do you misrepresent facts to make your argument better? They drafted guerschon yabusele, sure he's a no name, but he's played plenty in the nba. And who's to say thats who mavs would have drafted? Guess who was drafted after this guy in the same draft? Caris Lavert, Malik beasley, and some guy named Pascal Siakim, all of which are better than Powell at 11-12 mil a year.


Gee, sorry I made a mistake. I thought Yabusele never played a single game. But it turns out he averages 6.6 minutes per game while getting as many DNPs in his career as actual games played. Big whoop. Wow I'm sure the Mavs totally regret getting Dwight Powell instead of that wonderfully great player.

You're being ridiculous if you're blaming the Mavs for "missing out" on Siakam and LeVert because of that trade. LaVert an Siakam were not drafted until 20th and 27th which is way too far from the Mavs' 16th spot. You can't just nitpick the 2 best players among the dozens that were still available at 16. You're acting as if you're the only one who had a crystal ball, and none of the other teams did. You have to assume nobody had a crystal ball at all. Or assume everybody had a crystal ball, and the first 16 teams picked the 16 best players. Siakam and LaVert would be long gone by 16th if everyone had a crystal ball like you do.

You know what a self-loathing Mavs fan like you would do? He would assume the first 15 picks go exactly the way they did -- with most other teams missing their picks. And when it came to the 16th pick you blame the Mavs for not making the absolute "perfect" pick. Like you're super special with a crystal ball and none of the other teams had one.

People like you concoct hypothetical "perfect" scenarios where all other teams make mistakes, and then you blame the Mavs for not making the perfect choice in this perfect hypothetical scenario. It's very irritating.

Stop talking about your perfect hypothetical scenarios, and start talking about the actual things that happened. In that Rondo, the only thing of value the Celtics got was Jae Crowder on an expiring contract. The only thing of value the Mavs got was Dwight Powell on a rookie contract. Everything else the Mavs & Celtics got in that trade flopped equally. But you have somehow described these events as the Mavs getting "humiliated" and "got taken to the woodshed". How do you look at your own words and not recognize yourself as a self-loathing Mavs fan?
daoneandonly
General Manager
Posts: 8,202
And1: 1,267
Joined: May 27, 2004
Location: Masalaland
 

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1822 » by daoneandonly » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:11 pm

bran muffin wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Why do you misrepresent facts to make your argument better? They drafted guerschon yabusele, sure he's a no name, but he's played plenty in the nba. And who's to say thats who mavs would have drafted? Guess who was drafted after this guy in the same draft? Caris Lavert, Malik beasley, and some guy named Pascal Siakim, all of which are better than Powell at 11-12 mil a year.


Gee, sorry I made a mistake. I thought Yabusele never played a single game. But it turns out he averages 6.6 minutes per game while getting as many DNPs in his career as actual games played. Big whoop. Wow I'm sure the Mavs totally regret getting Dwight Powell instead of that wonderfully great player.

You're being ridiculous if you're blaming the Mavs for "missing out" on Siakam and LeVert because of that trade. LaVert an Siakam were not drafted until 20th and 27th which is way too far from the Mavs' 16th spot. You can't just nitpick the 2 best players among the dozens that were still available at 16. You're acting as if you're the only one who had a crystal ball, and none of the other teams did. You have to assume nobody had a crystal ball at all. Or assume everybody had a crystal ball, and the first 16 teams picked the 16 best players. Siakam and LaVert would be long gone by 16th if everyone had a crystal ball like you do.

You know what a self-loathing Mavs fan like you would do? He would assume the first 15 picks go exactly the way they did -- with most other teams missing their picks. And when it came to the 16th pick you blame the Mavs for not making the absolute "perfect" pick. Like you're super special with a crystal ball and none of the other teams had one.

People like you concoct hypothetical "perfect" scenarios where all other teams make mistakes, and then you blame the Mavs for not making the perfect choice in this perfect hypothetical scenario. It's very irritating.

Stop talking about your perfect hypothetical scenarios, and start talking about the actual things that happened. In that Rondo, the only thing of value the Celtics got was Jae Crowder on an expiring contract. The only thing of value the Mavs got was Dwight Powell on a rookie contract. Everything else the Mavs & Celtics got in that trade flopped equally. But you have somehow described these events as the Mavs getting "humiliated" and "got taken to the woodshed". How do you look at your own words and not recognize yourself as a self-loathing Mavs fan?


