ImageImageImage

RS 18/19 - G70 - Mavs v Pelicans

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Absinthe
Pro Prospect
And1: 452

Re: RS 18/19 - G70 - Mavs v Pelicans 

Post#21 » by Absinthe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:35 am

Pinkyring wrote:It's really miserable rooting for losses, had we done this all season and just kept only young guys it'd be easier, we put ourselves in a hole being dumb chasing the playoffs

I agree. If they knew they were going to try to make s big splash at the trade deadline, what was the point of competing for the playoffs the first half of the season?
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,411

Post#22 » by Revived » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:47 am

Archx wrote:It's an absolute mystery to me how Doncic can't make open shots or open layups.. But even bigger mystery why didn't Dirk receive a 10 min standing ovation :( .. I expected more than a quick applause :P

But gz to Dirk, amazing achievement!

The Mavs have literally ruined Doncic’s legs. They let him play through games that he was obviously hobbled in and on top of that, he plays very heavy minutes.

He’s gonna need every minute of the 5 months off that’s coming up.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,970

Post#23 » by Archx » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:29 am

Revived wrote:
Archx wrote:It's an absolute mystery to me how Doncic can't make open shots or open layups.. But even bigger mystery why didn't Dirk receive a 10 min standing ovation :( .. I expected more than a quick applause :P

But gz to Dirk, amazing achievement!

The Mavs have literally ruined Doncic’s legs. They let him play through games that he was obviously hobbled in and on top of that, he plays very heavy minutes.

He’s gonna need every minute of the 5 months off that’s coming up.

Heh, don't know mate, i think he is stubborn himself as well. He said many times that he wants to play every game even if slightly injured. Don't know obviously know how much of that is true but i guess he really doesn't want to sit. On one hand i like it but on the other, like you said, he would have to be in a MUCH better shape in order to push his body to higher limits.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#24 » by Bob8 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:55 am

Luka is not tired. the problem is, that he's not playing his game. he never was and probably never will be a volume scorer, he's at best, when he's playing for others primary. He needs to be surrounded with good shooters and someone to play pick&roll with. Current Mavs team is just totally opposite of that. Things will change a lot with KP, but Mavs desperately needs some 3&D players too.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#25 » by arkuo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:22 am

Bob8 wrote:Luka is not tired. the problem is, that he's not playing his game. he never was and probably never will be a volume scorer, he's at best, when he's playing for others primary. He needs to be surrounded with good shooters and someone to play pick&roll with. Current Mavs team is just totally opposite of that. Things will change a lot with KP, but Mavs desperately needs some 3&D players too.

This. 100%.

Luka is more Magic Johnson than Kobe Bryant. And most fans need to come to terms to that instead of hoping Doncic scores 60ppg all on step back threes. We get that Doncic gives Europeans pride and all. But he also needs help around him. Having KP back next year should help. Along with some other pieces who can score at a high %.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#26 » by fuller4379 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:29 am

That game was snatching defeat out of the claws of victory.

Up 4 with 19 seconds to go. New Orleans makes a 3 with 9 seconds to go. Mavs make a bad inbound pass. It gets stolen and the Mavs are behind by 1 with 5 seconds.

Luka gets fouled with 1 second to go. Could have won the game but only makes 1 of 2 to send game to overtime.
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#27 » by wolfram » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:09 pm

That inbound pass was the highlight. Can't blame Luka for missing a FT, knowing how much he struggles at the line right now.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#28 » by Pinkyring » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:30 pm

Bob8 wrote:Luka is not tired. the problem is, that he's not playing his game. he never was and probably never will be a volume scorer, he's at best, when he's playing for others primary. He needs to be surrounded with good shooters and someone to play pick&roll with. Current Mavs team is just totally opposite of that. Things will change a lot with KP, but Mavs desperately needs some 3&D players too.

