dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,856

The Dirk Wilt countdown 

Post#1 » by dirkules_41 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:23 pm

If ESPN is up to date already then it's

6 Wilt Chamberlain 31,419
7 DIRK NOWITZKI 31,340

I know he needed to average something like 4.4 for the rest of the season if he played all games but the last two games he obviously scored in double digits so we might need to put a watch on.

Looks like it's 79 points to go. Let's go Dirk!
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,926

Re: The Dirk Wilt countdown 

Post#2 » by Archx » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:31 pm

I hope he achieves that in Dallas with a 10 min standing ovation from the crowd. He had such an amazing career.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:42 pm

Are we sure he’s going to get there?
FIRE JASON KIDD
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#4 » by Teffer10 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:02 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Are we sure he’s going to get there?

Yes because Mavs will do everything they can to get him those points....he only needs about 3.5 pts per game.
Look for the Mavs to revert to the Mavs of old by having a lot of the offense go through Dirk.

That alone will help put butts in the seats the rest of the season.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,901

Post#5 » by Dirk » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:00 pm

It's both emotional and so weird to see him almost being forced to retire when he so clearly is trying hard to prove to himself that "he can still play". It has been very rough and that injury has really derailed things, but I have no doubt he didn't want to retire this year. And even now he works towards finishing the year well "trying to prove he doesn't have to retire". Now, with how rough it has been for him to get to a good place physically and all these public "homages", the man almost has to retire, despite the fact that he is still trying to compete.

I don't want him to retire. Seems like he has really good chemistry with Luka and likely KP and even if he didn't play, his presence would be valuable to both of them. I never thought I'd get used to him being in a small role, but I think it'd be cool to see him back another year, in a small role off the bench, like he has basically had this year --- but obviously this is dependant on him showing that he still has enough legs. This is a moot point though. Feels like even if he still finishes the year well and showing enough to make you think "ok, he looked really bad but maybe more because of the injury and not because of old age", he is still going to retire.

And yeah, I never really cared for statistical milestones, but for a while, I have thought about having some sort of countdown for this thing. With not much to play for this year, this is a cool thing since it's so close and at one point looked like it wasn't happening.

I remember posting this on youtube for the 30000 point game:

Always one of my favorite plays...
Gfycat Video - Click to Play
60/21/10
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,856

Post#6 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:55 am

11 points tonight, so 69 to overtake and 68 to tie Wilt.
Dirkules
Sophomore
And1: 110

Post#7 » by Dirkules » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:48 am

Dirk wrote:It's both emotional and so weird to see him almost being forced to retire when he so clearly is trying hard to prove to himself that "he can still play". It has been very rough and that injury has really derailed things, but I have no doubt he didn't want to retire this year. And even now he works towards finishing the year well "trying to prove he doesn't have to retire". Now, with how rough it has been for him to get to a good place physically and all these public "homages", the man almost has to retire, despite the fact that he is still trying to compete.

I don't want him to retire. Seems like he has really good chemistry with Luka and likely KP and even if he didn't play, his presence would be valuable to both of them. I never thought I'd get used to him being in a small role, but I think it'd be cool to see him back another year, in a small role off the bench, like he has basically had this year --- but obviously this is dependant on him showing that he still has enough legs. This is a moot point though. Feels like even if he still finishes the year well and showing enough to make you think "ok, he looked really bad but maybe more because of the injury and not because of old age", he is still going to retire.

And yeah, I never really cared for statistical milestones, but for a while, I have thought about having some sort of countdown for this thing. With not much to play for this year, this is a cool thing since it's so close and at one point looked like it wasn't happening.

I remember posting this on youtube for the 30000 point game:

Always one of my favorite plays...
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Yup. He did it at home over Larry Nance Jr.

On March 16th, the Cavs and Larry Nance jr come to Dallas. Hmmm.

I'd die laughing if he got to 30,000 and passes Wilt on a shot over Nance Jr.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#8 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:18 pm

Read on Twitter
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#9 » by burek3 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:39 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

Haha Dirk chasing another ring :D
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#10 » by fuller4379 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:58 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

I have mixed emotions about this. I want Dirk to have a more productive final season, but I am also to move on to the next generation. Dirk seems to like play better as a starter and I don’t see that happening next year.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#11 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:52 pm

fuller4379 wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

I have mixed emotions about this. I want Dirk to have a more productive final season, but I am also to move on to the next generation. Dirk seems to like play better as a starter and I don’t see that happening next year.

Yeah I mean he was pretty reserved with his answer. Ideally should this be his last season? Yeah, but if he wants to come back and feels like he’s physically able, I can’t argue with that. It’s up to him to decide.

All the farewell and sendoff stuff he’s getting is just a sign of respect to me. He wants to go out the same way duncan did by not saying for sure that it’s his last year ahead of time. So he’s getting it anyway with the likelihood that this is it. I really don’t think it’d be awkward if he came back.

Regardless, just the idea of being able to say, “I scored more points in NBA history than Wilt **** Chamberlain” is pretty cool :)
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#12 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:13 pm

fuller4379 wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

I will gladly take him for another season.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#13 » by J_T » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:31 pm

Bring it on.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,901

Post#14 » by Dirk » Fri Mar 1, 2019 9:30 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:

The other day they mentioned on Fox Sports Southwest that Darrell Armstrong was a must watch on interview. I had no idea what it was about. I watched it and was floored. I was going to upload it, but turns out someone else did:

If you want to fast forward, skip to 1:45
60/21/10
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#15 » by HMFFL » Sat Mar 2, 2019 12:05 am

Thank you Dirk for posting that.

Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Post#16 » by Absinthe » Sat Mar 2, 2019 2:10 am

I think Dirk’s original plan was to play this year and one final year next year. The tendon issue really screwed with his conditioning. You can tell that he’s just now getting comfortable and healthy and it’s mostly because he missed the first two months+. He’s not finished and I think it’s been both premature and disrespectful to basically announce his retirement for him.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#17 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 2, 2019 11:41 pm

Archx wrote:I hope he achieves that in Dallas with a 10 min standing ovation from the crowd. He had such an amazing career.

I would love for him to get it in Dallas too but honestly he will likely get that 10 min standing ovation no matter what city he is in.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#18 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 2, 2019 11:48 pm

HMFFL wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

I will gladly take him for another season.

Exactly. For what he has brought to the Mavs organization and for what he has brought to me as a fan, he can play as long as he wants and I will be here cheering him on.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#19 » by Teffer10 » Sun Mar 3, 2019 1:00 am

I think it is clear that Dirk is at his best as a starter.
Which poses the question....does Dirk start with KP next season if he doesn't retire?
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#20 » by fuller4379 » Sat Mar 9, 2019 1:28 am

Return to Dallas Mavericks