And jae Crowder on his contract is more valuable than powell at his, considering crowder is a better player and is cheaper. I gave a reason as to why the FO is so obsessed with Powell, and its a legitimate reason, because they need to always come away looking good and with some kind a win in a trade that wasnt good.
bran muffin
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,677
And1: 2,656
Joined: Dec 15, 2009
     

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1823 » by bran muffin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:10 pm

daoneandonly wrote:And jae Crowder on his contract is more valuable than powell at his, considering crowder is a better player and is cheaper.


Jae was buried 3rd in the Mavs' depth chart behind Parsons and Aminu. He was averaging a career low 10 mpg. Not only was Aminu was higher up in the depth chart than Jae, but he was also younger than Jae. The Mavs didn't re-sign Aminu after that season. So what makes you think the Mavs would've re-signed Jae when they didn't even bother with Aminu?

In 2015, the Mavs already had Dirk at Power Forward, and Parsons as their newly Maxed Small Forward. They targeted DeAndre Jordan to be their Max Center that summer. They were supposed to re-sign Rondo to be their Max Point Guard. But when Rondo flopped, they gave his max to Wes Matthews instead. The Mavs were planning to be super aggressive giving out max contracts in the 2015 free agency, and Jae Crowder was clearly not part of that plan.

The Mavs didn't really lose anything trading Jae away 6 months before he entered free agency.
daoneandonly
General Manager
Posts: 8,202
And1: 1,267
Joined: May 27, 2004
Location: Masalaland
 

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1824 » by daoneandonly » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:23 pm

bran muffin wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:And jae Crowder on his contract is more valuable than powell at his, considering crowder is a better player and is cheaper.


Jae was buried 3rd in the Mavs' depth chart behind Parsons and Aminu. He was averaging a career low 10 mpg. Not only was Aminu was higher up in the depth chart than Jae, but he was also younger than Jae. The Mavs didn't re-sign Aminu after that season. So what makes you think the Mavs would've re-signed Jae when they didn't even bother with Aminu?

In 2015, the Mavs already had Dirk at Power Forward, and Parsons as their newly Maxed Small Forward. They targeted DeAndre Jordan to be their Max Center that summer. They were supposed to re-sign Rondo to be their Max Point Guard. But when Rondo flopped, they gave his max to Wes Matthews instead. The Mavs were planning to be super aggressive giving out max contracts in the 2015 free agency, and Jae Crowder was clearly not part of that plan.

The Mavs didn't really lose anything trading Jae away 6 months before he entered free agency.


Well the signing of parsons is a whole other story, it was always a mistake and jae is better than him too
bobsquad
Rookie
Posts: 1,181
And1: 212
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
     

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1825 » by bobsquad » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:54 am

Parsons was a fine signing because he was the best talent we could add that summer and it was a fair deal.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,341
And1: 425
Joined: Mar 04, 2009
 

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1826 » by The Sparest » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:41 am

bobsquad wrote:Parsons was a fine signing because he was the best talent we could add that summer and it was a fair deal.

Yeah, I really liked it at the time, but the injury kind of ruined things. The Rondo mess didn't help either.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
HairyGOATee
Senior
Posts: 693
And1: 337
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1827 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:28 pm

bobsquad wrote:Parsons was a fine signing because he was the best talent we could add that summer and it was a fair deal.


I wanted Deng or Ariza instead tbh since they were 3D guys.

Was that the year Bledsoe was on the market as a RFA?
HairyGOATee
Senior
Posts: 693
And1: 337
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1828 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:29 pm

The Sparest wrote:
bobsquad wrote:Parsons was a fine signing because he was the best talent we could add that summer and it was a fair deal.

Yeah, I really liked it at the time, but the injury kind of ruined things. The Rondo mess didn't help either.