Well regardless, his shot selection is terrible, my hope is that he is forcing things because he knows he doesn't have help but goodness i am sick of the stupid low iq step backs and launching 30 footers
Rn5ho
Junior
And1: 376

Post#29 » by Rn5ho » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:01 pm

Good guy Luka, won us the loss! True tank commander with his FTs, making it seem believable by scoring low % all season :)
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#30 » by XTraderXL » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:04 pm

wolfram wrote:That inbound pass was the highlight. Can't blame Luka for missing a FT, knowing how much he struggles at the line right now.

Thats the first time I hear that you cant blame the FT shooter for a missed FT. Thats some logic right there :noway:
Archx
RealGM

Post#31 » by Archx » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:10 pm

arkuo wrote:

This. 100%.

Luka is more Magic Johnson than Kobe Bryant. And most fans need to come to terms to that instead of hoping Doncic scores 60ppg all on step back threes. We get that Doncic gives Europeans pride and all. But he also needs help around him. Having KP back next year should help. Along with some other pieces who can score at a high %.

Again, who is expecting him to score so many points each night? It's more about making the right play and also taking more reasonable shots instead of forcing long 3 pointers over defenders ( which is something other people already pointed out).

Pelicans didn't even defend him after Powell set up a screen for him. If you watched closely, you could see that they opened up entire space for him to take a mid range shot but instead he either went to the rim where he was met with 2 defenders or passed the ball out to an open guy ( which was an ok play). But long term, he'll have to take those open mid range 2 pointers. He has the talent, he has the tools, no reason not to develop a deadly mid range game. Which will also open up more space for him.

Game already comes easy for him, now it's all about picking the right spot on the floor where you are most comfortable and go from there. It's basically the same principle how other great players/shooters improved their game through their career. Efficiency is the key for Luka, having better team mates will obviously help a ton, but he can also help himself on the long run if he can improve on his mid range game. It's also something Lebron didn't have early on and he was constantly being criticized for until he improved his shot.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#32 » by Bob8 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:36 pm

Archx wrote:
arkuo wrote:

This. 100%.

Again, who is expecting him to score so many points each night? It's more about making the right play and also taking more reasonable shots instead of forcing long 3 pointers over defenders ( which is something other people already pointed out).

Pelicans didn't even defend him after Powell set up a screen for him. If you watched closely, you could see that they opened up entire space for him to take a mid range shot but instead he either went to the rim where he was met with 2 defenders or passed the ball out to an open guy ( which was an ok play). But long term, he'll have to take those open mid range 2 pointers. He has the talent, he has the tools, no reason not to develop a deadly mid range game. Which will also open up more space for him.

Game already comes easy for him, now it's all about picking the right spot on the floor where you are most comfortable and go from there. It's basically the same principle how other great players/shooters improved their game through their career. Efficiency is the key for Luka, having better team mates will obviously help a ton, but he can also help himself on the long run if he can improve on his mid range game. It's also something Lebron didn't have early on and he was constantly being criticized for until he improved his shot.

He was taking 14.5 shots in 2018 and he’s taking 20 shots in March. 26 yesterday. It’s just too much, at least for his current capabilities. But Mavs don’t have many other options and their ball movement is not exactly the best. His shot selection will change, when KP returns and when Mavs start to play more organized basketball.
It’s useless to say he should taken midrange shots, he doesn’t have midrange game at all. Even floaters are pretty bad at the moment. I agree he should develop midrange game, but that’s easier to say than done. He will need few years.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#33 » by arkuo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
arkuo wrote:
This. 100%.

He was taking 14.5 shots in 2018 and he’s taking 20 shots in March. 26 yesterday. It’s just too much, at least for his current capabilities. But Mavs don’t have many other options and their ball movement is not exactly the best. His shot selection will change, when KP returns and when Mavs start to play more organized basketball.
It’s useless to say he should taken midrange shots, he doesn’t have midrange game at all. Even floaters are pretty bad at the moment. I agree he should develop midrange game, but that’s easier to say than done. He will need few years.

The key here will be our developmental coaches moving forward. If we are projecting Luka to be Magic, and KP has all the potential to score as much as Kareem. Then we need them to develop that way in the coming years.