I really wish the Mavs had made a trade after the Rondo deal to get Kevin Martin, Mo Williams, and Corey Brewer from the Timberwolves. Two of those guys can shoot, something that Rondo and Monta couldn't do.
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,247
And1: 466
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1829 » by Darren » Mon Aug 5, 2019 11:14 am

The Mavs is rumored to be still of interests in AI at the right price. I wonder what right price is Memphis willing to accept, though. I don't want to go beyond Courtney, Justin and Roby.
arkuo
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,970
And1: 484
Joined: Jun 16, 2004

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1830 » by arkuo » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:19 pm

Darren wrote:The Mavs is rumored to be still of interests in AI at the right price. I wonder what right price is Memphis willing to accept, though. I don't want to go beyond Courtney, Justin and Roby.



Hard to believe Cuban will trade 25 year old Justin Jackson to get half a season of Andre Iguodala.

If Iggy was 28, I'd take the risk for that.
User avatar
dirkules_41
Veteran
Posts: 2,723
And1: 332
Joined: Mar 06, 2007
       

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1831 » by dirkules_41 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 10:42 pm

arkuo wrote:
Darren wrote:The Mavs is rumored to be still of interests in AI at the right price. I wonder what right price is Memphis willing to accept, though. I don't want to go beyond Courtney, Justin and Roby.



Hard to believe Cuban will trade 25 year old Justin Jackson to get half a season of Andre Iguodala.

If Iggy was 28, I'd take the risk for that.

Yeah that's just Darren hating on JJ for some odd reasons.
gh123
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,848
And1: 1,196
Joined: Feb 17, 2016

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1832 » by gh123 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:12 am

I think Justin played pretty well for us. Too bad he's not 21 so I don't think he'll improve a lot, but he can be a good bench SF for 20mpg.
HairyGOATee
Senior
Posts: 693
And1: 337
Joined: Jun 07, 2019
         

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1833 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:19 am

Darren wrote:The Mavs is rumored to be still of interests in AI at the right price. I wonder what right price is Memphis willing to accept, though. I don't want to go beyond Courtney, Justin and Roby.


If the Mavs want Iggy, then this should be the trade.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y6zautfd

Opens up another roster spot for the Mavs too.
XTraderXL
Pro Prospect
Posts: 855
And1: 692
Joined: Dec 07, 2015

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1834 » by XTraderXL » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:52 pm

Just saw the latest photo of Luka and he really does look much better than last year. You can actually see some muscle definition :D
Imon
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,632
And1: 4,513
Joined: Oct 18, 2012
Location: Ft. Worth

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1835 » by Imon » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:30 am

Apparently Jalen Brunson is on the USA select team.
How have I not heard about this? :confused:

Anyways, the USA senior team and select team scrimmaged in Las Vegas today and Brunson ... didn't do too great.
Here are the highlights from the event and the BOX SCORE.
Brunson had 8pts, 6rbs, 2ast, 2stls, on 3/11 shooting.


I suspect Brunson at some point in his career wants a chance to play with Team USA although I'm not sure he has the ceiling for that.
I'm actually glad Slovenia is not going to play in the FIBA world cup since I think Luka would be pressured to play.

Always hated Dirk playing for Team Germany but it meant so much to him that the Mavs just rolled with it. I still believe Dirk playing for Team Germany after winning the championship messed his knees up for two season. Dirk had virtually no break from the NBA postseason to playing and trying to qualify Germany for the 2012 Olympics.
Darren
RealGM
Posts: 11,247
And1: 466
Joined: Nov 06, 2003

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1836 » by Darren » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:18 am

Who're the starters? As of today, I'd pencil in Curry as fifth starter for basketball reasons. Curry, Wright, Barea and Brunson is way too deep. And Luka possibly play better defense at 3 than 2. I really don't think it's up to TH, DFS and JJ 2.0 for the fifth starter role. It's easily Curry for me since the Mavs need shooter alongside Luka and Zinger. And Curry would play a lot of clutch minutes. It's better to have Curry start in case the goal is to contend. Of course, if the goal is to tank, things could go completely different.
wolfram
Sophomore
Posts: 182
And1: 123
Joined: May 21, 2018
 

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1837 » by wolfram » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Imon wrote:Apparently Jalen Brunson is on the USA select team.
How have I not heard about this? :confused:

Anyways, the USA senior team and select team scrimmaged in Las Vegas today and Brunson ... didn't do too great.
Here are the highlights from the event and the BOX SCORE.
Brunson had 8pts, 6rbs, 2ast, 2stls, on 3/11 shooting.