But more than that, and given what we have on our plate, Donnie and Mark have to go out and find our own James Worthy to add to that duo. Be it in the 2019 Draft or the free agent pool.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by XTraderXL » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:07 pm

I dont get it. Why woudnt you try to make Luka the primary scorer? The guy is out of shape, his body is not close to its max potential and yet he is already scoring pretty efficiently on high volume, exceeding every single expectation for his rookie season. He has proven that he can do it all so why in the world would you want to limit his scoring? He can create his own shot whenever he wants, all he needs to do is raise the shooting %. There are only a handful of players in the NBA that can do this as well as Luka does it and he is a rookie.

It really seems to me that some of you want to put him in a box and wrap him in bubblewrap so that he doesnt break. The guy is an athlete and if we want him to reach his full potential, let him do what he is good at. And I would say scoring has been one of the best aspects of his game this year.
Archx
RealGM

Post#35 » by Archx » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:28 pm

XTraderXL wrote:I dont get it. Why woudnt you try to make Luka the primary scorer? The guy is out of shape, his body is not close to its max potential and yet he is already scoring pretty efficiently on high volume, exceeding every single expectation for his rookie season. He has proven that he can do it all so why in the world would you want to limit his scoring? He can create his own shot whenever he wants, all he needs to do is raise the shooting %. There are only a handful of players in the NBA that can do this as well as Luka does it and he is a rookie.

It really seems to me that some of you want to put him in a box and wrap him in bubblewrap so that he doesnt break. The guy is an athlete and if we want him to reach his full potential, let him do what he is good at. And I would say scoring has been one of the best aspects of his game this year.

Because that's not his game. He models his game after Lebron, it's quite obvious by now. The only difference is, he is obviously not as strong and athletic as LBJ, so a lot of times he forces up shots when he could have easily just blow by his defender.

When it comes to shooting, he said himself after the game that he was shocked how many times he shot the ball and he didn't like that.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by XTraderXL » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:56 pm

Archx wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:I dont get it. Why woudnt you try to make Luka the primary scorer? The guy is out of shape, his body is not close to its max potential and yet he is already scoring pretty efficiently on high volume, exceeding every single expectation for his rookie season. He has proven that he can do it all so why in the world would you want to limit his scoring? He can create his own shot whenever he wants, all he needs to do is raise the shooting %. There are only a handful of players in the NBA that can do this as well as Luka does it and he is a rookie.

Because that's not his game. He models his game after Lebron, it's quite obvious by now. The only difference is, he is obviously not as strong and athletic as LBJ, so a lot of times he forces up shots when he could have easily just blow by his defender.

When it comes to shooting, he said himself after the game that he was shocked how many times he shot the ball and he didn't like that.

Its been his game all season and is doing just fine. And of course he said he was shocked about how many shots he took. He didnt even realise it during the game which tells you he was feeling comfortable shooting and attacking the basket. That is what you want from your best player. And do you think he would have said that if his % was 50 instead of 38 in that game?

I think what some of you guys are saying is ridiculous. Besides that, you say that he models his game after LBJ which is fine. But tell me how many times in his career LBJ was not the primary scorer on his team?
Archx
RealGM

Post#37 » by Archx » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:02 pm

XTraderXL wrote:
Archx wrote:

Its been his game all season and is doing just fine. And of course he said he was shocked about how many shots he took. He didnt even realise it during the game which tells you he was feeling comfortable shooting and attacking the basket. That is what you want from your best player. And do you think he would have said that if his % was 50 instead of 38 in that game?

I think what some of you guys are saying is ridiculous. Besides that, you say that he models his game after LBJ which is fine. But tell me how many times in his career LBJ was not the primary scorer on his team?

I know what you mean and in general i don't disagree with you. But you mentioned that he should be a high volume scorer which means a lot of shots. And truth is, right now, he is not shooting at a high efficiency. At the start of the season when he was somewhat fresh, his shot % was really high, if he could somehow sustain that next season, he will be really great.

Return to Dallas Mavericks