I suspect Brunson at some point in his career wants a chance to play with Team USA although I'm not sure he has the ceiling for that.
I'm actually glad Slovenia is not going to play in the FIBA world cup since I think Luka would be pressured to play.

Always hated Dirk playing for Team Germany but it meant so much to him that the Mavs just rolled with it. I still believe Dirk playing for Team Germany after winning the championship messed his knees up for two season. Dirk had virtually no break from the NBA postseason to playing and trying to qualify Germany for the 2012 Olympics.


Luka will play for Slovenia whenever possible. You can book it.
deb
Junior
Posts: 296
And1: 320
Joined: May 27, 2014
Location: Slovenia

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1838 » by deb » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Well, he hasn't last offseason, and Slovenia failed to qualify for the world cup. Slovenia is so bereft of talent after Dragic's retirement, it's almost like Dirk having to carry Germany to respectability by himself...
Imon
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,632
And1: 4,513
Joined: Oct 18, 2012
Location: Ft. Worth

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1839 » by Imon » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:49 pm

deb wrote:Well, he hasn't last offseason, and Slovenia failed to qualify for the world cup. Slovenia is so bereft of talent after Dragic's retirement, it's almost like Dirk having to carry Germany to respectability by himself...


This is what I'm afraid of...
I admire ones desire to play for ones country and Luka is certainly the star of Slovenian basketball but if he ends up being the only NBA-level talent on his team (like Dirk w/Germany) the responsibilities will be too great. Funny thing, Germany has a pretty sizable population (way bigger than Slovenia) but never managed to surrounded Dirk with good teammates.
This isn't like Pau on the Spanish national team where basically all the starters on that team were quality NBA players or even France where they had a bunch of NBA starters too.

Ultimately, as a Mavs fan, I'd be OK with Luka playing for the national team up until he gets near his late-20's then he should probably focus on his NBA career. Dirk really did himself in by trying to carry the national team at 33 years old.

Darren wrote:Who're the starters? As of today, I'd pencil in Curry as fifth starter for basketball reasons. Curry, Wright, Barea and Brunson is way too deep. And Luka possibly play better defense at 3 than 2. I really don't think it's up to TH, DFS and JJ 2.0 for the fifth starter role. It's easily Curry for me since the Mavs need shooter alongside Luka and Zinger. And Curry would play a lot of clutch minutes. It's better to have Curry start in case the goal is to contend. Of course, if the goal is to tank, things could go completely different.


I have it as

1. Wright
2. THJ
3. Luka
4. KP
5. Powell

The SG spot concerns me ... Curry could be in that spot since he's probably the Mavs best 3pt shooter but he's undersized.
The guard situation to me is the thing that most intrigues me ... or could end up in disaster.

I hear a lot of people say that RC is good with NBA guards but honestly, I don't know if that's true.
He butted heads with Kidd when he first got here and had to learn to lay off of him.
He famously butted heads with Rondo (this I don't blame on RC - I just think Rondo's a d**k).
Darren Collison never got consistent minutes and would be yanked and benched unceremoniously by RC.
OJ Mayo proved to be really mediocre here even with Dirk as his teammate.

Mavs have had some pretty underwhelming guard play post-championship. Pretty much the only guy I look back fondly on is Monta Ellis. So ... I'm hoping this guard log-jam situation turns out great but I get a feeling it's going to be a bit of a disaster.
jpengland
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,274
And1: 4,426
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
   

Re: Mavericks Summer of 2019 

Post#1840 » by jpengland » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:03 am

Darren wrote:Who're the starters? As of today, I'd pencil in Curry as fifth starter for basketball reasons. Curry, Wright, Barea and Brunson is way too deep. And Luka possibly play better defense at 3 than 2. I really don't think it's up to TH, DFS and JJ 2.0 for the fifth starter role. It's easily Curry for me since the Mavs need shooter alongside Luka and Zinger. And Curry would play a lot of clutch minutes. It's better to have Curry start in case the goal is to contend. Of course, if the goal is to tank, things could go completely different.


I don't see Luka and Curry starting due to defensive issues.

DFS, Jackson and possibly Courtney Lee will fight for that 5th spot. Curry and THJ will get the majority of their burn against second units where they can fill it up without worrying too much about going the other way.

I would also start Maxi next to Porzingis.

Return to Dallas Mavericks